Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DOMESTIC WIND TURBINES

• 03-06-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I would love a domestic one.I heard the SEI are to be given grants for them next year.
    Hope there small.Anyone have any info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

cathy01 wrote: »
    I would love a domestic one.I heard the SEI are to be given grants for them next year.
    Hope there small.Anyone have any info?

As far as i know, at the moment they are very cost restrictive and the more economical ones pricewise are only used to heat the element in your copper tank..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

snyper wrote: »
    As far as i know, at the moment they are very cost restrictive and the more economical ones pricewise are only used to heat the element in your copper tank..

Actually I would argue the exact opposite, using the power generated from a turbine to heat water is wasteful, it's worth more just sold back to the grid.

Generally a small domestic turbine will fall into the sub €20k bracket, most have a payback period of over 10 years (despite what some snake oil salesmen will tell you).
    All turbines depend on the site's wind throughput for their performance so if your site is low to mid speed then a trubine will struggle to justify itself, if you have a high windspeed site you'd be foolish not to have one as it could make a significant return on investment for it's owner.

The SEI do not offer any grants for wind turbines (shame), the main incentive is the 19c unit tarriff offered on production sold back to the grid.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

To avoid being ripped-off get the harvest AND the amortisation guaranteed. No written guarantee- no buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

bladespin wrote: »
    Actually I would argue the exact opposite, using the power generated from a turbine to heat water is wasteful, it's worth more just sold back to the grid.

Generally a small domestic turbine will fall into the sub €20k bracket, most have a payback period of over 10 years (despite what some snake oil salesmen will tell you).
    All turbines depend on the site's wind throughput for their performance so if your site is low to mid speed then a trubine will struggle to justify itself, if you have a high windspeed site you'd be foolish not to have one as it could make a significant return on investment for it's owner.

The SEI do not offer any grants for wind turbines (shame), the main incentive is the 19c unit tarriff offered on production sold back to the grid.

i said cost restrictive and you say 20k. Most people dont have 20k.

Anthow, how it works in countries like holland is that you pay more for electricity and get dam all for the electricity you send out so, tbh its still not worth it in my eyes...yet

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

heinbloed wrote: »
    To avoid being ripped-off get the harvest AND the amortisation guaranteed. No written guarantee- no buy.

I'd have to argue this point as I don't know how any supplier could guarantee the weather... An open an honest discussion on average wind speeds and turbine output all clearly explained in lay-mans language would be more beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

well,Im beside the sea, and up in a height so Id be hopefull or generating enought electricty to run my home.?Might be wishful thinking!!Thanks for the feedback,Cathy

snyper wrote: »
    i said cost restrictive and you say 20k. Most people dont have 20k.

Anthow, how it works in countries like holland is that you pay more for electricity and get dam all for the electricity you send out so, tbh its still not worth it in my eyes...yet

I said sub €20k, AFIK small turbine prices range from about €800 for a reasonable 1kw unit to €50k for a top of the range 15kw monster.

A 2.5-3kw machine should come in around €10-14k, that would zero the average bill on a medium to good site (the site is everything), so they definately make sense.
    Here you pay 16.5c per unit and get paid 19c for each unit you sell back to the ESB subject to their terms (they're quite reasonable).

well,Im beside the sea, and up in a height so Id be hopefull or generating enought electricty to run my home.?Might be wishful thinking!!Thanks for the feedback,Cathy

Sounds like you could have a good site, are there any obstacles in the direction of the prevailing winds?

How much electricity do you use on average? Consumption can vary dramatically from house to house but an average is around 5500 units per year.

On a open site with an average annual windspeed of 6m.sec you should clear that with a 3kw turbine.

Thanks, my local place said there is a plan for the esi to give a grant next year.
    My electricy bill would increase if I get the new ele rads , not storage heaters, the ones from SUKA.They look good, thanks again for the advice.:D
    Cathy

Thanks, my local place said there is a plan for the esi to give a grant next year.
    My electricy bill would increase if I get the new ele rads , not storage heaters, the ones from SUKA.They look good, thanks again for the advice.:D
    Cathy

Hi Cathy, I'd contact SEI first, I've heard nothing of a proposed grant (though it would be welcome), it hasn't been mentioned to manufacturers so I'd question the accruracy of your local supplier's info.

have a look at this site.I was going to get the rads but seen this.

http://www.sukaelectroheating.co.uk/pages/wind-power.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

If youre looking to link some electric heating rads to the turbine I know of one company who sell a marble heater who have done at least one similar project that I know of. PM sent.

Thanks,Ill have a read,cathy

<SNIP>

Most site reports cost around €200 so it's not that much cheaper, TBH power predictors aren't much use, they give a very basic idea, average windspeeds on a site can vary by up to 20% year on year. That site seems quite expensive, nromally about €140 plus vat.
    You'd need to run it for at least 3 yeras to gather the data most professionals use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

Don't be fooled by these. 1kw of electricity gives 1KW of heat in any electric heater. These are semi storage heaters with a ceramic heat sink inside. As was mentioned it is more economical to sell surplus electricity to the grid at the moment than to use it for heating at daytime tariffs. If you want to use your own electrical power for heating, you can use a thermal store; a hot water buffer tank connected to radiators to store more heat than these heaters can.
    I have seen these installed in a house with neither a wind turbine nor a night rate meter. The owner originally thought from the marketing info they would be more efficient than ordinary electric heaters, but has been plagued with astronomical ESB bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

......and get paid 19c for each unit you sell back to the ESB subject to their terms....
    I think you'll find that is 9c per unit.

I think you'll find that is 9c per unit.

Actually it is 19c per unit (limited to 3000units).

That's 9c standard wholesale frice plus a 10 bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

A 2.5-3kw machine should come in around €10-14k, that would zero the average bill on a medium to good site (the site is everything), so they definately make sense.
    Here you pay 16.5c per unit and get paid 19c for each unit you sell back to the ESB subject to their terms (they're quite reasonable).

2.5 to 3Kw would just about run a kettle.

Assuming a reasonably high load factor of 30% a 3kw turbine would generate about €1,497 in income per annum (based on 19 cents). Or a 9 year payback

a more realistic 15% load factor would generate €748 in income (again based on 19 cents) or an 18 year payback.

The other downside (and its a biggie) is that the more that are connected the the grid the more expensive everyone's electricity will become. Lets face it someone has to pay.

Domestic windturbines are currently a mugs game.

knipex wrote: »
    2.5 to 3Kw would just about run a kettle.

Assuming a reasonably high load factor of 30% a 3kw turbine would generate about €1,497 in income per annum (based on 19 cents). Or a 9 year payback

a more realistic 15% load factor would generate €748 in income (again based on 19 cents) or an 18 year payback.

The other downside (and its a biggie) is that the more that are connected the the grid the more expensive everyone's electricity will become. Lets face it someone has to pay.

Domestic windturbines are currently a mugs game.

You really don't understand how they work at all.

A 3 kw turbine will power an average household (5500 units per year) once it's on a suitable site.

A kettle uses about 2kw per hour how long do you leave your kettle on the boil continuously?

Turbines work by generating power whenever they can, any power you can use while it's doing so will reduce the amount you're buying from the grid. The turbine will still turn when you're not using any electricity, while you're at work or asleep, this is sold to the ESB and is credited to your account.

What are you calculating your payback periods on? You don't make mention of a purchase price so how it it possible to determine the time it would take to pay for itself???

All turbines will actually reduce electricity costs for us all, ever heard of carbon taxes or peak oil??? ESB prices are only going to rise in the long term.

<SNIP>Mod Edit: Please be civil.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with regards to the maintenance and upkeep of a domestic wind turbine unit? I understand this can be prohibitive (one semi state organisation I know got rid of all their wind turbines in favour of solar panels for this reason). Can parts be easily sourced and can the labour be done by the individual?

Dyflin wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear from anyone with regards to the maintenance and upkeep of a domestic wind turbine unit? I understand this can be prohibitive (one semi state organisation I know got rid of all their wind turbines in favour of solar panels for this reason). Can parts be easily sourced and can the labour be done by the individual?

Some domestic turbines need to be services every year, some every 5 years and some are pretty much maintenance free (baring visual inspection by the owner).

In general parts are cheap and widely available from electrical factors and hardware suppliers. The majority of maintenance work involves lubricating moving parts and checking cables and connections.

If you're mechanically competant you can do it, I do.

• Advertisement

....a 9 year payback
    ....or an 18 year payback.
    Please expand on how you arrived at this time frame.

You really don't understand how they work at all.

A 3 kw turbine will power an average household (5500 units per year) once it's on a suitable site.

A kettle uses about 2kw per hour how long do you leave your kettle on the boil continuously?

Turbines work by generating power whenever they can, any power you can use while it's doing so will reduce the amount you're buying from the grid. The turbine will still turn when you're not using any electricity, while you're at work or asleep, this is sold to the ESB and is credited to your account.

I think you will find that I under stand turbines quite well.

Power is measured in KW
    Energy is measured in KW hours. or Kw\h

A continuous power draw of 1Kw for one hour is 1Kw hour.

The instantaneous power usage of a Kettle varies depending on brand from 1.5kw to 3Kw. The vast majority of those currently sold are around 3Kw. So an electric kettle will draw 3kw but assumign its only on for 5 minutes will only use 0.25 units (or Kw hours) of electricity.

The difference between power an energy is key to any discussion of any kind on electricity.

An modern electric shower will use approx 9kw
    A toaster about 3kw
    A microwave about 1.5Kw
    Fridge freezer 2 to 3Kw (under load but these are intermittent draws)
    A tumble drier about 2 to 3Kw.

(the limit of 3Kw is because this is the max load that can be connected to a standard 13 amp plug.)

To demand on a modern house can vary from a couple of hundred watts to 17Kw at any time.

A 3Kw turbine is capable of generating an output of 3Kw under ideal conditions. So if you have a kettle on then you are maxing out the capacity of the turbine.

A 3Kw turbine will under ideal conditions be capable of theoretically generating 26,280 units in a year.

Unfortunately conditions are not ideal all the time to wind turbines are subjected to what is known as a load factor. This is a calculated percentage of how much electricity they will actually generate compared to their installed capacity and is expressed as a percentage.

This load factor is dependant on location.

For a commercial 3MW wind turbine in Ireland load factors vary from 20% to 35% with the majority being between 25% and 30%.

For a domestic wind turbine load factors a much lower (due to their lower height and the smaller blades meaning there is a smaller window of wind conditions in which they can operate)

I have seen figures vary from 17% to as low as 8%
    What are you calculating your payback periods on? You don't make mention of a purchase price so how it it possible to determine the time it would take to pay for itself???

All my figures are based on your post which I quoted in my reply

All turbines will actually reduce electricity costs for us all, ever heard of carbon taxes or peak oil??? ESB prices are only going to rise in the long term.

Again I am afraid you are mistaken.

Firstly look at it in its simplest form.

The ESB sells you electricity at a cost of 9 cent including all costs associated with transmission etc.

Yet it buys electricity from you at 19cent and then has the cost associated with transmission etc.

Where do you think that extra 10 cent comes from ? Out of fresh air ?

It comes from ESB revenues which means everyone's ESB bill.

Now in a more detailed level.

Domestic wind turbines (even large ones) will generate 3kw, when the wind is blowing at the correct speed. This is completely intermittent and unpredictable. As a result Eirgrid who have to ensure that demand is met cannot include this wind output when calculating the demand for the day. Similarly Oil, gas and coal station (with the exception of OCGT plants) are not designed to vary output. They can be forced to do so but this takes time and vastly reduces their efficiency so they burn more fuel and generate more C02 per MW generated.

The net result is the the supply side cannot vary output to match the variable output of domestic wind turbines.

So in short domestic wind turbines will have no effect on the amount of fuel used or C02 produced.

Or as I put it in my original post domestic wind turbines are a mugs game.
    Please expand on how you arrived at this time frame.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Bearing in mind my post above.

in short

3MW turbine 24 hours a day 365 days a year = 26280 Kw Hours

Using 30% load factor that's 7884 Kw Hours. x 19 cent = €1,497

Using 15% load factor (which is a high estimate and unlikely to be reached in the majority of locations and certainly not in an urban location) 3,942 Kw hours x 19 cents = €748

Assuming a cost of 14k as quoted by Bladespin then

14,000 / 1497 = 9.35 years

14,000 / 748 = 18.71 years.

Not including maintenance, or any additional costs associated with installation etc.

I hope this clarifies things ?

Again I am afraid you are mistaken.

Firstly look at it in its simplest form.

The ESB sells you electricity at a cost of 9 cent including all costs associated with transmission etc.

Yet it buys electricity from you at 19cent and then has the cost associated with transmission etc.

Where do you think that extra 10 cent comes from ? Out of fresh air ?

It comes from ESB revenues which means everyone's ESB bill.

Where are you buying electricity at 9c per unit from?

Please show me as it would literally half my bills :P the rest of us mere mortals pay around 16.5c per unit, no wonder you think we're mugs.

The 10c is a bonus payment made by the ESB to customers contributing back to the grid, it is limited to the first 3000kw contributed.

The 10c does indeed come from the air and from the sun, renewable sources are being promoted while traditional fuels are costing them more every year, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out they save when their use of oil drops.

At the moment peak time electricity costs a lot more than 19c and it will continue to rise sharply as the economy recovers (hopefully lol).
    Anything that reduced the load on the grid at peak times is helping the ESB to save vast sums of money.

Lastly, you're quite correct about your payback timeframes (I wanted to know what turbine you were basing your figures on - I still would?)

Anyone promising a payback period of less than 10 years is blowing more air than their turbine could handle, a more realistic period for a 3kw machind costing €14k on a 6.5m.sec average site (not very many away form coastal) would be 10-15 years. But then again you will enjoy free electricity for the lifetime of the turbine.

The 10c does indeed come from the air and from the sun, renewable sources are being promoted while traditional fuels are costing them more every year, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out they save when their use of oil drops.

Im sorry. What part did you not understand ?

How exactly do wind turbines save oil ? (ignoring the fact that oil only actually used to generate a small portion of our electricity).

Wind power supply is infinitely variable, domestic wind power even more so.
    The supply side of the equation cannot be adjusted to take into account the variable output from domestic wind. As domestic turbines provide power the supply side from Eirgrid remains static.

No net savings in CO2 or fuel.

At the moment peak time electricity costs a lot more than 19c and it will continue to rise sharply as the economy recovers (hopefully lol).
    Anything that reduced the load on the grid at peak times is helping the ESB to save vast sums of money.

So your confident that your supply from the wind turbine will occur at peak time ? How about 10% of the time ?

based on a load factor of 15 % (which the more I think about it is way too high a figure to use as an average) that means that you will on average produce power for 3.5 hours a day. That could be middle of the night, early morning, evening, anytime.

You cannot depend on it so Eirgrid have to ensure that they source enough power to meet peak demand. If your wind turbine does decide to come on line then again it cannot instantaneously vary output to take account of this extra power.

Anyone promising a payback period of less than 10 years is blowing more air than their turbine could handle, a more realistic period for a 3kw machind costing €14k on a 6.5m.sec average site (not very many away form coastal) would be 10-15 years. But then again you will enjoy free electricity for the lifetime of the turbine.

A payback of 15 years would be the exception rather then the rule and would need to be an excellent site requiring no expensive maintenance.

And free electricity ??? Look around the world, subsidies for wind are being removed, how long do you think the 10 cent bonus will last ?

Once that's gone the payback increases even on a great site to 25 plus years.

So again I repeat.

Domestic wind-turbines are a mugs game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So again I repeat.

That, for the record, is an opinion and not a statement of fact.

Id rather you didn't express that particular opinion here again.

muffler wrote: »
    That, for the record, is an opinion and not a statement of fact.

Id rather you didn't express that particular opinion here again.

I agree, It's an opinion, However it is an opinion supported by facts as outlined above.

I also note that the facts outlined above have not been questioned so why the "issue" with the conclusion ?

I was under the impression that this forum was a place for discussion, for debate and to express opinion ?

At least the other section of boards.ie are.

If this section of the forum is in some way different, then please let me know and I will just leave.

I agree, It's an opinion, However it is an opinion supported by facts as outlined above.

I also note that the facts outlined above have not been questioned so why the "issue" with the conclusion ?

I was under the impression that this forum was a place for discussion, for debate and to express opinion ?

At least the other section of boards.ie are.

If this section of the forum is in some way different, then please let me know and I will just leave.
    I haven't moderated any of your posts nor have I took issue with the apparent "facts" that you have put forward as you are more than welcome to debate and discuss matters here till the cows come home.

However I dont want to see people who use a particular product and dont subscribe to your opinion being referred to as "mugs"

The choice is entirely yours as to whether you find this forum an acceptable place to post in or not.

muffler wrote: »
    I haven't moderated any of your posts nor have I took issue with the apparent "facts" that you have put forward as you are more than welcome to debate and discuss matters here till the cows come home.

However I dont want to see people who use a particular product and dont subscribe to your opinion being referred to as "mugs"

The choice is entirely yours as to whether you find this forum an acceptable place to post in or not.

Now that I understand your concerns I dont think we will have an issue.

Im sorry. What part did you not understand ?

I understood all your post, I'm questioning your credibility.
    How exactly do wind turbines save oil ? (ignoring the fact that oil only actually used to generate a small portion of our electricity).

Wind power supply is infinitely variable, domestic wind power even more so.
    The supply side of the equation cannot be adjusted to take into account the variable output from domestic wind. As domestic turbines provide power the supply side from Eirgrid remains static.

No net savings in CO2 or fuel.
    Every unit of electricity has both an economic and carbon cost, therefore every unit generated from something with a much lower carbon cost has to be saving money both as cash and as Carbon levies saved.
    So your confident that your supply from the wind turbine will occur at peak time ? How about 10% of the time ?

based on a load factor of 15 % (which the more I think about it is way too high a figure to use as an average) that means that you will on average produce power for 3.5 hours a day. That could be middle of the night, early morning, evening, anytime.

You cannot depend on it so Eirgrid have to ensure that they source enough power to meet peak demand. If your wind turbine does decide to come on line then again it cannot instantaneously vary output to take account of this extra power.
    Of course the wind is variable that's why the trade system works well, you buy and sell based on your need. Or you could just buy an outback inverter and a big block of batteries.

A payback of 15 years would be the exception rather then the rule and would need to be an excellent site requiring no expensive maintenance.
    Expensive maintenance, these are domestic turbines, it's not rocket science to maintain them yourself.
    And free electricity ??? Look around the world, subsidies for wind are being removed, how long do you think the 10 cent bonus will last ?

Once that's gone the payback increases even on a great site to 25 plus years.

I really don't know where you're getting your information from but it's way off the mark, I've never been busier shipping inverters all over the world, Germany has exploded thanks to new incentives, so has Spain and the UK, there's muted talk here too, if anything our tarrif will increase to match those countries.
    So again I repeat.

To you maybe but to many they're a sound investment.

• Advertisement

I understood all your post, I'm questioning your credibility.

Feel free but at least I understand the difference between power and energy.
    Every unit of electricity has both an economic and carbon cost, therefore every unit generated from something with a much lower carbon cost has to be saving money both as cash and as Carbon levies saved.

You are assuming that when a unit of energy is generated from a domestic wind farm that it means that a unit of electricity is not generated by a traditional fossil fuel plant.

That is not the case. A traditional coal. oil or gas plant is designed to generate "X" MW of power and does so quite well. They are not designed to vary this output, its a constant output and once produced either used or wasted.

When a domestic wind turbine comes on line generating 3Kw of power moneypoint does not generate 3Kw less. It does not happen like that, it physically cannot happen like that.

What happens is that an extra 3Kw is "dumped" or "wasted".

there is no economic benefit for the ESB OR carbon benefit for anyone.

Of course the wind is variable that's why the trade system works well, you buy and sell based on your need. Or you could just buy an outback inverter and a big block of batteries.

You obviously have no idea how the electricity market works and a limited knowledge of power backup let alone how to integrate the two.

Expensive maintenance, these are domestic turbines, it's not rocket science to maintain them yourself.

I am no expert on the maintenance of domestic turbines but i would ask if you have ever serviced one yourself ?

I really don't know where you're getting your information from but it's way off the mark, I've never been busier shipping inverters all over the world, Germany has exploded thanks to new incentives, so has Spain and the UK, there's muted talk here too, if anything our tariff will increase to match those countries.

Ireland already has one of the highest electricity prices in the world. You want them to go higher ?

Most countries including Germany are reviewing how they subsidise renewables, and in particular wind.

To you maybe but to many they're a sound investment.

Based on what ? Can you please provide any figures to back that up ?

Personally I would not consider a payback of 15 years a sound investment, especially when even that duration is based on a subsidy that could end at any time.

I am no expert on the maintenance of domestic turbines but i would ask if you have ever serviced one yourself ?

Yes, many times, I don't charge though.
    Ireland already has one of the highest electricity prices in the world. You want them to go higher ?

Most countries including Germany are reviewing how they subsidise renewables, and in particular wind.
    Of course I don't wnat the price of power to rise but it will.

They may be reviewing but at the same time they're introducing new and bigger incentives towards renewables.

A 15 year pay-back period would represent a return on investment of about 6.66% per year, not bad considering what you wouls receive from a bank.
    The incentives aren't guaranteed to last forever but the sentiment on all sides is that they will be staying put, there's considerable disappointment at the low rate of uptake for the tarriff so that will most probably actually be increasing in the next few years - that will improve the return again.

Figures - 5500 units per year (as long as the site is suitable that's a fairly conservative estimate on output) = €907 x 15 = €13605 (not taking into account any incentives),more than most 3kw turbines would cost (including maintenance).
    There ya go.

They may be reviewing but at the same time they're introducing new and bigger incentives towards renewables.

Where did you get that from ? Even the Sunday Business post did a story on it yesterday on the loss of subsidies across Europe.
    A 15 year pay-back period would represent a return on investment of about 6.66% per year, not bad considering what you wouls receive from a bank.

A 15 year payback is not realistic. Even best case you are looking at 18 years and the vast majority of sites would be looking at 25+ years.

But putting that aside.

In a Bank getting 1% return you capital is intact so you make a 1% return on top of your capital.

In your case after 15 years you are standing still, you only just made your initial investment back which due to inflation is now worth a faction of what it was initially. You are making a 0% return over 15 years (based on your figures)

Purely as an investment you would be far better off with your money in a Bank. Look at the solidarity bind 50% return over 10 years.
    The incentives aren't guaranteed to last forever but the sentiment on all sides is that they will be staying put, there's considerable disappointment at the low rate of uptake for the tarriff so that will most probably actually be increasing in the next few years - that will improve the return again.

I really really doubt it. It would also fly in the face of what the rest of the world is doing.
    Figures - 5500 units per year (as long as the site is suitable that's a fairly conservative estimate on output) = €907 x 15 = €13605 (not taking into account any incentives),more than most 3kw turbines would cost (including maintenance).
    There ya go.

Where are you getting 5500 units from ?

On a 3Kw turbine that's a 20% load factor. Some large commercial 3MW turbines struggle to achieve this.

Apparently this one achieved a 4% load factor (Data collected over 4 years.)
    http://www.caerdelyn.co.uk/winddata.html

Google the Warwick wind trials. (this was for building mounted turbines)

Even small turbine manufacturers wont quote a figure over 15 to 17% and that's for an ideal location.

Most domestic turbines will struggle to achieve 10% load factors.

Where are you getting your figures from ?

Where did you get that from ? Even the Sunday Business post did a story on it yesterday on the loss of subsidies across Europe.

I'm basing that on my businesss (I distribute inverters around the world), demand has rocketed due to the new tarriffs, I'm not basing my opinion on something I read in a papaer.
    A 15 year payback is not realistic. Even best case you are looking at 18 years and the vast majority of sites would be looking at 25+ years.

But putting that aside.

In a Bank getting 1% return you capital is intact so you make a 1% return on top of your capital.

In your case after 15 years you are standing still, you only just made your initial investment back which due to inflation is now worth a faction of what it was initially. You are making a 0% return over 15 years (based on your figures)

Purely as an investment you would be far better off with your money in a Bank. Look at the solidarity bind 50% return over 10 years.

So you count the turbine apying for itself completely as a non-return???

I really really doubt it. It would also fly in the face of what the rest of the world is doing.
    My turn to ask, where on earth are you getting this information from, my offices in Spain, Germany, Finland, The UK and here are all pre-ordered for the next 6 months due to the new tarriffs.
    Where are you getting 5500 units from ?

On a 3Kw turbine that's a 20% load factor. Some large commercial 3MW turbines struggle to achieve this.

Apparently this one achieved a 4% load factor (Data collected over 4 years.)
    http://www.caerdelyn.co.uk/winddata.html

Google the Warwick wind trials. (this was for building mounted turbines)

Even small turbine manufacturers wont quote a figure over 15 to 17% and that's for an ideal location.

Most domestic turbines will struggle to achieve 10% load factors.

Where are you getting your figures from ?

My figures (actually 5635units) are based on the return from a 3kw machine on a 6.5m.sec site I've been studying for the past year plus, I've worked on the design of the turbine but I have to say it's not exceptional really. I don't know about your load figures but I'm looking at genuine outputs.

I'm basing that on my businesss (I distribute inverters around the world), demand has rocketed due to the new tarriffs, I'm not basing my opinion on something I read in a papaer.

No offence but I have to wonder about someone who distributes invertors around the world but does not understadn the difference between power and energy.

Invertors have amny many uses outside of windturbines.

The reasons I mentioned the newspaper article is that if they have a story on it then the dogs on the street allready know about it.

I can state for a fact that Spain, Germany, Denmark and most other European countries are reviewing the policies on subsidies. Most have allready announced cuts or outright removal of subsidies.

Have you any evidence at all to show that subsidies are increasing ?

So you count the turbine apying for itself completely as a non-return???

If you went to the bank and were promised a 100% return over 15 years what would you expect to get ?

My figures (actually 5635units) are based on the return from a 3kw machine on a 6.5m.sec site I've been studying for the past year plus, I've worked on the design of the turbine but I have to say it's not exceptional really. I don't know about your load figures but I'm looking at genuine outputs.

So you are looking at actual outputs from a site where a turbine has been installed for over a year ?

If so then that's an excellent site... (it must be located right on the west coast (probably Donegal or Sligo) on an elevated site. In fact I would go so far as to say that its an amazingly exceptional site.

But that's my point its site specific. You will not replicate it in another site. A 20% load factor is exceptional, almost unheard of, a 10% load factor would be on the good side of average and 4 to 5% not untypical.

What you are saying, what you are claiming as typical flies in the face of what every other organisation has shown, proven and demonstrated.

The links I gave you were to real world sites. One had data from 4 years showing a 4% load factor....... And that was not even an urban site.

knipex and bladespin could I ask you both to have a look at this thread please.

• Advertisement

No offence but I have to wonder about someone who distributes invertors around the world but does not understadn the difference between power and energy.
    Actually questioning my professional qualifications on an open forum is very offensive and just trolling.
    Invertors have amny many uses outside of windturbines.

Not mine I'm afraid, wind and solar only.
    The reasons I mentioned the newspaper article is that if they have a story on it then the dogs on the street allready know about it.

I can state for a fact that Spain, Germany, Denmark and most other European countries are reviewing the policies on subsidies. Most have allready announced cuts or outright removal of subsidies.

Have you any evidence at all to show that subsidies are increasing ?
    Can you please site a source for this information? My suppliers would be very interested.

I never implied they were due for increase, Germany, Spain and the UK have all introduced new feed in tarrifs.
    If you went to the bank and were promised a 100% return over 15 years what would you expect to get ?
    I would expect my initial deposit plus 100% just like having a turbine and the sum it cost returned. You should factor in future returns from the turbine, I'd bet the bank don't.
    So you are looking at actual outputs from a site where a turbine has been installed for over a year ?

If so then that's an excellent site... (it must be located right on the west coast (probably Donegal or Sligo) on an elevated site. In fact I would go so far as to say that its an amazingly exceptional site.

Arfaid not it's in Meath, my R&D site. I have seen outputs from that turbine in excess of 6kw at times, that did suprise me but they were the exception, not the rule, I have it rated to 3kw at 10m.sec now, it's tipping along nicely.
    But that's my point its site specific. You will not replicate it in another site. A 20% load factor is exceptional, almost unheard of, a 10% load factor would be on the good side of average and 4 to 5% not untypical.

No, that was not your point at all, I've already stated thay are completely reliant on the conditions on site - you just concluded anything to do with them was a mug's game.
    What you are saying, what you are claiming as typical flies in the face of what every other organisation has shown, proven and demonstrated.

The links I gave you were to real world sites. One had data from 4 years showing a 4% load factor....... And that was not even an urban site.
    I don't see how, show me the evidence that on a good open site with an throughput of about 6-7 m.sec averahe over the year that a turbine will not meet an output of about 5k units?
    Proven, Fortis and most Chinese are capable of that. They all publish their outputs and it's pretty easy to correlate from their information what you could expect from your site.

Can you please site a source for this information? My suppliers would be very interested.

Budget and pre budget comments from a number of European states have discussed this. it has been widely discussed in trade publications and more recently in the mainstream media.

I will dig out a link to one of the many stories later.

I would expect my initial deposit plus 100% just like having a turbine and the sum it cost returned. You should factor in future returns from the turbine, I'd bet the bank don't.

After 15 to 20 years you will have received your initial investment back your your initial asset is no longer worth what you paid, it is also near end of life so your return is nowhere near 100% or even close to it.

As for future returns. You do realise that you will also make additional returns if you leave your investment in the bank ?

Even if you extend the terms on investment to cover the life of the turbine (approx 25 years) you will not make a 100% return.

Arfaid not it's in Meath, my R&D site. I have seen outputs from that turbine in excess of 6kw at times, that did suprise me but they were the exception, not the rule, I have it rated to 3kw at 10m.sec now, it's tipping along nicely.

Let me get this correct. You have a 3kw windturbine that is outputting 6kw ?

Any chance of sharing details on that particular turbine ? Manufacturer \ model ?

Most wind 3kw turbines will have a rated max output of 4kw before over protection kick in and stops generating electriciy.

I am amazed...... and stunned......... 20% + load factor in a location that could be no definition be described as an ideal location...... You appear to have demonstrated that SEI, the Irish Wind energy Organisation. SoI and many others that they are wrong.

I don't see how, show me the evidence that on a good open site with an throughput of about 6-7 m.sec averahe over the year that a turbine will not meet an output of about 5k units?
    Proven, Fortis and most Chinese are capable of that. They all publish their outputs and it's pretty easy to correlate from their information what you could expect from your site.

I have already linked to a number of reports which you have chosen to ignore.

Lets look at this logically for a moment.

An average wind speed of 6 - 7 m/sec means nothing.

It could mean that for 10 months of the year that wind speeds are 2-3 m/sec but the other two wind speeds are up and 50 -60 m/sec due to winter storms.

It might mean that you only actually achieve 6 - 7 m/s for 15 days in the year.

Lets look at the specs of a random wind turbine.

Type: 3 Blade Upwind
    Rotor Diameter: 4.7 m
    Start-up Wind Speed: 2.5 m/s (5.6 mph)
    Cut-in Wind Speed: 3 m/s (6.7 mph)
    Rated Wind Speed: 10m/s (22.4mph)
    Rated Power: 3000 Watts
    Maximum Power: ~ 4000 Watts
    Cut-Out Wind Speed: 15m/s(33.5mph)
    Timing manner: automatically adjust the windward angle
    Overspeed Protection: AutoFurl
    Temperature Range: -40 to +60 Deg. C (-40 to +140 Deg. F)
    Generator: Permanent Magnet Alternator
    Output Form: 240 VDC Nominal
    Tower Height: 9m

So anything below 3 m/s or over 15 m/s it will generate nothing.
    Between 3m/s and 10 m/s it will generate something between 0 and 3kw
    Between 10m/s and 15 m/s it will generate between 3 and 4 kw

If you picked 20 sites all with an average wind speed of 7m/s and installed the exact same wind-turbine you will get 20 hugely different outputs as actual wind conditions will vary hugely from site to site.

I also notice that you have avoided bringing up your initial claims regarding C02 and fuel savings attributable to domestic wind turbines.

Budget and pre budget comments from a number of European states have discussed this. it has been widely discussed in trade publications and more recently in the mainstream media.

I will dig out a link to one of the many stories later.

Cool.
    After 15 to 20 years you will have received your initial investment back your your initial asset is no longer worth what you paid, it is also near end of life so your return is nowhere near 100% or even close to it.

As for future returns. You do realise that you will also make additional returns if you leave your investment in the bank ?

Even if you extend the terms on investment to cover the life of the turbine (approx 25 years) you will not make a 100% return.

I disagree on that.

Let me get this correct. You have a 3kw windturbine that is outputting 6kw ?
    Yes and no, during testing it overran up to 6kw, I have restricted it to 6 but realistically it shouldn't top 4kw with it's current power curve.
    Any chance of sharing details on that particular turbine ? Manufacturer \ model ?

Most wind 3kw turbines will have a rated max output of 4kw before over protection kick in and stops generating electriciy.

It's a Turbotricity turbine that is used to test a variety of inverters and blades.

As I said, I have restricted it to 4kw in reality, though it could pass that if the windspeed went over 14m.sec (it has on occasion) and I removed the restrictive curve.

I am amazed...... and stunned......... 20% + load factor in a location that could be no definition be described as an ideal location...... You appear to have demonstrated that SEI, the Irish Wind energy Organisation. SoI and many others that they are wrong.

I disagree on that too, this turbine is only doing what it's designed to do, it's location is far from terrible for throughput.

What load factor are you talking about? 20% of output? From what exactly?
    I could stick a 10kw generator on a 3m set of blades and call it a 3kw unit (if that's what I expected from it), I wouldn't recommend trying that though lol.
    I have already linked to a number of reports which you have chosen to ignore.

Lets look at this logically for a moment.

An average wind speed of 6 - 7 m/sec means nothing.

It could mean that for 10 months of the year that wind speeds are 2-3 m/sec but the other two wind speeds are up and 50 -60 m/sec due to winter storms.

It might mean that you only actually achieve 6 - 7 m/s for 15 days in the year.

Lets look at the specs of a random wind turbine.

Type: 3 Blade Upwind
    Rotor Diameter: 4.7 m
    Start-up Wind Speed: 2.5 m/s (5.6 mph)
    Cut-in Wind Speed: 3 m/s (6.7 mph)
    Rated Wind Speed: 10m/s (22.4mph)
    Rated Power: 3000 Watts
    Maximum Power: ~ 4000 Watts
    Cut-Out Wind Speed: 15m/s(33.5mph)
    Timing manner: automatically adjust the windward angle
    Overspeed Protection: AutoFurl
    Temperature Range: -40 to +60 Deg. C (-40 to +140 Deg. F)
    Generator: Permanent Magnet Alternator
    Output Form: 240 VDC Nominal
    Tower Height: 9m

So anything below 3 m/s or over 15 m/s it will generate nothing.
    Between 3m/s and 10 m/s it will generate something between 0 and 3kw
    Between 10m/s and 15 m/s it will generate between 3 and 4 kw

If you picked 20 sites all with an average wind speed of 7m/s and installed the exact same wind-turbine you will get 20 hugely different outputs as actual wind conditions will vary hugely from site to site.

That is true, I haven't argued against any of that, my point is that there are still many locations where a turbine will make sense.

For a 3kw your rotor is quite large and your tower is short.
    There are many different kinds of turbine on sale here, each works very differently from the other, some make most of their power (claimed) over 12m.sec others are making 2kw at 8-9m.sec but struggle to their peak of 3.5kw. Some sit in between.

I also notice that you have avoided bringing up your initial claims regarding C02 and fuel savings attributable to domestic wind turbines.

Please... I still maintain a unit of electricity generated from a clean supply is saving both money and waste, I always will, you won't change my opinioon on that.

I disagree on that.

errrr. What part exactly ?

You have already agreed on the payback.

Is it that you don't agree that a bank will continue to pay interest ?
    Or that in 15 to 20 years that the turbine will not be worth what you paid for it ?

I really don't see what you don't agree with ?

What load factor are you talking about? 20% of output? From what exactly?
    I could stick a 10kw generator on a 3m set of blades and call it a 3kw unit (if that's what I expected from it), I wouldn't recommend trying that though lol.

Load factor is a basic principle of wind power generation. Its equally applicable in large scale wind farms as small scale domestic turbines.

Without an understanding of load factor you cannot make any decision on windpower any more than you could design a grid without understanding the difference between power and energy.

I cannot emphasise enough how fundamental this stuff is to any discussion on renewables.

A turbine is rated by the manufacturer at a rated output. This is a fixed value.

The load factor is a variable for each turbine and relates to a specific location.

In simple terms it is the percentage of the rated output that a turbine will generate for a specific location over an extended period.

In Ireland load factors for large commercial wind farms are relatively well known and vary from about 35% to 20% with most being in the 25% to 30% range. The highest load factors are typically achieved on the West Coast (particularly the NW) and the lowest in the midlands and east coast.

Every turbine has 1 rated capacity but every wind farm has two, an installed capacity and an output capacity which is basically a result of the load factor.

Please... I still maintain a unit of electricity generated from a clean supply is saving both money and waste, I always will, you won't change my opinioon on that.

So what part of the argument do you not agree with ?

Do you disagree that the output from the grid can be varied to compensate for the output from your wind turbine ?

It is an undeniable fact that the grid cannot adjust to the variable output from a domestic turbine.

As a result when your turbine generates 1kw\h of energy it does not mean that 1kw/h less is generated by the grid.

No net economic saving or C02 saving. In fact by having to buy back your electricity (which in effect is worthless to the grid) is adding to the cost of electricity in Ireland.

The only way domestic wind power would have any impact on Ireland electricity market was if every house was connected to the grid. However this would require a multi billion redesign and rebuild of the grid while remaining an expensive method of power generation.

Look at it this way.

if we accept your figures then a 3kw turbine will cost about 13K installed ?

so a 3 MW install would be 1,000 x 13,000 or 13 million

Accepting your load factor of 20% (which I still maintain is achievable in 99% of location in Ireland) that would give us an output of 0.6MW

So €13,000,000 capital cost to generate 0.6MW or 21.6 million per MW.

Now funnily enough Board gais recently built a gas station in Cork rated at 445MW (that output by the way) at a cost of under 400 million so a total cost of €898,000 per MW.

That a difference of €12,102,000 or just over €12 million per MW or on a station this size over €5,340,000,000 or €5.3 Billion

Now I know the running cost of the domestic turbine will be very small but how long do you think that they could run that plant for €5.3 billion ?

Does that do anything to revise your opinion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

people if the ESB is sold (and it probably will be with all the noise in the media lately)

then the equation unfortunately changes to making it impractical to buy wind generators since no one will be willing to buy your energy

just some food for thought :(

• Advertisement

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    people if the ESB is sold (and it probably will be with all the noise in the media lately)

then the equation unfortunately changes to making it impractical to buy wind generators since no one will be willing to buy your energy

just some food for thought :(

I don't think it will have any impact to be honest.

In theory the generation and distribution systems are separated. Your electricity is bought by eirgrid and no the ESB.

No matter what happens I cannot see the state selling eirgrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Mod Edit: PM sent.

Joey the lips

The following is taken from the forum charter:

Do not advertise any commercial activity on this site. This will lead to an immediate ban, the duration of which is at the moderators discretion.

Do not promote yourself or your business/company or use the forum for personal or professional gain. Company names or links to company names cannot be used as account names when posting in this forum or any of the Construction and Planning forum/sub forums.

Any threads naming specific companies/traders will be deleted.

Threads looking for recommendations in a certain area will be allowed but any recommendations should be given by pm only.

Please PM details like that in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Joey the lips

The following is taken from the forum charter:

Do not advertise any commercial activity on this site. This will lead to an immediate ban, the duration of which is at the moderators discretion.

Do not promote yourself or your business/company or use the forum for personal or professional gain. Company names or links to company names cannot be used as account names when posting in this forum or any of the Construction and Planning forum/sub forums.

Any threads naming specific companies/traders will be deleted.

Threads looking for recommendations in a certain area will be allowed but any recommendations should be given by pm only.

Please PM details like that in future.

Oh my apologies but i am around these parts a lot and I usually dont advertise however as pointed out by a moderator recently if you have a useful suggestion point it out and leave it to the moderators discression. Thats simply what i was doing.

I have no affiliation, profit or love to be gained and if my posts are followed you will understand that i was being helpful which is why i imagine you have not banned me.

again my apologies. I will send a pm in future and save your post for reference.

Example of my point of confusion...again i apologise

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66670927#post66670927

...if my posts are followed you will understand that i was being helpful which is why i imagine you have not banned me.
    Yes, in your case I know you did not intentionally breach the forum charter. Regarding naming businesses or companies on thread, if we all stick to the following points we will not breach the charter:

1. Only the very large companies/businesses, who will not benefit from being named on thread, may be named for say, comparison purposes, like Kingspan or Velux.

2. If you have the name of a tradesperson or product which you think might benefit a user, PM them the details, and leave a "PM sent" note on the thread.

3. Regardless of companies sizes NEVER post a mobile number on thread.

4. The prices/costs sub-forum can be used for naming products for direct comparisons of prices, etc.

The above is a rather simplified version, but I think it makes the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I don't think it will have any impact to be honest.

In theory the generation and distribution systems are separated. Your electricity is bought by eirgrid and no the ESB.

No matter what happens I cannot see the state selling eirgrid.

Yes but ESB CS are the only ones who are actually paying at this time
    unless Eirgrid is made to do this, but their task is to manage the network not residential customers, there is a reason why this whole ESB breakup was undertaken

errrr. What part exactly ?

You have already agreed on the payback.

Is it that you don't agree that a bank will continue to pay interest ?
    Or that in 15 to 20 years that the turbine will not be worth what you paid for it ?

I really don't see what you don't agree with ?

I disagree that it isn't an investment, your argument assumes electricity costs won't rise in the future.
    Load factor is a basic principle of wind power generation. Its equally applicable in large scale wind farms as small scale domestic turbines.

Without an understanding of load factor you cannot make any decision on windpower any more than you could design a grid without understanding the difference between power and energy.

I cannot emphasise enough how fundamental this stuff is to any discussion on renewables.

A turbine is rated by the manufacturer at a rated output. This is a fixed value.

The load factor is a variable for each turbine and relates to a specific location.

In simple terms it is the percentage of the rated output that a turbine will generate for a specific location over an extended period.

In Ireland load factors for large commercial wind farms are relatively well known and vary from about 35% to 20% with most being in the 25% to 30% range. The highest load factors are typically achieved on the West Coast (particularly the NW) and the lowest in the midlands and east coast.

Every turbine has 1 rated capacity but every wind farm has two, an installed capacity and an output capacity which is basically a result of the load factor.

I understand that, I just wanted to know what your interpretation of load was. It's hard to argue with someone when they don't explian their agrument.
    So what part of the argument do you not agree with ?

Do you disagree that the output from the grid can be varied to compensate for the output from your wind turbine ?
    I don't disagree with any of that, but as the output from domestic turbines increases (as more are installed) demand from the traditional producers should reduce, I agree it is variable but modern plants can reduce output (and therefore cost, emissions etc) to suit this, at least that's what they claim.
    It is an undeniable fact that the grid cannot adjust to the variable output from a domestic turbine.

As a result when your turbine generates 1kw\h of energy it does not mean that 1kw/h less is generated by the grid.

No net economic saving or C02 saving. In fact by having to buy back your electricity (which in effect is worthless to the grid) is adding to the cost of electricity in Ireland.

The only way domestic wind power would have any impact on Ireland electricity market was if every house was connected to the grid. However this would require a multi billion redesign and rebuild of the grid while remaining an expensive method of power generation.

Look at it this way.

if we accept your figures then a 3kw turbine will cost about 13K installed ?

so a 3 MW install would be 1,000 x 13,000 or 13 million

Accepting your load factor of 20% (which I still maintain is achievable in 99% of location in Ireland) that would give us an output of 0.6MW

So €13,000,000 capital cost to generate 0.6MW or 21.6 million per MW.

Now funnily enough Board gais recently built a gas station in Cork rated at 445MW (that output by the way) at a cost of under 400 million so a total cost of €898,000 per MW.

That a difference of €12,102,000 or just over €12 million per MW or on a station this size over €5,340,000,000 or €5.3 Billion

Now I know the running cost of the domestic turbine will be very small but how long do you think that they could run that plant for €5.3 billion ?

Does that do anything to revise your opinion ?

You're arguing on a scale, that's silly, that's like saying I overpaid on my car or house because I didn't buy a thousand of them at the time.

We're talking about individuals here and their ability to reduce their reliance on the grid and their costs, not an alternative electricity source for the country, a penny saved is a penny earned, therefore a turbine is a good purchase for someone on a good site.

I don't disagree with any of that, but as the output from domestic turbines increases (as more are installed) demand from the traditional producers should reduce, I agree it is variable but modern plants can reduce output (and therefore cost, emissions etc) to suit this, at least that's what they claim.

Now your bluffing.

Yes most plants can scale back output but its not instantaneous (it takes time, hours in fact to scale up and down so they cannot respond fast enough to adapt to wind energy.

Secondly as they scale back efficiency decreases, drastically. The net effect is more fuel burnt and more CO2 generated per MW hour of electricity generated.

The exception to this is OCGT plants which can ramp up quickly and can vary output. Quite a number of them have been built in Ireland recently to back up the huge increase in the amount of wind-farms.

The down side is they are over 40% less efficient that the CCGT plants that are normally used.
    We're talking about individuals here and their ability to reduce their reliance on the grid and their costs, not an alternative electricity source for the country, a penny saved is a penny earned, therefore a turbine is a good purchase for someone on a good site.

And I thought you were a good environmentalist !!!

You are not looking at the entire picture. Indeed you very argument quoted above shows that you are only interested at looking at the individual tree rather than the entire forest and ignore the wider impact.

I was always told to examine the entire life cycle and the knock on impact of any decision.

Knipex and Bladespin this is the only warning you will get, STOP THE SNIPING COMMENTS AT EACH OTHER.

Attack the post, not the poster.

And I thought you were a good environmentalist !!!

You are not looking at the entire picture. Indeed you very argument quoted above shows that you are only interested at looking at the individual tree rather than the entire forest and ignore the wider impact.

I was always told to examine the entire life cycle and the knock on impact of any decision.

I'm not an environmentalist at all, I'm into self sustainability and saving.

This thread is about domestic wind turbines and what they can contribute to the individual's home, they have other benefits IMO but that's not the topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement