Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tractor service quote

• 03-06-2010 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Have a 05 massey 5445. Rang a MF dealer in the midlands yesterday to get a price for a service. Quoted me 1275 Euro for a 1200 hour service!! After some silence on my end of the phone, he said that they would do it for 950 Eur - best price!

Thats mad money for a service.

There was 1150 hours on the tractor when i bought it about 18 months ago. I have about 650 hours clocked up since that.

How are people getting their tractors serviced out there?

We had a 390 before this one and we used to change the oil and filters every 8 - 10 months and never had any problems with them.

The 5445 is bit more complicated - lots of electronics and all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

have had a 1200 hr service on 5455 last year from massey dealer..nothing like that expensive, cant remember exactly but thats daylight robbery..its not flynns is it by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

thats daylight robbery..its not flynns is it by any chance?

correct!

Can you give a rough idea what it cost yea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

well like i say I cant really remember, it was maybe in the 400-450 bracket, it was lumped in with a big bill to fix up baler, I would have to look at receipt to be sure and that stuff is with accountant now..a friend of mine bought a trctor of those lads..from what he tells me they are something else

..a friend of mine bought a trctor of those lads..from what he tells me they are something else

...in a good or a bad way?

Was on the phone again to them and if i drop the tractor down, they will do it for 750 - still waaay too pricey for me to be honest!!

How did you find them to deal with.
    Do they do a good service?

I wouldnt mind getting the tractor a good service with a good MF dealer - give it a good once over as they say (get SW upgrades, clutched checked and the lot).

Are there any other MF dealers around Ferbane/Athlone area (midlands) that you can recommend?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ouch.

Would you not do it yourself? Our NH hasn't see a main dealer in 3500 hours and 10 years.

• Advertisement

i am thinking along those lines.
    I was just thinking of getting a good service on it through an MF dealer as i do plan on holding onto her for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i am sure if you got the parts there are plenty of lads that would do it for you as a nixer:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

dryan wrote: »
    i am thinking along those lines.
    I was just thinking of getting a good service on it through an MF dealer as i do plan on holding onto her for a while.

You would do as well yourself. Look at the service schedule and see what needs doing. The operators handbook normally details the steps involved in routine servicing as well.

I think a full service in the NH costs about €300 in filters, but really if you are doing the oil and filter when you should you are doing better than most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

try jj healion in tullamore. Used to be a MF dealer but retired from it all but his son his doing a lot of repair work on MFs. He has all the diagnostics stuff and what not and his charges are very keen, bout half the price of main dealer labour costs. he has done work for us and have no complaints. Must try pull out his number but he should be in phonebook i'd say.

regards
    colm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

my uncle was thinking off getting a mf6480 off flynns in mullingar, are they really that bad??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Got my 5460 serviced by Martins last year, they called out to the yard and I think it was circa €500.... Those boys must be busy if they are quoting you those figures....

Cheers, will be shopping around a bit more methinks!

Regarding a DIY job, yeah, i would normally hve no problem changing oil/filters, etc. Have done this on teh 390 in the past and never had an ounce of trouble with it. This is one of those 1200 hrs service that i would like to get an MF dealer to do - get all diagnostics stuff checked properly.

The lad down the road doing the nixers doesnt have the equipment to do a proper check.

Will try healions in tullamore.
    Where are Martins based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Martins are in Baileboro Cavan. Main dealers. Used to be with MF dealers that they would not cross into each others patches for customers or servicing... those days are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Apprentice Mechanic

locha wrote: »
    Martins are in Baileboro Cavan. Main dealers. Used to be with MF dealers that they would not cross into each others patches for customers or servicing... those days are gone.
    Did Martins lose the MF dealership just going by your message? I alaways taught they were reasonable to deal to with for parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

dryan wrote: »
    Cheers, will be shopping around a bit more methinks!

Regarding a DIY job, yeah, i would normally hve no problem changing oil/filters, etc. Have done this on teh 390 in the past and never had an ounce of trouble with it. This is one of those 1200 hrs service that i would like to get an MF dealer to do - get all diagnostics stuff checked properly.

The lad down the road doing the nixers doesnt have the equipment to do a proper check.

Will try healions in tullamore.
    Where are Martins based?

Hard to know if they would bother their arses doin anything more than a filter service and a spanner check.........diagnostics.....mmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

hold on a sec

quick tot
    80 ltrs of hydraulic oil €280
    20 ltrs engine oil €70
    10ltrs gear oil €40
    10ltrs coolant €20

oil filters 4 ~ €100
    air filters engine + cab ??? €50 at least
    2 hrs labour (if he was on go slow) €120

A good fitter spotting a minor problem that could turn into a big problem down the line is worth allot. I would like to get an experience guy to look over the tractor every 1200 hrs. update software and clear fault lists or explore fault code reasons

above amounts to €700 already and there are a few more bits and bobs. Give your dealer a break if they are close to the mark. Having one on your side in a time of bother is worth allot. I find mine reasonable for work done and back up service second to none. fitter available on phone 24/7 all of which isnt charged. There aint money in the game, also farmers arent the quickest to pay (oops, I have a outstanding bill now as I think of it). If you feel you are getting your leg lifted, well then move on

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Apprentice Mechanic

hold on a sec

quick tot
    80 ltrs of hydraulic oil €280
    20 ltrs engine oil €70
    10ltrs gear oil €40
    10ltrs coolant €20

oil filters 4 ~ €100
    air filters engine + cab ??? €50 at least
    2 hrs labour (if he was on go slow) €120

A good fitter spotting a minor problem that could turn into a big problem down the line is worth allot. I would like to get an experience guy to look over the tractor every 1200 hrs. update software and clear fault lists or explore fault code reasons

above amounts to €700 already and there are a few more bits and bobs. Give your dealer a break if they are close to the mark. Having one on your side in a time of bother is worth allot. I find mine reasonable for work done and back up service second to none. fitter available on phone 24/7 all of which isnt charged. There aint money in the game, also farmers arent the quickest to pay (oops, I have a outstanding bill now as I think of it). If you feel you are getting your leg lifted, well then move on
    Thats very true

Advertisement