Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assos Bibs/Jerseys

• 03-06-2010 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I've decided to invest for my ars*'s sake!
    Anyone out there know of the best place to buy Assos gear, with regard to price and choice of styles/sizes?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

wiggle or crc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Slane cycles are pretty good, CSS seem to have some decent pricing too (if my memory serves me right).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

yah, Slane Cycles seem to be as cheap as anyone (£104 for F1 Uno 2010), all sizes and colours last time I was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Slane cycles are pretty good, CSS seem to have some decent pricing too (if my memory serves me right).

I've gotten some things recently and CSS have actually been cheaper than CRC and Wiggle on the Assos gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Dumb question time, what is CSS?

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tel wrote: »

Cycle SuperStore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

yah, Slane Cycles seem to be as cheap as anyone (£104 for F1 Uno 2010), all sizes and colours last time I was in.

This will help too:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I find Slane Cycles quite a lot cheaper than Wiggle or CRC on virtually everything in the Assos range (and there's not much of the range I haven't got:o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

im gonna throw a spanner in the works here

but i was checking out a €200 pair of assos shorts in the superstore last week and thought the padding was utter garbage

i reckon my missus always ultra would do a better job

have you thought about the new Santini Geltech shorts?

the pad is brilliant, and at €100 you'll even have change to get yourself a few sweets in newsagent :D

cascading style sheets, anyone? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

im gonna throw a spanner in the works here

but i was checking out a €200 pair of assos shorts in the superstore last week and thought the padding was utter garbage

i reckon my missus always ultra would do a better job

have you thought about the new Santini Geltech shorts?

the pad is brilliant, and at €100 you'll even have change to get yourself a few sweets in newsagent :D

+1 on santini gitcx (havent seen assos up close recently so vant comment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've found Ribble Cycles to have good prices on Assos stuff in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Bought a pair of F1 Mille Shorts from Slane Cycles a few weeks ago. Did a lot of looking, and Slane were the cheapest. Have to disagree 100% with chrisbonnie, they are the best shorts I've ever had. Ive had Giordana, Pearl Izumi and Endura shorts, and none are as good as the Assos(the Pearl Izumi are a close second).

i was checking out a €200 pair of assos shorts in the superstore last week and thought the padding was utter garbage

In what way garbage? Did you try them on?

I've found with Assos that more expensive doesn't mean more comfortable. The Mille pad (for longer distance) is thicker than the cheaper Uno pad (for racing) but I much prefer the Uno for all distances.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Definitely the most comfortable shorts I own. Would tend to agree with Lumen that the Uno pad is nicer than the Mille. Having said that, I'd take the latter over any other shorts. My favourite though is the F:13 pad, although I haven't tried the new version yet.

I'm a big fan of Slane. Same prompt delivery as CRC but excellent customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

rather than start a new thread,

what do people use for washing bike shorts??? and other bike gear generally ???

the assos bib shorts came with a little bottle of liquid for washing them - which was grand. but that ran out and i washed them just there with the normal washing powder and it doesn't seem ideal (the powder ended up all stuck to the lycra material).

thanks.

@Lumen

yeah although I never intended to get anything more expensive than the Uno's [cost value ratio:D], they were supposed to be racing ones and not long distance ones, but having bought the uno's I cant see any need for the 'top of the line' ones
    they are soooo comfortable and anything more would start to get bulky and uncomfortable for big distances.

rather than start a new thread,

what do people use for washing bike shorts??? and other bike gear generally ???
    i washed them just there with the normal washing powder and it doesn't seem ideal (the powder ended up all stuck to the lycra material).

clean out your powder drawer in the wasing machine! the excess will get flushed back into the drain cycle if old powder is caked on it ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Hand wash / soak the Assos in a sink with some Woolite and then whack it in the washing machine for a rinse and quick spin in its bag.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Washing powder at 30 degrees works fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

me@ucd wrote: »
    clean out your powder drawer in the wasing machine! the excess will get flushed back into the drain cycle if old powder is caked on it ;).

yeah it was actually cleaned out just before i washed them. for whatever reason there's always a bit of powder left in the drawer after a wash (no matter how little of the stuff i use) so i always have to throw a drop of hot water in after a wash to clear it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Lumen wrote: »
    In what way garbage? Did you try them on?

