Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7 MMA shows in August (that I am aware of)

• 03-06-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

It really has got to saturation point. (IMO)

How do we move forward? Any ideas?

Is it a problem that there are so many on?

One thing for sure there aren't enough Pro fighters to fill that many cards.

I wonder how it works in the boxing world? Is there that many boxing shows running?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

7 cards in one month? is that both north and south?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

yes north and south

They include

EFR amateur
    Ultimate Conflict
    Informed Performance
    Rush
    Clan Wars
    Warrior Quest
    TuffNut

Maybe there are more I don't know about??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

yes north and south

They include

EFR amateur
    Ultimate Conflict
    Informed Performance
    Rush
    Clan Wars
    Warrior Quest
    TuffNut

I was looking at that myself...I was wondering if I could get an entire 'fight career' over and done with in just a single month :)

I've no real idea of how it works but it does look awfully congested...I suppose we won't really know until all the cards are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Rickson1

A few shows should change their date to september. Interesting to see which clubs go to which events though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

A few shows will change, there's not enough pro's to run that many shows

• Advertisement

If nothing else, it's a great sign for the sport, on a national level, that promoters feel there is that level of demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

It is a bit Crazy!!
    I totally agree with the fact that there is not enough Pros to go around now.
    As many on here know im trying to put on a Pro show on June 26th. I stress the word trying. At the minute i think its just a dream i now dont think its gonna work out.:(
    I dont necessarily think its a bad thing with so many show. Id does show the enormous growth of the sport on a local domestic level. But i do think it will change the format of shows in the long run.
    I can see Cage Contender emerging as the Biggest Irish show. They will use there clout and financial muscle to grab all the "top" professional fighters.
    I can see smaller shows turning into c-class shows fought between local clubs based near to the promotion. By this i mean for example the shows up in Derry/Strabane will mainly contain fighters from SFT,Evolve and Lisnafin ect... keeping up with what the local fans want to see. Some Promoters may even take the point of view that "im not gonna send my fighters to shows that dont send fighters to mine."
    What i think may be a problem is the reason why these shows are being put on. Is it to help the sport expand and grow? or is it for the Money?
    That to me is a more important question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

It is a bit Crazy!!
    I totally agree with the fact that there is not enough Pros to go around now.
    As many on here know im trying to put on a Pro show on June 26th. I stress the word trying. At the minute i think its just a dream i now dont think its gonna work out.:(
    ."
    For the last rumble in rush i planned on having about 4 pro fights and all i was offered was 2 and both pulled-its very tough to have a full pro show but if you pull it off respect is due..

I can see smaller shows turning into c-class shows fought between local clubs based near to the promotion. By this i mean for example the shows up in Derry/Strabane will mainly contain fighters from SFT,Evolve and Lisnafin ect... keeping up with what the local fans want to see. Some Promoters may even take the point of view that "im not gonna send my fighters to shows that dont send fighters to mine."

I think local shows should base there shows on local fighters as thats who the local fans come to see-thats why my show has been a success and the point of my show in the 1st place was 2 reasons, 1 get my lads experience and 2 let the area see MMA as it was never done close to here before and now there is a local fan base.. many who have started travelling to other promotions off this aswell..

also i think its good to have promotions that have different atmospheres, Rush is loud but a nice atmosphere and 1 that i think is great for new fighters to cut there teeth in..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

cowzerp wrote: »
    For the last rumble in rush i planned on having about 4 pro fights and all i was offered was 2 and both pulled-its very tough to have a full pro show but if you pull it off respect is due..
    Pro fighters are notoriously unreliable ;)

p.s: would love to fight in Rush have been to 2 shows and enjoyed them both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭cletus

If nothing else, it's a great sign for the sport, on a national level, that promoters feel there is that level of demand.

I think it has more to do with promotors not really communicating, rather than looking at 6 shows in August and thinking "Ireland can handle another show"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭kravicecreama

It is a bit Crazy!!

......I dont necessarily think its a bad thing with so many show. Id does show the enormous growth of the sport on a local domestic level. But i do think it will change the format of shows in the long run........

......I can see smaller shows turning into c-class shows fought between local clubs based near to the promotion. By this i mean for example the shows up in Derry/Strabane will mainly contain fighters from SFT,Evolve and Lisnafin ect... keeping up with what the local fans want to see.....

Think you hit the nail on the head here. You can defo see a rise in the amount of c-class applicants occurring but is this such a bad thing? Having a large pool of c-class will eventually lead to more experienced fighters and more exciting match ups further down the line in different classes.
    I also think as a nation we are kinda tribal in nature.Clashes between local clubs doesnt seem to have done the GAA any harm:rolleyes: And even a quick look at posts over the past few days shows new clubs opening in Drogheda,Lucan and Tallaght and I know of moves to open a new one in Wexford in the next 2 weeks.

As regards the money and the sport thats a good question. While I doubt most Promotors are motivated purely by a strong religious fervor to do right for the young and fit of the nation, I cant imagine that they are hosting these shows if they dont think there is a big enough demand, either local or national.

Of course the ideal situation would be a system whereby some of the profits were guaranteed to be ploughed directly back into the clubs involved.But I reckon thats a completly differnt can of worms/post:o

Oh and while I think of it...has anyone looked into similiar situations in other countries? And what were the results there? The great thing about mma is its global nature.Maybe there are lessons to be learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

yes north and south

They include

EFR amateur
    Ultimate Conflict
    Informed Performance
    Rush
    Clan Wars
    Warrior Quest
    TuffNut

Xtreme Cage Combat is on the 31st of July in Limerick. Thats 8 within a short amount of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Dancor wrote: »
    Xtreme Cage Combat is on the 31st of July in Limerick. Thats 8 within a short amount of time.

And the MASSIVE Cage Contender V show in Dublin the week before that on 24th July!! (Thats 9 :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Is August traditionally great anyway? Between fighters and potential punters taking holidays that month and the warm weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

I think as long as you guys are helping eacher other out by sending your fighters to other shows then it can work. It really doesn't bother me if a show doesn't have a Pro fight on the Card all a ever ask for is two people willing/wanting to fight and a good ref.

Advertisement