Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Biological and Chemical Sciences a good course?

Options
  • 03-06-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi. I'm doing my leaving cert in a week and I'm still not sure. I have medicine down as my first choice, then dentistry. I only got 480 in the pres so I might be out of luck with it but I'll keep my fingers crossed. I was just wondering about biochem, I have it down but still am not sure. I am doing all the science subjects and I'm interested in all of them. Any suggestions what I should do and your opinions on biochem would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

from my experience,as a chemistry grad, in order to get anywhere in science , you need to study for longer periods than other subjects

to do research a phd is a must, while at a degree level, some opportunities might be available to you but i don't think the jobs at that level are too exciting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Radfire

Im going into second year now in ucd studying chemistry and astrophysics, might i suggest the omnibus entry in UCD you get to do chem, bio and physics if you wish for your first semester. with these subject areas you can pick "streams" such as biochem, and the great thing about it is that the stream will prob cover other subjects too like pharmacology (you should cheak the site for the fulll list). If in second year you decide you dont like the subect anymore you can chage into a different stream, its a great degree if you dont know what area you want to go into (as biochem and medicinal chemistry are similar) also keep in mind that just because the points for this degree are low enough think its high 300's, it doesnt mean that the degree is easy/its not as good as say medicine. i think the points were 500+ for this course in the past, and also if you really want to do medicine or the likes, i think ucd can put you into 4th year medicine if you get a first class honours in the 4year degree here.

Advertisement