Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno/evo qualifier prize structure DISCUSSION

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

The worst case scenario of not doing the Evo thing this year is that we just end up not having someone going from our community etc to rep

On the other hand with all the mess up and stuff surrounding it, at this stage to call it off and schedule it for next year would save time and money

Also, I suggested in another thread we should do a SVB qual or something. I was talking to people today about it and they agree it seems more practical and easier as of now, but still, just an idea

Lots of guys from the community are going to SVB anyway, it's closer/easier in general too. Just seems better IMO at this stage, although either way it's w/e. Regardless of whether SVB give us sponsorship/a place or whatever, we can still do out own unofficial qual as nothing else changes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

we dont need an svb qual. you can fly to england for less than my bus to dublin.

Im still considering going (to evo) myself anyway, anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I wouldn't have the money.

And regarding SVB sure there'll more than likely be a bunch of us going over yeah, but whats the harm in a tourney of which the winner has his ticket and maybe accommodation paid for plus possibly a seeding spot, be good craic I'd say.

Something to look into but no point talking about SVB right now , its Saturday we need to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

For this weekends Inferno I'd rather it be the normal prize structure but I'm not gonna complain if someone ends up winning and decides they want to go to Evo.

I don't think passing the prize down until someone who placed wants it is a good idea as if someone is to represent us at Evo it should be our best player.

Yeah and it'd be pretty messy as I was saying. It's looking like it'd be passed down pretty low down the ranks at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Maybe everyone should state on the sign up sheet if they can go to evo or not and decide then if its worth going ahead with?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Thats a good idea. It would give an idea of the numbers who can go and those who can't.

I dunno I think deciding before the day is better (imo) as I'm just worried about stuff getting messy on the day. That's where I'm coming from anyway.

I thinking at this stage if we can sacrifice the evo thing as ****ty as that is, without much fallout then screw it, lets just run an inferno and run the flying fuck out of it.

This coming from someone who was on the side of really wanting to send someone to evo. As a player who was never gonna win the thing it was pretty easy for me to say this but looking at all the top guys not really being able to go , I dunno.

Anyway discuss away people. But imo we should decide by tomorrow night.

**edit**

ah wb kirby!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah deciding beforehand is far better in my opinion. It's funny though, afaik almost every player I rate in this community won't be able to go to Evo, so even if we do end up sending a player I wonder how well they'll be able to rep Ireland.

For the players who aren't gonna go and have a shot at winning, 100 euro/50 euro/33 euro isn't exactly a great return on 15 euro entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

This whole thing seems to boil down pretty simply.

Sending someone to Evo is better for the community.

A big cash prize for Inferno is better for the individual.

Most Individuals want a big cash prize so they can (potentially) benefit themselves by getting more money.

If the committee thing was decided, the obvious choice of action for the committee would be to send someone to Evo for better or worse. Not being able to get our act together enough to even DECIDE if we want to send someone looks far worse than sending someone crap who can't win (all but one person doesn't win, it's not a big deal).

You guys can say you'll "Just do this next year", but there's a lot of reasons why this probably won't happen, not the least of which is that SSFIV will be out over a year at that point, and casual gamer/corporate sponsor interest gets lower drastically quicker as time goes by. Not for super hardcore communities like NorCal or whatever, but we aren't them.

Judging from peoples impressions in other threads, tomorrow stands to see one of the biggest attendances you guys have seen at an Inferno. Don't just piss that away.

/rant

• Advertisement

Theres no point in sending someone just for the sake of it. You may aswell just raffle it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Guys listen up,

Most of you don`t seem to get whats going on.

So let me make things clear.

This event is about building a relationship between us and evo, thats why i decided to run this event, having an irish player at evo doesn`t really do much for us in the long run, but having a relationship with evo does, and thats whats important.

What do you think is going to happen if we don`t send anybody to evo or cancel everything at this stage? Not only is it going to look bad on all of us, but it will effect our relationship with evo, and possibley end it. You are all talking about evo next year, well there wont be a next year, if we don`t make it this year.

Ive worked too hard to get this event for us and i am not about to just give up because its been a rough ride. Its heartbreaking to sit down and read what people are saying about whats been going on, when most of you don`t know the work that goes into something like this or what it actually means to the community here in ireland to have something like an evo qualifier.

There is no other european country doing what we are doing, we are lucky to be working with evo and have them suppport us. A lot of countries wanted to run evo qualifiers, but didn`t get them. We are the only country in europe to have this event going on, which is an achievement in itself and credit to our community, its made other communities around the world take notice of us and its put us on the map. Next year everybody in europe is going to want to run an evo qualifying event and its all because of us.

I would hate to see the rest of europe running evo qualifiers and ireland getting left out, because thats exactly whats going to happen.

