Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthur's Day is Back September 23rd

Options
  • 03-06-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

From Hotpress:

Guinness Arthur’s Day 2010 Line-Up Confirmed
    03 Jun 2010

Snow Patrol, Paolo Nutini, Jose Gonzales, and The View will be among the acts performing.

Guinness have today confirmed that Arthur’s Day will return this year with events taking place in Dublin, Cork and Galway, on 23 September 2010.

Last year Arthur’s Day saw thousands of people across Ireland join to celebrate the 250th anniversary celebrations at St. James’ Gate Brewery, and in pubs and music venues across the country.

This year will see special one-off performances from home-grown favourites Snow Patrol, Sharon Shannon and Heathers, as well as other big name acts like Paolo Nutini, The View, Jay Sean and The Magic Numbers. Over 40 more big name acts will be announced over the Summer.

Speaking to Hot Press today, Snow Patrol frontman Gary Lightbody said the band would be choosing their support acts on the day. “We have complete control over our little pub, whatever pub that is, so goodness knows what’s gonna happen. A lot of sort of circus performers, I think.”

Though he did not disclose who would really be supporting them, Gary did say he was most looking forward to seeing the “brilliant” disco-rock trio We Have Band, The Magic Numbers, Slow Club and The Maccabees “So far [the line-up] is great. Apart from Snow Patrol it all looks fantastic.”

So far, the bands confirmed to play at Arthur’s Day Events across Ireland are:

Snow Patrol
    Paolo Nutini
    Jose Gonzales
    The View
    We Have Band
    MILK
    Broken Records
    Mick Flannery
    The Rags
    John Spillane
    Jay Sean
    The Hoosiers
    Slow Club
    The Maccabees
    The Magic Numbers
    Sharon Shannon
    The High Kings
    The Chapters
    The Dirty 9’s
    Heathers
    Dirty Epics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Oh joy. I can't wait for the advert with all the people getting the name of the day wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Skipped the gigs last year - town was absolutely mental though, like Paddy's Day without the silly fake arses.

I'd imagine they won't be sticking Snow Patrol in a pub - more likely to be in Vicar Street where Razorlight were last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Whatever aout last year, it being a bit of a psecial occasion, but again? Be surprised to see this do as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hopefully might try and work at this since a few of my course last year were asked to work at it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

emc2 wrote: »
    So far, the bands confirmed to play at Arthur’s Day Events across Ireland are:

Snow Patrol
    Paolo Nutini
    Jose Gonzales
    The View
    We Have Band
    MILK
    Broken Records
    Mick Flannery
    The Rags
    John Spillane
    Jay Sean
    The Hoosiers
    Slow Club
    The Maccabees
    The Magic Numbers
    Sharon Shannon
    The High Kings
    The Chapters
    The Dirty 9’s
    Heathers
    Dirty Epics

Good God ... there's absolutely nobody I would bother watching on that list ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hang on, it was September 24 last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Annual Marketing Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thelastpartizan

RayCon wrote: »
    Good God ... there's absolutely nobody I would bother watching on that list ....

Too right, what a pile of pretentious ****e. Coffee shop music for ***** is what all of that is. Have you heard this Paolo Nutini ****, he sounds like he should watch that FAST ad, Now it's Face, Arms, Speech, Telephone, not much of him left to save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭barbiedollz

when and where will u b able to find out where the various bands are playing???
    and ,,,,how do u get entry/tickets or whatever to them?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Sounds like another rip off, just like last year....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    Sounds like another rip off, just like last year....

Weren't the majority of gigs free last year? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Weren't the majority of gigs free last year? :confused:

with discounted beer (or free in some places)
    Yup, biggest rip off ever :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Dermo wrote: »
    with discounted beer (or free in some places)
    Yup, biggest rip off ever :p

Although some pubs that weren't officially taking part did jack up the price of a pint of Guinness to cash in on the day.

Although some pubs that weren't officially taking part did jack up the price of a pint of Guinness to cash in on the day.

if I was in a pub that did that I would never go back. That's just bad form

Yay.

Half price guinness again. (:

Yay.

Half price guinness again. (:

Where was offering half price Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Haha Im going to drink Murphys on the day just because...

I laugh they are having a big competition so thats what they say, all I seem to here is "Guinness and mmm Guinnes" to "have a chance to support Snow Patrol" on Arthurs day doesnt mention anything about it in that little snip...****e Pants

really not impressed with them

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Where was offering half price Guinness?

Everywhere I went.

In Galway, I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MacAva

FREE Guiness.

MacAva wrote: »
    FREE Guiness.

