Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many hours a day are you doing?

• 03-06-2010 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I'm just wondering how many hours every day on average is everyone doing at the moment? I find it hard to decide how much I should be doing.

I know it's quality over quantity and all that but I just want to know how much time other leaving certs are spending at the books every day.

I'm managing about 3 hours most days which I'm reasonably happy with but I can't help but get the feeling I could be doing more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

depends of my mood on the day :P
    ive done 3today and im taking a break now and i might do another 4/5 later
    not sure tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

It varies from day to day... some days 3, some 9... But most are quite unproductive. If I have a productive day from the beginning I find that I can study for ages without getting distracted, but if I get up and have a leisurely breakfast and am quite lazy in the morning I get distracted for the entire day :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

In exactly 3 mins I want to start studying for the day hah :D

Did like 4 hours yersterday but only coverd 2 things :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

8+. Me feels tired...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

2 or 3. Anything more is a waste of time generally I find

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

I find that im sittin at my desk for ages. but i really amnt learning anything

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

I start at 9am, usually finish around 11pm, taking two 1 hour breaks. Then again I have so much more cramming to do than any of you so it doesn't really count!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

gemxpink wrote: »
    I start at 9am, usually finish around 11pm, taking two 1 hour breaks

respect:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Right worked on bio exam papers for an hour hah,now listening to pod casts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

gemxpink wrote: »
    I start at 9am, usually finish around 11pm, taking two 1 hour breaks. Then again I have so much more cramming to do than any of you so it doesn't really count!

ive so much cramming to do aswell. Gonna take a leaf outta ur book! As a matter of interest, how do u concentrate for so long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

It doesn''t really matter how many hours a day people are doing. It will be different for every individual, it depends what people are aiming for etc also some people are just smarter than others.

I'm doing 5 hours day and I'm cramming away. Some of it is so unproductive though, nothing going into the head and feels like I just done nothing. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I start at one and do maybe an hour then I get bored and cook something to eat.

That takes half an hour. Then I eat it - 20 mins.

Then I go out the back and kick around the ball while I digest my food - 15 mins.

I eventually come back in and try to do some more study but I usually get distracted by Boards.ie & facebook - 20+ mins

Eventually I'll sit down for a bit until I want more food :o All wholesome healthy food though :D And LOTS of water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

I find that im sittin at my desk for ages. but i really amnt learning anything

I'm the same. I spend most of the day at my desk but I only do 1 or 2 hours study. I just end up going on the Internet or daydreaming. Although I've already managed to do over 2 hours today so hopefully I can continue like this. I find that If I do exam questions under time restriction I don't get so distracted. It's easy to get distracted just reading through pages of notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Danger781 wrote: »

Then I go out the back and kick around the ball while I digest my food - 15 mins.
    Haha I do that for my breaks, good fresh air. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

I have been studying since october, but still starting at 11, finishing at around 7. But I do get a bit distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭_Chaos

i dont measure my study in hours, i measure it in how much i got done?
    like theres no point in doing 8 hours if your only gonna do one or two things! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Ah I'm now really scared..I haven't done more than an hour a day for the past week.......:confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

I have gotten very lazy and am only doing a few hours daily, which is not nearly enough. I think I've resigned myself to repeating in 2011. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I work from from 11 to 5 every day with two 20 minute breaks. I could do more, but I just get too tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Here's a useful study guide which I have been trying to follow but have failed miserably:
    The daily rhytm is:
    breakfast – learning – snack – learning – big lunchbreak – learning - snack - learning - eveningbreak - review
    1 h 2½ h 30 min 2½ h 90 min 2½ h 30 min 2½ h 2 h 15 min
    This leaves you about 8 hours of sleep, which you absolutely need with this system.
    Now this is important: Breaking up your day into four learning sessions like this is a must. You cannot study
    efficiently all day for many days without proper breaks. You’ll be dead exhausted after a few days.
    In the middle of your 2½ hour learning-sessions you also take a short fi ve or ten minute break - to stretch,
    walk around, get a glass of water, and then back to studying. If you fi nd 70 minutes of study a bit long, then
    experiment with two quick breaks inside each 2½ hour learning-session.
    The productivity of this exact daily routine will blow you away. You are welcome to use it for other purposes
    as well (like work). I challenge anyone to give me another daily routine that delivers better results than this
    one, without ruining your health.
    Where do we fit exercise into this schedule? Into one of the learning sessions... You just take your MP3 player with
    some audiomaterial with you and go for a walk, a run or to the gym.
    Ok then, what about family time? Into the meal breaks - 1 hour for breakfast, 1½ hour for lunch, 2 hour
    eveningmeal break. If you spend that time with your family members, I guess your time together might actually increase?
    See, I’ve thought about everything! (Actually I learnt this from others who had gathered lots of research behind
    it, tested it myself, and it works magic.)
    And in case you wondered, ‘snack’ up there might be a healthy mini-meal, like eating a fruit, a youghurt, some
    nuts etc. I never gave you license to eat only chips, cholocate and cookies. All that sugar might actually make it
    harder for you to sustain effective learning. So study hard, stay healthy, and be amazed at your results.

Hope this helps,
    Brian

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

kev9100 wrote: »
    I work from from 11 to 5 every day with two 20 minute questions. I could do more, but I just get too tired.

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one whose brain is fried because of work :L

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

I have some amount of cramming to do between here and the ninth...I'll definitely have to pull an all-nighter for Physics and possibly Biology...life is tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

I've been going to the library to study which is good because I get loads done and there's less distractions, did six hours today :) Only problem is I'm wrecked when I come home which isn't that late (5 - 6 o'clock) and only do another hour maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I aim for 6 or 7 but usually fall short to around 4 or 5....next week and during exams it's gonna be anytime I can,I study!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

I felt so good on sunday 'cause i got 7 hours of really productive work done and thought this week would play out similar to that....... it hasn't :( ......got no more that two hours work done each day :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I find that I do more when I think about how scary the exams will be if I don't know everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

8-12 hours usually, so so tired every day but sure look its only for a short while!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MagsK93

I'm going to try that timetable and see how it works out, right now im doing about 4 hours but it takes me ages to learn stuff and i get very easily distracted :( definately cramming physics and art the nights before!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 telephone

Generally about 12 hours minimum a day. Fingers crossed it all pays off! Got 500 in the mocks but want to increase it to 560!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

4-6 hours per day

Advertisement