Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

oil change 4 stroke yamaha xt 125 r

• 03-06-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

hi i need to change my oil and just need some help on doing it, never done it before.

all i need to do is remove the bolt near gear pedal? and let it drain? then unscrew on other side and fill it back with new oil yes?

any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Fair play to you - changing the oil isn't rocket science and you should have the whole job done in 10 minutes.

A few pointers before you start

Go for a short spin to warm up the oil, it'll flow sweetly when draining bring as much sludge with it

Remember when undoing any nut - clockwise to tighten, anti-clockwise to undo (laugh all you want, but when the bolts under the sump - some do get confused!)

Have some opened up plactic bags in an old biscut tin ready to push under where the old oil drains from

When you think all the old oils drained, sitting on the bike gently sway the bike from side to side to get the last oil from any nooks and crannies.

clean the drain plug and inspect the rubber O ring - replace the drain plug firmly, but don't over tighten before adding fresh oil back in the engine

Your owners booklet should have the amounts of oil needed, but let the oil settle for a few minutes and check the lever - never over/under fill

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tezzy_v2

pretty sure its the same engine as my YBR125 so 1 litre of oil exactly should fill it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

Nodster wrote: »
    Fair play to you - changing the oil isn't rocket science and you should have the whole job done in 10 minutes.

A few pointers before you start

Go for a short spin to warm up the oil, it'll flow sweetly when draining bring as much sludge with it

Remember when undoing any nut - clockwise to tighten, anti-clockwise to undo (laugh all you want, but when the bolts under the sump - some do get confused!)

Have some opened up plactic bags in an old biscut tin ready to push under where the old oil drains from

When you think all the old oils drained, sitting on the bike gently sway the bike from side to side to get the last oil from any nooks and crannies.

clean the drain plug and inspect the rubber O ring - replace the drain plug firmly, but don't over tighten before adding fresh oil back in the engine

Your owners booklet should have the amounts of oil needed, but let the oil settle for a few minutes and check the lever - never over/under fill
    wise words me man but whats with de lever checking business? dip stick is the way ta go . unless ya ride a bonnie :rolleyes: levers for changing gears :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

wise words me man but whats with de lever checking business? dip stick is the way ta go . unless ya ride a bonnie :rolleyes: levers for changing gears :D

only noticed the spelling error yesterday and was too late to edit :o

Oil level not lever, why thank you Garda PB :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

Nodster wrote: »
    only noticed the spelling error yesterday and was too late to edit :o

Oil level not lever, why thank you Garda PB :cool:

who's this other pox bottle u speak of :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭tinofapples

OP what sort of oil did you use ? Only recently purchased one of these and have a few jobs for doing on it might as well change the oil while I'm at it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

OP what sort of oil did you use ? Only recently purchased one of these and have a few jobs for doing on it might as well change the oil while I'm at it :D

The OP is probably driving a Gixxer 750 by now - this thread is ancient.

Buy four litres of Motul or other reputable brand of 10w40 bike oil and change it at the recommended service interval (or 3000 miles). I can't find an online manual for that bike but I suspect it doesn't have an oil filter so more frequent oil changes are needed if you want to keep it fresh.

Stick up a pic?

'cptr

The OP is probably driving a Gixxer 750 by now - this thread is ancient.

Buy four litres of Motul or other reputable brand of 10w40 bike oil and change it at the recommended service interval (or 3000 miles). I can't find an online manual for that bike but I suspect it doesn't have an oil filter so more frequent oil changes are needed if you want to keep it fresh.

Stick up a pic?

'cptr
    Can see Halfords stock their own brand and Castrol but can't see me getting Motul locally (Galway). Should i be getting fully or part synthetic? Thanks for your reply btw :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Can see Halfords stock their own brand and Castrol but can't see me getting Motul locally (Galway). Should i be getting fully or part synthetic? Thanks for your reply btw :-)

eMotorcycles stock Motul, part synthetic is all you ever need (full synthetic is really only for racebikes and very high performance machines). Halfords own brand is perfect for what you need but eMotorcycles is my local bike shop and I like to support them.

'cptr

• Advertisement

eMotorcycles stock Motul, part synthetic is all you ever need (full synthetic is really only for racebikes and very high performance machines). Halfords own brand is perfect for what you need but eMotorcycles is my local bike shop and I like to support them.

'cptr

Thanks again. I'm all for supporting local myself but saved €30 on a brake disc by buying from online irish seller.

I'll get a pic up later btw.

Here it is :

2011-12-14142018.jpg

2011-12-14142042-1.jpg

Update ..... just got 4 litres of Castrol GTX 10w40 in local co-op. Wouldn't be making the 40 mile trip to Galway for a week maybe 10 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Update ..... just got 4 litres of Castrol GTX 10w40 in local co-op. Wouldn't be making the 40 mile trip to Galway for a week maybe 10 days.
    Don't use car oil!
    Your bike has a wet clutch and they don't like the additives that car oil uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Don't use car oil!
    Your bike has a wet clutch and they don't like the additives that car oil uses.

No offence to 125 four stroke single cyclinder owners. (I was that soldier) but GTX is fine for fairly low powered engines. Ask any bike courier that's been at the game for over 6 months and has been through a few bikes. Use the oil that you bought for now. But next time try to get a motorcycle specified oil. It's a good habit to get into early....

No offence to 125 four stroke single cyclinder owners. (I was that soldier) but GTX is fine for fairly low powered engines. Ask any bike courier that's been at the game for over 6 months and has been through a few bikes. Use the oil that you bought for now. But next time try to get a motorcycle specified oil. It's a good habit to get into early....

Thanks for that.

Advertisement