Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training pay ?

Options
  • 03-06-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Ive started full time work this week, working 30 something hours. The boss hinted today that I may not be getting paid for the training period, i.e - this week. I just wanted to find out where I stand on this, as that seems unfair to me. Any job I have had in the past, I have been paid for the training period. Surely it should come out of the employers pocket rather than the employee ?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

How can a company insist on training you for a week and not pay you?
    I never heard the likes. People get training at my place here all the time and they always get paid a normal weeks wages.

I'd nearly be inclined to tell him you cannot afford to do it for free so you'll have to skip the training part.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Beruthiel wrote: »
    How can a company insist on training you for a week and not pay you?
    I never heard the likes. People get training at my place here all the time and they always get paid a normal weeks wages.

I'd nearly be inclined to tell him you cannot afford to do it for free so you'll have to skip the training part.

Yeah - it seemed a bit mad to me. Im not some naive teenager - Ive had plenty of jobs in the past and Ive always been paid for training. One of the other employees said that it normally takes people 2 weeks of training to be up and running. It pretty much only took me 5 days, so its a bit mean spirited of them to not pay me.

I'm definitely going to contest it, but not too heavily, as I need the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Would this be a door to door selling job? Because my boyfriend has to have a week's unpaid training aswell and it doesn't seem entirely legal to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Would this be a door to door selling job? Because my boyfriend has to have a week's unpaid training aswell and it doesn't seem entirely legal to me....

No its not. Its in a bar. I asked them about it and they said the first 3 days were a trial period and I would not be paid for them. I can understand that not paying someone if the trial period is unsuccessful but they have now hired me so it seems a little unfair.

Advertisement