Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom broadband technical issue

• 03-06-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

hello,

i have a technical query about my wireless broadband.

i have a supply from eircom - running wired on 1 PC and wirelessly on 3 PCs and a MAC. 2 PCs are running XP, 1's running VISTA.

a problem we're having is that the connection stalls intermittently. we don't lost connection, it just doesn't go to websites (saying 'connection to the server was reset').

this usually doesn't last for more than 3 or 4 minutes but during that time we can't go from one site to another.

then, it comes back and it's fine again.

i've rang eircom and they've seen my line and said everything is perfect from their point of view.

one thing that seems to prevent this from happening is when the wired PC is shut down.

if the router is broadcasting only wirelessly, we don't have problems.

is there a reason why the wired PC connection is affecting the wireless broadcast? or is it just a coincidence?

thanks,
    ronan

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Firstly but very importantly you dont have wireless broadband. You have dsl bb which comes in over your phone line and then you use a wireless network to distribute it around your house apartment or whatever.

If Eircom (or whoever your isp is) gets a reliable bb signal to your modem/router then their responsibilit is met. The first thing you have to establish as regards your problem is are you getting a regular and reliable signal - if so the problem lies with your wireless network and is for you to solve rather than Eircom.

There is no basic reason why a computer connected by ethernet to a wireless router should affect the performance of the wireless network. Lots of people would operate in this way. Does the wired pc ever lose connection if the wireless is not being used?

Advertisement