Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More on the "Psychoactive Substances" bill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Oh well, I suppose we'll just have to get our kicks going out to the pub on a Saturday night, followed by a GAA match on a Sunday, topped up with a bit of RTE telly.....

Frack that sh1t - while Rome burns Ahern fiddles more useless laws interfering with personal freedoms - remember the profanity laws? This jerk needs to sit the frack down with a nice fat Camberwick Carrot and chill the frack out. It's like being trapped inside an eternal episode of the Muppets here in dear old Eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Hammered hippie

I honestly don't believe that this law was put forward out of real concern for public health as the scientific research into the whole thing hasn't even started yet. That is planned for the coming months. (odd isn't it..passing laws before any sound research has been done..isn't that very odd?)
    The main source of information for politicians has been the sensationalist news papers, Joe Duffy and his cohort of nosy neighbours and some TD's that don't want to see a certain aspect of society in their village shopstreet and rather have the odd heroin needle and junky in their back gardens. The media hysteria gave the isolated souls in the Dail the impression that popularity could be gained by appearing tough on head shops. So proper procedure and other bothering rules and regulations were shoved aside and laws were rushed in over night. And god did they need a popularity boost. Unfortunately they forgot that some 250.000 people were using head shops and are now well pissed off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

As for the pipe ban? The principal is absolutely infuriating, but gravity bongs are cheaper to make and a lot stronger.
    A water cooled bottle bong would cost you little or nothing, babies bottle and a length of tube with some gauze.,

Patterson's may now see a surge in business, there would be uproar from elderly rightwing FF supporting cronies if they outlawed these.

The Government would also fall out with the Arab community if they attempted to ban the sale of Hookas / Shishas. These are a part of their culture and are used for smoking various flavoured tobaccos.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

[

My favourite part of the whole act - forget putting any thought into the impracticalities of banning pipes and buckets - just make sure you get those hovercraft dealers banned
    ]

On the bright side it looks like it still might be legal to sell bongs from a tunnel borer or a space station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Or a train, bus or motor car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

The Government would also fall out with the Arab community if they attempted to ban the sale of Hookas / Shishas. These are a part of their culture and are used for smoking various flavoured tobaccos.

Unfortunately I don't think that would make much difference. Most of my neighbours (I live rather close to a mosque) think hookah smoking is makruh and even complain that asian shops sell the tobacco or the charcoal. They say it's only really Syrians and some Egyptians that use them. Of course they have a far worse view of alcohol.

Edit: A hookah can however still be sold by an Arab shop because it is used for tobacco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Or a train, bus or motor car

Ferris wheel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

mikom wrote: »
    Ferris wheel?

See, there you go again trying to link Sinn Fein with drug dealers - ya just couldn't help yourself could ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

What the hell am I going to do with this fleet of hovercrafts now? :mad:

Maybe you could sell them to the Ministry Of Love Dept. of Justice, Equality & Law Reform

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Ferris wheel?

This?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I'm surprised that they haven't banned rolly papers.. sure what percentage of those sold are used to smoke weed? I'd say it's about 95% these days

They really haven't a clue

And it becomes really obvious when you buy 20 benson and hedges with a packet of green papers.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 losh

Australia has already banned drug pipes 2 years ago .

"The Labor government of South Australia has banned bongs as part of a bill that makes possession of drug paraphernalia a criminal offense punishable by up to two years in jail or a $50,000 fine. In addition to bongs, the law covers such implements as hookahs, "cocaine kits," and glass pipes used to smoke methamphetamine and crack cocaine."

Here is the link http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/533/south_australia_bans_bongs

Possession Of drug paraphernalia is an offence there .

In Ireland it seems the new law will be possession Of drug paraphernalia is an offence only if you intend using it for drug purposese.:confused:
    Am I correct in this assumption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Unfortunately I don't think that would make much difference. Most of my neighbours (I live rather close to a mosque) think hookah smoking is makruh and even complain that asian shops sell the tobacco or the charcoal. They say it's only really Syrians and some Egyptians that use them. Of course they have a far worse view of alcohol.

Edit: A hookah can however still be sold by an Arab shop because it is used for tobacco.
    Also very popular around the Camdon district of London. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭AKA pat sheen

losh wrote: »
    In Ireland it seems the new law will be possession Of drug paraphernalia is an offence only if you intend using it for drug purposese.

The draft law refers to 'sale of certain objects' not possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 losh

Ah, I see that now , selling but not possesion.

Thanks AKA pat sheen

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Hammered hippie

Hmmmmm....although a zeppelin can have the shape of a big fat custom rolled cigaret of sorts...it wouldn't be an offence selling legal highs from one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 singo

its going to be an interesting few months with scum jockying for position for the illegal drug trade with the don shot dead and that guy arrested in spain,
    sit back and watch the bloodbath,
    well done the goveerment bunch of cnts

what a dump this country is

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

singo wrote: »
    its going to be an interesting few months with scum jockying for position for the illegal drug trade with the don shot dead and that guy arrested in spain,
    sit back and watch the bloodbath,
    well done the goveerment bunch of cnts

what a dump this country is

Let not forget the amount they have to sell has sky rocketed. More money more guns.............

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Headshops where the worst thing that happened to drugs in this country. Where's all the MD gone? Peice of **** headshosp full of ***** and big flappy ****slits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BUGS_DRUNNY

I'm not sure how it all works but what would happen if say hypothetically speaking someone were to open a "poisons" shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055649293

This thread has a poll asking cigarettes or rollies? The answer is roughly 50:50. Polls on boards are not a true reflection of society in general but give us a rough idea. I imagine that a figure of 95% is a bit too high.
    That is not really a rough idea, there is no way in hell it is 50:50. People who frequent the smoking forum are far more likely to actually like the taste of tobacco and are not simply addicts who take whatever is handiest or "the norm". If you had a poll of "instant vs freshly ground coffee" in the coffee forum you would find the vast majority would vote that they make it with freshly ground coffee (note the poll is for what they use, not what they would prefer). It is obvious that instant coffee is far more popular. Also a poll for favourite beer in the beer forum would definitely not see a true reflection of what is the real big sellers, e.g. budweiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cork60

I'm not sure how it all works but what would happen if say hypothetically speaking someone were to open a "poisons" shop?

Whould anyone have an idea about this ^^ or are there procedures in place to define a product as a poison therefore would not be feasable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

It's a sad day when a person can be convicted of a crime because the courts "prove" (beyond all reasonable doubt :rolleyes:) they were "implying" something :eek:.

This goes beyond legal highs, it's just a huge leap backwards for our legal system in general :mad:.

I'm still very suspicious over how much of this could stand up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cork60 wrote: »
    there procedures in place to define a product as a poison therefore would not be feasable?
    A lot of poisons would be restricted, e.g. you cannot get cyanide tablets in tescos!

Strychnine is a popular stimulant used to cut drugs, it is controlled. Its the stuff the gutter press label rat poison, yet strangely they do not label alcohol industrial degreaser, I wonder why...

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0353.html
    "16. Strychnine, its salts or quaternary compounds or preparations thereof containing 0.2% or more of strychnine shall not be sold or supplied or offered for sale or supply except—

( a ) to a Department of State, local authority or health board for the purpose of destruction, or

( b ) to a person or institution concerned with scientific research, education or analysis for the purpose of such research, education or analysis.";

The trick is to keep the drug away from authorities in the first place, these guys killed the golden goose, just like they ruined mushrooms for everybody. If the stuff was never on sale (or at least publicly on sale) the only way many would get it is to make it, in the case of mushrooms or cannabis people grow it. In many countries people are allowed grow a few plants, and people were happily growing mushrooms in many countries before the open sale led to idiots without a clue taking too many or people just hearing about it and calling for a ban. Or in the case of they guy here who committed suicide he drank and took a very small dose, but of course the shrooms get the blame even though alcohol has a very well recognised link to suicide.

The spice blend was very clever, claiming it was a mixture of legal herbs so authorities would just think its another blend of something and not even bother testing it.

Bongs etc are already banned in the US.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_paraphernalia
    Legal restrictions

In the United States, under the Federal Drug Paraphernalia Statute, which is part of the Controlled Substances Act, it is illegal to sell, transport through the mail, transport across state lines, import, or export drug paraphernalia as defined. There is no Federal law regarding simple possession of drug paraphernalia, but such possession is usually illegal under State law. The law gives specific guidance on determining what constitutes drug paraphernalia. Many states have also enacted their own laws prohibiting drug paraphernalia. Government crackdowns have resulted in the arrest of sellers of recreational drug paraphernalia, such as actor Tommy Chong, who spent time in prison in 2003 for having his name used on bongs for sale via the internet.
    [edit]

Other products banned

While most of the drug paraphernalia items have no legal use to individuals, drug paraphernalia laws can also apply to many items that have more legitimate uses than for illegal drugs. Small mirrors and other glass products (such as Pyrex test tubes and "glass crack pipes"), lighters, rolled up currency, razor blades, aluminum/tin foil, credit cards, and spoons have all been used to prosecute people under paraphernalia laws, whether or not they contain residue of illegal drugs.[1] While United States federal statute defines paraphernalia with the concept of primary use, in practice this can be interpreted to be what the individual was currently primarily using the item for, allowing for common items to be treated as paraphernalia only in cases where more clear evidence allows such determination of primary use.
    Credit cards, scary stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Right no one mention skins or they will be on the list too..........ah balls .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Gotcha, thanks.

This is bollox.
    "by hydroponic means" me hole.
    SO they have effectively banned hydroponics, good work FF you pile of twats, how does one go about growing tomatoes hydroponicly now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

Yes and by implication they've banned compact florescent (energy saving light bulbs) lights which are part of the hydroponic process. Didn't they already ban regular lightbulbs in favour of energy saving ones? You're gonna have to skin up your criminal-gang-bought drugs in the dark now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm illegally growing psychedelic turtles so, groovy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Guys,

I'm guessing that the majority of people posting on this topic are under 30, you guys will just have to accept that Head Shops have no future here. You can always grow your own stuff, but the Head Shops will be finished very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The only effective thing we can do now, those of us who are pissed off, is to remember this day. Remember this when the election rolls around, and FF seep up out of the sewers looking for your vote - remember how they took our country a step back into the dark ages, and tell them that it wasn't just NAMA/failed economy/banks/**** health service that lost them your vote, it was also this.

Destroy them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement