Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Super/Megastores?

• 03-06-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Alright lads and ladies
    i was just wondering do we have any DIY megastores here in ireland similar to the likes of Lowes in america? Granted the building industry has come to a bit of a halt, but it was rampant for 10 years or so and id have thought we would have a few places that sell all the raw building parts at dirt cheap prices like they have in the states, but i dont really know of any myself. The likes of woodies and homebase et all seem to have gone in the direction of furniture, gardening, and decorations (etc) nowdays, so is there anywhere left thats like a giant, cheap version of a proper DIY store?
    Cheers:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

BnQ in Liffey Valley does everything and anything for builders.

So too does TG O Mahoney in Ballymount and also out at the back of Dublin Airport.

All 3 are quite big places and do al most everything building/DIY related.

Also Brookes,just off the M1 motorway at exit 5.Beside Kube kitchens.They too are a big builders providers with a huge showroom/shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I have done some checking on prices for things in the last few months, and hardware is very expensive in Ireland. It is well worth shipping in smaller items like pumps and bathroom fittings.

B+Q is far more expensive than in the UK. An item that was 32 pounds sterling in the UK (on the website) costs about 51 euros in the Liffey Valley store. It is a very impressive store though.

You can get good service and prices in the likes of Chadwicks and Brooks for standard items. However, these places are set up sort of macho-style, and they are intimidating to deal with if you don't know your WBP from your marine ply.

The trick is the 'relationship'. It sounds ridiculous and it is, but you basically have to be 'introduced' to the key person in your local hardware store. If you treat them well in terms of knowing what you want and being organized, you can benefit from their knowledge and they can be reasonably accommodating, as well as giving you a decent price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have done some checking on prices for things in the last few months, and hardware is very expensive in Ireland. It is well worth shipping in smaller items like pumps and bathroom fittings.

B+Q is far more expensive than in the UK. An item that was 32 pounds sterling in the UK (on the website) costs about 51 euros in the Liffey Valley store. It is a very impressive store though.

You can get good service and prices in the likes of Chadwicks and Brooks for standard items. However, these places are set up sort of macho-style, and they are intimidating to deal with if you don't know your WBP from your marine ply.

The trick is the 'relationship'. It sounds ridiculous and it is, but you basically have to be 'introduced' to the key person in your local hardware store. If you treat them well in terms of knowing what you want and being organized, you can benefit from their knowledge and they can be reasonably accommodating, as well as giving you a decent price.
    +1 on the macho setup, when you walk in you are pretty much faced with a guy at the counter, however most of them are pretty helpful if you get talking to them. There are one or 2 old timers who will treat you like an idiot..but thats life.

I find that B&Q do 90% of that you need, however they never seem to have everything you need to do a job properly, unlike Lowes etc.
    The open late aspect is a god send though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 dolalu

IMO there is only one 'megastore' and that is B&Q Liffey Valley...it is huge and stocks pretty much everything you need

Other DIY shops cant really call itself a mega store..maybe just a store :D

your right about Homebase and Woodies they have gone very soft and you cant really shop for a big home project there

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LazyFecker

Cheers for all the imput lads
    i guess there is no hidden gems out there, but paddy (and everyone else) thanks for the heads up on b&q, ill have to check to out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

prices : your example isn't actually that daft for a price difference.

they have to convert Sterling to Euro and then add shipping fee's and delivery fee's blah blah blah onto that.

its a hell of a lot worse when penny's do it or M&S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

If your looking for materials the best thing to do is to shop around personally and ask for quotes, hand in the list and get the job priced, then play one against the other, the only thing worse than not getting trade is someone else getting the trade. Usually builders merchants for building materials and hardware diy stores for exactly that.

Advertisement