Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

knock or farranfore airport? which is easier to get to?

• 03-06-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

want to travel to portugal - as ryanair no longer service shannon, in not sure which airport to choose kerry or knock. I know farranfore is about 1.5hrs from limerick but how far is knock from ennis?
    have a small baby so want the least amount of travel possible
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I would take the ferry across, it's about half an hour to the ferry from Ennis, 20 minutes crossing, half an hour the other side, you get to get out of the car with the baby on the ferry so it'll make it a lot easier, Knock is ~2 hours drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Knock is a grand drive since the Claremorris bypass was opened. Easily under 2 hours. Tuam would be only bad spot on way. Much handier drive here than Kerry airport though the Ferry is a good idea if feasible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

How about the roadworks in Gort? They are a nightmare at the moment.

I'd say either way would be fine though, both have pros and cons, if it was me and I had a baby I'd be taking the ferry, as I said it's an excuse to stop and it's a nice drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

wouldn't be so keen on tjhe ferry as you end up in tarbert and you will have a cross country drive to get to farranfore. Straight through Limerick and down to farranfore is about 1;45 from ennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Clareman wrote: »
    Personally I would take the ferry across, it's about half an hour to the ferry from Ennis, 20 minutes crossing, half an hour the other side, you get to get out of the car with the baby on the ferry so it'll make it a lot easier, Knock is ~2 hours drive

What do you drive? You'll be 20 mins on a crap road just getting to Tralee from Tarbert and at least 20 mins from there to Farranfore depending on route. Whereas you could take the motorway to Limerick and a pretty decent road most of the way into Castleisland, if you beat the traffic there, you're straight into Farranfore, 1hr 45 shouldn't be a problem.

Going to Knock is a royal pain in the arse if you ask me. Gort alone is a nightmare between traffic and crap roads. You've a good run to Galway but again theres traffic hassle on the way in. After that you've to deal with Claregalway which is an utter disaster for traffic, as bad as anywhere in the country really! Then you've Tuam, another bottleneck! Have I said enough? If not... I'll just mention Claregalway again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Really depends on flight time. I flew recently from Knock with 18 month in tow and we allowed 2.5 hrs for journey. Got delayed in Gort for 10 minutes, Claregalway was no problem at 11am and stuck in Tuam for 15 minutes with road works. Still made it in 2 hours. Nice airport, carpark beside terminal, minimum fuss and drove home in 90 minutes on the Sat evening.
    Gort and Tuam should really be anihilated off the face of the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Ennis - Knock airport is 145kms, takes 2 hours and about 5 mins with no delays, add 30mins for delays so its 2.5 hours.

Limerick - Farranfore is 100kms, takes 1.5 hours, not as many delays, add maybe 20mins so still under 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

thanks all
    might just hop on the bit of a motorway into limerick then head to farranfore.
    have to be there for 8am so leaving ennis about 6ish i doubt there will be much traffic (and hopefully young lad will sleep in car).
    check the flight times home from faro to knock and they are very early so going to choose kerry as you leave faro at 4 in the afternoon which means we miss traffic in limerick on way home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

There's also Monarch who fly Ireland West-Faro as an alternative to Ryanair, flight leaves 17.15 Thursday returns at 16.00 Thursday.

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/flightinformation/charter_flight_timetables.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭blueshark22

you can get from ennis to farran fore in an hour and a half, i drive it early morning though so i don't know what it's like during rush hour etc id say the road is better than ennis to knock though, and there are plenty of over- taking lanes etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

thanks neworder, think they quoted 1100 the last time i checked for a wk, we are going ryanair for under 500 for 10 days!!
    tis all about the pocket now adays!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

alibride wrote: »
    thanks all
    might just hop on the bit of a motorway into limerick then head to farranfore.
    have to be there for 8am so leaving ennis about 6ish i doubt there will be much traffic (and hopefully young lad will sleep in car).
    check the flight times home from faro to knock and they are very early so going to choose kerry as you leave faro at 4 in the afternoon which means we miss traffic in limerick on way home too.

I'm going through Limerick every morning about 7:30 ish, if you leave at 6 you should get there an hour earlier. There should really be no delays, King John's Castle or Dock Road should really be clear and no problem, never had a major holdup before 7 anyway and if you get there before 7:30 you should be grand.
    Only gets really hairy after 8, seems everyone starts between 8:30 and 9.
    If you got there about 8:30, forget it, avoid and bypass.

Advertisement