Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon EF 24-70mm on crop-sensor body?

• 03-06-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

just wondering if people are using a 24-70 as their main lens on a Canon 1.6 crop body and if you find it restrictive at the short (24mm) end? I know a 17-55 is an option but I think 55mm is a bit short. The EF-S 17-55mm has been getting good reviews but seems a bit over-priced for a non-L lens.

Would appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks,
    Noel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I love my 24-70mm lens. I've used it on a 1.3 and 1.6 crop bodies. It's a stunning lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Love the 24-70 on my 40D. It's been my all around lens since I got it. 24 is probably lack of wide but don't feel it too restrictive as I don't shoot much of wide photos. Sharp, tacky and fast auto focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Cool, thanks folks. I'll have to start saving! :) My 17-85 is a nice lens but I could do with f/2.8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

i have a sigma 24-60 mm lense. not the same i know, but still i'm using it on a 1.6 body and for me it is not wide enough at 24mm.

i dont know where you're based but if you're around the city centre i could give you a lend of it for a few days to see how it suits you.

i have a sigma 24-60 mm lense. not the same i know, but still i'm using it on a 1.6 body and for me it is not wide enough at 24mm.

i dont know where you're based but if you're around the city centre i could give you a lend of it for a few days to see how it suits you.

Thanks very much Wersal, very kind of you to offer but I live in South Kildare.

What I'm thinking is that I have a 70-200 and a 24-70 would go nicely with that and I'd just need a 10-24 for landscape then. I just think a 17-55 or 18-50 would be too short for a lot of indoor shots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've the 24-70L stuck on my 7D most of the time. Sure it's not terribly wide on a crop but it's a fecking great lens. Its big, heavy, bulky and I love it.

Try to restrict yourself to >24mm on your current lens for a bit. If you find it lacking for width you'll get an idea of what you'll be missing. Also the minimum focus distance is slightly longer on the 24-70. (0.38m vs 0.35m)

Give Ian Kerr (Kerso) a shout Noel when you do buy, Noel. Think I paid around €850.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I'm using this lens on a 1.6x body.

Wouldn't part with it for anything. Sharp, fast, solid. Expensive lens but worth it in terms of image and build quality.

As for your list of lenses, think you've got a good plan to cover the majority of focal lengths needed for a good variety of shooting. So I guess its a case of save, save and save :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

5uspect wrote: »
    I've the 24-70L stuck on my 7D most of the time. Sure it's not terribly wide on a crop but it's a fecking great lens. Its big, heavy, bulky and I love it.

Try to restrict yourself to >24mm on your current lens for a bit. If you find it lacking for width you'll get an idea of what you'll be missing. Also the minimum focus distance is slightly longer on the 24-70. (0.38m vs 0.35m)

Give Ian Kerr (Kerso) a shout Noel when you do buy, Noel. Think I paid around €850.

Up around €1100 now I'm afraid :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

If it does not break your neck, you will love the lens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JuliePhotoArt

I've been using it for over a year now and really happy with it.
    Oh and I have 40D same as MartMax :)

I highly recommend this lens, it's well worth the price!

• Advertisement

Thanks. Who's Ian Kerr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

kelly1 wrote: »
    Thanks. Who's Ian Kerr?

He runs this camera shop on ebay:
    http://stores.shop.ebay.ie/FLASH-CAMERA__W0QQ_armrsZ1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

daycent wrote: »
    Up around €1100 now I'm afraid :eek:

Bugger, that should have been £850 GBP. :o

Sorry should have linked to Ian.
    Deal with him outside ebay as you avoid the ever increasing ebay charges.
    Ian is highly reputable and highly regarded.

duffman85 wrote: »

Thanks, price looks very good, £959, which is the best I've come across. I normally deal with camerabox.co.uk and they're selling the same for £999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

The hood makes it looks hugely bigger and heavy but I always leave it on the lens to take the abuse, great to protect the lens body. It does work as a chick magnet too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello folks,

just wondering if people are using a 24-70 as their main lens on a Canon 1.6 crop body and if you find it restrictive at the short (24mm) end? I know a 17-55 is an option but I think 55mm is a bit short. The EF-S 17-55mm has been getting good reviews but seems a bit over-priced for a non-L lens.

Would appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks,
    Noel.

I have the 24-70 f2.8 L on my 5d and had it on my 400d before.

Excellent lens, and the 24mm on the 1.6crop is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

Bugger, that should have been £850 GBP. :o

Sorry should have linked to Ian.
    Deal with him outside ebay as you avoid the ever increasing ebay charges.
    Ian is highly reputable and highly regarded.

+1 for Ian Kerr.A gentleman and a top seller....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

He's rockin them for 1080 with postage to ireland now, thats pretty damn good money for a new one of these lenses!

I can kind of afford it but I'd prefer to sell my 50mm sigma and 28-75 tamron first as I obviously wont be needing much in that focal range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Same as the monkey - had it with my 400D, now on the 5D - works fine on either!

Don't forget that lenses (especially L stuff) will last, and long outlast the bodies. If you upgrade to full frame in the future, you'll only spend more money replacing lenses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Here is my two cents worth, as i shoot a lot of wide shots i kitted my 7D with an EF-S 15-85mm and am thrilled with it. I know it is not in the same league as L but in my opinion its not far off in terms of build and optic quality. I considered the EF 24-70 at the time but unfortunately budget was too restricting, also if i ever go for full frame i will most likely keep the 7D as a back up body and the 15-85 will compliment it beautifully.

• Advertisement

This was taken with 5D / 24-70 combo

f/9, 32mm, ISO100, 1/50th
    c8d1faa9e71348cc9e6a300d865ea080.jpg

f/9, 55mm, ISO 100, 1/80th
    46dbe829431e4f5d8f9b6b27eb264de8.jpg

and IIRC both are crops too...

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I'm gonna grab one from tha ebay shop. Do you think i can mail him and ask what his best price would be outside of eBay let's say. Also what's the chances of getting a bad copy from him?

You don't really get bad L lenses...

And considering probably half of this forum is using stuff bought from Ian, you don't need to worry.

Advertisement