The extra 'n' costs €20 though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MacAva

Dermo wrote: »
    The extra 'n' costs €20 though

icon10.gif

Milly33 wrote: »
    I laugh they are having a big competition so thats what they say, all I seem to here is "Guinness and mmm Guinnes" to "have a chance to support Snow Patrol" on Arthurs day doesnt mention anything about it in that little snip...****e Pants

really not impressed with them

What?

I think the day was made for me last year when amongst a group of late teens early 20 something girls one tried to piss into a can on the bus into town from Dun Laoghaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

emc2 wrote: »
    Guinness Arthur’s Day 2010 Line-Up Confirmed
    03 Jun 2010

Snow Patrol
    Paolo Nutini
    Jose Gonzales
    The View
    We Have Band
    MILK
    Broken Records
    Mick Flannery
    The Rags
    John Spillane
    Jay Sean
    The Hoosiers
    Slow Club
    The Maccabees
    The Magic Numbers
    Sharon Shannon
    The High Kings
    The Chapters
    The Dirty 9’s
    Heathers
    Dirty Epics

Going to be shoite!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 meg91

Does anyone know where the Maccabees will be playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have no interest in any of the bands, but have entered the competition and got through round 1, it's free publicity as far as I'm concerned....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Arthur's Day is back this year with events taking place in Dublin, Cork and Galway and other festivities happening throughout the country on Thursday, 23rd September. Arthur's Day honours the remarkable legacy of Arthur Guinness, the pioneering brewer and philanthropist who signed the 9,000 year lease on the St. James's Gate Brewery in 1759 and introduced GUINNESS to the world.

Last year's Arthur's Day celebrations captured the imagination of the entire nation with thousands of people joining artists and celebrities to celebrate the peak of the Guinness 250th Celebrations at St James's Gate Brewery and in pubs and music venues in Dublin and around the world.

This September 23rd, the worldwide celebration will begin at 17:59 (GMT) in Ireland, when Arthur's Day will once again see the nation witness some of the world's most established music artists play in venues around the country, while raising a glass to Arthur Guinness and his lasting legacy.

Check out the list below to see who is playing where.

St James's Gate Brewery, Dublin - Snow Patrol, Guinness Our Thursday's Finalist........plus very special guests

Vicar Street, Dublin - Eliza Doolittle, The Hoosiers, The Maccabees........plus very special guests

The Academy , Dublin- Brandon Flowers, Plan B, Jose Gonzales, Slow Club........plus very special guests

The Olympia, Dublin - The Chapters, Carbon/Silicon, Guinness Our Thursday's Runner Up........plus very special guests

The Village, Dublin - Kelis, Tinie Tempah, Example, We Have Band ........plus very special guests

The Savoy, Cork - Paolo Nutini, KT Tunstall, The View, Fortune, O Emperor, Guinness Our Thursday's Runner Up

Folan Quay, Galway - Newton Faulkner, Magic Numbers, Sharon Shannon, Guinness Our Thursday's Runner Up........plus very special guests

The pub will again be at the heart of the celebrations with 28 pub venues hosting one of the fantastic pub artists who will kick off the celebrations after the toast to Arthur Guinness at 17.59. Pub ticket holders will also get the opportunity to witness surprise performances from one of the studio artists in the intimate surroundings of a pub on the night.

Proceeds from all Arthur's Day ticket sales will be donated to the Arthur Guinness Fund. The Arthur Guinness Fund in Ireland supports social entrepreneurs from across the country. These social entrepreneurs cover a diverse range of interests, each making a significant difference to local communities, primarily in Ireland and also abroad. The Arthur Guinness Fund is designed as a springboard to enable social entrepreneurs to take their initiatives to the next level, and further expand their vision for making a real difference to the people around them.

The Arthur Guinness Fund is an internal fund created by Guinness & Co. which will be used by Guinness & Co. to create opportunities for communities in several countries around the World including providing skills for life and supporting social entrepreneurs. The Fund is not a separate charity but its monies are held separately by Guinness & Co. and will be independently audited. For more information on the Fund visit www.guinness.com

Enjoy Guinness Sensibly. Visit drinkaware.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

just got 2 tickets (well, the wife did) for Paolo Nutini in the Savoy, only cost 23 euro in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Did anybody try to get presale tickets? Most of them seem to be gone by now. Anyone looking for tickets for certain events will have to wait for the general sale tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

I paid 12 or 15 quid into a pub on BAggot St so defo wasnt free and was the same for 35-40 pubs in Dublin. One of the guys from Supergrass played but everyone was talking, sound was brutal and nobody passed any remarks!
    Left soon after and went for pint outside a pub near Dame St and place was mobbed, prob helped that weather was very mild!

Advertisement