Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband on macbook

Options
  • 03-06-2010 11:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34

Hi there,

I am about to get broadband for my main computer, the broadband company said they would provide me with an ethernet plug from their device & if i plugged a wireless router into that I would be able to access wireless broadband for my laptop.. so what device do I need to purchase to do this?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

o/t but...

what internet company are you with? I am currently using vodafone for my wireless and there is a number of sites the router will not allow me to connect to, such as youtube/facebook/twitter/tumblr.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 molko2b

Thanks for your reply, its westnet.. ive not joined yet just want to find out more info first.. its for the west of ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

ah, alright. i'm with vodafone and i think the router is not allowing me access some sites on my macbook. i've been on applecare for two hours now and the problem isn't resolved yet. very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

What you need is called a wireless router, the only thing you have to avoid is the ones with built in adsl modems. Usually on websites they can be sectioned wireless routers, cable routers or just routers. Any of the ones on this page should do the job http://www.scan.ie/Shop/Computer-Hardware/All/Wireless/CABLE-Broadband-Routers just as an example. If I were to recommend brands I quite like linksys and buffalo.

They usually come with integrated 4-port switches, which you will need. After that you just need to decide how much you are willing to spend. A basic G router can be gotten very cheaply and is quite fast for most applications (54Mbps) or you could get a more expensive N router (300Mbps) but your laptop will also need an N card to take advantage of this extra speed (which it may already have).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Good luck with trying to order from Scanco with an Irish address :D

Here, this is what You need, an Irish store and they take laser:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1904339&productID=S7657191

• Advertisement
Advertisement