Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2500 to 3000 euro

• 03-06-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

thats my budget for a new bike, took up cycling a couple of months back , bought a bike on donedeal.ie on looks alone (mistake)
    it is a cervelo p2k tri bike 57cm ,i stand at 5foot 8 in my socks:D, so the bike is to big for starters.
    i changed the tri bars to drops,which defeats the purpose i suppose.
    any way i have decided i like cycleing enough to join a club and maybee test myself out in a race or two,
    i had a go on my friends bike the other day , up over howth head , and i flew over with about half the effort it takes on the cervelo ?
    i decided there and then to treat myself to a shiney new bike:D.
    so since i still know very little about bikes , whats good in my price bracket?????
    (ashamed to say it but ill spend a little more for a cool pedigree)
    thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As a starting point, there was a decent thread on this recently:

Holy Jaysus - what road bike in the €2500 to €3000 bracket??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

thanks very much , i was away for a few weeks then , so i missed that.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

sweetswing wrote: »
    since i still know very little about bikes , whats good in my price bracket?????

Will you be able to look after such an expensive bike?

answer to that at the moment is sadly" no" , but i am learning.
    cant see there being to many issues with a new bike, by the time something crops up i should be able to handle it, if not "i know a man who can":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If it was me buying my first road bike, no way would I spend that much on it. You can pick up a decent bike (new) for around 1000-1200 (e.g. Planet X). That would be more than enough to get you going. Spending 3000 on a first bike is a complete waste.

• Advertisement

penexpers wrote: »
    If it was me buying my first road bike, no way would I spend that much on it. You can pick up a decent bike (new) for around 1000-1200 (e.g. Planet X). That would be more than enough to get you going. Spending 3000 on a first bike is a complete waste.

Spending €3000 on any bike is a waste. If you're good enough to need a €3000 bike you're good enough to be sponsored.

Need, want and enjoy are completely separate considerations.

Besides, cycling is the new golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

agree, I think you need to earn a €2k+ bike (and I don't mean the cash). any one on a expensive bike should be leading out the group and not being dropped off the back (This is the reason I am still on my 5yr old Alu framed bike)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

You can pick up a decent bike (new) for around 1000-1200 (e.g. Planet X). That would be more than enough to get you going. Spending 3000 on a first bike is a complete waste.

The cheapest Planet X I can see is £1,099 which equates to around $1,350 but then if you want to upgrade a few components and add bottle cages and the likes you've very easily up on €1,500. We're getting killed on the EUR. Still big diff between shelling out €1,500 and €3,000 on a bike.

If I was going to spend €3k on a bike I think I'd go for the Scott Addict R2 Compact below
    http://www.slanecycles.com/scott-addict-r2-compact-bike-2008-p-2812.html?sesid=03trh2pdpbvk4k9qd627f238l2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

answer to that at the moment is sadly" no" , but i am learning.
    cant see there being to many issues with a new bike, by the time something crops up i should be able to handle it, if not "i know a man who can":)
    I was actually thinking more from a financial aspect. It would be a bit like getting a €100k loan to buy a supercar. Great when you first get it, but when it needs its first service, do you have the money for it?

That is, it's still a bike, and it will still need maintenance. Do you have the money to replace €100 tyres, €50 brake blocks and a €100 cassette twice a year? (You don't have to answer me, just pointing it out :))

If you do, I hate you, but fair dues.

Maybe also borrow some wisdom from driving cars and motorbikes - always buy a cheaper one first time 'round because you're going to drop it and bang it into things.

Making a newbie error when maintaining a €3k bike is a lot more expensive than on a €1k one.

:Dwow , maybe ill just stick with what i have and save a few bob?
    but thats not the point at all, the thing is i want a shiney new bike, and i want a good one, i may not be able to do it justice just yet or may be ever, but at least ill look good trying:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

You'd buy 2 great bikes for that money~!

as 'Lance said' ITs not about the bike!"

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

but thats not the point at all, the thing is i want a shiney new bike, and i want a good one, i may not be able to do it justice just yet or may be ever, but at least ill look good trying:D

Don't mind all this "you've got to earn it" crapology. If you have the money and it floats your boat, get yourself the blingest bike you can. If it inspires you to get out on the road and use the damn thing then it's money well spent.

You bought a very expensive tri bike in completely the wrong size. It's difficult to think of any way in which you could have screwed that up more. :pac:

That bike has to go.

Out of curiosity, did you even intend to compete in triathlons?
    the thing is i want a shiney new bike, and i want a good one, i may not be able to do it justice just yet or may be ever, but at least ill look good trying:D

Fair enough, just make sure this one fits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

fair play to you, if its what makes you happy and you work hard and have the readies - go for it.

