Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking for going to Croke Park

Options
  • 03-06-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im going to the Westlife concert in croke park on saturday and am planning on driving up from Wexford for the event. I've been researching parking and am looking for some help. I've been looking at the parking option in Marlbourough Street, or at Ushers Quay, I've also been looking at the park and ride option at the red cow.

Can anyone please offer me some advice? any help would be gratefully appricated!

Ciara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

are you staying in Dublin overnight or are you driving back to wexford afterwards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ciara.smilie

I'm driving back to Wexford after the concert

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

The Marlborough Street one seems your best bet, you can walk to Croke Park from there. It would be about a 20 minute walk.

They have a special rate for Croke park events:
    Special Offer for Croke Park Event Days
    If attending an event at Croke Park, park all day for only €7.00.
    Simply go to our Customer Service desk on arrival and show your event ticket along with your Q-Park ticket.
    link

If you have a pitch standing ticket you go in the Fosters Terrace end, you should see the roads around Croke Park on google maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I agree with Cathoo, Marlborough St is a good bet. I use it whenever I go to Croke Park. It's handy for a quick getaway afterwards as you get ahead of the traffic.

Excellent, Thanks guys, hopefully I'll get there ok - I've never driven in Dublin before! and hopefully ill get a space in there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Excellent, Thanks guys, hopefully I'll get there ok - I've never driven in Dublin before! and hopefully ill get a space in there :)

If you've never driven in dublin before I'd say go with the park and ride at the red cow. The Luas will have you in the center in about 10 min max, then just 10/15 min walk from connelly or abbey street plus you'll avoiding all post concert traffic. There is prob going to be 60,000 people leaving croke park after the concert and the majority of them will park in car parks in and around the city like Marlbourough Street, it wouldn suprise me if it took you way over an hour to get back onto the M50 after the concert.

Luckley I live quiet close to Croke Park but Another Gem of a parking spot for match and concert goers I always think of is the airport. Always guaranteed a parking spot and with the of 41 a/b/c buses going through dromcondra you'll be dropped at the door step of croke park

enjoy the concert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Unless you are coming into Dublin before 1 o'clock or so, i'd forget about trying to park in town as you will stuck in traffic on the way in and on the way out. How about parking in Bray and getting the DART?
    You would miss all of the city traffic and would be back on the M11 rapidly.

I always think of is the airport. Always guaranteed a parking spot and with the of 41 a/b/c buses going through dromcondra you'll be dropped at the door step of croke park

I had been looking at the airport, but when I went to look at the transport in and out from the airport and last bus is leaving pretty early and I'd be afraid that I'll miss it and be stuck then. Yeah I can imagine the traffic is going to be a nightmare.
    Unless you are coming into Dublin before 1 o'clock or so, i'd forget about trying to park in town as you will stuck in traffic on the way in and on the way out. How about parking in Bray and getting the DART?

I'm planning on leaving Wexford at about 10am which means I should be in Dublin around 12 or so. I had been planning on the Dart origianlly but when I checked the Dart timetable I found the last one leaves for Bray at 23.20 and the last one to grey stones departs at 23.30. I think the gig is meant to be finished at 11, so if it runs over, i'd be in trouble!!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

in the same boat as yourself but coming from and heading back to waterford afterwards, im thinking the red cow park and ride luas option is best!!

at least when it finishes around 11, you've plenty of time to walk back to connelly and then get a luas out, its running till half 12!! then you avoid the traffic and are back on the main road with a straight route home!!

Yeah, I'm starting to think it might well be the best option. I was looking at the Dart, but parking in Bray doesn't look great - the longeset you can park there from what I can make out is ten hours.

I've been looking into the red cow park and ride, and it said somewhere that if you don't have your Luas ticket when your leaving the park, you may be charged more. I've never been on the Luas before, how does it work? Do you usually get the tickets on it?

Hopefully the gig wont run over now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I had been looking at the airport, but when I went to look at the transport in and out from the airport and last bus is leaving pretty early and I'd be afraid that I'll miss it and be stuck then. Yeah I can imagine the traffic is going to be a nightmare.

some of the nite links go to the airport (just check which ones) so if you were looking to stay in town for a bit after you could just get one of them

Yeah, I'm starting to think it might well be the best option. I was looking at the Dart, but parking in Bray doesn't look great - the longeset you can park there from what I can make out is ten hours.

I've been looking into the red cow park and ride, and it said somewhere that if you don't have your Luas ticket when your leaving the park, you may be charged more. I've never been on the Luas before, how does it work? Do you usually get the tickets on it?

As far as I know there's just a machine for tickets! Its very cheap so wouldn't worry about it too much, all day parking is 4 euro i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Aircoach runs 24 hours to the airport and 2 routes actually stop at the Point / O2. It's 14 mins from there to the airport

Lance Storm - What time are you planning on getting to Dublin at?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I was going to suggest Bray but you might be cutting it very fine to get the last train from Drumcondra after the gig. The train would have been much better and closer than the Lusa, but if the Luas runs later it would be better.

Lance Storm - What time are you planning on getting to Dublin at?

"Turnstiles will open at 5.00pm.

The first act WOW are appearing on stage at 6.00pm followed by Wonderland at 6.25pm. Jedward are due out on stage at 6.50pm, JLS are due on at 7.30pm and finally, the main act Westlife will be appearing at 8.30pm."

to b honest i'll be leaving waterford about 2, to get there for 5 at the latest, grab something to eat in town, n then head to croke park about 6ish, dont mind missing the first few acts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

free car ppark at Whitehall church. Straight onto/off M1/M50.Couple of quid to and from Croker by Taxi. Only thing is it may not be the safest place in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Polynomial

Red Cow Park & Ride + Luas to Abbey Street has got to be the best option, given that you're coming from Wexford. There are machines at Red Cow to pay for the parking (cheap) and the tram ticket. The trip into Abbey Street could take 40 minutes. Enjoy.

Thank you so much for all your help guys!!!! Fingers crossed I won't make too many wrong turns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Park at the Skylon hotel in Drumcondra and get the bus down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I'd go for the park and ride option at the red cow. It takes more than 10mins though...about 20 I'd say. You get Luas tickets at every stop. Stress free this way, I wouldn't like to be driving around Dublin on a busy weekend if it was my first time driving in the city. Plus you will get a parking spot no problem.

I think there is a festival on on the quays this weekend too. More traffic. Enjoy.

Advertisement