Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno/evo qualifier prize structure DISCUSSION

Options
  • 02-06-2010 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with the TE stick? I take it thats not in the mix anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

I am still waiting to hear back regarding the te, if one becomes available it will be be given out to somebody, but not to the person who goes to evo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Nobody has an opinion on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

particularly the players who normally finish in and around the top three.

Dont agree with that statement, we are not here to fund them.

This is a once off and extreme situation, and yes I think that this once a smaller prize pot is acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

to be honest I'd be fine with no cash prize at all, evos more important, it only a once off occassion. But i think you've come up with a fair compromise, espcially given your putting your own hands in your pockets.

Anyone have anything worth raffling?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Dont agree with that statement, we are not here to fund them.

This is a once off and extreme situation, and yes I think that this once a smaller prize pot is acceptable

I didn't mean their opinion holds more weight, just that they're the ones likely to be most affected and we want all our best players to turn up, not stay at home as they feel aggrieved by the prize pot.

Majority rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Then no one goes to evo?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Ramza wrote:
    I think 100 is fine, people need to accept the situation with the evo stuff

People need to make up there own minds, they don't have to accept anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Azza wrote: »
    People need to make up there own minds, they don't have to accept anything.

I think if people are really sore about it, they need a good reason. As of now the situations stands with the evo stuff

Seems most people are happy with it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ramza wrote: »
    I think if people are really sore about it, they need a good reason. As of now the situations stands with the evo stuff

What does this even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

As someone who's guaranteed not to be in the top 3 I don't really mind how it's allocated, what's the entry fee though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

€15.00

Ramza wrote: »

chunkis doesn't run inferno though, so this is by no means definitive? I mean if this is what the thread is for I'd like to be able to have my opinion on it either way

edit: oh please kneecaps, I think it's pretty obvious that we mean we want the no evo thing.

I was just saying that with the evo stuff going on and the flight needing paying etc I think the lowered pot of 100 between 1st 2nd and 3rd is fair given the situation. I mean people have the right to object but it's just for one week and sending someone to evo is a great plus too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Would be a shame to completely dump the Evo thing, I'm in favor of still trying to keep this as a winner gets a ticket to evo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Aye I agree Sisko.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

If the winner doesn't want to go, they should be free to give the ticket(as it is their property) to whomever they see fit(and wants to go, obviously).....

This solves all the problems IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Ken B wrote: »
    If the winner doesn't want to go, they should be free to give the ticket(as it is their property) to whomever they see fit(and wants to go, obviously).....

This solves all the problems IMO.

Thats kinda true, but i would like to see 2nd place go, if first place can`t.

I think if 2nd place really wanted to go, and saw the ticket given away to the 3rd place finisher i think he would be heart broken.

But you made a valid enough point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Creature wrote: »
    I vote for the usual money prize too.

Don't look at me like that, I could win. :mad:

No you won't. (I'm not having a go.)

Realistically there are around 5 to 7 people who may finish in top 3.
    So that leaves on average 20 plus people who go to this comp's knowing there's no way they'll make any money out of it and it will defineitely cost thme to walk in the door.

So they pay €15 every time, for at most, this.

So for people to say, "No I'm no going if the prize is evo tickets, I'm generally a winner in top 3 or more, the usual prize fund isn't there, it's not worth my while, couldn't care less about Evo, I won't go...."

The community isn't about the winners of the inferno tourneys.....
    It's about those that do turn up knowing they're paying to experience something online will never give, someone always wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I was joking...

I'd be lucky to even get last place. I'll probably get negative last place even though thats not even possible or doesn't make any sense.

• Advertisement

chunkis wrote: »
    Thats kinda true, but i would like to see 2nd place go, if first place can`t.

I think if 2nd place really wanted to go, and saw the ticket given away to the 3rd place finisher i think he would be heart broken.

But you made a valid enough point.

Yeah it makes sense to give it to the next person in line as long as they actually want to/will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

As Baal said, the way to go is the one that gets an Irish player to Evo with as little hassle and as little money lost as possible.

I'd seriously consider making this a winner-take-all affair, with the top three maybe getting their entry fee back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wonder if I can finally make Top16.
    It's been so long...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

A-Trak wrote: »
    No you won't. (I'm not having a go.)

Realistically there are around 5 to 7 people who may finish in top 3.
    So that leaves on average 20 plus people who go to this comp's knowing there's no way they'll make any money out of it and it will defineitely cost thme to walk in the door.

So they pay €15 every time, for at most, this.

So for people to say, "No I'm no going if the prize is evo tickets, I'm generally a winner in top 3 or more, the usual prize fund isn't there, it's not worth my while, couldn't care less about Evo, I won't go...."

The community isn't about the winners of the inferno tourneys.....
    It's about those that do turn up knowing they're paying to experience something online will never give, someone always wins.

What is the inferno pricing structure?
    and where does the extra money go and how much do we have ?
    If its not about winning, then surely we dont need an entry fee to be that much, Its like 10$ DOLLARS for SF4 in EVO, why is it €15 EUROS for us? for ranking battles ?
    Anyway while 15 is nothing, some people end up spending 50, by getting there, eating and going home and the entry fee is some what an off putter .

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Placebo wrote: »
    If its not about winning, then surely we dont need an entry fee to be that much, Its like 10$ DOLLARS for SF4 in EVO, why is it €15 EUROS for us? for ranking battles ?
    Anyway while 15 is nothing, some people end up spending 50, by getting there, eating and going home and the entry fee is some what an off putter .
    Pretty sure flights to Vegas from Ireland cost more than from somewhere in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

The Inferno pricing structure is €5 for console rental and €10 for the tournament.

Currently Dreddy is holding the extra money and we have €180. This will hopefully be going towards buying a hauppage or other improved recording equipment, although has been used previously for other things such as paying the little bit extra that was needed for the launch event.

I can see the entry fee being somewhat off putting, which is why I would like to run some cheaper tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

My response is still in the other thread...General entry to EVO (before tournaments) will set you back $50. Every tournament works differently and offers different things. The lads have kept costs down while still being able to offer a prize fund by essentially hijacking a games centre :D

🤪

The majority of the extra money is from casuals anyway, not leftover rental money from the last Inferno.

Saturday is looking to be a pretty big and important tournament regardless of what it is. I say important cause it's looking like a lot of new people are coming to this.

Then we have the lads from the west coming to this and we could have a few fun team tourneys.

I'd love it if someone could be sent to evo alright. But I really want saturday to be a good event more then anything right now. And the evo/inferno thing is all quite messy.

It would seem like most of the top players who'll be there won't be able to go to evo regardless of winning a ticket. This is making things messy , really don't want Saturday to be messy at all. If we kept it inferno we'd avoid messyness alright.

As much as it pains me to say this , as we're running out of time and as someone who would like to see someone sent to evo but not at the cost of saturdays event:

Whats the worst case scenario of us forgetting the Evo thing at this stage , and picking it up again next year?

And then whats the most realistic fall out from doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I agree. Its really messy, whats the point of doing a tournament where half the people dont want to go to evo? I think it should be a seperate tournament or nothing at all.

Advertisement