Drapper wrote: »

one magnificent bike is better than 2 great bikes
    i would like to see lance compeat in the tour de france on a warhorse:D
    only kidding , i see what your saying.
    im very new to cycling, im not trying to buy more speed or indurance,these things have to be earned with sweat and tears.
    all im doing is buying a bit of cool or flash as they say around these parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The word you're looking for is "euro".

Neither cool nor flash are acceptable on a bicycle.

all im doing is buying a bit of cool or flash as they say around these parts.

If you're after flash, a Felt might be an idea.

Like this, except with a few more stickers.

Lumen wrote: »
    You bought a very expensive tri bike in completely the wrong size. It's difficult to think of any way in which you could have screwed that up more. :pac:

That bike has to go.

Out of curiosity, did you even intend to compete in triathlons?

Fair enough, just make sure this one fits you.
    it was an impulse buy:rolleyes:
    it was a pity i didnt look at this site before the purchase.
    any way you live and learn, i have to say i love the bike even if it is the wrong size, its like a bullett on the flat, and ive done 100km on it so im going to keep it(memories)
    the new bike will be professionally fitted.
    in the beginning i didnt know there was a difference between road bikes and tri.
    i toyed with the idea of a triathlon for a while, but since im a crap swimmer , and the cycling is so enjoyable the idea has gone out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

agree, I think you need to earn a €2k+ bike (and I don't mean the cash).

how so? You mean like do an interview or something?

ok i take it back flash is not what im looking for in any way shape or form

• Advertisement

ok i take it back flash is not what im looking for in any way shape or form

Have a look through here to get some idea of what style you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

elduggo wrote: »
    how so? You mean like do an interview or something?

ha ha some REAL crap advise here .... embrassing even ....

I am not training much this year at all ..... my bike cost 5K, do I have to buy a different bike now ? that I deserve ?!?!?

My Advise, go to your local bike shop or local club, get some tips on buying there, spend as little or as much as you want .... do get the correct size though !
    Take all above the advice on this thread with a pinch of salt .........Literally !!

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

biker_joe wrote: »
    ha ha some REAL crap advise here .... embrassing even ....

I am not training much this year at all ..... my bike cost 5K, do I have to buy a different bike now ? that I deserve ?!?!?

My Advise, go to your local bike shop or local club, get some tips on buying there, spend as little or as much as you want .... do get the correct size though !
    Take all above the advice on this thread with a pinch of salt .........Literally !!

Joe

no, you're wrong. Go to your bike shop. They'll ask you questions and at the end tell you what you deserve.

thats why my bike cos fifty quid. Cos I didn't deserve any more.

Have a look through here to get some idea of what style you're looking for.
    yes thats the job:D that colnago, or cinelli would do .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Go out, buy yourself a Felt A4.

Put the rest of the money into buying some kit, a nice helmet, sunglasses, shoes, pedals, etc.

If you can't win a race on a felt AR4 then you just aren't good enough, but you will most certainly look good trying!

Oh you like the Colnago? It's a nice bike but the Arte is really made to be a sportive bike and not a race machine.

Giant TCR Advanced is another great machine.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Go out, buy yourself a Felt A4.

Put the rest of the money into buying some kit, a nice helmet, sunglasses, shoes, pedals, etc.

If you can't win a race on a felt AR4 then you just aren't good enough, but you will most certainly look good trying!
    not mad about that one:confused: as for kit and shoes and glasses , the wardrobe is growing all the time, god dam shops allways have something else that catches your eye.

Oh you like the Colnago? It's a nice bike but the Arte is really made to be a sportive bike and not a race machine.

Giant TCR Advanced is another great machine.
    that giant is beautifull to me . top of the list so far. thanks

that giant is beautifull to me . top of the list so far. thanks

Yeah in the roundwood race a few weeks back I was tootling back with Fondriest and pulled over to help "Mike" from Bray Wheelers fix a puncture. He had just picked up the TCR a few weeks ago, Ksyrium SL wheels, Ultegra 6700 groupset. Next to my bike his frame looked truly space age, I was dead jealous.

I think it was the 2009 bike of the year, meant to be a great racing machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Drapper wrote: »

Yeah, he said that and then proceeded to witter incessantly for the rest of his career about his painstaking attention to detail in getting the right bike and he creates a load of hype every time he appears with a new bike at a TT. Sorry, not trying to argue with you, just that "It's not about the bike" thing annoys me and I'm having a pissy day :)

Yeah in the roundwood race a few weeks back I was tootling back with Fondriest and pulled over to help "Mike" from Bray Wheelers fix a puncture. He had just picked up the TCR a few weeks ago, Ksyrium SL wheels, Ultegra 6700 groupset. Next to my bike his frame looked truly space age, I was dead jealous.

