Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Fighting game committee DISCUSSION

Options
  • 02-06-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

My vote is not to have a committee but to have a representative of each field of expertise.

These are just examples, except for the last one, that is true.

PPC and Jim = Website
    Orim = Editor and lead writer for Streetfighter.ie
    Azza = Tournament Scheduler
    Sisko = Visual Media and Match Recording
    Monkeyto = Social Media Management
    Chunkis = PR
    Farz = Design (flyers, tourney banners etc)
    Animax = General of the Douche-bag Brigade

The list could go on and on. Each position would have another person to cover should they be unable to come to a tournament or be sick/out of the country. This way everyone has something to do and then no one person calls the shots. Conversation all for one and one for all etc. Of course everything is voluntary and if a dude doesnt want to do it anymore someone else steps in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Monkeyto wrote: »
    My vote is not to have a committee but to have a representative of each field of expertise.

PPC and Jim = Website
    Chunkis = PR

The list could go on and on. Each position would have another person to cover should they be unable to come to a tournament or be sick/out of the country. This way everyone has something to do and then no one person calls the shots. Conversation all for one and one for all etc. Of course everything is voluntary and if a dude doesnt want to do it anymore someone else steps in.

Now your talking!

whats pr mean? whatever it is i like it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Monkeyto wrote: »

PPC and Jim = Website
    Chunkis = PR

That's something I was thinking off in the original thread alright. The format I mean. That's actually what I thought was being talked about when the committee idea 1st came about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Good idea monkeyTo, you can be in charge of people who go awol for about a year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Well it's easy, you get like two guys to cover each position. It's not a job role but for the guys who want to develop in that area of expertise. For example, I have a camera and so does about 3 other guys, one of us becomes photographer for events, if he can make it I jump in.

Cover system if you will.

I totally see what your saying alright as its what I was thinking about , like no one person having everything on their shoulders eg in the hypothetical scenario that something like this did go down I deffo wouldnt be the only one on the 'Visual Media and Match Recording' Role - Doom would deffo be there too and Terry's been really helpful to me in this area also.

I would even be looking at farz for tips on the design elements of the visials in the video editing. etc. Criss crossed roles, like Orim and chopper helping Azza on the tourney side of things I help out a little on the site etc etc etc

Keeping true to how this is all a community thing.

Its an idea I'd be more in favor of anyway but I think we're in the minorty - I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Ok then, I vote against this whole idea.

(We need to have proper face to face discussions on sat, and somewhere we can hear each other, not bull+castle)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ok then, I vote against this whole idea.

(We need to have proper face to face discussions on sat, and somewhere we can hear each other, not bull+castle)

And then when's the deadline for this whole dramatic farce? Keeping the deadline to Inferno is a better idea imo, and also having votes here includes the voices of those who can't make it on Saturday. We've had a month or more to discuss this already.

Now that we can talk about this, what are other peoples thoughts on this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

The idea of people having specificn roles/jobs was shot down repeatedly in the previous discussion.

True but that was regarding this type of stuff :
    1) Chairperson
    2) Treasurer
    3) Secretary
    4) PRO
    5) Event Officer
    Rather then the more casual, what we're generally already doing type thing anto touched on.

• Advertisement

No it was about any job titles.
    Jim wrote: »
    If the purpose of the committee is to give people responsibilities so that more will get done, I don't really see that happening. The way things have worked so far is someone takes it upon themselves to do something, I don't see how giving people titles will get more done. The website for example. PPC asked a bunch of people if they'd be interested in doing something with the site, I said sure. Then did nothing for months until I got off my ass one day and started it. If PPC had said originally "Who wants to be the official society website guy?" I would have said no way. Although I am more than happy to do the site now. Having that "title" would make people expect something of me, I don't really want that heh.

Ah yeah jims post. Well I suppose what I'm liking more is the more larger body of representatives that encompasses those already trying to dedicate more to the community then just playing the game rather then a smaller exclusive body.

Hehe I'm amused its just us two talking about this stuff again :p

It wasn't just Jims post, there was many others.

Basically what you're saying, is that you don't want the change at all because a large group defeats the purpose of trying to get any organisation together at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Surely i should be able to vote against this. This is siskos default position as i see it too.

The whole vote is a farce, its unclear what is being voted on or the electoral system, or the seats or the deadline...........

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I moved you rpost as part of the latest spurt of ot posting. If you want to repost a no vote goi ahead but do me a favour and don't start talking about something there thats going to kick off a discussion.

It's funny how people want proper roles and seats etc when the main feeling in the other thread was people are getting too complicated and self important with the whole thing imo. *Shrugs*

Anyway I am staying out of the actual discussion I think until this is sorted. It's proving hard enough just to manage it :)

The vote is for the members of a "committee" as laid out in this thread

The reason and function for the committee was taken from this thread. There was no vote but there was a discussion in which interested parties could put put in their two cents. This seems like a better way of doing something important like this rather then leaving it to a poll/vote.

That's my take on the matter anyway.

Orim wrote: »
    It wasn't just Jims post, there was many others.

Basically what you're saying, is that you don't want the change at all because a large group defeats the purpose of trying to get any organisation together at all.

Not necessarily and also , this is just to talk about alternate ideas and get some discussion going, not just a talk about monkeytos idea.

There's also just having it not so much as a committee but just a named 'go to guys' being the official 'event organisers/community reps' which would be kinda meeting in the middle so that the large event stuff and communication stuff to outside of the scene be handled by 3-4 guys while keeping all the important community talk like funds and venues still fully open and clear on the forums.

Sisko wrote: »

There's also just having it not so much as a committee but just a named 'go to guys' being the official 'event organisers/community reps' which would be kinda meeting in the middle so that the large event stuff and communication stuff to outside of the scene be handled by 3-4 guys while keeping all the important community talk like funds and venues still fully open and clear on the forums.

Dude, that's exactly what the committee idea is.

No as its just tournament organisation and a representatives being talked about here, not a group of 5 talking about all the details that used to be talked about amongst themselves 1st then bringing it forth to the community.

With it this way instead, stuff like venues and funds are still talked about on the forums as per usual.

Its a balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Not sure if dragging this up is frowned upon. I was going to post in this thread but wanted to keep it clean.

First of all I'd like to apologise for being almost 100% afk for the last 2 weeks. I was away for the weekend when this whole thing "went down" and had a lot of other stuff going on since then. In addition I really didn't have the energy to properly deal with it all and was worried I didn't have the right frame of mind to express my opinion correctly. Special thanks to Orim for taking care of site stuff while I was gone (as well as a lot of other stuff).

Anyway.....I wont bother going into too much of a detailed post as it has been discussed to death. My views on the committee subject were made clear in the previous discussion about it, however if a committee (whatever form it may take) is to be formed I will fully support it (if I'm on the committee or not). I would personally prefer the structure Monkeyto touched on above.

I would be happy to be part of the committee if people want me to be. I care a lot about the community and have a lot invested in it personally, however I will say beware as I am notoriously unreliable at times.

I think that's all I have to say for now. I plan to get back into developing the site regardless if I'm on the committee or not, although I have said this before in the past (see above for mention of being unreliable).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/....=1

No idea where to post this but I suppose it will be a comittee decision whether to buy them or not :rolleyes:

Sagat06 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/....=1

No idea where to post this but I suppose it will be a comittee decision whether to buy them or not :rolleyes:

I'll buy half a dozen of them of my own bat if I have to. Hopefully it's all HMVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

But OHSHI- it's Madcatz! ;)

Advertisement