Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Residents Association

Options
  • 03-06-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our new residents association has just been setup and all are eagar to get the work done.

Our first official business is to issue a letter of complaint to a landlord regarding his tenants engaging in anti-social behaviour. My question is who signs the letter?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The chairperson or the secretary of the association.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

it doesnt really matter.

Regardless of the letter of complaint being sent from any individual resident or from the chairperson of your association makes no different. At the end of the day you have no power to do anything.

It will be down to how the landlord decides to deal with the complaint and I wouldnt expect his/her action to be any different becasue a different person has signed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

D3PO wrote: »
    it doesnt really matter.

Regardless of the letter of complaint being sent from any individual resident or from the chairperson of your association makes no different. At the end of the day you have no power to do anything.

It will be down to how the landlord decides to deal with the complaint and I wouldnt expect his/her action to be any different becasue a different person has signed it.
    The Residential Tenancies Act 2004 obliges landlords and tenants to ensure they do not engage in anti-social behaviour. This is an express term in any tenancy agreement and must be adhered to. If such action occurs then you report it not only to the landlord but also the gardai and ensure that you document everything. If it occurs again you continue this process until you have decided that you have a strong enough case and then you make a complaint to the PTRB.

However, it should be noted that an individual may only bring a case to the PTRB you cannot bring a case as a residents association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I/We are going through the very same thing.
    We have had to endure two sets of anti social tenants put into the same house. I initially had to get the LL's name from the PRTB and then sent the LL a solicitors letter outling the issues with their tenants.
    In fairness they did act fast (but only after my house was broken into & my car stolen!) and we requested them to "vet" the next tenants.
    But of course they didn't and the next set of tenants were drug dealers.

They have evicted them again but we are again engaging the solicitor as we want to prevent them from doing the same to us again.

Actually does anybody know if I can lodge a complaint to the PRTB on the basis of the above but the house is free at the minute or do I have to wait until the next set of anti social animals are in situ??

• Advertisement

Actually I am thrilled (of course sorry that people are in this mess through no fault of their own) to see so many people acting out against this behaviour.

It makes my blood boil that I have had to go through so much emotional turmoil, stress, near relationship breakdown with my partner and expense due to the greed of the landlord and the HSE.

Someone has to take responsibilty and the HSE I feel really need to be made accountable for actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Millie wrote: »
    I/We are going through the very same thing.
    We have had to endure two sets of anti social tenants put into the same house. I initially had to get the LL's name from the PRTB and then sent the LL a solicitors letter outling the issues with their tenants.
    In fairness they did act fast (but only after my house was broken into & my car stolen!) and we requested them to "vet" the next tenants.
    But of course they didn't and the next set of tenants were drug dealers.

They have evicted them again but we are again engaging the solicitor as we want to prevent them from doing the same to us again.

Actually does anybody know if I can lodge a complaint to the PRTB on the basis of the above but the house is free at the minute or do I have to wait until the next set of anti social animals are in situ??
    Millie,

I can't honestly say whether you can take retrospective action here you should contact the PTRB to see what they say. Although I'm sure that given the history you should have some grounds for complaint. I would also consider lobbying local TDs as Fine Gael were big on this issue last year and the Greens are suppose to take this issue seriously also. If you are currently engaging a solicitor surely he should be able to advise you on the best course of action.

My situation is different as it is students that cause us grief.

Thanks Royston, I have just contacted my local FG TD and hope to set up a meeting with him next week also.

I hope things work out for you with the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

The Residential Tenancies Act 2004 obliges landlords and tenants to ensure they do not engage in anti-social behaviour. This is an express term in any tenancy agreement and must be adhered to. If such action occurs then you report it not only to the landlord but also the gardai and ensure that you document everything. If it occurs again you continue this process until you have decided that you have a strong enough case and then you make a complaint to the PTRB.

However, it should be noted that an individual may only bring a case to the PTRB you cannot bring a case as a residents association.

Not sure of your point. The PRTB cannot make a landlord evict a tennant :rolleyes: as I said in my first post worrying abotu who signs the letter is pointless.

the landlord either gives a SH*T or doesnt.

If he does he will act on any complaint weather it be a res assocaiaton or an individual complaining. If he doesnt give a sh*t then again it doesnt mattter who has sent the complaint becasue it wont influence his action.

your trying to make out the PRTB can make the landlord act or take action against him, rather that quoting the RT action how about provide detail of a court judgement against a landlord in such a circumstance ? Ive not ever hear dof this happening but would be very inteerested in any reference material you can provide to the contrary.

Advertisement