Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birthday present for a cyclist- Ideas please

• 03-06-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭

My brother is a road cyclist and I am looking for ideas for his 60th birthday next month. He plans to cycle the Alps the week of his birthday(sorry I don't know which route). I have previously bought him various cycling books/tops/gloves etc so I am stuck for ideas. Something around €50-100. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A 60-year-old planning on cycling the Alps is probably already pretty hardcore, so it might be tough to find something whch he needs.

Could you get a couple of people together and get him a bike-specific satnav?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

crc vouchers

Seriously, you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Give him cash and he can buy vouchers for his lbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

As has been said if he is 60 and doing an alpine route then he most likely has all the gear as thats pretty hardcore.

Not exactly in the price bracket but why not take the trouble out of a puncture by getting him a co2 pump + some spare carts?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Pumps_-_CO2/

That combined with some other stuff such as vouchers or a good bike computer or gps system would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks a million for all the replies folks. It feels weird seeing him described as a 60 year old, he looks and acts 40 ! This is going to be a difficult present, he has a satnav for his bike, I don't want to give him cash or vouchers because he always puts loads of thought into my presents and I dont want him to think I took an easy option. I might get his son to check the garage to see if he has a co2 pump. I know there is a crowd of them going to the Alps and they are being followed by a van with equipment but it is something he could use when he gets back. Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Does it have to be something to do with bicycles? What about tickets to match or concert?

Are there any good cycling dvds on technique on such routes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Its nice to get a well thought present.

I would suggest following

Rapha pro team gloves (www.rapha.cc) - really good gloves in white.
    Caps - keep sun and sweat out of his eye when in the Alps. Rapha and prendas do great caps.
    CO2 pump as mentioned.
    Crank brothers speed lever (5quid) for getting tyres changed quickly.
    Chamois cream - DZ Nutz is fantastic.

All ofthe above would be at or below €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Nice gift list ny Rok On..

And throw in the Fallen Angel Fausto Coppi book by William Fotheringham as well..If he's 60, he might even remember the great man!!:D

trad wrote: »
    Great idea but he has it already, thanks :)

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    Its nice to get a well thought present.

I would suggest following

Rapha pro team gloves (www.rapha.cc) - really good gloves in white.
    Caps - keep sun and sweat out of his eye when in the Alps. Rapha and prendas do great caps.
    CO2 pump as mentioned.
    Crank brothers speed lever (5quid) for getting tyres changed quickly.
    Chamois cream - DZ Nutz is fantastic.

All ofthe above would be at or below €100.

Rok on, I love this list, there is some great stuff on that rapha site. I am going to make him up a collection of stuff from there including this
    http://www.rapha.cc/great-road-climbs-of-the-southern-alps
    Problem sorted, thanks a million. Better not let my cycling son see this site or my credit card will melt:D
    I will post here when my brother gets back and let you all know how he gets on. I have to admire him, some determination at his age.
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Glad to help.
    Hope he enjoys it and hope I am fit enough to cycle the alps when I am 60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

ROK ON wrote: »
    Hope he enjoys it and hope I am fit enough to cycle the alps when I am 60.

+1. Fair dues.

I hear there is still snow on some of the Alpe cycling routes. What about skis? Or sturdy cross tyres for the sherpas to carry?
    Seriously, Q rings are great for the knees-he won't be offended.

Advertisement