Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neo Geo Pocket - recommendations?

• 03-06-2010 12:54pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Picked up a cheap second hand Neo Geo pocket (colour) in Super Potato in Akihabra last summer, but alas due to funding / lack of Japanese language skills I was only able to pick up one game, Puzzle Bobble. I've finally sorted out an issue with my PayPal account, so thinking of ordering a few more games for it. Any particular highlights worth considering? I'm thinking one of the Metal Slug games anyway. Also, anyone know what the region status with the console is? I'm assuming region free?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's region free. Faselei is supposedly a great SRPG and as we all know SRPGs work great on handhleds. However the big must have game for the system is SNK vs. Capcom: Card Figthers Clash. Heard nothing but good things about how amazing it is. I'll check my videogames hardware handbook when I get home and post up the games that they recommend as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm fairly sure there's a release of The Last Blade on the NeoGeo Pocket. I haven't played it, but if it's even a fraction as good as the arcade/AES version then it would certainly be one worth picking up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's region free. Faselei is supposedly a great SRPG and as we all know SRPGs work great on handhleds. However the big must have game for the system is SNK vs. Capcom: Card Figthers Clash. Heard nothing but good things about how amazing it is. I'll check my videogames hardware handbook when I get home and post up the games that they recommend as well.

Cheers! The SNK v Capcom game seems to pop up a lot alright. I was a bit weary when I saw 'Card Fighters', but seems to be available relatively cheaply on ebay - well, minus the box - so might give it a whirl.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Good call o1s1n. I've not played the neo geo pocket fighters but they are all supposed to be superb with Last Blade, King of Fighters and Samurai Showdown supposedly the best to pick up.

Card games seem to put a lot of people of games but I've always found that games with good card fighting engines have been utterly enthralling and addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Picked one up in the states a few months ago, got it with Metal Slug First Mission and King of Fighters R2, both a lot of fun. Was gonna pick up Card Fighters too (was there and reasonably priced), but I was only getting the console for quick pick-up-and-play gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've got one and a fairly good games collection for it,
    Puzzle Bobble, as mentioned, very good
    Turf Masters, surprisingly good fun
    Neo Geo Tennis, same again, a very playable lawn tennis game
    Last Blade, Fantastic little fighting game
    KoF, a bit lost on me as I was never a big fan of the series, but good.
    Samuari Shodown, still great
    Densa De Go, Train simulator, interesting, nice graphics!
    Pacman, standard enough, full screen or scroll, nice Jap packaging
    Sonic the Hedgehog, A really quite good Sonic game
    Metal Slug 1st Mission/2nd Mission, two nice additions to the Metal Slug series, quite hard in parts,
    SNKVsCapcom, a very playable fighter, plus some minigame extras,
    Crush Roller, a kinda Pacman analog, fun

That's most of the games I have for the NeoGeo Pocket Color, not complete by any means, but I think I have most of whats worth having on the system.
    What I don't have, however, is any of the monochrome games made for the NeoGeo Pocket, there may be some crackers in there.

I'll check my videogames hardware handbook when I get home and post up the games that they recommend as well.

Is that the Retrogamer magazine one?

Yep that's the one.

Ah cool, any use? Was considering ordering it

It's basically just a collection of all the hardware articles that retrogamer did so if you have all the magazines then it's not much use. Also there's one massive glaring omission, there's no article on the PS1 although I have the issue where they finally cover that console.

• Advertisement

It's basically just a collection of all the hardware articles that retrogamer did so if you have all the magazines then it's not much use. Also there's one massive glaring omission, there's no article on the PS1 although I have the issue where they finally cover that console.

Ok so, have some significant holes in my RG mag collection, though do have the ps1 article issue. Might pick it up so, cheers

Seems there was no need to look up the hardware handbook since Ciderman pretty much hit all the nails on the head with his list.

Advertisement