Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Picks Thread *NO DISCUSSION*

• 03-06-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Boards.ie World Cup Draft
    • Based on the original Premier League draft idea (credit to Lloyd) and inspired by the Pro Wrestling Draft I give you the Boards.ie World Cup Draft Game. People who are interested would agree to pick footballers from the final squads of the 32 teams that have qualified for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. It would then be at the discretion of each participant to select a formation for their chosen 11.
    • There will be another draw after each player has picked his XI, putting people against each other in a knockout tournament where players will be required to argue why their team would win. This will be then be put to an open vote, you will be at the discretion of the soccer forum.
    • There will be 9 normal rounds where you can pick any of the players from the squads announced. Round 4 will be for a non World Cup player only while round 7 will be a legends round where you can pick any of the greats who played at the World Cup and not necessarily for a team that qualified.
    • When picking, feel free to add in a brief paragraph about the player and what he will add to your team. While this is not required, I would ask that each pick be accompanied by a picture of the player at the very least. If you miss your 24 hour deadline, the next player can go. It will be up to you to make sure you don’t miss this deadline. You can still choose whenever you can but players will be snapped up that you may have had an interest in.
    • You will be restricted to a maximum of three players from any one nation, akin to the Fantasy Premier League Rules.
    • With regards to assessing someone else’s team, you should take into account their performance at international level as well as their league form in the run up to the tournament.
    • Remember to play nice. Chances are everyone will have their preferences taken by somebody else at some point and in circumstances where you think someone has made a weak choice and you feel the want or need to stress it to them, do so with decorum and without resorting to one-line insults.
    • There may be a temptation to discuss who you chose your pick over but it would be smarter to not mention other available picks as to make sure that everyone is fair game.
    • Now there are plenty of regular posters here who frequent the forum on a daily basis. If you only log on occasionally and either can't or are unwilling to log on more often that is cool - but you will be likely to miss your turn and hold up the process and might be best to give it a miss.

Picks will be made in the following order. Every second round it will be reversed remember. So at the end of the first round, the 20th picker will also be the first picker in the next round. I will update this thread as picks are made so people can see who's gone and who's not.

**Excel Spreadsheet of picks so far**

1. Necronomicon - Messi, Diego Forlan, Lahm, Keita, Cannavaro, Maxi Rodriquez, Zidane
    2. SlickRic - Xavi, John Terry, Anelka, Alessandro Nesta, Krasic, Salcido, Maradona
    3. Whatawaster - Ronaldo, Yoann Gourcuff, Evra, Darren Fletcher, Ozil, Juan, Puskas
    4. Gillington - Villa, Dani Alves, Robinho, Michael Ballack, Ramos, Heinze, Cryuff
    5. Frisbee - Rooney, Piqué, David Silva, Igor Akinfeev, Van der Vaart, Heitinga, Pele
    6. MNG - Drogba, Carles Puyol, Walter Samuel, Andrei Arshavin, Lloris, Song, Beckenbauer
    7. Mr. Guappa - Fabregas, Chiellini, Ashley Cole, Petr Cech, Van Bommel, Van der Wiel, Eusebio
    8. Redzerdrog - Torres, Schweinsteiger, Per Mertesacker, Ronaldinho, Veron, Clichy, Platini
    9. Xavi - Lampard, Lucio, Diego Milito, Shay Given, Di Maria, Vidal, Maldini
    10. Voltwad - Iniesta, Yaya Toure, Sergio Aguero, Alex, Howard, Gervinho, Shearer
    11. Minto - Van Persie, Gianluigi Buffon, Joe Cole, David Beckham, Donovan, Zambrotta, Bobby Moore
    12. BigBenRoeth - Palacios, Nemanja Vidic, Miroslav Klose, Luka Modric, Bastos, Sagna, Stanley Matthews, Gallas
    13. Mitch Connor - Sneijder, Danielle De Rossi, Di Natale, Paul Scholes, King, Sanchez, Mata, Gerd Muller, Kolo Toure
    14. Curry-muff - Julio Cesar, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Rio Ferdinand, Sanchez, Busquets, Marco van Basten, Carragher
    15. LuckyLloyd - Kaka, Mascherano, Ricardo Carvalho, Javier Zanetti, Stankovic, Park Ji Sung, Franco Baresi, Frei
    16. Titan18 - Fabiano, Maicon, Marek Hamsik, Edin Dzeko, Capdevilla, Toulalan, Garrincha, Lugano
    17. Bamboozling - Eto'o, Ribery, Pepe, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Glen Johnson, De Jong, Lothar Mattaus, Neuer
    18. Bounty Hunter - Casillas, Higuain, Gattuso, Riquelme, Ivanovic, Henry, Dennis Bergkamp, Camronesi
    19. Archimedes - Robben, Pirlo, Malouda, Michael Essien, Agger, Kjaer, Roberto Baggio, Marquez
    20. Eagle eye - Alonso, Tevez, Pepe Reina, Esteban Cambiasso, Podolski, Albidal, Romario, Da Silva

Remember that this thread is only for announcing picks. If you wish to discuss the game then please use the Discussion Thread.

Best of luck to all participants!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

996caed1c65eaff8cc101a38e14ff9b2.jpg

This wasn't as easy a pick as one might think on the face of things. It's not secret that Messi still hasn't quite replicated his sometimes physics-defying club form on the international stage. 13 goals in 45 international appearances belies his status as the world's undisputed best; but after witnessing the little magician tearing defences new ones all season, I'm banking on him producing his best international form to date in the World Cup, which could be over by the time these teams are picked and the games are played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

10_4488_Xavi_Hernandez..jpg

Xavi Hernandez

Who better to set the tone for my team? Who better to control any game of football? This guy, I don’t think I’m exaggerating, is the finest example of a CM player in the world right now.

People go on about Messi. He is the best in the world IMO. But, and this is a bit but, what would he be without his composer? Would he be in a position to get even half the plaudits he does? Who is it that actually makes Barcelona, a team many consider the greatest team of the modern era, tick?

The answer is Xavi.

For Spain, he has the same role. You only had to see the game yesterday against South Korea to see the difference he made. People go on about Cesc. Well Cesc got to play most of that game yesterday, had little or no joy; Xavi came on, and we saw a new Spain.

One of Spain’s top performers in 2008, maybe only slightly edged out by Senna, Xavi was MOTM in that final. He was MOTM again in 2009 for Barcelona’s Champions League Final win over Man United. He is also a big game player it seems...

It is with pride I place this man at the centre of my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Cristiano Ronaldo

cristianoronaldopic18x.jpg

I dislike the guy , but i'm putting personal differences aside to make Ronaldo my first pick.

His goal record for a wide player is phenomenal, and in the last 3 or 4 years he's been the only player to even come close to the level of Lionel Messi. Had he not missed much of this season, he may even have matched the argentine's phenomenal La Liga tally.

His pace, power, strength, technique and finishing are all world class attributes. His inclusion means, regardless of who i play up front, my team will have plenty of goals in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

david-villa-2.jpg

Was thinking of building from the back up but I'd be raging when someone else picked this guy.David Villa.

Barcelona's new signing has just about everything a striker needs but his main thing is his eye for goal.37 goals in 56 international games is a quality return and his total of 107 goals in 166 games for Valencia is phenomenal and is no wonder he had Europe's best chasing him for years.The whole world awaits to see how he gets on at Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Round 1 - Pick 5

rooneynike2006.jpg.jpeg

For my first pick I've gone for Wayne Rooney. Coming off the back of his best ever season for Manchester United in which he has scored 33 goals in 43 appearances he is undoubtedly Englands main man in South Africa.

Rooney brings the ability to be a match winner all of his own accord to the team. The complete forward he has shown he can score with his left, right, head, volleys, the lot. Capable of leading a line on his own or alongside another striker. Coupled with his fantastic attacking attributes Wayne has a great work ethic and won't think twice about chasing a lost cause. Passionate and lethal, from what's been picked so far, Rooney is the best left imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Didier Drogba

soc_g_drogba3_sw_576.jpg

Like whatawaster, I'm going to have to put personal differences aside here. Quite simply this man is a phenom. He has pace, power, superb finishing skills and can even threaten from free-kicks and penalties. He is a man for the big occasions and has the ability to win a game in an instant. He is Drogba!

He's coming for you so unless you're a Japanese defender with a high knee, you better fear him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

CESC FABREGAS

e365316eaa085b86bb29c47f91ad-grande.jpg

This guy will be the heartbeat of my team. He is a leader, a goalscorer, one of the best midfielders in the world today, and hopefully a soon to be Barcelona player once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

ROUND 1 PICK

Fernando_Torres_300.jpg

A bit of a quick decision as I only joined the game roughly a minute ago but wanted to get my 1st pick out of the way to get the game moving for some impetiant people out there.

In my opinion Torres is the best striker in the game he has everything you would want in a striker/centre forward. Strength, pace, power, sublime finishing, great header and also supplies assists for those around him.

Torres has represented his country at every level from u15 to senior level and currently has 23 international goals including the winning goal in the euro 2008 final against germany.

At club level he has an amazing 56 goals in 79 goals for liverpool over the last 3 years despite carrying injuries and playing in a team struggling for form over the past year.

sorry for the rushed post but wanted to get my 1st pick out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Round 1 - Frank Lampard

image-5-for-england-4-0-slovakia-gallery-270257938.jpg

Every midfield needs a goal getter and very few have been better over the last decade than Frank Lampard.

The Chelsea star boasts an international strike rate of just over a goal every four games and is an integral part of the England side.

His vision, creativity and eye for a goal will be crucial to my side's set up and even the most average of strikers can be made look good when they are being supplied by Lamps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

iniesta-barca.jpg

I’d like to think that the world’s best player should excel in almost every way. They should be complete. They should be the most influential player on the pitch, almost every time they step onto the grass.

With that in mind, I can't think of anyone better than Andres Iniesta? He has power, pace, skill, vision, endeavour, defensive nous, leadership, craft, goals, creativity, temperament….he has the lot.

I'm delighted to be able to snap him up as my first pick as he is ideal to build a team around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Robin-Van-Persie-vs-Romania.jpg

Arguably the second coming of Dennis Bergkamp , Robin van Persie is an out and out goal machine when fully fit. He scored 10 goals and made 8 assists in 20 appearances for Arsenal last season and has scored four goals in Holland's last 3 warm up games for the World Cup. He is an asset to any team he is in and I am delighted to welcome him to my World Cup XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Wilson Palacios
    WILSON_PALACIOS_PIC_1.jpg

I genuinely do think Wilson Palacios would work well in a team of superstars.Harry Redknapp has said that this is the first name on his team sheet and it's not hard to see why.
    The man is an absolute beast,his range of tackling is superb,and his passing is top notch.
    This man really does hold a team together,I think he's a very underrated player too,but hopefully he'll get noticed a bit more next year when Spurs start playing in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

On the phone so will just name my pick. Will try to do a proper write up later.

Wesley sneijder is my pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Being in the bottom half of the group I had feared that the best player in each position would be gone, but fortune has handed me this fella:

Julio Cesar

julio_cesar_celeb.jpg

Widely regarded as the best goalkeeper in the world and on the back of an amazing season as the backbone of Inter Milans league and Champions league winning side im really amazed that nobody has snapped him up yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Round 1, Pick 15:

Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite

KAKA

Huh? He's still here? Well, if you guys don't want a true touch of class I'll have him. Cheers!

kaka.jpg

Last season, Kaka played 30 games for Real Madrid, scoring 8 goals and producing 10 assists. That this production was labeled disappointing is a measure of the man's greatness. Kaka is such a frightening proposition on the pitch that people expect him to destroy every game. When he is merely very good, criticism follows. Over the last 8 seasons Kaka has created unreasonable performance expectations.

In a week's time, Kaka will lead a dangerously overlooked Brazil side in search of their third World Title in two decades. People are doubting his form and fitness, but the man himself sounds more than ready for the task at hand:
    I had problems with the groin injury but then there were muscle problems, something natural when a player spends more than a month out of the game, I am getting better every day and there is enough time for me to start the World Cup in good condition. There is no reason for panic.

I'm expecting the same Kaka who ripped open the group stages of the Confederations Cup last year, the same Kaka who commanded a £56m fee last summer. In picking Kaka first, I am getting an extremely intelligent and versatile forward player. A man who can set the tone against the best defenses in the world whether he is playing as an attacking midfielder or support striker. He can dribble, he can pass, he can finish with his feet or his head - and he is an excellent athlete. Moreover, you can play through him all day long or you can count on him to be the end producer.

Crucially though, by starting with Kaka I'm ensuring that the first guy into my dressing room is someone who is hugely experienced and respected. A man used to being a focal point on teams reaching the business end of the biggest competitions in World football. Not a bad place to start imo.

Kak--will-play-in-his-thi-006.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Was hoping Kaka would be making his way to me, but sadly no.So I'll pick the forward who'll be smashing in the goals that Kaka creates.

Luis Fabiano

luis-fabiano_eliminatorias-mundialsudafrica-com.jpg

His goalscoring record at international level is brilliant with 25 goals in 36 games.His time at Sevilla has been very productive too and he's put himself up with the top forwards in the world after some disappointing spells in his earlier moves to Europe.

With the quality of creative players in the WC, I feel like I can grab one of the most explosive finishers around now and grab the guys to feed him the ball later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

My pick is Samuel Eto'o of Cameroon and Inter Milan. ETOO.jpg

This is a player who has won the Champions League for the last two consecutive seasons and is, in my opinion, the most clinical striker in the world. Let's take a look at the trophies he has accumulated over the years;
    2003 Copa Del Rey, with Mallorca
    2005 La Liga and Spanish Super Cup
    2006 La Liga, Champions League and Spanish Super Cup
    2009 La Liga, Copa Del Rey and Champions League all with Barcelona
    2010 Serie A, Italian Cup and Champions League with Inter Milan.

He has been among the best striker in the world the past 5 years. He is the all time record La Liga goalscorer for RCD Mallorca with 54 goals. In 5 years at Barcelona he scored over 108 goals in 145 league appearances for Barcelona. The man is a goal machine. He is clinical as we saw when he scored goals in the 2006 and the 2009 Champions League final.

Samuel Eto'o has also had great success with his national team Cameroon. He won an Olympic gold medal in 2000 at the Sydney Olympics. He won the African Cup of Nations twice in 2000 and 2002. He is the all time record goalscorer in ACON with 18 goals, 4 ahead of his nearest challenger. He has won three African Player of the Year awards in 2003, 2004 and 2005 and should have won the 2009 edition. It was Eto'o who scored the crucial goal against Gabon away to turn around Cameroon's qualification bid and he scored at home against Gabon and in the game against Morocco to seal their world cup spot. He is the all time record goalscorer for Cameroon with 44 goals in 96 appearances. He is the most decorated African footballer of all time.

Finally this man is a leader of men. He is captain of his country. And in 2005 it was he who stood up to the racists after suffering sickening abuse for Real Zaragoza fans. He said 'No More' and was inconsolable as he threatened to walk off the pitch. He stood up for himself and other black players with his actions. The man is a leader and I am glad to have him on my team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-V8Xdcfkdg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Widely regarded as the best goalkeeper in the world...

that ladies and gentleman is an opinion not a fact an opinion can be and afaic in this situation is Wrong as the way i see it Cesar is widely considerd as fighting it out with 1 other for second spot behind this fella. The Best goalkeeper in the world and thus the most solid of foundations for my team...
    Iker Casillas
    iker-casillas-bio.jpg

*Captain of Spain (lead theem to their their first European Championship in 44 years)and vice-captain of Real Madrid
    *At the end of 2009 he was voted into the UEFA Team of the Year for the third consecutive time.
    *He was ranked 4th in the 2008 European Footballer of the Year voting
    *IFFHS Best Goalkeeper: 2008, 2009
    *FIFA.com Team of the Year: 2008-09
    *Royal Order Gold Medal for Sports Merit: 2009-2010
    *LFP best goalkeeper: 2008/2009
    *FIFA/Fifpro World's best goalkeeper 2008-09

and still only 29

i dont think this even does him justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Arjen Robben

arjen-robben-manutd-23093.jpg

Arjen Robben truly established himself as one of the world class wingers this season, guiding Bayern Munich past Manchester United to the Champions League final. He's ridiculously quick, his close control is second none, and it's very hard to guess what he'll do next - Robben is equally adept with either foot, which is a nightmare for any fullback. Will he hug the touchline, will he cut in on his other foot, or will he go for goal himself -something he is excellent at. Who knows. All we know is Robben is now one of the best elite wingers in football, and has been for years. He's also just gone and won German footballer of the year, "Der Kicker" Player of the Year, and has an eye for sensational goals - he's won Goal of the Month 3 times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Xabier Alonso Olan
    Xabi Alonso
    images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5Cxabi-alonso.jpg
    The most accurate passer in La Liga last season, the man has great vision and a powerful shot also. Alonso left Liverpool FC at the end of 2008/09 and they fell from 2nd that season to 7th this term which just shows what a huge loss he was to them. He has been at the centre of everything for Real Madrid this season completing a pass every 83 seconds on average over the season.
    Alonso can play as a deep lying midfielder or can play higher up the pitch which he did the season just past for Madrid. He is increbibly accurate whether that be a 60 yard pass or a 10 yard through ball and his incredible vision combined with that accuracy makes him my no.1 choice for midfield.
    He is the only player in modern times to have scored twice from his own half for one club which just shows the shooting accuracy and power he also possesses. And just to add to his many talents he is also and excellent free kick and penalty taker.

I honestly thought he was certain to be gone in the top 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Carlos Alberto Martínez

Carlos Tevez
    6a00e54ef2975b88330120a700aa5b970b-500wi

What can you say that hasn't been said about this man. He is just an awesome footballer and probably the ugliest too. Last season he went to Manchester City and after a slow start he just rocked the Premier League with incredible performance after performance. He is exactly what I'm looking for here having nabbed Alonso in midfield. The guy has an engine like no other player I know, he is running from the 1st to the 90th minute and always looking to get open and make himself available. He scored 22 league goals in 32 starts and thats after struggling to get goals early in the season. In fact he only scored 3 in his first 10 league starts for City which leaves him scoring 19 in 22 thereafter. I'm picking up a guy here who has shown himself as one of the top centre forwards in world football but he can also play a deeper role should that be necessary. He is great at protecting the ball and with Alonso in this side, the 1-2s will see many goals for my team. I am delighted to add the pace, power, will to win and clinical finishing of Carlos Tevez to my team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Andrea Pirlo

AndreaPirlo_929181.jpg

The heartbeat of both Italy and Milan, Andrea Pirlo is one of the finest footballers in the world. A master of the killer pass, Pirlo is one of the ultimate playmakers at this summers World Cup. Give away a free kick anywhere around the penalty area and it's as good as a penalty to the Italians. Pirlo was Man of the Match in the 2006 World Cup final, and was named on the team of the tournament, and was named as the 3rd best player overall in Germany that year. On a personal level, he's won it all.

World Cup
    Champions League x 2
    Super Cup x 2
    Club World Cup
    Serie A
    Coppa Italia

You get the feeling that if Italy are to stand any chance of retaining their World Cup, it will involve getting the best out of Pirlo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Gonzalo Higuain
    Gonzalo+Higuain.jpg
    higuain_argentina.jpg

The man even Real Madrid aren't stupid enough to sell, who has scored more than a goal every two games since he joined them in 2007 and he is still only 22.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

My pick is Franck Ribery of France and Bayern Munich.
    franck-ribery.jpg
    write up to follow later

Might as well take the best right back in the world

Maicon

Italy+v+Brazil+FIFA+Confederations+Cup+Kmg5UU4tp-3l.jpg

Providing strong defensive work along with surging runs down the right, he's regarded as one of the world's best right back and imo the best. Playing in two of the best defensive sides in the planet too with Inter and Brazil, he'll be a brilliant asset on my team as he'll be marking some of the best players in the world.

Capable of some spectacular goals and assists and of shutting down the very best wingers the world has to offer, he'll be a valuable player in my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Round 2, Pick 26:

Javier Mascherano

javier-mascherano-argentina.jpg

Defensive giant when sitting infront of a back four. Combining him with Kaka gives me a great base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

It breaks my heart as a United fan to do this but my pick is Steven Gerrard:

steven-gerrard.jpg

On the back of a rocky season for Liverpool, Gerrard has been selected as England captain which is a testament to the class and determination of the player himself, consistently mentioned amongst the best players in the world his record speaks for itself:

Liverpool
    Winner (10)
    FA Cup (2): 2000–01, 2005–06
    League Cup (2): 2000–01, 2002–03
    FA Community Shield (2): 2001–02, 2006–07
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2004–05
    UEFA Cup (1): 2000–01
    UEFA Super Cup (2): 2001–02, 2005–06
    Runner-up (6)
    FA Premier League (2): 2001–02, 2008–09
    League Cup (1): 2004–05
    FA Community Shield (1): 2002–03
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2006–07
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2005
    Individual
    FWA Footballer of the Year: 2008–09
    PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2005–06[25]
    PFA Young Player of the Year: 2000–01[25]
    PFA Fans' Player of the Year: 2000–01, 2008–09
    PFA Team of the Year: 2003–04, 2004–05, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09
    FA Premier League Player of the Month: March 2001, March 2003, December 2004, April 2006, March 2009
    UEFA Club Footballer of the Year: 2004–05
    UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match: 2004–05
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2005, 2006, 2007
    FIFA/FIFPro World XI: 2007, 2008, 2009[87]
    FA Cup Final Man of the Match: 2005–06
    Goal of the Season: 2005–06
    England Player of the Year: 2007[88]
    Awards

Gerrard has been nominated on numerous occasions for the Ballon d'Or and the FIFA World Player of the Year Award.
    Ballon d'Or
    2001 – 25th
    2005 – 3rd
    2006 – nominated (top 50)
    2007 – 13th
    2008 – 10th
    2009 – 10th
    FIFA World Player of the Year
    2001 – 28th
    2005 – 7th
    2006 – 12th
    2007 – 6th
    2008 – 6th
    2009 – 8th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Again, really sorry but don't have time to doa proper write up (on holiday!! and the missus is standing over me ready to head out the door)

So, to continue the spine of my team, i'm signing up Danielle De Rossi.

20080405elpepudep_4.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf-Dquip068

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Nemanja Vidic

Nemanja-Vidic.jpg

I'm trying to build a solid spine in my team and I don't think there's a better center back in the world cup than Nemanja Vidic.
    He's been named in the premier league team of the year for the past few seasons and has a host of nominations for other awards.
    He's been one of the keys to United's success in recent years,picking up the PL title 3 years in a row,along with a Champion's League title and no shortage of other trophies.
    His stellar performances and his reputation no doubt justify this pick,and in my opinion he's the best center back in the world at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Gianluigi%20BUFFON.jpg

Gianluigi Buffon is one of the most dominating keepers in football. Having already won a World Cup with Italy, he is no stranger to success; his form in Germany in 2006 earned him a place in the tournaments all-star team. He is a keeper any manager would love to have at his disposal, so with that I welcome Gianluigi Buffon to my World Cup XI.

P.S. Apologies for the music in the video! :o

yaya-toure-e1271343362754.jpg

With Yaya Toure in my team I now boast one of the world's top Defensive midfielders to add to his Barcelona companion, Andres Iniesta. Why Guardiola wants him out is beyond me, he's far better than Busquets. His ability to read a game combined with his unique physique and sheer athleticism makes my midfied ever stronger and impressive. Barcelona would have lifted the Champions League if they had shown faith in him I believe. A take-no-prisoners holding midfielder in the Claude Makélélé mould, Toure allows all others to go off on attacking adventures and will be a pivotal part of my team.

Round 2 - Lucio

svLUCIO_wideweb__470x375,0.jpg

Dunga's Brazil is a much more solid unit than sides of the past, and that is in large part due to the rock that is their captain Lucio.

The 32 year old centre half made a name for himself in Germany with both Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich before heading to Italy to join Inter Milan.

Last season saw Lucio play an integral role as Inter won a prestigious treble and he will again be an important figure as Brazil try to reclaim the World Cup title that they relinquished four years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Bastian Schweinsteiger

images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5Cbastian-schweinsteiger.jpg

with a lot of midfield players gone there is a shortage of real quality central players left. Schweinsteiger can play anywhere in midfield and has been a revelation in the centre of the park lately and he is the man the german team of this world cup is going to be built around he is also is also going to be the class in my centre midfield

GIORGIO CHIELLINI

chiellini-346x212.jpg

Serie A Defender of the Year in 08/09 and 09/10.

A big strong Italian defender who just loves to defend, this guy gives me strength and security at the back.

Carles Puyol

Carles-Puyol-001.jpg

I've decided to turn my attention towards my defence and seeing as I wanted a leader at the back, I can't think of a better candidate than the man with the heart of a lion, Carles Puyol.

As well as his stunning trophy haul for Barcelona, and his European Championship winners medal with Spain, he boasts a terrific array of personal accolades:
    Don Balón Award for Breakthrough player of the year : 2001
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009
    UEFA Club Best Defender: 2006
    FIFPro World XI: 2007, 2008
    UEFA Euro 2008 Team of the Tournament
    FIFA Team of the Year: 2008
    2009 FIFA Confederations Cup Team of the Tournament

Puyol was named in many people's La Liga Team of the Year and with over 80 appearances for Spain he should prove a very important member of my side. Here's highlights from El Classico where he was named MOTM and successfully repelled some of the most dangerous attacking players in the world:

I'm very pleased to get someone of his calibre for my World Cup XI.

• Advertisement

ROUND 2 – PICK 36

Gerard Piqué

pique3.jpg

Pique overall was probably my second choice CB across the whole draft. He’s exactly the kind of Centre Back I want in my team and gives me a good solid base to build on.

Before I start extolling his virtues there’s something I’m going to address which I know will be raised by the choice of the two Barca and Spain CB’s in this round. I’m sure the argument will arise that Pique and the rest of the Barca defense only appear so good because they are so good at keeping the ball and so come under less pressure than other teams. To an extent this is true, but you don’t win the amount of silverware he has without being a good defender, putting it down solely to Barca and Spain incredible ball retention skills is selling their defenders short.
    Spain+v+England+International+Friendly+4QfukUcxbMnl.jpg

Now onto the man himself. Pique possesses all the attributes a good centre back needs and can adopt to either situation required depending on his defensive partner.

He can play as the ball winning defender in a pairing using his height and strength to out muscle opponents to win the ball off them before they get a chance to cause any sort of threat to La furja Rosa’s goal.

He is also well suited to playing in the Sweeper or Libero position where he can use his reading of the game to mop up any balls that get by his partner and clear his teams lines.

This flexibility is a huge bonus to any team that is lucky enough to have Piqué in their team.

Now that his defensive abilities are covered I’m going to move onto one of the main reasons I wanted Piqué in my team and that is his ability on the ball. He’s a silky smooth defender who is not afraid to get the ball down and play. When under pressure he’d rather play the short ball to his midfield or full backs rather than blindly hoofing it up the pitch to clear the danger.
    However when he gets time on the ball he has, imo, one of the best distributions of a ball going at the moment. His training with Barca who play the same style as Spain has really developed his range of passing and he is equally as capable of playing a little inside ball to his centre mids to get a move going as he is sweeping a 60 yard cross field ball to his winger in space.

An international goal return of 1 in 4 (albeit in a small sample) for the senior team is also a big bonus for corners and free kicks.

So overall I’m pretty delighted being able to pick up Pique at this stage.

At only 23 years old his trophy cabinet is already packed with:

Premier League (1): 2007–08
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2007–08
    League Cup (1): 2005–06
    Community Shield (1): 2007

La Liga: (2) 2008–09, 2009–10
    Copa del Rey: (1) 2008–09
    Supercopa de España: (1) 2009
    UEFA Champions League: (1) 2008–09
    UEFA Super Cup: (1) 2009
    FIFA Club World Cup: (1) 2009

UEFA U-19 Championship: 2006

For my second pick,I'm gonna go for my first pick,David Villa's,new team-mate,Dani Alves.

daniel-alves.jpg

One of the best Attacking full-backs in the world today cost Barcelona €34million plus and its easy to see why after helping Sevilla win two UEFA cup's aswell as a Copa del Rey.In his first season at Barcelona he won the Champions League to make up a domestic treble.And this is only half his trophy cabinet.If it wasnt for Maicon,Alves would have been one of the first names on the Brazil team sheet but its definitely not a bad predicament Dunga finds himself in.

My second pick is Yoann Gourcuff. Write up later

My second pick...
    John 'Lionheart ;)' Terry

BAE85AEC9C49FC5640FB489EF1E8B8.jpg
    still England's most reliable defender, John Terry will need to be at his brilliant, bullish best if England are to have a chance at this year's tournament. and the signs towards the end of this season suggest he's getting back to his absolute best.

after a difficult year, his seminal performances this season came in the away victory at Old Trafford which set his team on the way to the title, then at Liverpool again, where he was dominant. when the going get's tough, or you need to someone to stand up and be counted, this is a man who will not let you down on the pitch. going on current form and fitness, he is currently Chelsea's best central defender.

often beleaguered for his perceived lack of pace; he more than makes up for that with being one of the best front post defenders in the world, being strong as a bull, and being a leader, the type of which a manager dreams of having.

he's a threat at set-pieces, plus, can play a bit. he often gets lumbered with being the 'brawn', but take a look at some of his skills, his long range passing, his bringing the ball out of defence. the lack of footballing skills is a myth, purely IMO, because he is 'big and strong'.

he's been in FIFA Pro's Team of the Year for the last 5 years, was PFA Player of the Year in Chelsea's Premier League winning season in 2005.

he was in the World Cup Team of the Tournament in 2006, has been in UEFA's Team of the Year the last 3 years (4 times in all), being their defender of the year the last 2 years (3 times in all).

needless to say, i'm proud to have him as the cornerstone of my back 4.

1. Xavi
    2. John Terry

3395224463_df5995bdf4.jpg

I wanted to pick a centre forward in this round, because I believe it is a position which might experience a shortage of world-class picks as the game progresses. With that in mind, I give you: Diego Forlan.

When Forlan moved from Manchester United to Villareal, I was left scratching my head as he ended up with La Liga's Pichichi and joint European Golden Boot awards. But since then he has continued to improve, and show that while his United move didn't work out, he is still a world-class player. He went on to score 54 goals in 106 games for Villareal before moving to Athletico Madrid.

Since then he has scored a further 66 goals in 102 appearances, once again winning the Pichichi and European Golden Boot together in the 2008/2009 season with a staggering 32 goals in 33 games.

For Uruguay he has scored 24 goals in 62 appearances; in their World Cup qualifying campaign he scored a goal in just under every 2 games (7 in 13 appearances), the highlight being a hat-trick he hit against Peru.

• Advertisement

philipp_lahm.jpg

My first defensive pick is the ever-consistent Philipp Lahm.

Lahm became the youngest captain in Germany's history this year, when Joachim Loew appointed him when Ballack was ruled out of the World Cup through injury. At 26, he is only approaching the peak of his career as he gets ready to participate in his 4th major international tournament.

Furthermore, as a pick Lahm gives me great flexibility due to his versatility; he appears to be equally adept at either full-back position, playing right-back for Bayern Munich and left-back for the national team. That means I can see how the picks are progressing in each position before picking another full-back.

this was a very tough pick for me. i have to pick my first striker, as i predict that i won't get a world class finisher unless i pick one right now.

there are a couple of others i considered; but they don't have the proven track record of this man at the highest level, at some of the biggest clubs in the world. it depressed me a little when Liverpool didn't take him on after his loan spell...

he is the nomad of world football. he is Le Sulk. he is France's main man in attack now after many years as the pretender to certain others. he ripped Ireland a new one in Croker in the first leg of our play off with France.

he's won every major competition in Europe's top leagues, as well as international honours; winning the European Championship and the World Cup.

a bit of prodigy when he came to Arsenal, he made it easy for Wenger to let go of the legend that was Ian Wright, before making his big move to Real Madrid, where although he struggled to get into the team, he ultimately proved to be important come the end of their European Cup winning year in 2000.

fast forward to today, he's been through Bolton, Man City and Liverpool while being back in the Premier League, scoring goals wherever he's been. while at Chelsea, he's proven a pivotal player, being the Premier League's top scorer in 08/09 while the club was going through transition through Scolari and Hiddink, and while Drogba took a bit of a hissy-fit on the sidelines.

he gives me the option of playing him in a slightly withdrawn role (one he plays for France, and tends to excel at), or he can be a lone man up front like he was in his top scoring year at Chelsea.

either way, i've got myself a proven top-class finisher, and all round player. from 2007 he's been one of France's first choice strikers, going on to solidify himself as one of the world's premier forwards...

his name is...
    Nicolas Anelka

Nicolas_Anelka_300.jpg

1. Xavi
    2. John Terry
    3. Nicolas Anelka

My third pick is Patrice Evra, left back extraordinaire. Continuing popular French element to my team

Write up later.

He might cause abit of unrest in my team but he's going in anyways! Its Róbson de Souza or Robinho to the rest of us.

robinho.jpg

Despite the striker come wingers troubles he has still managed to pick up 75 caps for Brazil bagging 23 goals along the way.He was an integral part to Brazil's two Confederation cup wins in 2005 and 2009 aswell as the Copa America in 2007.The former World Young Player of the Year helped Santos win their first Brazilian title since Pele before moving to Real Madrid were he won two La Liga titles.Another massive money move saw him join Manchester City which didnt quite work out for him.He has speed,trickery and eye for goal and will fit perfectly into my team.

1.David Villa
    2.Dani Alves
    3.Robinho

Round 3
    Pick 44

DavidSILVA.jpg

David Silva

Capable of playing either on the wing or as an attacking midfielder David Silva is a versatile player who has talent in abundance. Probably the only of the wingers selected in Spain's squad for the upcoming World Cup that can be sure of a starting berth in the important games.

He is a bundle of creativity and is as likely to use his pace and trickery to bypass an opponent out on the wing as he is to find a killer ball into his striker if playing in a more central position. Seven goals in 36 international appearances for Spain's Senior squad and a strike ratio of 1-in-6 for Valencia shows he also has an eye for goal and can chip in when needed. An intelligent player who fits in perfectly with Spain's ethos of play, ball retention is of a high priority however he is probably one of the more direct players in the current Spain squad who is willing to power towards goal if an opportunity presents itself.
    article-0-01C2273500000578-65_468x322.jpg

Silvas versatility is of great use to any team he is a part of as he can competently slot into any off the attacking roles in the final third of the pitch and still look at home.

Walter Samuel

walter-samuel_1556421c.jpg

In my view most teams in this contest will boast serious attacking power, but what concerns me is that not every team will have the defence to withstand it, particularly in the central area.

That is why I am again turning my attention towards this part of the pitch and I'm going for a player who was instrumental in Mourinho's plans, helping Inter win the treble this season, and who would at this moment be regarded by many as one of the best central defenders in Europe. He has over 50 caps for Argentina and ought to be at the heart of Diego's defensive plans in South Africa (assuming he has some). He is nicknamed The Wall. He is Walter Samuel.

I'm happy to have Samuel to line up along with Puyol at the heart of my defence and they should hopefully give the rest of you a tough time in trying to break them down.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Pick 1: Didier Drogba
    Pick 2: Carles Puyol
    Pick 3: Walter Samuel

ASHLEY COLE

0,,10268~3432965,00.jpg

With my third pick I take the player who I think is the best left back in the world. A great defender, and a serious attacking threat to boot. Delighted to get a player of this calibre in the third round.

1. Cesc Fabregas
    2. Giorgio Chiellini
    3. Ashley Cole

I have a proxy for redzerdrog, so he picks

Per Mertesacker

per_squidward.jpg

He's a solid defender in a game where he'll come up against many fantastic forwards and attacking midfielders.He is the heart of the German defense and will provide a strong presence in the centre of defense for redzerdrog's team.Seems to know how to pose for the cameras too :D

Round 3 - Diego Milito

1591.jpg

To say I'm surprised that this man is still available is an understatement.

Inter forward Diego Milito joins his fellow treble winning club mate Lucio in my team and brings all the attributes required for a top class striker.

Even though he turns 31 tomorrow, Milito has never been in better form and bagged 22 league goals for the San Siro side last season. He was also the architect behind their Champions League victory.

The thought him and Lampard linking up is quite juicy.

Round 1: Frank Lampard
    Round 2: Lucio
    Round 3: Diego Milito

He's been honoured with:
    • FIFA Young Player of the Year: 2007
    • FIFA U-20 World Cup Top Scorer: 2007
    • FIFA U-20 World Cup Player of the Tournament: 2007
    • Tuttosport Golden Boy: 2007[24][25]
    • Don Balón Award (Best Foreign Player in La Liga): 2007-08
    • EFE Trophy Award (Best Ibero-American Player in La Liga): 2007-08
    • Bravo Award (U-21 European Footballer of the Year): 2009

This man will more than likely be a big transfer story this summer due to his immense ability. Kun has been with Atlético Madrid since age 18 and already has bagged himself 66 goals for the club and doled out bundles of assists. Although not yet a regular for Argentina, he could find his way into the plans of Maradona this summer. He's already hit 8 goals in 21 starts for Argentina and with a shortage of quality attacking players in the remaining bunch I'm delighted to name Sergio Aguero as my third pick. On his day capable of single-handedly carrying a team. Low center of gravity and tremendous dribbling skill earns comparison to Messi, but Aguero is more of a natural striker.

51436.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement