Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric radiators

• 03-06-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting some for my house to move away from oil.
    Does anyone have any eqperiance of them?
    thanks,cathy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

cathy01 wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting some for my house to move away from oil.
    Does anyone have any eqperiance of them?
    thanks,cathy

Electric rads, do you mean storage heaters or basic.. panel heaters?
    Storage heaters use a night rate electricity to heat up cement blocks in them and they store the heat and release it then slowly during the periods of higher rate of electricity..4

Panel heaters are just instant heat, commonly range from 1kw to 3 kw.. buly they can be expensive to run.

Do the math yourself, but it it is 3kw, it burns 3kw of electricity per hour of use, multiply that by the cost of electricity per lw, and how often you use it and you will find its not any cheaper than oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

I think you will find heating with electric radiators can be very expensive, consider how much money could be saved by every developer if they did not have to use gas or oil heating in the houses they built, then multiply it by the number of houses.

From an Eco point of view I understand the ESB use oil to generate most of our electricity, while it can be very efficient to produce electricity using oil a high percentage is lost in delivering the power from the generator to our homes.

Insulate your home as best you can to prevent heat loss, use energy efficient boilers and controls, there are some very efficient radiators available which may be worth looking at.

My personal experience of electric radiators goes back over 20 years ago, even then it cost around £200.00 per month for basic heating in a winter similar to our last one, not an experience I would want to repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

They are SUKE rads.
    w.sueka.co.uk
    Thanks for the advice ,Cathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi, if anyone gets a chance can they take a look and give an opinion?thanks,cathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

A very nice web site.

I suggest that you have BER carried out on your home, when making the enquiry tell the person that you want heat loss calculations carried out, it may cost a little extra but you get the information you need.

The web site gives very impressive cost examples however you need to know how many hours the radiator will be on in each room and the size of the radiator eg 1Kw or 2 Kw.

There may be a house or apartment where the example given on the site works and yes they may have a more efficient product however your home may be completely different.

With the right information you could send it to them and ask them to calculate your electricity usage and to size the radiator to suit each room in your home not their "Virtual Home".

I would also request a guarantee on the figures they send you, there is nothing fantastic about an oil filled electric radiator or storage heater lasting 15 years they have no moving parts so why should this system be any different?

Start with the energy assesment, also check ESB charges against UK electricity prices and convert using the figures on the web site.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement