Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I 'Top-Up' Break Fluid?

• 03-06-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have a VW Passat TDi 130BHP 2002.

The on board computer is telling me 'STOP' 'Break Fault' 'Service Manual'.

The service manual claims it means to top up break fluid.

Can this actually be done like toping up oil, or is there an intricate process of bleeding the fluid with a pressure bleeder etc.

If the first option is possible, I'll do it my self, otherwise it's off to the mechanic!

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Rob

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can top up the brake fluid, just open the resevoir cap and pour it in.

I'd be concerned why it needs topping up however. Is there a leak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Yes you can top it up to the full level indication mark on the reservoir.
    Its wise to check the brake pads as the pads wear the brake fluid level goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 robdunne

I have no idea if it's leaking.

I have seen no evidence of a leak on the drive-way but that said, I haven't been looking out for one.

I'll check my parking spot before I leave work.

All I can tell you is that the manual says to "Top-Up".

Cheers

Dirtydiesel,

thanks for your feedback.

Theoretically, a break pad warning light should come on when they are running low. That said, it may be broken.

Is it the case that when I top up the break fluid, that the break-pad warning will then come on?

Also, the resevoir for break fluid has a yellow screw cap?

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Get your brake pads checked, more than likely this is the issue. If you top up you will only lose what you put in once the pads do get changed.

• Advertisement

robdunne wrote: »
    Dirtydiesel,

thanks for your feedback.

Theoretically, a break pad warning light should come on when they are running low. That said, it may be broken.

Is it the case that when I top up the break fluid, that the break-pad warning will then come on?

Also, the resevoir for break fluid has a yellow screw cap?

Rob
    Not sure what colour the cap is, top up the fluid and as you said check for leaks underneath, although a slow fluid leak might not leave a wet patch on the groynd.
    You should be able to look in at the disk and pads by kneeling down at the wheels. Is there any grinding noise when you brake?

No grinding noise or screeching when I break.

The car was serviced about 6 weeks ago with no mention of breaks and I actually have a set of pads and gave them to the mechanic if needed.

Rob

Top her up and keep an eye on the level over the next few days, if it drops again go to a garage, better safe than sorry with brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As the pads wear, brake fluid fills the wheel cylinder to make up for the wear. It is therefore quite possible that there is nothing wrong with your car. Top up with correct fluid to the max line. THe brake fluid reservoir will be infront of a big circular disc type thing about 9" diameter & often does have a yellow cap. THe cap will probably say dot 3 or dot 4 which refers to the type of brake fluid required.
    Alternatively, you could have a brake system fault. I would fill with fluid, check for any leaks & if ok, keep an eye on it for a few days. If no drop in fluid & no warning lights, al is well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Take a look at your wheels. A loaner I had at one point had a leak on the break fluid and it could be seen on the alloys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Its the brakes.

If your not familiar with cars get them checked by a professional and don't rely on the computer if you don't know how to lift the bonnet and check the levels yourself.

Once your car starts moving you need them to stop again

EDIT: Don't mean to come across as a smart arse but better safe then sorry with brakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? It should be done every 2 years, same with coolant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Why does the brake fluid need to be done every two years, seems a bit excessive, im not having a go just curious as maybe i'm missing something when my car is being serviced.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Why does the brake fluid need to be done every two years, seems a bit excessive, im not having a go just curious as maybe i'm missing something when my car is being serviced.

It absorbs water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If your manual tells you all that means you need to top up the brake fluid, surely it tells you how to top up the brake fluid?

Advertisement