Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebrewing Suppliers

Options
  • 03-06-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

I am sure this is somewhere in the Megathread but I couldn't find it.

Who are the homebrewing suppliers in Ireland?

I have found two already and they are both online shops.
    Are there any suppliers that are not online?
    I would just like to be able to see the product up close first etc.

I am new to homebrewing and plan on making cider or beer. I have not come to a final decision but will probably go with beer so any recommendations on kits would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

http://www.homebrewwest.ie is the company i just used! I found them very good and helpful! Delivery was a little slow, took 6days! But it's a great site for gear.

As for shops you can walk in to, i don't know of any!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've just ordered from these guys

http://thehomebrewcompany.ie/

Here's what I ordered

Geordie Mild
    Fermentation Vessel with Drum Tap

and some yeast.

You can have it delivered, or collect from them, I have no idea if it's a shop or just a warehouse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Thanks for the info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Des wrote: »
    I've just ordered from these guys

http://thehomebrewcompany.ie/

Here's what I ordered

Geordie Mild
    Fermentation Vessel with Drum Tap

Hope you didnt forget the australian lager i asked for...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Degsy wrote: »
    Hope you didnt forget the australian lager i asked for...

You should probably stay away from any kits that claim to be lager kits as they're not really lagers. They're ale kits, with ale yeasts.

Lagers need to be fermented at low temperatures unlike Ales where room temperature does the job.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You should probably stay away from any kits that claim to be lager kits as they're not really lagers. They're ale kits, with ale yeasts.

Lagers need to be fermented at low temperatures unlike Ales where room temperature does the job.

Oh..does it taste okay though?

Oh..does it taste okay though?
    I've never actually tried one, but I've heard they're not the best, although that maybe due to the fact that they don't taste like lagers because essentially they're not, they're Ales.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Lager kit will turn out fine. Tasted one brewed recently with a kilo of brewing sugar and it was nice. I know they generally come with an ale yeast but I'd imagine kit made up with lager malts. A really good way of adding extra aroma to a kit beer is to add about an ounce of hops in a sanitised muslin bag for a few days before bottling or kegging. Hops like saaz would go really well with a light lager.

I've never actually tried one, but I've heard they're not the best, although that maybe due to the fact that they don't taste like lagers because essentially they're not, they're Ales.

Is proper lager hard to make then?

mayto wrote: »
    Lager kit will turn out fine. Tasted one brewed recently with a kilo of brewing sugar and it was nice. I know they generally come with an ale yeast but I'd imagine kit made up with lager malts. A really good way of adding extra aroma to a kit beer is to add about an ounce of hops in a sanitised muslin bag for a few days before bottling or kegging. Hops like saaz would go really well with a light lager.
    They're always supplied with Ale Yeasts, they wouldn't work otherwise.

The best way to improve any kits is to add Malt Extract instead of the brewing sugar.

Is proper lager hard to make then?
    It's essentially the same process as an Ale but it's fermented at a lower temperature range. Some Homebrewers mod Fridges and ferment their beers in them. Lagering (fermenting at a lower temperature) creates cleaner flavours in your beer. In Ales that's why it's not recommended to ferment at over 22°C as you then start to get funky flavours, although sometimes this doesn't matter as fuller flavour beers (using extra hops, and speciality malts) can cover this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

They're always supplied with Ale Yeasts, they wouldn't work otherwise

Brupaks do a 3Kg Lager kit which comes with an actual bottom fermenting lager yeast. Though I doubt many would have either suitable fridge or cold weather to brew it properly :D . Really should have done a lager myself during our extended cold snap, had some draught Pilsner Urquell lately and loved it.

Advertisement