Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month old loves newspapers

Options
  • 03-06-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Our six month old boy loves playing with news papers and magazines. Folding them, stretching them, ripping them etc. He also thinks its great fun when I do it. It's a very good way to keep him entertained ;-) However, he also tries to eat them. Which is messy for obvious reasons.

Is there any good toy that I could get that simulates the newspaper but is safe for him to stick in his mouth.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Amazon Kindle?

...just kidding

Off hand I can't think of any safe alternative. Edible newspapers aren't in much demand.

My suggestion would be to put something harmless but foul tasting (lemon, alcohol free beer?) on the newspaper. He'd quickly learn that it doesn't taste nice and will stop trying to eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Amazon Kindle?

...just kidding

Off hand I can't think of any safe alternative. Edible newspapers aren't in much demand.

My suggestion would be to put something harmless but foul tasting (lemon, alcohol free beer?) on the newspaper. He'd quickly learn that it doesn't taste nice and will stop trying to eat it.

Good humour and good idea. I'd love toy that tapped into this part of his brain. Some safe washable safe material.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

the only thing i can think of is the crinkly part of the baby toys..

its part of the finding out the textures for babies to put things in they're mouths.. i can't think of another alternative though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Kids like strange things, my eldest loved nappies, the inside of them, shed cuddle them and play with them constantly, it wad the hardest part of potty training, to get her away from cuddling it.

Re the paper, do you know any bakers? There are edible papers for cake design such as wedding cakes with Celtic designs, often these are printed on edible paper.

Also some kids soft books make the sound of paper, probably fischer, I remember one of mine had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Have a look at the 'Amazing Baby' book series. They are hardback books specially designed to stimulate babies- very tactile with photos of faces- babies love to look at faces.

They are available on amazon.

We had 'Amazing baby, I love you' and 'Amazing Baby, Touch and Play'. The second one is very tactile. My two loved these books.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We have the same curious little mind. I let him play with news paper, wrapping paper, napkins etc. and just take it off him when he (inevitably) goes to stick it in his mouth. We have hard/cardboard books and even a plastic bath book but it's only lightweight papers that he's really keen on. Let him explore his paper surroundings and just keep a very close eye on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Dyflin wrote: »
    We have the same curious little mind. I let him play with news paper, wrapping paper, napkins etc. and just take it off him when he (inevitably) goes to stick it in his mouth. We have hard/cardboard books and even a plastic bath book but it's only lightweight papers that he's really keen on. Let him explore his paper surroundings and just keep a very close eye on him.

Thanks to all. He breaks his hearts laughing if I start throwing the paper around and ripping it up. A great away to amuse him and stop him thinking about his teething.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Kids like strange things, my eldest loved nappies, the inside of them, shed cuddle them and play with them constantly, it wad the hardest part of potty training, to get her away from cuddling it.

I'm intriged by this. She didn't do this after they where used did she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I think kids of that age will try to put anything and everything in their mouth that they can get their hands on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I actually love eating the unprinted edges of newspapers! As I read it, I tear off bits put them in my mouth and chew it up - yum! I've had this habit all my life and hasn't done me any harm - yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'm intriged by this. She didn't do this after they where used did she?

No, she used to put her hand inside her nappy to feel it so to stop her doing this I gave her a clean one, a nappy would last her 2 days doing this, I remember her dropping it once when I was holding her in a shop, a lady went to pick it up and recoiled, I had to explain it was clean, she must have thought we were very strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

My two year old nephew is obsessed with mops, brooms, hoovers and irons!! It's not as if his mother is an obsessive clean freak..... He actually squeals with delight when he sees a mop, and can't go past my utility room without giving my iron a hug! Strange child.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Thanks to all. He breaks his hearts laughing if I start throwing the paper around and ripping it up. A great away to amuse him and stop him thinking about his teething.

You've got to put that on Youtube!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

There's loads of videos of babies laughing maniacally at ripping paper.

This one springs to mind

Advertisement