Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avram Grant Appointed West Ham boss

• 03-06-2010 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Started this thread 'cause i was a bit surprised to see there wasn't a thread already.
    Well it's no surprise anyway that West Ham have named Avram Grant as their manager subject to a work permit,it's dragged on a bit.
    But anyway what do people make of this & how do you think he will get on?
    Personally I'm happy with him....I'm not expecting a miracle but I'd hope for a 7th/8th place finish next season.

Here's the story off SSN for those who haven't read it : http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11685_6188813,00.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm not expecting a miracle but I'd hope for a 7th/8th place finish next season.

That would be a miracle.

WHU are not better than Liverpool, Everton or Birmingham.

Also, there is the added stupidity of the owners, who are only slightly better in the idiocy states that the Liverpool circus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

A lot will depend on what the owners do in terms of backing him in the transfer market which is anyone's guess.

Wonder will any of the Pompey lads follow him?

Hard to figure how West Ham will do next season until we see what the squad looks like.

Can't see West Ham getting anywhere near 7th/8th place next season unless a shedload of transfer cash is available. This is a rebuilding/restructuring season so anything above 15th with decent progress made would have to be a posititve step forward. I would imagine that with Newcastle and West Brom, to a lesser extent, coming up the relegation battle will be pretty sticky so if West Ham perform like last season I could see them going down. I would say sorting out the defence is key as last season it was pretty chronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Des wrote: »

WHU are not better than Liverpool, Everton or Birmingham.

Hopefully with a few new faces and a decent manager we'll get up to Birmingham's level.
    Ever since about week 7 of this season just past i couldn't wait for the season to end so we could get a fresh start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hopefully with a few new faces and a decent manager we'll get up to Birmingham's level.
    Ever since about week 7 of this season just past i couldn't wait for the season to end so we could get a fresh start.

It's more probably that West Ham will go down than finish in the top half of the table, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

good appointment.

i like Avram, and i'm not even sure why.

a top half finish next season would be an admirable achievement, and a huge step forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Although Gold and Sullivan are two lairy SOBs, I was delighted when they took over the club. They provided a sensible, and conservative alternative takeover to the ones which have put so many EPL clubs at risk, and have been the virtual death knell of others.

The appointment of Grant is consistent with this conservativism, and I cant help but be delighted ! This type of stability could only have been dreamed over the past 2 years. Curbishley left when he was marginalised, and was replaced by the cheapest possible replacement. Zola never looked comfortable in his skin, and in spite of him being the most popular man in the league, it will not be enough to win games.

With some money available, and a sound manager in suite, I think West Ham will be able to look at this season with some optimism, and if a few nice signings come our way, then I would hope for a nice comfortable season, without the possibility of relegation !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Het-Field wrote: »
    Although Gold and Sullivan are two lairy SOBs, I was delighted when they took over the club. They provided a sensible, and conservative alternative takeover to the ones which have put so many EPL clubs at risk, and have been the virtual death knell of others.

The appointment of Grant is consistent with this conservativism, and I cant help but be delighted ! This type of stability could only have been dreamed over the past 2 years. Curbishley left when he was marginalised, and was replaced by the cheapest possible replacement. Zola never looked comfortable in his skin, and in spite of him being the most popular man in the league, it will not be enough to win games.

With some money available, and a sound manager in suite, I think West Ham will be able to look at this season with some optimism, and if a few nice signings come our way, then I would hope for a nice comfortable season, without the possibility of relegation !

Very well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Great appointment for West Ham - I've a lot of time for Avram Grant & was glad to see him back in the Premiership, even though he was dragged in too late to steady an already sunken ship.

Best of luck to him & the club.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Class appointment in my opinion, West Ham will come mid-table if they get in a few new faces and keep all their good players. (Parker, Cole, Green, Behrami etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

I always liked Avram Grant despite my hatred towards Chelsea I was kinda rooting for him when he was there. And he did a good job at Pompey too. I like his dry humour and mafia-esque looks! Think West Ham have the potential to solidify their position in the Prem. As long as the two in charge don't interfere too much. I'd be more weary of them than the team/manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I like Avram Grant and will be rooting for him next season. The way the media and the Chelsea fans treated him during his time at Chelsea was a disgrace. He was treated like dirt simply because he wasn't Jose Mourinho.

Advertisement