Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1901 Census Available online now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its very slowwww. Also you cannot search 1901 only browse as far as i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I've had no trouble with it at all. I searched for and found my grandfather and great great grandfather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Was in there earlier today and no problems either and found my gang no problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Kalimah wrote: »
    I've had no trouble with it at all. I searched for and found my grandfather and great great grandfather.

Yea i found my great great grandfather but my great great great grandfather was dead and lived to 90!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeh, fast now. Was not like that earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Just been checking out side of my family there. Excellent site. Here is the 1901 census return for Pádraig Pearse

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Pembroke_East___Donnybrook/Sandymount_Avenue__Part_of_/1285811/

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

Mine is incredibly slow and I am unable to open the household return form.

Still found a few more details of my family tree and may have tracked my great great grandfather down in Co. Offaly. Yay. Except now I have a BIFFO in the family.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

It's all working fine for me. Fast, no problem. Found my relatives, so no surprises really.

I see a note on a page on the site that explains the demise of previous census archives, I knew about those lost in the civil war but was surprised to read:
    "The original census returns for 1861 and 1871 were destroyed shortly after the censuses were taken. Those for 1881 and 1891 were pulped during the First World War, probably because of the paper shortage".

Pulped? Because of possible paper shortage? Anyone know anything more about this? Here's the link.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/history.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Morlar wrote: »
    Just been checking out side of my family there. Excellent site. Here is the 1901 census return for Pádraig Pearse

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Pembroke_East___Donnybrook/Sandymount_Avenue__Part_of_/1285811/

They have the historic ones aswell omg must go and look.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

MarchDub wrote: »
    Pulped? Because of possible paper shortage? Anyone know anything more about this? Here's the link.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/history.html

Sounds like bóllocks to me. They didn't pulp the English ones.

The site has had 24 million hits since last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

I'm finding a lot of interesting information but the same problem that I have with the 1911 Census is also cropping up, that of names being incorrectly read and therefore wrongly transcribed. In defence of whoever misread them I have to admit the handwriting is not always easy to read and of course anybody unfamiliar with Irish surnames would be at a disadvantage but researchers need to bear in mind that negative results could be because of this. Overall it is a very welcome development to see it on line and i'm getting a lot of mileage from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm finding a lot of interesting information but the same problem that I have with the 1911 Census is also cropping up, that of names being incorrectly read and therefore wrongly transcribed. In defence of whoever misread them I have to admit the handwriting is not always easy to read and of course anybody unfamiliar with Irish surnames would be at a disadvantage but researchers need to bear in mind that negative results could be because of this. Overall it is a very welcome development to see it on line and i'm getting a lot of mileage from it.

I found quite a number of transcribing errors in my own family and corrected them online and they have since been updated. :)

Advertisement