Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute Rathmines to Dublin Airport

Options
  • 03-06-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how long a daily commute, car, from Rathmines to Dublin Airport would be. Between the hours of 0730-0830 and 1730 - 1830. What would be the best route?

Thanks,

Jumpa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

My first instinct would be to use the aircoach.

Allow at least 30 or 40 minutes travel time from town.

There is one that goes from the southside (ucd i think) and another from busaras (behind the customs house on the liffey), they go up the motorway and through the port tunnel to the airport.

http://www.irishbuses.com/AirlinkDublinAirport.html

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/Airport-Services/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

You'd be better off getting a Dublin Bus into Dawson St. Routes: 14,14a,15,15a,15b,74,74a,128 & 142 all go from Rathmines to Dawson St. Takes about 15min max. You can then get the Aircoach from Dawson St to Airport takes about 40-50 mins.

If you use the car you'd prob be best off going up through Christchurch straight on past the four courts and out onto North King St and then up dorset st, drumcondra etc prob take about 1hr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Rather than paying twice using Aircoach, get the 14/14a to Upper O'Connell Street (or the 15/a/b, 65/b to Fleet Street or the 128 to Eden Quay) and then a 747/748 Airlink service to the Airport from Upper O'Connell Street.

Use a Dublin Bus rambler ticket and it can work out at EUR 3.33 per day if you buy a 30 day rambler ticket for EUR 100 - note that the 30 days are non-consecutive. The tickets are valid on the 747/748 Airlink.

Time taken about 40/45 minutes between the two buses.

Driving time would be fairly similar given the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Rathmines to Omni Park shopping centre is 30 mins on a bicycle ( moderately fit), about 10 more to Airport. No parking fees, no searching for parking and guaranteed the same time every day no matter how bad the traffic is. After the city centre its usually clear the whole way out. Might not be suitable every day because of the weather but its the most efficent in terms of time keeping and the cheapest by a long shot. Going home is even quicker as its downhill through Santry-Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

The 16a goes from harolds cross also. I would guess it would take the best part of an hour though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

bijapos wrote: »
    Rathmines to Omni Park shopping centre is 30 mins on a bicycle ( moderately fit), about 10 more to Airport. No parking fees, no searching for parking and guaranteed the same time every day no matter how bad the traffic is. After the city centre its usually clear the whole way out. Might not be suitable every day because of the weather but its the most efficent in terms of time keeping and the cheapest by a long shot. Going home is even quicker as its downhill through Santry-Drumcondra.

Some good points there.

10 minutes to the airport from the omni centre seemed a little fast to me so I did a bit of maths for the craic..

According to google earth the distance is 4.5 km (7 mins driving), which makes that speed 27 kmph (17 mph), the top speed of a moped I once had. If you can cycle from rathmines to omni, then cycle to the airport at 17 mph and still be able to do a day's work, then fair play to ya, just don't stand beside me.

You should give yourself way more time than 40 minutes if your cycling, especially on the first day until you get used to it (You'll need a rainproof jacket and some other cycling gear). I would suggest motor transport as its a long journey, but cycling is a good alternative and a very good workout also.

Incidentally, the total distance from the Stella Cinema, Rathmines to the Airport (from google earth) is 14.8 km. Google suggests that the drive would take 23 minutes, presumably on a sunday morning. That works out as driving at an average speed of around 38.6 kmph (24mph).

I reckon I could sustain an average cycling speed of around 15 kmph, so it would take me about an hour to cycle from rathmines to the airport without any wind, hills, traffic lights or resting.

Expect lots of traffic to pick through heading into town, including pedestrians and a few red traffic lights. Once you're past town, the roads will be relatively clear.

Allowing for those long hills, whatever the weather throws at you, locking your bike and navigating into the airport itself, I would suggest adding another 30 mins.

Anyway, if it were me (less than fit but cycle fast) I would have to allow up to 2 hours to cover the whole distance by bicycle without expiring, and have enough time for a freshen up and a jumbo breakfast roll before work.
    I'd probably still need an ambulance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Thanks all. Cyclying is not an option. I dont think the aircoach is an option either, as I dont work at the terminal and it doesnt stop along the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

I've taken the 16A from the bottom of Harold's Cross to the airport. It took me an hour twenty with moderate (but not rush hour) traffic.

Advertisement