Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More on the "Psychoactive Substances" bill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Ah, it is indeed a puzzlement...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

barrackali wrote: »
    I will never support legalizing the dangerous sh*te that these headshops have been selling.
    Do you use/abuse any psychoactive drugs yourself? caffeine, nicotine, alcohol? if not then surely you must consider some legal drugs dangerous so I hope you are actively contacting your local TDs and expressing your outrage.

If you do use them, well, I think you know what you are.

Research published in the medical journal The Lancet rates the most dangerous drugs (starting with the worst) as follows:
    1. Heroin
    2. Cocaine
    3. Barbiturates
    4. Street methadone
    5. Alcohol
    6. Ketamine
    7. Benzodiazepines
    8. Amphetamine
    9. Tobacco
    10. Buprenorphine
    11. Cannabis
    12. Solvents
    13. 4-MTA
    14. LSD
    15. Methylphenidate
    16. Anabolic steroids
    17. GHB
    18. Ecstasy
    19. Alkyl nitrates
    20. Khat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

All I see here is small-minded immature remarks, get over it...these headshops are finished. It's not just Joe feckin Duffy that got these scum shop products banned, it's ordinary people. I'm not happy that drug dealers are going to benefit from this but I will never support legalizing the dangerous sh*te that these headshops have been selling.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

All I see here is small-minded immature remarks, get over it...these headshops are finished. It's not just Joe feckin Duffy that got these scum shop products banned, it's ordinary people. I'm not happy that drug dealers are going to benefit from this but I will never support legalizing the dangerous sh*te that these headshops have been selling.

What difference dose making it make. Drugs are easy to get. I could still get any of the old headshop stuff if I wanted to. If you don't know someone who can get it you know some who knows some. The only difference is now purchasing it funds gangs instead of the government getting tax. Not to mention smokes and alcohol are worse than alot of what headshops sell/sold

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

rubadub wrote: »
    Do you use/abuse any psychoactive drugs yourself? caffeine, nicotine, alcohol?

LOL, That old argument.

Surely sugar would qualify too?

SO we're all hypocrites for enjoying a bowl of frosties from time to time but feel that heroin should remain illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

InTheTrees wrote: »
    LOL, That old argument.

SO we're all hypocrites for enjoying a bowl of frosties from time to time but feel that heroin should remain illegal?

I know, they have been throwing up that crappy arguement for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭juleserino

By that logic you obviously advocate the closure of your local corner store, I doubt it. Your kind have no objection to the sale of cigarettes. Of course cigarettes don't kill anybody. Alcohol is not an addictive or harmful substance. No, of course its not, by your logic such dangerous substances exist only in the headshop. Ask yourself the question wise one...why are cigarettes still offered for sale.

You are a hypocrite and those that govern you smell of the same ****. Its a new fragrance by J duffy, "My Hole" its called, and you stink of it friend.

Wake up to yourself. You are ordinary, there can be no question about that. I'd rather be small minded and immature than be cursed with the malignant maturity with which the likes of you are endowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

LOL that old pathetic argument :rolleyes:, cop on.
    So I presume you DO take the 5th most dangerous drug on that list, your comments are fucking pathetic, those of an inexcusable naive hypocrite. I really feel sorry for ignorant people like you.

And its a completely valid arguement you dont seem to be able to counter

Going to have to ask yourself hows the small-minded one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

LOL, That old argument.

Sugar is not a psychoactive drug. Neither is heroin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Seems like the whole headshop thing has put the legalisation of cannabis here back at least another decade. Great job lads, it should finally be legal around 2075 now :rolleyes:

(note: tongue kept firmly in cheek)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mark27 wrote: »
    the_syco - Double 0 is not hash dipped in acid. Its when you take a cannabis plant and shake it, its the first layer of THC crystals that comes off it so its hash in its purest form.

Soap bar is when the Double 0 is mixed in with a load of other crap by english and irish gang/**** sters in Spain and then sold throughout he reublic of ireland
    Ah, cool. Explains a bit. Still wouldn't touch the stuff. Most people I know (bar one who'll smoke anything he can get) have given up on soap bar.

Your comparison is infantile. Sugars are almost inseparable from the diet and are used to flavour floods to make them more palatable. As a secondary effect they produce nice feelings if you're a fan of sweet food, but their primary function is not as a consciousness-altering substance.They do not have activity on any receptors in the brain which are known to alter consciousness, the most well-known being GABA, nicotinic acetylcholine, cannabinoid, 5HT-2*, NMDA, kappa and mu-opioid et cetera. In contrast, nicotine, ethanol, psilocin, heroin and so on are taken specifically for their action on receptors which cause psychoactive effects.

Sorry, but until you learn at least some basic pharmacology, maybe you should refrain from commenting on this topic at all before you embarrass yourself further.

rgt320q wrote: »
    Seems like the whole headshop thing has put the legalisation of cannabis here back at least another decade. Great job lads, it should finally be legal around 2075 now :rolleyes:

(note: tongue kept firmly in cheek)

All we have to do is wait for the UK to legalize it. If our government dosent follow there will be more than enough quality product to keep everyone happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Your comparison is infantile. Sugars are almost inseparable from the diet and are used to flavour floods to make them more palatable. As a secondary effect they produce nice feelings if you're a fan of sweet food, but their primary function is not as a consciousness-altering substance.They do not have activity on any receptors in the brain which are known to alter consciousness, the most well-known being GABA, nicotinic acetylcholine, cannabinoid, 5HT-2*, NMDA, kappa and mu-opioid et cetera. In contrast, nicotine, ethanol, psilocin, heroin and so on are taken specifically for their action on receptors which cause psychoactive effects.

Sorry, but until you learn at least some basic pharmacology, maybe you should refrain from commenting on this topic at all before you embarrass yourself further.

So what you're saying is that it's the intent that really matters.
    Do people drink coffee for the caffine high or the flavour?
    If the former, couldn't it also be banned?

Some people use cannabis for other psychoactive effects - mainly to counter nausea and to stimulate appetite.

Interesting page to get sugar classed as a drug.
    Apparently it effects the opiate receptors in the brain, just like other illegal drugs.
    http://www.lurj.org/article.php/vol1n1/sugar.xml
    Food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hydrosocks

went down to my local headshop tis morning, they had new incenses in.... ask for the best one they had...and got a 2g packet of SHAMROCK for 20 beanos, its supposedly an ethanol based incenses, says on the back its passes the new irish ban.... wasn really expecting much but made a fat one and lit it and got sh!tfaced off it, instant stone and wears off after bout half hour - hour... similar look and taste to d KING BBB... out off all the new genreation stuff smoke 2 (crap) neder gold plus(crap) shamrock(i recommend tis gr8 stuff)....
    :Dlookz like the ban didn hold of for the begrudgers hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

hydrosocks wrote: »
    similar look and taste to d KING BBB... out off all the new genreation stuff smoke 2 (crap) neder gold plus(crap) shamrock(i recommend tis gr8 stuff)....

It only lasted 30 mins....?

went down to my local headshop tis morning, they had new incenses in.... ask for the best one they had...and got a 2g packet of SHAMROCK for 20 beanos, its supposedly an ethanol based incenses, says on the back its passes the new irish ban.... wasn really expecting much but made a fat one and lit it and got sh!tfaced off it, instant stone and wears off after bout half hour - hour... similar look and taste to d KING BBB... out off all the new genreation stuff smoke 2 (crap) neder gold plus(crap) shamrock(i recommend tis gr8 stuff)....

Isent that one of the second rate American brands that never really caught on ? Dont suppose you know any of the ingredients. Cant seem to find it online anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

When this bill goes through. Go into dunnes,euroshop, wherever and buy a spoon. Make a joke remark to the assistant about how you will be using the spoon to cook heroin. hahahaha.. joke right? Make sure you secretly filmed it and call the cops.

They will have knowingly sold you a spoon with which you intend to prepare drugs.

The cops could shut down the place, in accordance with the law.
    Something like this could be done in almost any shop in the country.

Anymore ideas how to show this 'psychoactive bill' up for the farce it is?

Also, will the Yerba Maté tea that I drink be banned under this new bill? It is psychoactive after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭AKA pat sheen

Shulgin wrote: »
    When this bill goes through. Go into dunnes,euroshop, wherever and buy a spoon. Make a joke remark to the assistant about how you will be using the spoon to cook heroin. hahahaha.. joke right? Make sure you secretly filmed it and call the cops.

They will have knowingly sold you a spoon with which you intend to prepare drugs.

The cops could shut down the place, in accordance with the law.
    Something like this could be done in almost any shop in the country.

If you do this you will give the cops a legitimate reason to frisk you for drugs on the spot, raid your home for drugs and if that turns up nothing arrest you for wasting their time. Hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

You have 1 post, I am sceptical of your claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

If you do this you will give the cops a legitimate reason to frisk you for drugs on the spot, raid your home for drugs and if that turns up nothing arrest you for wasting their time. Hilarious.

Any ideas yourself? I think we might be on the same side on this issue, it`s hard to tell sometimes . :D

A buddy of mine bought 2 new legal smoking mixes in Portlaoise the other day. They did work but were mild enough and tasted like crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

I seriously doubt your claims, these headshops will be out of business when the new law is enacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Guys,

I'm guessing that the majority of people posting on this topic are under 30, you guys will just have to accept that Head Shops have no future here. You can always grow your own stuff, but the Head Shops will be finished very soon.

Very interesting forum. I think it is safe to say that 90% of the population under 30 have no problem with canabis use. Even those who don't indulge don't look down their nose and frown upon it anymore. It's use has become as common as alcohol, and many peoples attitudes are changing. I think that most people in this generation have realized it is not as harmful as parents, the government and anti drug groups claim it is. The fact is, it is safer than alcohol, no matter what way you look at it. I know people who once would walk out of a room if they saw someone smloking, and now, after being properly educated are prone to indulging themselves.

So this poses a question... Does this mean that in 20 years, when everyone between 18 and 30 at the moment are 20 years older, will it become legal? We will have a huge percentage of the electoral vote, plus those in power will have had experiences of canabis, either using or witnessing people using it.

As for headshops, what they sell is a cheap high, and let's face it pretty dangerous stuff, in some cases. This fake weed everyone is raving about is rubbish. It is not a worthy substitute. But, If people want to use it then let them.

It will be a long time before someone in power grows a pair and sorts this mess out. We need a state like the US or the UK legalize and regulate drugs, before any progress is made here.

Live4Ever wrote: »
    Does this mean that in 20 years, when everyone between 18 and 30 at the moment are 20 years older, will it become legal?

yes its inevitable its happening all over the world

the problem is i shouldnt have to wait another 20 years to have my rights allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think you may well be underestimating the capacity of parents to worry about their children doing things that they themselves indulged in when they were young.

And the capacity of politicians, legislators and commentators to pander to their fears and create hysteria.

And you must remember even the young have many conservatives in their ranks. At the end of the day, it's not even the wishes of the majority that will be abided by here - it's the wishes of those in a position to enact negative change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 connexion

Handy poster showing the ingredients of bath salts that are availabe after the May ban.

http://www.drugs.ie/pdfs/2010/head_shop_ID_poster_may_post_ban.pdf

stovelid wrote: »
    And you must remember even the young have many conservatives in their ranks.

legalisation of weed transcends politics imo it unites many different people from many walks of life imo

im a conservative and im still pro weed for medical purposes at the very least and for adults at very best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

connexion wrote: »
    Handy poster showing the ingredients of bath salts that are availabe after the May ban.

http://www.drugs.ie/pdfs/2010/head_shop_ID_poster_may_post_ban.pdf

I wonder why they couldn't do this years ago when these products started appearing.....

• Advertisement

vinylmesh wrote: »
    I wonder why they couldn't do this years ago when these products started appearing.....

Alot of the info was out there just not in a handy PDF document

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement