Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants!!

Options
  • 03-06-2010 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

GAH!! The kitchen has been invaded by ants!! Normally we'd put traps in under the plints etc but we're not sure how to plan our attack because of the puppy? He wouldn't be able to get to the traps but what happens if he eats an ant thats carrying poisin back to it's brothers?! Sometimes he's not bothered by them but sometimes he does eat them.

We've tried dusting with flour/talc but it's not working - the traps usually sort the problem within a couple of days. We don't care about them being in the garden - we just don't want them inside!

How to people normally deal with this when there's pets involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Have your kitchen cupboards got a removable kick board?(I'm assuming they're in the kitchen)
    Most fitted kitchens you can remove the kick board and put traps behind them, then put kick boards back on. Your dog would have to eat a lot of ants to get sick, think of the size of the ants and the tiny bit of poison it would take, then the size of your dog. So long as he can't get at the traps he should be fine.
    If its a livingroom, put traps under sofa or somewhere dog can't reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yep we put them in behind the kickboard anyways. And they're screwed on so there's no way he'll get to the traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

It may be a good idea to let your puppy take a holiday (to a friends/families house or kennels) for the few days it takes to sort the problem. It means you can blast the little buggers with as much chemical(s) that is needed without worrying about harming your pup. Give the house a good scrub before the pup returns to get rid of any residue and you'll be flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks guys! Our ant warfare will begin this weekend. I'll be home all weekend anyways so i'll watch him like a hawk. We have loads of practice to do for his obidience because he's decided to start ignoring me (he's 11 months now) so i'll be keeping him busy! :D

Advertisement