Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day 3

Options
  • 03-06-2010 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

I'm 33 next month and have been smoking since I was 11. Today is my third day off them. I've tried every method I've heard of from hypnotism to acupuncture to Champix and nothing ever worked. So this time, for a change, I've decided just to stop smoking...and it seems to be working.

I did no preparing this time either. Just decided on Monday night that the 1st of June was as good a day as any so I smoked my last one, threw away the rest and went to bed. I know its early days but this is literally the longest I've gone without nicotine in 20 years.

Reading everyone else's experiences has really helped me so far so I thought I should post something to keep track of my own progress. Shockingly I think I can do this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Pretty stressful day in work today and still havent even come close to smoking.

Pretty happy with myself.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Pretty stressful day in work today and still havent even come close to smoking.

Pretty happy with myself.... :)

Ssshhhh....noone cares

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Well done, Im on my 6 day :) so far so good. Using nicorette inhaler, and collecting E-cig after work ¬¬

Well done rockdrummer.
    My girlfriend is off them too and using the patches. I'm on cold turkey myself. She's gone home to Poland for the week which is probably saving our relationship :rolleyes:

Polish woman - lucky u, that would help me take my mind of them....

Dont understand why its still so hard using the nicorette inhaler, im still getting my nicotine :(.... Ah fingers crossed.

Best of luck...

• Advertisement

hehe...yeah I am pretty lucky :)

I've found reading this forum has helped me loads.

Also this is full of gems:
    http://whyquit.com

Good luck staying off them. Hopfully we'll both be back on here after the weekend talking about how we made it....

Yep hope so.... weekend will be tough !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Turnsout....there's a bottle of your favourite red and the nicest dark chocolate on its way to you if you stay off them.

You can do it!!

Woke up 6am this morning and I had the urge. Jumped on my bike and did a lap of Howth...there is so much wrong with that; anyone who knows me wouldnt believe it. But got home and no cravings at all now.

This is almost too easy...I'm waiting for it to be harder than this.

Well I made it through the bank holiday weekend without any cigs! :D

Yesterday was a little hard. I got a few intense cravings but I think what stopped me was the thought that if I had one cigarette I would have to start all over again.

I did a lap of Howth on the bike at 7am again. Very enjoyable cycle...

So this is day 8.

• Advertisement

Hey,

glad to hear you made it through the weekend :) I had 2 smokes on Friday night, but thats all :( My e-cig arrived on Friday and it is great (i hear u ask yourself if its sooo great why did he smoke on Friday night? I had a few and i gave in)...

Anyway the ecig I think is great, really gets u over the urges, afterall its just vapour and nicotine, so not tooo harmful except the addiction. Will see how it goes....

2 cigs on Friday night is completely forgivable, especially since you arent going the cold turkey route. From reading the ecigarette thread it seems like an excellent method to quid. My only worry about it would be that you are still keeping the addiction active so I would try to have a quit date for them too...

Anyway well done on progress so far.

Thats my fear aswell, staying addicted to nicotine.... but I have tried the cold turkey and always end back up on them :( this way I can get rid of the cravings, but I do find Im not arsed smoking as much as...

We'll c...

My head has been telling me that I want to be a smoker all day today. That this isnt worth it and so what if I knock a few years off the end.
    Weird thoughts like I am happy to smoke and what the hell am I gonna do instead. TBH my breaks in work are pointless now and its really been annoying me when my old smoking buddies go out for one. I've gone with them a few times but have decided not to do that for a while.

Another prob is my teeth seem to be clenched really tight today.

Today has been hard...and its only 11am.

Meh.

hold on in there, dont let the tricks work.... thats why I have my e-cig so I wont be tempted.....

good luck

Cheers man.

Its actually passed now and I'm fine.
    Cravings are bloody mental.

My Quit Date

31/05/10

Days Smoke Free

Money Saved

€96.75

This is pretty easy now. I cant believe it but I am moving further on from being a smoker every day now.
    I am getting the odd craving but only when there's some situation where I would always have had one like after a BBQ in my brother's back garden this evening but I only thought of it once and it passed in seconds.

I honestly never thought I would make it to two days when I started this which is why this thread is called day 3 and not my quitlog or whatever.

Anyway just wanted to post up that this can be done and once you get past the hard bit at the start it is only about remembering that you dont smoke anymore and taking that first puff.

Oh and this:

My Quit Date

31/05/10

Days Smoke Free

Money Saved

€172

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Well done man - always a boost to read of storming successes like your's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Keep it going. You're right- the first week or two is the hardest. But don't get complacent either - that wolf keeps howling at the door for another while yet. It's great to not be reliant on a leaf wrapped in paper though :)

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote: »
    Keep it going. You're right- the first week or two is the hardest. But don't get complacent either - that wolf keeps howling at the door for another while yet. It's great to not be reliant on a leaf wrapped in paper though :)

Thanks man. Your thread helped me a massive amount at the start by the way. Even using exercise as a distraction was inspired by your running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm happy that I was able to help in some small way :) It actually means a lot when people say that. A guy in work a few weeks ago stopped me and told me that I'd inspired him and he'd quit smoking. tbh I didn't even know his name but he knew I was a heavy smoker who'd gone cold turkey so he figured he could too. He's still off them. And I was chatting to a guy in work today whose wife had their first child on Saturday morning and he's not smoked since. Two weeks ago I gave him some nicorette gum I'd bought 18 months ago and not used. He's using them now and it's helping him - and if it works for him then great :)

But that all said never forget you're doing the work yourself - and you're well on the way. I smoked on Day 8 - you've skipped that milestone :) Day 30, 40, 50 - they're all coming up and you will get through them. It's all in the mind - and you've made yours up it seems :)

So I'm coming up to the end of my first month as an ex-smoker.

I've been in so many situations that I would have thought would make me cave and I just havent. I think I was ready to stop this time and thats the difference to all my previous failed attempts. I've been to a couple of gigs and been out drinking a bunch of times. I've had loads of work stress. I split up with my gf and have had plenty of other stresses but havent caved and I feel so much better for it.

The cycling has helped so much with this too. Have done almost 400km this month and my body is getting fit. My sense of taste and smell are improving every day and when I go to a restaurant I am no longer nipping out for smokes constantly. I am sleeping better and seem to need less sleep now.

As time goes on I am wondering more and more what the hell I was doing smoking all that time. I dont miss them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DryCleanOnly

So I'm coming up to the end of my first month as an ex-smoker.

I've been in so many situations that I would have thought would make me cave and I just havent. I think I was ready to stop this time and thats the difference to all my previous failed attempts. I've been to a couple of gigs and been out drinking a bunch of times. I've had loads of work stress. I split up with my gf and have had plenty of other stresses but havent caved and I feel so much better for it.

The cycling has helped so much with this too. Have done almost 400km this month and my body is getting fit. My sense of taste and smell are improving every day and when I go to a restaurant I am no longer nipping out for smokes constantly. I am sleeping better and seem to need less sleep now.

As time goes on I am wondering more and more what the hell I was doing smoking all that time. I dont miss them at all.

Well done you should be very proud of yourself, i quit (cold Turkey) on the 23rd of June last year the day before my 24th birthday. I feel so much better for doing so, although i put on a bit of weight i find that going to the gym 3 days a week has really helped me stay off the cigarettes and has given me something to focus on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Fair play, and congrats to both of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Good for you! Good reading here. I gave up 6 mnths ago and I've been knocking around this forum. I actually feel really proud for strangers on the internet when I see how far they've come.

Its a wonderful journey being a non-smoker and apart from a couple of hard moments here and there it just gets better.....

Enjoy! And congrats on your first month! :)

Advertisement