I think it was the 2009 bike of the year, meant to be a great racing machine.
    are there any shops in dublin selling theses?, i would love to see one in the flesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

are there any shops in dublin selling theses?, i would love to see one in the flesh.

I think that Cycle Superstore had one/some of those frames hanging up in there a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Just saw one this evening in O'Sullivans Cycles in Killarney in black 'nude carbon' , VERY nice. It was a Large ( 55.5 ) just incase you're stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

only new to cycling but really love it so far. If i had that money i'd be looking at the following (but maybe that'll change as i learn more): (at the moment i dont have the money but i'm still looking at them:))

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=30654

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=31075

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

That Lapierre Wersal just linked to really is a thing of beauty, I'd be tempted if I had your money.

As regards what some people were saying about earning such a bike, forget about it. If you've got the money, spend it. It is true that in cycling as in just about every other field of human endevour people will look down their noses at the 'all the gear and no idea' crowd but you can get around that with a little training.

Also, if I was spending that kind of money on a bike I would want to have a fairly thorough knowledge of bike repair and maintenance for it would be a sin to ride a xelsius or a TCR with slightly buckled rims or squeeky bottom bracket or worn down chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Spending €3000 on any bike is a waste. If you're good enough to need a €3000 bike you're good enough to be sponsored.

Need, want and enjoy are completely separate considerations.

Besides, cycling is the new golf.

Ha ha Lumen your bike must top the scales over 3K

Worst thing about buying a bike is your budget grows when you hear more about ultegra/durace, SL's weight "if i spend 500 more i get a .4kg lighter bike mmm"

Lol i wish i was buying a new bike :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

If I were spending that kind of cash I'd be looking at custom made. You should be able to get a Viner from the likes of Worldwide Cycles that fits you and only you beautifully. Now that's indulgence!
    http://www.vinerbikes.com/

coolbeans wrote: »
    If I were spending that kind of cash I'd be looking at custom made. You should be able to get a Viner from the likes of Worldwide Cycles that fits you and only you beautifully. Now that's indulgence!
    http://www.vinerbikes.com/

Not sure a custom Viner would be in budget, but Epic Cycles have some interesting deals (as usual) here.

£999 for a 10sp Veloce-equipped full carbon frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Not sure a custom Viner would be in budget, but Epic Cycles have some interesting deals (as usual) here.

£999 for a 10sp Veloce-equipped full carbon frame.

I'm fairy sure it would be as I got a few quotes months back. Predictably I can't remember them but they were doing some deals at the time to get the brand out there. A custom frame though...hmmm :cool:

Those Viners shown on Epics site are not custom. You have to look at the Perfecta upwards to get custom.

Epic have AFAIK actually stopped doing Viner, also bear in mind the €150 shipping charge for Ireland for a complete bike. Fantastic shop though, great bunch of guys there, wouldn't hesitate buying from them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

Lumen fair play for picking out my AR2 bike:cool:

Not every ones cup of tea. Carbon wheels are now off it with the stock wheels which I also got with it now on. Not as flashy but the the rider doesn't do it justice yet. YET being a big word.!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

[QUOTE=sweetswing;
    (ashamed to say it but ill spend a little more for a cool pedigree)
    thanks for any advice.[/QUOTE]

you can't buy class, pal.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

What about one of these... you can customise it with what you like..

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2010/index.php?bik_id=225&lang=de_DE

There is an agent here now selling Stevens...

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2009/img/high_res/slc_team_custom_white.jpg

redmenace1 wrote: »
    you can't buy class, pal.:rolleyes:
    im not trying to buy class , im just trying to buy a bike

mtbireland wrote: »
    What about one of these... you can customise it with what you like..

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2010/index.php?bik_id=225&lang=de_DE

There is an agent here now selling Stevens...

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2009/img/high_res/slc_team_custom_white.jpg

A friend of mine just bought a Stephens, handbuilt yokie, looks awesome.

@Murph100: This one I saw was also a "nude" carbon, no white paint job, and it looked hawt! Definitely a bike I would consider and I'm not a fan of Giants.

+1

Looks wicked, really light and bloody good value at €3,300 ( before haggling )

@Murph100: This one I saw was also a "nude" carbon, no white paint job, and it looked hawt! Definitely a bike I would consider and I'm not a fan of Giants.

Advertisement