Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Girls - Buns, Hoops and luminous Clothes?

Options
  • 03-06-2010 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Was anyone watching Henry McKean's Travellers documentary on TV3 last night?

When asked about the Travellers distinctive choice of certain type of clothing one of the Traveller Girls pointed out that if she goes to Limerick then there are so many Girls wearing Hoopy Earrings, Buns in their hair and luminous Clothes that you can't tell who is a Traveller and who isn't.

- So what do ye think? Is this the impression Visitors get when they spend time in Limerick?

P.S. This post is not intended to be 'anti-Traveller' in any regard - I was just wondering what other People though of the comment and views expressed etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Big hoop earrings definately, can spot a pikey miles away with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

one does not require sherlock homes to figure them out, especially when they speak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

"Boiled In Oil"

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

those hoopy earrings can also be also be used as leg rests:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Raiser wrote: »
    So what do ye think?

Another pointless thread. Also that programme was a repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

I have noticed a lot of white tshirts with luminous pink bra's visible underneath due to the shocking colour. That the new style? Was there a memo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

pff, load of crap..the Irish are the only race in the world that can distinguish between social classes..in the sence that if im walking down town, I immediately know if they are a traveller just by looking at their face, the clothes they wear (revealing tank top), boots, really tanned, accent, everything..u just know straight away..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

With regards to accents in Limerick alone there is a heck of a lot
    of accents (can think of about 9-10 different sounding Limerick ones)

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Raiser wrote: »
    - So what do ye think? Is this the impression Visitors get when they spend time in Limerick?.

Yes, I always thought that Limerick was a Traveller City ~ like some English Lord banned them all to some place and Limerick was their City now.

As a boy, my older brother used to drive to Limerick to see the huge traveller houses and miles and miles of caravans.

As I said, I genuinely thought Limerick was a Traveller City.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

gbee wrote: »
    Yes, I always thought that Limerick was a Traveller City ~ like some English Lord banned them all to some place and Limerick was their City now.

As a boy, my older brother used to drive to Limerick to see the huge traveller houses and miles and miles of caravans.

Rathkeale isn't Limerick. Thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

gbee wrote: »

Your not the smartest then are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ClutchIt wrote: »

Irony kids, its fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Yes, every girl in Limerick dresses like that...

It's an important topic alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

thread needs moar photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

zuroph wrote: »
    thread needs moar photos.

image005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Owh dear.......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Big hoop earrings definately, can spot a pikey miles away with those.

Banned - 1 month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

as i mentioned, we can all differentiate between the look of a traveller and the look of a knacker..the minute you see these, you know there are travellers, simply because of the way they look and dress.

IT.jpg

Traveller+Wedding.jpg

wedding.jpg

gypsy2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

ClutchIt wrote: »

I see you're not the smartest either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

what exactly is the point of this thread???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's a place for the shut-in's to rail against all the injustice in the world today, if only we had Termights back to distract them.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

dave 27 wrote: »
    as i mentioned, we can all differentiate between the look of a traveller and the look of a knacker..the minute you see these, you know there are travellers, simply because of the way they look and dress.

gypsy2.jpg

From this pic I would definitely only have known these were travellers because of the way they are dressed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Poking fun at a ethnic minority by the looks of it,doesn't belong in here tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Nah it was never meant to offend or upset anyone......

- It is a bit dire though - I apologise on that front :o

Mods please do the humane thing and lock this before it gets any worse !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Pavee beures... tbh, I haven't seen much of this around Limerick, well only on one occasion at a traveller's wedding. What irks me most, and is way more prevalent is the young ones hangin' around wearing pyjamas. I mean some of them have their make-up and hair done to the 9s but they won't take that extra step and put on a pair of pants or skirt. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

well if the pyjama thing offends you, prepare yourself.

underwear as outerwear is the "in thing " aparantly

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

In fairness i do not see many of the traveling community walking the street in their pyjamas unlike some of the many Limerick people who reside in permanent addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Apparently you can now buy clothes that just LOOK like pajamas but aren't so now we can't even tell the lazy slobs from the fashion victims anymore!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

In fairness i do not see many of the traveling community walking the street in their pyjamas unlike some of the many Limerick people who reside in permanent addresses.

A fair few of whom are settled travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Roadend wrote: »
    From this pic I would definitely only have known these were travellers because of the way they are dressed

The Travelling Community are (is?) not an ethnic minority.

Not all people who live in caravans are travellers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement