Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Alarm Panel

Options
  • 03-06-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Im getting a new cylinder and need to move the panel in the hot press.
    What sort of price should I be expecting to pay for this? The wires are not long enough to simply move the box itself, so there will be electrical/alarm work required. (otherwise Id do it myself)

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It really depends on the time involved. Where are you planning to move it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

koolkid wrote: »
    It really depends on the time involved. Where are you planning to move it to?

Sorry I should have given more info, it just needs to move about 2 feet up the wall.
    Its at about 4foot now and I need it at 6 to allow for the larger cylinder.

Cheers!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Easy enough. Possibly 2 hours if cables need joining . I'd say around €150 .

Hmm more than I expected to be honest, you reckon I'd need an alarm company or any sparks?
    Arent alarms "regulated" now?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

is it not against the regs to have it in the hot press? or is it ok to leave it there because it was installed prior to the regs comming into force.

• Advertisement

Only for new systems. Retrofits or upgrades can be signed off by the customer. If the system has not been serviced in over a year its not going to be up to the standard anyway.
    @Greebo All alarm company's must be licenced by the PSA . You are legally obliged to employ a PSA licenced company. How much were you expecting for a couple of hours work?

Only for new systems. Retrofits or upgrades can be signed off by the customer. If the system has not been serviced in over a year its not going to be up to the standard anyway.
    @Greebo All alarm company's must be licenced by the PSA . You are legally obliged to employ a PSA licenced company. How much were you expecting for a couple of hours work?

The alarm is about 3 years old. I didnt think it would take more than an hour to be honest, there are only 4 cables that need to be lengthened, everything else comes from above anyway so has plenty of slack.

I will give the original installers a ring and see what they say!

Out of interest, is the attic a suitable new location?

GreeBo wrote: »
    The alarm is about 3 years old. I didnt think it would take more than an hour to be honest, there are only 4 cables that need to be lengthened, everything else comes from above anyway so has plenty of slack.

I will give the original installers a ring and see what they say!

Out of interest, is the attic a suitable new location?
    i would allow 2 hours for this. Remember everything has to be disconnected & marked, joins done as required, panel remounted , rewired & tested. If I were pricing I would agree 2 hours & discount if less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

it just needs to move about 2 feet up the wall.
    Its at about 4foot now and I need it at 6 to allow for the larger cylinder.

Cheers!

If it is only being moved 2 foot it would take less than an hour to do, but you should be looking at moving it out of the hot press.

is it not against the regs to have it in the hot press? or is it ok to leave it there because it was installed prior to the regs comming into force.

It is against the regulations to have it in the hot press but if installed before this it is ok.

• Advertisement

Only for new systems. Retrofits or upgrades can be signed off by the customer.

To my knowledge if it is to be upgraded it has to be moved out of the hot press as it is against the ETCI regulations to have it in the hot press ?

altor wrote: »
    To my knowledge if it is to be upgraded it has to be moved out of the hot press as it is against the ETCI regulations to have it in the hot press ?

Had one on my last inspections. It was signed off as requested by the customer, as they did not want additions wiring/works etc.
    It was accepted & passed with no non-conformance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Correct. If the alarm panel is moved out of the hotpress then it should be supplied from a spur outlet that is local to it and not the one that is in the hotpress.

also if fitted in the attic it is technically outside of the protected zone so a dual tech fitted in the attic is an option but a better option would be to move it out onto ne of the bedroom walls or onto the landing. alternitivly if there is a closet below the hotpress the extend the cables down and fit the panel there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Have done this type of job a few times, quickest was an hour but usually takes two. Again no need to move out of hot-press.
    Greebo, it's totally up to you who does the work but your average sparks would be out of his depth here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Jnealon wrote: »
    Have done this type of job a few times, quickest was an hour but usually takes two. Again no need to move out of hot-press.
    Greebo, it's totally up to you who does the work but your average sparks would be out of his depth here
    Hi jnealon,

If you have previously installed an alarm yourself (diy jobby) would it be possible for an licensed installer to do a job?, e.g. outdoor sabb even though it is not originally certified since it was a diy.
    Can it be signed off or something? what are the steps to this?

Had one on my last inspections. It was signed off as requested by the customer, as they did not want additions wiring/works etc.
    It was accepted & passed with no non-conformance.

I dont know how it passed as the standards clearly say the alarm must comply with EN50131 to be certified. Upgrading the alarm and leaving it in the hot press is against the ETCI regulations which installers have to comply to.

Who am I to say the NSAI might be wrong? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Tim M-U wrote: »
    Hi jnealon,

If you have previously installed an alarm yourself (diy jobby) would it be possible for an licensed installer to do a job?, e.g. outdoor sabb even though it is not originally certified since it was a diy.
    Can it be signed off or something? what are the steps to this?
    Yes a licensed company could take over your system and bring it up to standard

Just rang the orignal installers and he quoted €80 call out charge including the first hour or work, so looks like €150 was pretty close to the mark.

No mention of having to move the panel from the HP either.

Thx.

• Advertisement

Who am I to say the NSAI might be wrong? :rolleyes:

Your the installation company :rolleyes:

Just rang the orignal installers and he quoted €80 call out charge including the first hour or work, so looks like €150 was pretty close to the mark.

No mention of having to move the panel from the HP either.

Thx.

To move the panel 2 foot would take less than an hour. If he was moving the alarm out of the hot press it would take him 2 hours.

It is a fire hazard having it in the hot press, dry area. The standards for EN50131 plus the ETCI regulations say it should not be in there.

It is a fire hazard having it in the hot press, dry area. The standards for EN50131 plus the ETCI regulations say it should not be in there.
    Out of interest why is the hot press any more of a firehazard than a bedroom?

a lot more kindling in the form of clothes/towels ect. usually stock up against the panel might cause it to overheat especially if the immersion is on........i would imagine this is the reason anyway.

It is classed as a dry area at risk of fire. 2011 might be able to add something in with regard the electrical safety concerns from the ETCI.

My advice is if your getting it moved 2 foot for €80 - €150 get the installer to move it out of the hot press.

It is classed as a dry area at risk of fire. 2011 might be able to add something in with regard the electrical safety concerns from the ETCI.

My advice is if your getting it moved 2 foot for €80 - €150 get the installer to move it out of the hot press.

Thx.

Other than the attic (where there is already a junction box) there is no where else thats suitable/available Im afraid.

TBH this is a big fuss over nothing. In reality the hot press is fine. Mine is in a hot press & there is no way I'm putting in the landing or on a bedroom wall for no good reason. Use the lowest possible fuse rating for the mains & the power supply if you are really concerned. In all my years in the business I have not come across a single incident of an alarm panel starting a fire in a hot press. I have , however seen junctions on an immersion burnt out. Maybe we should move them out of the hot press.:rolleyes:
    I don't want to get away from the OPs questions & into the rights & wrongs of the standards. We've done all that before. If I have a system passed by NSAI or any other certification body then thats good enough for me. It also tells me its a very low priority for them also/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Electrical apparatus is designed to operate under certain conditions. Installing something such as an alarm panel in a hot press has several disadvantages such as:

1) *****High ambient temperature - Possible fire hazard

2) *****The possibility of clothing surrounding the panel further increasing the possibility of the panel overheating. -Possible fire hazard

3) *****Generally alarm panels would have a very low IP rating (if any). The hot press can become quite humid due to wet clothing drying.

4) *****From a servicing point of view most hot presses would make it quite difficult to be able to work on the panel properly. I am sure that there are exceptions to this. However it is interesting to note that the ETCI now insist that distribution boards are to be installed in a more accessible manner.

Personally I have seen an alarm panel that went on fire in a hot press, so I would not install one there myself and I would suggest to people that have them there to remove them. The ETCI did not come up with that rule just to be difficult, it was as result of lessons learnt.

As I said I do not want to go off topic & turn this thread into an argument re the standards.
    I 'll quickly address your points & then end off.
    Ill happily discuss further in a seperate thread if anyone want to,
    2011 wrote: »

Sheds, cabins & garages & conservatories would have much higher temp in warm weather, not to mention utility rooms with a dryer and more on the go.
    2) *****The possibility of clothing surrounding the panel further increasing the possibility of the panel overheating. -Possible fire hazard
    I have also seen this in other areas like with coats under stairs etc.
    3) *****Generally alarm panels would have a very low IP rating (if any). The hot press can become quite humid due to wet clothing drying.
    As above
    4) *****From a servicing point of view most hot presses would make it quite difficult to be able to work on the panel properly. I am sure that there are exceptions to this. However it is interesting to note that the ETCI now insist that distribution boards are to be installed in a more accessible manner.
    With a few arkward exceptions I find hot press very accessible & at easy height.
    The ETCI did not come up with that rule just to be difficult, it was as result of lessons learnt.

There are plenty of standards that make little or no sense. One example would be why a telecom fault is not allowed generate an alarm, There are loads of silly issues like that. If you want you can look at most application & find some obscure possibility that may , in extreem cases be dangerous.
    But like I said thats for another thread.
    Maybe after a bad day I'll start one with a long list.:D

• Advertisement

Electrical apparatus is designed to operate under certain conditions. Installing something such as an alarm panel in a hot press has several disadvantages such as:

Personally I have seen an alarm panel that went on fire in a hot press, so I would not install one there myself and I would suggest to people that have them there to remove them. The ETCI did not come up with that rule just to be difficult, it was as result of lessons learnt.

Thanks 2011..

I was on to the NSAI today and they confirmed that if the alarm is to be upgraded then it needs to be moved out of the hot press as per the EN50131 standard for alarms plus ETCI regulations.

Advertisement