Its really heartbreaking to have you guys sit down and not support this event. Kneecap is the only person who actually said you know what, **** the prize money, its not important, lets just run this event and send somebody to evo, because that is whats important.

This event is more important than any tournament we have done to date, its going to open doors for us and its going to be a step forward for our community, it builds up our portfolio for the future and it builds our relationship with evo, it will also be our gateway to working with a lot of the top esports events in europe and give us a chance at working with the japanese when it comes to sbo qualifiers, not to mention making life easier when it comes to securing sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Sisko wrote: »
    This is making things messy , really don't want Saturday to be messy at all. If we kept it inferno we'd avoid messyness alright.

What a messy paragraph :P

In response to chunkis' post above, i agree that it would be best for us to send someone. There are still some top players in Ireland who are willing to go and they should not be denied this chance of a lifetime because of the apathy of others. In fact there are players (who i won't name) who i'd be proud to have represent us at evo.

This whole thing seems to boil down pretty simply.

Sending someone to Evo is better for the community.

A big cash prize for Inferno is better for the individual.

Most Individuals want a big cash prize so they can (potentially) benefit themselves by getting more money.

If the committee thing was decided, the obvious choice of action for the committee would be to send someone to Evo for better or worse. Not being able to get our act together enough to even DECIDE if we want to send someone looks far worse than sending someone crap who can't win (all but one person doesn't win, it's not a big deal).

You guys can say you'll "Just do this next year", but there's a lot of reasons why this probably won't happen, not the least of which is that SSFIV will be out over a year at that point, and casual gamer/corporate sponsor interest gets lower drastically quicker as time goes by. Not for super hardcore communities like NorCal or whatever, but we aren't them.

Judging from peoples impressions in other threads, tomorrow stands to see one of the biggest attendances you guys have seen at an Inferno. Don't just piss that away.

/rant

Thats exactly what people should be posting.

+ rep

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I don't agree with a lot of what people are saying here... An Irish representative at Evo would be brilliant, even if they didn't do amazingly well, they could still be an excellent ambassador for our community and have a great time. That said, I reckon there's at least 10-15 players who have the ability to do well(and very well, in a couple of cases). Even if a not so great player went over, I'd be willing to support them and their decision.

It would show real guts and moxy on that community member's part (however good/bad they do) and you gotta love that..

Ken B wrote: »
    I don't agree with a lot of what people are saying here... An Irish representative at Evo would be brilliant, even if they didn't do amazingly well, they could still be an excellent ambassador for our community and have a great time. That said, I reckon there's at least 10-15 players who have the ability to do well(and very well, in a couple of cases). Even if a not so great player went over, I'd be willing to support them and their decision.

It would show real guts and moxy on that community member's part (however good/bad they do) and you gotta love that..

Nice post ken

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

why leave it to public vote, just agree on the committee and the committee decides.

Personally EVO > Cash prize,
    its pretty obvious !! what Ken B said

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So can you guys post that in the VOTES thread then. Although I won't count yours Farz as you said you won't be in attendance.

Although I won't count yours Farz as you said you won't be in attendance.

Aye. I vote for yes should mean you are going to the tournament and are willing to go to evo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

So can you guys post that in the VOTES thread then. Although I won't count yours Farz as you said you won't be in attendance.

Why does that matter? because i'm not putting any money in so surely my vote doesn't count? Il be sure to drop €20 euro down if thats how things really are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Bush80 wrote: »
    Aye. I vote for yes should mean you are going to the tournament and are willing to go to evo

A vote is a vote.

I don't think you should get to discount them on made-up criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

No problem with the EVO ticket as long as the winner/nominated ticketholder levels up and goes there to bust up some heads instead of zero and out (obviously can't be helped if you get some group of death) then proceed to watch and waste time in Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Placebo wrote: »
    Why does that matter? because i'm not putting any money in so surely my vote doesn't count? Il be sure to drop €20 euro down if thats how things really are.

I didn't mean it like "You're not coming so **** you!", but it'd be unfair on people who want it as normal if I counted votes of people who aren't going to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

No problem with the EVO ticket as long as the winner/nominated ticketholder levels up and goes there to bust up some heads instead of zero and out

I don't agree with this. If the irish player loses every match it will be a consequence of the skill gap rather than the players ability. Plus, demanding that the player go over there and not lose every match is putting unneccessary pressure on them.

For this first EVO, we are there to represent

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

animaX wrote: »
    I don't agree with this. If the irish player loses every match it will be a consequence of the skill gap rather than the players ability. Plus, demanding that the player go over there and not lose every match is putting unneccessary pressure on them.

For this first EVO, we are there to represent

I genuinely don't believe every single American player is on that much of a higher level than us. A couple obviously have a lot more experience and are on a higher level overall, but not everyone in America is Justin Wong. Look at what Cobelcog and Blag achieved in France.

I don't understand how it's putting unnecessary pressure on them either, whoever gets to go is seriously privileged to have that chance. Like I said, if you get some insane pool, it happens, but otherwise I don't think it's much to ask that they return the favour and represent the country well by showing that we're not free. I guess I should re-iterate, if they don't get out of groups but put up a good fight, I'm more than satisfied with that.

Placebo wrote: »

Its not the money, im going tomorrow either way. I dont think its worth mixing evo and inferno if only 20% of the people in the tournament are willing to go to evo.

I genuinely don't believe every single American player is on that much of a higher level than us. A couple obviously have a lot more experience and are on a higher level overall, but not everyone in America is Justin Wong. Look at what Cobelcog and Blag achieved in France. I don't understand how it's putting unnecessary pressure on them either, whoever gets to go is seriously privileged to have that chance. Like I said, if you get some insane pool, it happens, but otherwise I don't think it's much to ask that they return the favour and represent the country well by showing that we're not free.

Ye you see a lot of people on the streams who are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Chunkis, beyond announcing the event on SRK, what support is EVO giving us? I personally haven't seen confirmation that they have done anything for.

Also are you trying to claim that if we want to run our event to send someone to EVO next year, we won't be allowed?

Personally I always thought this was a mistake. Our community is not at level where we can run an event of this calibre. We should have the money in place to send someone over regardless of what happened on the day and the event should have announced far in advance choosing a date that suited everyone. At this stage in our community, I believe it is more important to establish our own events such as Inferno with a set day, entry and prize pot.

As for the point of casual gamer/corporate sponsor interest, we have very little of that as it is. So I don't see that an extra year to get our stuff together and build our finances and equipment to the point where we can run this properly.

This tournament may well have the biggest attendance to date but I don't believe for one second that has anything to do with EVO. The last Inferno had the biggest attendance to that date and so did the one previous and the one before and so on. Our tournament attendances have been growing month on month due to the hard work of this community as a whole and especially because of Kneecaps (man doesn't not get enough props imo)

As for a step forward, I believe that better recording equipment/commentry on videos/spectator machines/lagless monitors are a far more important step forward in our community then sending someone to EVO with our community money and putting all effort into events that raise money for the plane fare.

This isn't apathy. I would love to send someone EVO. I would love to send a team to SBO. However these things have to be done when our community is at a point where we can support it and do it right.

This won't make a huge difference as the votes are mostly but I would regret it if I kept my silence again.

Orim wrote: »
    As for a step forward, I believe that better recording equipment/commentry on videos/spectator machines/lagless monitors are a far more important step forward in our community then sending someone to EVO with our community money and putting all effort into events that raise money for the plane fare.

I like this and i agree, your 100% correct, these are the things we should be focusing on and we will focus on them after this tournament is over, trust me. After this is done, its back to normal for the most part.

However, Evo has given us exposure and it has made a lot of new people awear of what we are doing in ireland, new people are finding us because of the evo event, ive even recived some emails and private messages from players in ireland who didn`t know anything like this exsisted, talking about evo and daigo and all sorts of stuff, it has made an impact to the community and people are finding us because of the evo event, of course its just building on top of what we already had, but having an community event advertised on srk and on capcom unity was good for us, it created exposure, it directed people to the streetfighter.ie website and its created ripples in the water for us.

But i understand your point of view i agree with you on most things.

Between the two of us orim, i don`t think there is anybody else in the community who are as dedicated as we are to making the community better. No disrespect to anybody else, we all work hard and we all want to make things better and we have, props to all of us, its just that everytime i see you orim, thats all we talk about, we talk more than we play, everytime we go to the pub its the same again, community community community, we don`t stop, because we want this community to prosper and we want it to suceeed.

The evo event is a step forward for all of us.

• Advertisement

Orim wrote: »
    Chunkis, beyond announcing the event on SRK, what support is EVO giving us? I personally haven't seen confirmation that they have done anything for.

Also are you trying to claim that if we want to run our event to send someone to EVO next year, we won't be allowed?

Sorry i didn`t answer this before, evo hasn`t given me as much support this time, compared to the last time i ran a qualifier, however evo are the type of organisation to turn around and say yo chunkis, good job, there is 500 euros, use that to help your community grow. So its in our best interests to keep the relationship between evo and ourselves sweet.

Also by pulling out of this event, it could end our relationship with them completely, i am not about to throw 10 years of hard work down the toilet, its taken me that long to build up a solid foundation with evo that has put me in a postion where they trust me enough to run events under there name and give me money to sponsor events.

I am greatful for evos support, everybody should be, even though they havent given any money this time, am sure in the future if funds are available we would mostly likely be on the reciveing end of them.

Building bridges between communities is vital, especially one with evo.

Advertisement