Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many hours a day are you doing?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

telephone wrote: »
    Generally about 12 hours minimum a day. Fingers crossed it all pays off! Got 500 in the mocks but want to increase it to 560!
    Holy Sh1t!!!!with that study you should be aiming for 600...not a chance in hell I could ever do that much!!!don't really see the point in killing myself if I'm gonna get my course with 400 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Messi 10

So I've learned I'm going to need to step up the study by a small bit.

But anyway to the people who are doing 8 hours or so of study every day, how do you do it?

Seriously, how do you do that without losing your focus totally or getting insanely tired. Even at my most productive for every hour study I do I'd need at least an hour of a break afterward or I'd totally lose my concentration. My problem at the moment though is instead of taking 1 hour breaks I'm taking 3 hour breaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

Messi 10 wrote: »

But anyway to the people who are doing 8 hours or so of study every day, how do you do it?

Seriously, how do you do that without losing your focus totally or getting insanely tired. Even at my most productive for every hour study I do I'd need at least an hour of a break afterward or I'd totally lose my concentration. My problem at the moment though is instead of taking 1 hour breaks I'm taking 3 hour breaks!

I really find studying in a library or at school if your school lets you study there after the grad helps. For me anyway I work better if I feel like people can see what I'm doing (lol maybe i'm just paranoid), there's also less distractions, if I'm at home by myself when my dad and sister are at work then i just do nothing for the day. This may be different for different for different people but i study much better earlier in the day then at night cos I feel tired so try getting up early and going to bed early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Messi 10 wrote: »

First of all wake up ridiculously early. Get a sheet and make your timetable for the day. I personally plan it around an hour of a subject, then a fifteen minute break, and so on. DO NOT GO ON FACEBOOK for the 15 minute break or if you do set a 5-10 minute timer and log off as soon as it goes off. Discipline!
    I give myself an hour for lunch and in that try to get some fresh air which helps your concentration. Conitinue working like this until the evening, and then usually things slow down after dinner so I give myself the evenings off! This is why I get up early...
    Also I find meeting friends or taking long breaks in the middle of the day really distracting and makes me lose my focus completely... Maybe that's just me though

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

zam wrote: »
    First of all wake up ridiculously early. Get a sheet and make your timetable for the day. I personally plan it around an hour of a subject, then a fifteen minute break, and so on. DO NOT GO ON FACEBOOK for the 15 minute break or if you do set a 5-10 minute timer and log off as soon as it goes off. Discipline!
    I give myself an hour for lunch and in that try to get some fresh air which helps your concentration. Conitinue working like this until the evening, and then usually things slow down after dinner so I give myself the evenings off! This is why I get up early...
    Also I find meeting friends or taking long breaks in the middle of the day really distracting and makes me lose my focus completely... Maybe that's just me though

Doesn't seem like a bad idea!! Just one question though, what time is seriously early??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Usually around 3-4 but sometimes 5+ and that's always a cause for celebration

lc2010 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like a bad idea!! Just one question though, what time is seriously early??

Haha it's probably not that early. Just for me. Wake up around half 7 and begin working at 8-8.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Haha it's probably not that early. Just for me. Wake up around half 7 and begin working at 8-8.30!

Oh right yeah that seems doable. lol I was thinking you were suggesting some mad time like 6!!:):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

lc2010 wrote: »
    Oh right yeah that seems doable. lol I was thinking you were suggesting some mad time like 6!!:):p

I plan on getting up around 5am each morning during the exams to do some much needed cramming.
    Knowing me, I'll be up at 8:50 and racing to get in to the feckin hall on time :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

4-6 hours a day. Anythign beyond that you're kidding yourself. No way the brain can maintain all the info you process in 12-14 hrs per day. At the end of it all you'll be so wrecked that in those 12 hours you'd really only get a good solid 4 hours done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I did a masters in UCC, about 6 hours a day was the most I topped off. cant imagine lc student would do much more, too much study is going to f**k you over.

get rest and the most important thing is to have a clear study plan.

I started studying for my modules in april, about 3 day per module.

In may it was the serious stuff, again 2 days, 3 days per module.

as long as you cover the stuff thats all the matters, who ever corrects papers are not robots and they mark accordingly, they will know if the student has put in an effort from the paper they correct.

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

At the moment I'm doing about 5 hours study a day and then just flicking through my notes in the evenings when I'm tired. Finding it impossible to concentrate though just can't wait until its over!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

an hour and a half a day i'd say but I'm gonna step it up today and go for 6. for the first time I'm actually worried about the LC which is a good thing because it makes me study but why am I only getting worried now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

ive so much cramming to do aswell. Gonna take a leaf outta ur book! As a matter of interest, how do u concentrate for so long?

Sorry forgot about this thread :D

Guilt! Sheer guilt of not doing anything all year (okay, slight exaggeration) just makes me focus.

Hope the exams are going okay for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'm doing 5/6 per day.
    I need 4 As and 1 B, including As in Maths and Applied Maths to get my course, a 4-year masters degree in Maths in St. Andrews, Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

these days doing about 5 hrs... i dnt start til about 2 cuz i dnt work well early in the day.. sometimes i keep studyin til about half 12 at night...

last yr it was a night before job before all the exams nd i got 420

hoping for 470 but highly doubt that this is going to happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,797 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

about 10 mins

I'm doing less and less study as the exams go on! I'm so exhausted from actually doing the exam and get complacent! Ah well sure, it's almost over.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

I'm doing less and less study as the exams go on! I'm so exhausted from actually doing the exam and get complacent! Ah well sure, it's almost over

Exactly how i feel! Its 9 o clock and i feel like iv only been home from maths and hour or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

12 hours a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Will do about 3 tomorrow. Then 3 on Sunday. A bitta cramming in between exams of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

so far the only study ive done is before exams ive been lucky as i dont do home ec geog or engineering so my mornings have been free im screwed monday with irish in morning im not going to have my few cram hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

Seloth wrote: »
    Right worked on bio exam papers for an hour hah,now listening to pod casts.

any predictions for bio??

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

My week next week:

Mon: Maths & Irish
    Tues: Irish & Business
    Wed: French & History
    Thurs: Art History

might as well kill me now! I better do at least an hour of irish tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

I'm doing less and less study as the exams go on! I'm so exhausted from actually doing the exam and get complacent! Ah well sure, it's almost over.

:O it's only started!!

I'm too tired to do any study after exams. I just read over my notes, that's all I have the energy to do and usually do that in bed. Wrecked today after geog and maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

:O it's only started!!

Yeah but depending on subjects s/he could have 4 and a half exams down already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

dodgystuff wrote: »
    My week next week:

Ouch. My schedule is lovely, Monday is the only day I have 2 exams. I do history, accounting, german, chemistry and app maths besides the core subjects and fortunately they're all spread out.

dodgystuff wrote: »
    My week next week:

Yeh I'm the same except Biology on thurs. In the morning. At least art is in the afternoon for you:). I don't do business though. Then I have chem 4 days later then summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

I'll do about 3 hours max.
    I watch a lot of tv...chillout at night times.

Advertisement