Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterilisation

• 03-06-2010 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Is that Milton stuff for kids bottles ok for sterilising bottles and other equipment for home brewing?

Or should I pick up something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I was just asking myself the same question last night. I would think it is okay but best get a definite answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

It was discussed on http://www.jimsbeerkit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2635&start=0 with mixed results. Perhaps something else would be better. Better safe than sorry as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Milton is fine for sterilising but you need to rinse it after you've sterilised your bottles/equipment.

Starsan is a no rinse solution.

If you want to make your own no rinse homemade solution, you can do it with unscented thin bleach (thick bleach sticks so it defeats the purpose) and white vinegar. Add 30ml of each to 20 litres of water. ***VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT MIX THE BLEACH AND VINEGAR TOGETHER*** add them to the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What happens if you mix vinegar and bleach?

A asploshun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Des wrote: »
    What happens if you mix vinegar and bleach?

A asploshun?

No you'll die......Instantly!! ;)

It produces Chlorine Gas, which is not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Milton is just sodium hypochlorite, AKA household bleach. It is weaker than regular bleach. Tesco do a value brand unperfumed thin (unthickened) bleach which is very cheap. Tesco also have a own brand version of milton in the babysection which is much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Des wrote: »
    Is that Milton stuff for kids bottles ok for sterilising bottles and other equipment for home brewing?

Or should I pick up something else?

Its grand for most equipment but do not use on any stainless steel as it can cause pitting of the metal as become as great site for bacteria to hold up.

Iodophor is another general use no rinse solution available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Bought myself a bottle rinser today! Gonna make life alot easier when it comes to bottling my brew!

Advertisement