Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Girls - Buns, Hoops and luminous Clothes?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Roadend wrote: »
    From this pic I would definitely only have known these were travellers because of the way they are dressed
    you still would!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Rathkeale isn't Limerick. Thankfully.
    Give me the travellers in Rathkeale over the pikeys in the city any day! I've never seen the ERU out this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

grenache wrote: »
    Give me the travellers in Rathkeale over the pikeys in the city any day! I've never seen the ERU out this way.

You're dead right!
    Went to a city centre 'disadvantaged' school with some of the NICEST Travellers you could EVER meet. At one stage a certain pair of sisters moved with their family down to Cork but ther Ma moved them back because they were treating like crap down there and thet'd never even been thrown dirty looks in my school(which isn't a very friendly place). Another family of Traveller sisters ALL graduated becaue they were finally given the leearning support they needed after years of the attitude of 'if we leave him/her down the back of the class room long enough they'll drop out' and primary school teachers are EXTREMELY guilty of. These girls never caused an ounce of trouble wen girls from 'respectible' families were getting hauled into the principal every day of the week. 'Designer Scumbags' are all the people who're from respectible areas, respectible pareants who have no idea what their little darling is up to. They just wear Air Max, drape themselves in gold rings and crucifixes having never been to mass a day in their lives and start fights because it's done by the actual scumbags who're considered 'cool'.

Actual scumbags cause all the damn trouble. They're left do to whatever they want because their parents couldn't give a flying frenchman as to what they get up to. These are the people who mug grannies, beat people up, break into houses, burn out cars they've stolen and driven around for a few hours, they fire chairs at teachers when they bother turning up (late) to school smelling like stale cigarette smoke at 13/14.

I've never EVER had a bad word said to me by a member of the travelling community but I took **** from scumbags, as did all my friends, all through school. I distinctly remember a 'Designer Scumbag' starting on me one day and grabbing my by my hair and lacing into me. Yet who gets the blame when a teacher stolls in? Not gonna say I didn't hit her back, but the school couldn't be arsed dealing with one of that crowd because they knew the rest would kick off.

I think Travellers are being unfairly blamed for the work of scumbags and it's not the first time either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

jimoc wrote: »
    Apparently you can now buy clothes that just LOOK like pajamas but aren't so now we can't even tell the lazy slobs from the fashion victims anymore!!!

There is a GP on ennis rd that has a sign in waiting room saying, no PJ allowed as unhygenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    You're dead right!
    Went to a city centre 'disadvantaged' school with some of the NICEST Travellers you could EVER meet. At one stage a certain pair of sisters moved with their family down to Cork but ther Ma moved them back because they were treating like crap down there and thet'd never even been thrown dirty looks in my school(which isn't a very friendly place). Another family of Traveller sisters ALL graduated becaue they were finally given the leearning support they needed after years of the attitude of 'if we leave him/her down the back of the class room long enough they'll drop out' and primary school teachers are EXTREMELY guilty of. These girls never caused an ounce of trouble wen girls from 'respectible' families were getting hauled into the principal every day of the week. 'Designer Scumbags' are all the people who're from respectible areas, respectible pareants who have no idea what their little darling is up to. They just wear Air Max, drape themselves in gold rings and crucifixes having never been to mass a day in their lives and start fights because it's done by the actual scumbags who're considered 'cool'.

Actual scumbags cause all the damn trouble. They're left do to whatever they want because their parents couldn't give a flying frenchman as to what they get up to. These are the people who mug grannies, beat people up, break into houses, burn out cars they've stolen and driven around for a few hours, they fire chairs at teachers when they bother turning up (late) to school smelling like stale cigarette smoke at 13/14.

I've never EVER had a bad word said to me by a member of the travelling community but I took **** from scumbags, as did all my friends, all through school. I distinctly remember a 'Designer Scumbag' starting on me one day and grabbing my by my hair and lacing into me. Yet who gets the blame when a teacher stolls in? Not gonna say I didn't hit her back, but the school couldn't be arsed dealing with one of that crowd because they knew the rest would kick off.

I think Travellers are being unfairly blamed for the work of scumbags and it's not the first time either.

Being a traveller does not equal being a scumbag.

For me, a person's actions and attitudes are what define a person as a scumbag and not where they are from in terms of locality or background.

Are some travellers scumbags?

Yes some are, just as there are scumbags from pretty much every other walk of life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

concussion wrote: »
    The Travelling Community are (is?) not an ethnic minority.

Not all people who live in caravans are travellers.

I really have to take issue with this. The Irish Government has thus far failed to recognise the Travelling Community as a distinct ethnic group (because it would obligate certain spending). However, not only do Travelling bodies lobby for the end of this denial, but the Irish Equality Authority and the Irish Human Rights Commission are both also calling on the government to recognise the ethnicity of Travellers.
    An ethnic group...
    …is largely biologically self-perpetuating; shares fundamental cultural values, realized in overt unity in cultural forms; makes up a field of communication and interaction; has a membership which identifies itself, and is identified by others, as constituting a category distinguishable from other categories of the same order.
    Narroll cited in Frederick Barth, (ed.), Ethnic Groups and Boundaries: The Social Organisation of Culture Difference (Bergen, 1969), pp.10-11.

Travellers only marry within the Travelling community; they have a number of cultural and social values that distinguish them from the settled community (including nomadism and their own language, Cant/Gammon) and, most importantly, recognise themselves as being distinct from other communities (which is important in ensuring that they will not be overrun by the dominant ethnicity [i.e. the Irish settled community]). While Travellers bear many similarities with the dominant ethnicity - such as being white and Roman Catholic - they are, undeniably, a distinct group within Irish society.

Northern Ireland (and the rest of the UK) recognises Irish Travellers as an ethnic minority... The implications are very real in cases of discrimination as well as the application of the EU Race Directive.

The Irish State has operated a policy of 'absorption', essentially, so as to create a nice, white, Roman Catholic settled homogenous society. This is not reality.

If Travellers were recognised as a distinct ethnic group, it would go a long way in alleviating the misunderstandings that exist in Irish society.

And to make my point relevant to the OP, Travellers' dress sense is definitely a cultural distinction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

grenache wrote: »

Banned - 1 Month

I really have to take issue with this. The Irish Government has thus far failed to recognise the Travelling Community as a distinct ethnic group (because it would obligate certain spending). However, not only do Travelling bodies lobby for the end of this denial, but the Irish Equality Authority and the Irish Human Rights Commission are both also calling on the government to recognise the ethnicity of Travellers.
    An ethnic group...

Narroll cited in Frederick Barth, (ed.), Ethnic Groups and Boundaries: The Social Organisation of Culture Difference (Bergen, 1969), pp.10-11.

Travellers only marry within the Travelling community; they have a number of cultural and social values that distinguish them from the settled community (including nomadism and their own language, Cant/Gammon) and, most importantly, recognise themselves as being distinct from other communities (which is important in ensuring that they will not be overrun by the dominant ethnicity [i.e. the Irish settled community]). While Travellers bear many similarities with the dominant ethnicity - such as being white and Roman Catholic - they are, undeniably, a distinct group within Irish society.

Northern Ireland (and the rest of the UK) recognises Irish Travellers as an ethnic minority... The implications are very real in cases of discrimination as well as the application of the EU Race Directive.

The Irish State has operated a policy of 'absorption', essentially, so as to create a nice, white, Roman Catholic settled homogenous society. This is not reality.

If Travellers were recognised as a distinct ethnic group, it would go a long way in alleviating the misunderstandings that exist in Irish society.

And to make my point relevant to the OP, Travellers' dress sense is definitely a cultural distinction :)

If travellers only marry within the travelling community, how did a number of travellers get married to members of certain families in the Weston area?

That's not a dig by the way, it is a genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Kess73 wrote: »
    If travellers only marry within the travelling community, how did a number of travellers get married to members of certain families in the Weston area?

That's not a dig by the way, it is a genuine question.

Fair point. I should have probably said it is a general rule that Travellers only get married within their community; there are, of course, exceptions, but it is mostly definitely a preference within the Travelling community to marry within the Travelling community. Also, I don't know the families in Weston to whom you are referring, but are they settled Travellers, just out of interest? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

An ethnic group...

Ah come off it will ya! their no more an ethnic minority than the man on the moon, use a pinch of common sense for gods sake, sure fire counts as a form of life as it fits all the required criteria "ON PAPER" but anyone with common sense knows fire is not a form of life. ffs.

• Advertisement

Fair point. I should have probably said it is a general rule that Travellers only get married within their community; there are, of course, exceptions, but it is mostly definitely a preference within the Travelling community to marry within the Travelling community. Also, I don't know the families in Weston to whom you are referring, but are they settled Travellers, just out of interest? I don't know.

One is trying to claim that he is a genuine traveller of late, but I suspect that is more to have a reason to cry discrimination when he gets searched for criminal activities.

Two of the other families are not from a traveller background though, but have criminal connections connections with the first family.

But I was just curious, hence my question.

I have had a little bit of interaction with travellers during my time in Limerick. One in a workplace with the person in question being a worker there, three through one of the boxing clubs, and an undetermined number in more unpleasant circumstances in retail enviroments that involved needing the gardai.

Obviously each set of experiences were very different, and if I had only ever had the latter experience then my view on travellers might be completely blinkered, but thankfully I had the good experiences to somewhat counter the negative and provide a degree of balance.

One thing I do disagree with is the claim of being an ethnic minority, if that claim was ever upheld, then pretty much any group of Irish people who decided they wanted to be an ethnic minority could ensure that they met the criteria as well and avail of any advantage the title presented them.

I see travellers as Irish if they are Irish born.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Stab*City wrote: »

wtf is that sh*te meant to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

No, I'd not agree entirely, we do see 'settled' non traveller background people wearing the same clothes, the only difference is WHEN they wear them.

BOTH sets of people wear them to 'dress up' the only real difference is the travelling community seems to 'dress up' for every event. Another slight departure we find is that whilst a 'fashion trend' moves on with the settled community, the travelling community seems to stay stuck for much longer in a fashion trend and thus start to look different over time.

Traveller men also wear a certain fashion look, that back in the twenties and thirties [of last century] would not be distinguishable from the populous fashions of the day.

In Cork the traveller women would also have been indistinguishable wearing their shawls, the real difference was the baby under the shawl and as the shawl fell into disuse, the last of the shawlys would have been from the travelling communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    wtf is that sh*te meant to be?

It is what it is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Banned - 1 Month

Talk about an over-reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I was in town the other day and all I could think was arent the scumbags bad enough without wearing luminous clothes to draw attention to themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Birdie086 wrote: »
    I was in town the other day and all I could think was arent the scumbags bad enough without wearing luminous clothes to draw attention to themselves

When's the last time you heard of Savannah O'Dowd, Shakira McNamara or Britney O'Flaherty getting hit by a Bus though?

- They're crafty thems Wah, wah, wahs...... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Raiser wrote: »
    When's the last time you heard of Savannah O'Dowd, Shakira McNamara or Britney O'Flaherty getting hit by a Bus though?

- They're crafty thems Wah, wah, wahs...... :P

Shanique McNamara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Never mind all this touchy touchy, kissy kissy. Lob it in there, boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Never mind all this touchy touchy, kissy kissy. Lob it in there, boss.

what they say is lob it OUT there boss(and we get a look) or so I am told

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

This thread has reached it's best before date.

closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement