Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Organising Marathons

• 03-06-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭

"Just a general query for boardsies that have had involvement in organising marathons. Have the kernel of a little "dream" of one day organising a marathon of my own. A reasonably sized rural-based affair - nothing on the scale of Limerick or Cork or the like.

How does one "go about" it?
    How does a marathon get "officially recogised"?
    What type of management structure would you need to put in place?

I know that the number of people involved in organisation has to be in proportion with the numbers involved - I could potentially tap into a fairly big circle of people who would be willing to volunteer for such tasks. "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

The Hammer wrote: »
    "Just a general query for boardsies that have had involvement in organising marathons. Have the kernel of a little "dream" of one day organising a marathon of my own. A reasonably sized rural-based affair - nothing on the scale of Limerick or Cork or the like.

I know that the number of people involved in organisation has to be in proportion with the numbers involved - I could potentially tap into a fairly big circle of people who would be willing to volunteer for such tasks. "

The first thing you need to do is get it measured accurately by a certified course measurer, they do this using a Jones Counter. You can probably get a list of them from AAI. Choose the course carefully, runners like to have spectators about and not to be running for miles without any encouragement. Also, try and avoid any potantial obstacles like humpback bridges, traffic bottlenecks, too many up & down footpaths etc. Make sure that the finish & start areas are wide enough to accomadate the numbers.

You will then need to pull a permit from the same AAI. Before you get this, as well as the course measurement cert, you will need a 'race plan' outlining your stewards, water stations, prize structure, medical, insurance etc. The template for this can be got from your local county board.
    Make sure when choosing you date that it does not clash with any other marathons. While you may still get a permit if it is not within 50mls or the other race, your numbers will be greatly affected as potential participants will probably opt for the more established event. Remember it takes months to train for a marathon so people will need lots of notice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

...or if you're in it for the purposes of making money, just pick a route that is somewhere in the general range of 24-28 miles, call it a "fun run" so the distance doesn't really matter. Then approach a charity so you can use their name, making an unspecified donation to them, and then promote the race as being in the aid of this charity. You can then charge whatever you like and just sit back and watch the cash rolling in. No need for faffing around with the authorities responsible for organising athletics in this country.

;)

Of course, not all privately run races are done in this way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Just make sure its 26.2miles not 26.3miles. Otherwise the URI will get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Thanks Speedy44 for the very detailed explanation of how to go about organising a race. Doesn’t seem like something that you do without proper planning and proper time.

Peckham: my reason for thinking of organising a race is NOT to make money, I live in a fairly rural area of Ireland and because of my love of running I would love to see a race in my area. Just a small thing not even 100 people in it. I’m not looking at a Connemara idea just a marathon in the countryside.
    Tunney: I have a feeling with all the post on about the URI on Boards that there is more to that comment. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have a look at Condo131's very detailed post/check-list concerning the organization of road races. A lot of it should be applicable to organizing a marathon. Link here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

How about starting with a 10km race and build from there, you'll learn the process along the way.

that's not a bad idea of organizing a smaller race and you will learn a lot of the organization of a race.

How come you go to some races and there is like 6 people Organizing the thing? is this not a proper legal race, or am i opening a minefield by asking that question :confused:

Condo131 list is very detailed and ive printed that off and going to start drawing up some plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Wouldn't it be a good first step to talk to your county board? You'll probably be able to find people who have experience in running races, who may also be interested in organising a marathon in your area, who will have contacts in the gardai, know a certified course measurer, etc, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

How come you go to some races and there is like 6 people Organizing the thing? is this not a proper legal race, or am i opening a minefield by asking that question :confused:
    Not sure I understand the question.

just wondering how some races can be allowed to run as there would be very little organization, marshals, medical staff on hand during or after the race. this is thinking of some of the races i have attended in years gone by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

tunney wrote: »
    Just make sure its 26.2miles not 26.3miles. Otherwise the URI will get involved.
    26.21875:D
    Surely there's some sort of calculator organisation to approve this sort of thing - oh sh1t, can you use the Windows calculator, or is it abacus only?

OP, best of luck organising your race. The more choice the better as far as I'm concerned.

Advertisement