I've found with Assos that more expensive doesn't mean more comfortable. The Mille pad (for longer distance) is thicker than the cheaper Uno pad (for racing) but I much prefer the Uno for all distances.

didnt try them on

but i did give them the world famous Chris Bonnie finger press test

basically i feel the pad with index finger and thumb, if my digits meet in the middle, the pad is crap,

if they dont,

then they pass the test

its a solid system ,watertight in fact!:D

thats right up there with the 5 second rule, it doesnt make a damn bit of difference but its nice to tell yourself that the food is still good to eat. NTTAWTT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

el tonto wrote: »
    Washing powder at 30 degrees works fine for me.

And Milton in the fabric conditioner compartment...

el tonto wrote: »
    My favourite though is the F:13 pad

Uh oh, my credit rating just dived again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

+1 on santini gitcx (havent seen assos up close recently so vant comment)

Someone's had a few to many Bulmers.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I find the Uno pad very comfortable when on the saddle, unfortunately it seems quite eager to try and burrow up my butt so when I stand out of the saddle it feels a bit "uncomfortable", like I have dropped the assos cleanser in the shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Anywhere else stock them apart from CSS?
    I believe assos are a snug fit so better to try them on first to check sizing before buying online.

CPL 593H

www.slanecycles.com

BTW Assos Mille are NOT a snug fit, especially 2010 versions.

Haven't bought a 2010 version of the F1.13 so still using last years Large which is perfect, whereas this years Mille in Large was waay too big and Medium was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭templer27

I bought a pair of assos shorts 2 years ago.I didn't know anything about shorts at all it was just pure luck I got them.Before that I was using aldi shorts,what a difference a good pair of shorts can make.Got them in the edge in cork,they worked for me don't use anything else.

There was not a lot in price difference from any where else,plus I could try them on big advantage to try before you buy.I have wrecked the shorts because I washed them on to high temperature.They are fab shorts but you must look after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Murph100 wrote: »
    www.slanecycles.com

BTW Assos Mille are NOT a snug fit, especially 2010 versions.

Haven't bought a 2010 version of the F1.13 so still using last years Large which is perfect, whereas this years Mille in Large was waay too big and Medium was fine.

I thought I was the only one with this problem. 2009 small Mille fit perfectly, 2010 small Mille don't so I'm fresh out of options.

Is this the same across the range? I'd like to get a pair of Uno from Slane (current offer).

Dont know TBH, I think Dirk Voodoo had the same issue but with Milles again.

EDIT : Wait, found it

chakattack wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one with this problem. 2009 small Mille fit perfectly, 2010 small Mille don't so I'm fresh out of options.

Is this the same across the range? I'd like to get a pair of Uno from Slane (current offer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

im looking at getting BIB shorts, ive never owned from before just been using regular or cheap as shorts. Are BIB shorts bigger advantage over regular shorts.

what do i need to look for and in terms of price what is a fair price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

Buying shorts can be an expensive business, especially when it goes wrong. I started with a pair of 10E milano shorts that seem paper thin now but then I though were the dog's, so to speak.
    There seems to be very little information out there about what you're getting for your money, which seems mental when you are forking out up to 100 of your hard earned sterlings. Short <ahem> of going into your LBS and asking to try on shorts there is no way of knowing what all that lycra worshiping is about.

The best shorts I have bought are these ones
    But you need a UK delivery address.
    I've taken a couple of shots of the chamois and attached them (hopefully)
    I think this is the kind of chamois that really makes the difference, before these I though terry towel was the height of luxury. Look for a good foam or gel chamois, you won't regret it.

furiousox wrote: »
    Anywhere else stock them apart from CSS?
    I believe assos are a snug fit so better to try them on first to check sizing before buying online.

CycleSurgery, the bike section of 53 Degrees North in Dundrum shopping centre stock Assos. Of the items that I looked at in there their prices are quite high (by comparison to some of the online prices - might be on a par with other local Assos prices though?) but they have changing rooms so you get to try stuff on.

• Advertisement

Incidentally, in case anyone is trying to decide between the various Assos shorts/chamoises this page on the CompetitiveCyclist website is one of the more useful "independent" sources I've come across as regards describing the differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

templer27 wrote: »
    I bought a pair of assos shorts 2 years ago.I didn't know anything about shorts at all it was just pure luck I got them.Before that I was using aldi shorts,what a difference a good pair of shorts can make.Got them in the edge in cork,they worked for me don't use anything else.

I want a pair of Assos but feel better if I can try them on first make sure everything is packed away right. The Edge website no longer lists Assos as a manufacturer so I'm guessing they're gone. The Assos website is extremely unhelpful with finding distributors, so anyone know anywhere in Cork or environs where a chap can try on a pair of bib shorts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bullmastiff

Thanks to all for the replys - proper assistance there!:)

Advertisement