Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Picks Thread *NO DISCUSSION*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Very surprised he's lasted this long. This man will play opposite to Gervinho and with them constantly swapping they're sure to terrorize defences.

I like the way Elia plays. He's not selfish and he is a great passer in and around the box. He had the most assists for Hamburg this season despite being injured for a third of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Round 8 - Michael Bradley

alg_bradley_beasley.jpg

I've used this pick to bring in a dynamic midfielder who I feel will fit my system perfectly.

USA star Michael Bradley has been very impressive so far in this World Cup, but he has been putting in similar performances for years. Still only 22 years of age, the 6ft 2ins tough tackler has earned close to 50 international caps already.

He was superb against England, and also showed against Slovenia that he can get forward and knows where the goal is.

It's pretty easy to see why he has attracted the attention of a number of big clubs.

Team so far -

Given

Vidal
    Lucio
    x
    Maldini

x

Lampard
    Bradley

x
    Di Maria

Milito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

kuyt180706_228x199.jpg
    my next pick is the perfect pick for my formation and gives me great balance. He also is a big game player and scores vital goals for the team. He may not be the prettiest or silkiest fookballer but he sure is very damn effective.

team so far

GK

Mertsaker
    CB
    RB
    Clichy

veron
    Sweinsteiger

Kuyt
    Platini
    Ronaldinho

Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

BRUNO ALVES

PortugalvAlbaniaFIFA2010WorldCupQua.jpg

I'm glad to get this guy to complete my backline. The Porto defender establised himself as a first choice centre half for his country during the qualification campaign for South Africa. His emergence saw Pepe pushed into a holding midfield role for the Portugese.

In the 8 games that Alves started the Portugese kept 6 clean sheets and conceded just 2 goals. He has also started both of Portugals games so far in the finals, with another 2 clean sheets recorded.

The right-footed defender is also a danger in the opposition box, with 2 goals during qualifying, including the vital winner in the 1-0 away victory against Bosnia & Herzegovnia in the first leg of the playoff for South Africa. Alves has 5 goals in 28 international appearances and a remarkable 13 goals in 118 appearances for Porto.

The tough-tackiling defender has been linked with a £15 million transfer away from Porto, with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona and Real Madrid all reportedly chasing his signature.

He will form a rock-solid partnership with Giorgio Chiellini at the heart of my defence.

Team to date:
    1. Petr Cech (4)
    2. Gregory van der Wiel (6)
    3. Ashley Cole (3)
    4. Giorgio Chiellini (2)
    5. Bruno Alves (8)
    8. Mark van Bommel (5)
    9. Eusebio (7)
    10. Cesc Fabregas (1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Elano Ralph Blumer

article-0-03677363000005DC-159_468x360.jpg

I'm surprised and thrilled at Round 8 to be able to pick one of the mainstays of the number one ranked team in the world, who I think will be a great addition to my team, Elano.

I felt I needed to have a creative midfield presence in the centre of the pitch, but also someone who could adapt to the defensive formation I require. With that said, who better to go for than a man who has to be both creative, and yet at the same disciplined, for Dunga in Brazil's team.

Yes it's true he has had mixed fortunes in England after his explosive start to life there but it should be noted that, prior to his move to Galatasaray, he still managed 28 games for Man City in the Premiership with 6 goals and 3 assists.

Let's also not forget this is a World Cup Draft and at international level Elano has done very well for himself. 44 caps and 9 goals is a very respectable haul and I can't recall seeing him have too many bad games when playing for Brazil. He has done pretty well so far in the current World Cup playing both games and scoring a goal. He is one of Dunga's favourites no doubt.

With Elano in my team my formation now looks like this:

___________________Lloris____________________

________________Beckenbauer______________

_____X_______Puyol________Samuel_________X

_______________Elano____Song__________________

________X______________________Arshavin_____

_________________Drogba____________________

Obviously Elano will have more license to get forward than this formation shows as he will join Arshavin and Drogba more than Song will.

As I said above I needed a creative midfielder in the centre who could also stay disciplined as I intend Beckenbauer to be allowed roam forward from time to time. When Beckenbauer gets forward, Elano will be instructed to curb his attacking instincts. Due to his role with Brazil I think he will be able to handle this responsiblity.

Pick 1: Didier Drogba
    Pick 2: Carles Puyol
    Pick 3: Walter Samuel
    Pick 4: Andrei Arshavin
    Pick 5: Hugo Lloris
    Pick 6: Alex Song
    Pick 7: Franz Beckenbauer
    Pick 8: Elano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Round 8 – Pick 156

Giovanni van Bronckhorst

Gio_van_Bronckhorst_Holland_Italy_Front.jpg

The amount of quality full backs left in the draft are dwindling quickly and I spent a lot of yesterday shitting myself every time I logged in hoping he wasn’t gone as the pool of left backs left after Gio isn’t great imo. Van Bronckhorst brings experience and leader ship to my back line, having amassed 101 caps for the Oranje (reaching his century with their first WC group game against Denmark this year) he is still their 1st. choice left back. He is no stranger to major tournaments having played at three World cups and 3 European Championships.

Not only does he have a lot of international experience but he has also proven himself at the top levels of European football with stints at Rangers, Arsenal and Barcelona as well as two stints at Feyenoord, beginning and most likely ending his career there. Not only is Gio a solid left back but he also provides a good attacking threat down my left hand side and most importantly, is technically gifted and has a decent range of passing.
    Netherlands+v+France+Group+C+Euro2008+x_VwGSNRawRm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I'll try update this later but I suppose its high time I got myself a netminder

stekelenburg-103104-ajaxnl.jpg

Maarten Stekelenburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My 8th pick is Tiago Mendes

_40401111_mendes200_getty.jpg

Delighted to get him.

He was great in his first year at Chelsea following a big money move, but Essien's arrival limited his opportunities. He then went on to be a vital part of a top Lyon side, who continued their dominance of French football. Mourinho admitted later that letting Tiago leave Chelsea had been a mistake. He's been capped 53 times for Portugal, and this is his second appearance at the world cup.

Still only 29, he's an excellent, balanced midfielder. He'll work hard and stay disciplined in his positioning, alongside the more rampaging, box-to-box style of Darren Fletcher. But he also brings an excellent passing range and will add even more creativity to my side. He'll keep things ticking over in midfield.

My side so far:

X

-X
    Juan
    X
    Evra-

Tiago
    Fletcher

Ozil
    Gourcuff
    Ronaldo

Puskas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

with Xavi orchestrating everything from the middle of the park, I now turn my attention to someone who will sit in beside him.

he will provide stability, discipline and experience, as well as big game experience in big teams on a consistent basis.

with that I give you the Brazilian captain...
    Gilberto Silva

Gilberto_Silva_brasil.jpg

he's past his absolute best, but at 33, he is still deemed good enough to be part of the Brazilian engine room.

he'll sit, tackle, and keep things ticking over nicely, and won't let anyone down. as i say, he has big match experience to rival most, and of course was part of that Arsenal 'Invincibles' side.

why Arsenal let him go, I think they're still trying to figure it out.

?
    ?
    Terry
    Nesta
    Salcido
    Gilberto Silva

Xavi
    Krasic
    Maradona
    ?
    Anelka

the formation could still change slightly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

SwedenvSpainGroupEuro2008Oh2LpV_ksdMl.jpg

Carlos Marchena is a player who I feel deserved to be picked earlier in this draft. An aggressive, experienced international who can play in both the heart of defence and the heart of midfield. Here's why I think he's a good pick:
    • Having recently lost his place to Piqùe, I felt that I could afford to leave him go a few rounds because he wasn't in the spotlight as much, despite having more international experience than the Barcelona man;
    • He was a fixture of the Spanish XI which won Euro 2008, earning a place in the FIFA Team of the Tournament;
    • He has 59 caps for Spain, and holds the current record of featuring in 52 consecutive undefeated games;
    • He's the captain of Valencia who finished 3rd in La Liga this season;
    • His ability to play at either centre half or in central midfield gives me options as we come towards the end of the draft;
    • He can do this:

• Advertisement

mark_schwarzer2_415x275.jpg

I need a 'keeper before they all disappear, so I'm picking the vastly experienced Mark Schwarzer.

At club level we're all familiar with Schwarzer as followers of the Premier League. Having been a model of consistency for Middlesbrough for 11 years, the Australian has arguably produced his finest football since moving to Fulham. In his first season with the Londoners he won the Player of the Year award, keeping ten clean sheets and helping Fulham to finish 7th.

At international level, his experience is underlined by the fact that he made his debut for Australia in a 1994 World Cup Qualifier and has gone on to earn 77 caps, and is now playing in his second World Cup.

right, this was tough. i had a pick in mind, but this guy just came flashing into my head at the last minute, thanks to Necro's pick. and i had to snap him up to complete my front 6.

his name...
    Tim Cahill

cahill.jpg
    Premier League fans will know him well, and he is going to add a unique to dimension to my attack, which up to now is mainly about elegance. Cahill will bring a bit of bullishness, a bit of fire and something a bit different.

renowned for his ability to come from midfield, he has matured into a position just off the front man, now that Fellaini has become the dominant man in the Everton midfield.

but my main plan will be to have him just off Maradona (in a free role), who in turn will play off Anelka. this adds to my team's bite in midfield, while also not taking away Cahill's tendencies to get into the box. the plan is for fluidity between Xavi, Maradona, Anelka, Cahill and Krasic.

he gets goals, has endless energy, and on top of all that, is a gem at set-piece time, belying his size with a phenomenal amount of headed goals.

proud to add him to my team....roughly looking like this....

?
    ?
    Terry
    Nesta
    Salcido
    Gilberto Silva

Xavi
    Krasic
    Cahill
    Maradona
    Anelka

My 9th pick is Joseph Yobo

yobo_38989t.jpg

He was David Moyes first ever signing for Everton, and at £1m what a signing he’s proved to be. He’s been one of the most consistent and underrated centre backs in the premier league over the last 7 or 8 seasons. He’s also been at the heart of Nigeria’s defense for the last decade – appearing in two world cups and making 69 appearances for his country. He is also their current captain.

X

-X
    Juan
    Yobo
    Evra-

Fletcher---Tiago

Ozil
    Gourcuff
    Ronaldo---

Puskas

Once again I dont think he's been picked,done a search and nowt came up.

james-milner.jpg

James Milner

Milner is a a tenacious player who's ability to play on the wingor in the centre of the park will benefit my team.The PFA young player of the year has even played Right back for his club should I need him!

Stekelenburg

Dani Alves
    Ramos
    CB
    Heinze

Milner
    Ballack
    LM

Robinho
    Cruyff

David Villa

Round 9 - Pick 165

Raul Meireles

brun_280x390_931664a.jpg

I've chosen Meireles for this draft because of his versatility. He is capable of playing a defensive midfield role sitting in front of the back 4 and acting as an extra layer of protection and can also take on a more rounded central midfield role acting as a box-to-box midfielder. On top of his tough tackling and work rate his passing and long range shots are a big bonus to my team. Having a cultured midfielder such as Meireles sitting deep and spraying balls to my front four will help to keep my team ticking over and he is esstablished at recycling ball and getting an attack launched once more.

Aleksandar Kolarov

4f1c7acd-0790-430f-9d82-f4a212abe15b.jpg

As it's a while until my next go I'm going to sort out one of my full-back positions - in this case the left-back slot - and I feel I need to act now to secure this guy. Aleksandar Kolarov is one of the best young left-back prospects in the game today and has reportedly been attracting interest from such clubs as Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Man City and Liverpool in the past few weeks and months.

This past season he has played 38 times for Lazio, scoring 4 goals and providing 3 assists. He is known for having a hugely powerful and accurate left foot, good crossing ability and being a danger from set-pieces. Lazio fans refer to him as the Serbian Roberto Carlos and he has drawn comparisons to fellow countryman Siniša Mihajlović. In fact he altered his squad number from number 3 to number 11, just like his idol Mihajlović.

Going forward he is a major threat and scored a brilliant solo goal for Lazio against derby opponents Roma which you can see here:

As for international level, Kolarov featured in the Serbia under-21 side which reached the final of the 2007 U-21 Championships in Holland and was named in the Team of the Tournament. During Serbia's 2010 World Cup qualifiers he established himself as first-choice left-back and has started both of Serbia's World Cup games so far, playing well in both, particularly against Germany.

He is a hot commodity in the game and I'd be very surprised if he's not playing for a top club in the near future. At Round 9 he represents a great pick imo. You can see more on him here:

Kolarov has plenty of energy, is tough as nails like all Serb defenders, can cross well, pass well and is a danger from long range. His strong work ethic will be important for my system which requires exactly that.

Formation now looks as follows:

________________Beckenbauer________________

_____X_______Puyol________Samuel_________Kolarov

________X______________________Arshavin_____

_________________Drogba____________________

Pick 9: Aleksandar Kolarov

CLINT DEMPSEY

CLINT_DEMPSEY_280x3_837058a.jpg

The USA and Fulham star will add another goalscoring threat to my midfield. Dempsey has 19 international goals from 64 appearances. In his 3 and a half seasons at Fulham, the American has contributed 24 goals. He was a key figure in the Cottagers run to the Europa League Final last season.

Dempsey will track back and work hard for the team, and his versatility allows me to be flexible with my formation.

Team so far:

Cech
    van der Wiel -- Bruno Alves -- Chiellini -- A. Cole
    Fabregas -- van Bommel -- Dempsey----
    Eusebio

Round 9 - Steven Pienaar

.jpeg

With so few quality out and out wingers available, I've gone for a guy who plays there regularly at club football, and will be allowed to 'drift' in my team if the situation permits.

The 28 year old is a product of the Ajax youth academy and now flaunts his bags of talent in the Premiership with Everton. Indeed, the Toffees have just offered him a deal to become the highest paid player in the club's history.

An absolute brgain of a signing for just £2 million, Pienaar is seen as a massive role model at home in South Africa.

Team so far -

Given

Vidal
    Lucio
    x
    Maldini

x

Lampard
    Bradley

Pienaar
    Di Maria

Milito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

demichelis.jpg

I decided the arge centre half is the perfect partner for mertsaker in the centre of my defence, he is a very solid player and a very good pick for so late in the game.

Martín Gastón Demichelis (born 20 December 1980 in Justiniano Posse, Córdoba) is an Argentine footballer who plays as a centre back for Bayern Munich. He was also a defensive midfielder before Ottmar Hitzfeld chose to employ his defensive prowess more as a center back. His skills as a midfielder make him a ball-player from the back, often bringing the ball forward and showing good comfortable ball possession.

so far so good and was delighted to see xavi didnt rob him on me;)

Surprised he's lasted this long. A quality, no nonsense CB who will take down any Centre Forward on his day. His partnership with Alex at the back is a good foundation for my team.

martin-skrtel.jpg
    Howard

x
    Skrtel
    Alex
    x

Yaya Toure --- Iniesta

Elia --- Aguero --- Gervinho

Shearer (C)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

article_diaby.jpg

A player who on his day can hold up a midfield. Hasn't had the best form, but I'm confident he would play well in my team. I've done a search and he didn't come up, so I pick Abou Diaby for my World Cup XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Gareth Barry

gareth%20barry.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

30983_news.jpg

Young and promising full back Domenico Criscito becomes the latest member of my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Felipe Melo

Im back strengthening up my already solid midfield and thought Id swoop for this fella if nobody else wants him :rolleyes:

Felipe-Melo-001.jpg

Regular starter for both Juventus and Brazil and although he is under appreciated at Juventus a move this summer to the likes of Inter or Arsenal could help him flourish as we have already seen taking a few steps outside Juventus to play for his country he has already returned to prove why he was so highly regarded in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Simao Sabrosa

simao-sabrosa.jpg

Some will argue that he never quite became the player he could have. This is a fair criticism, but if he had maximised his talent he would have been taken in the first 3 rounds of this process. He remains a threat at the very highest levels of the game, capable of beating fullbacks and providing good delivery or coming inside to link play or score himself.

Team Thus Far:

X

Baresi (C)
    Carvalho

Zanetti
    X

Mascherano

Park Ji Sung
    Stankovic
    Simao

Kaka

Frei

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I already have a left-back, but considering both guys have played as wingers before,both are very good defenders and both are very capable of beating others with their speed.

So,I'll select,one of the best players in the WC so far

Fabio Coentrao

Benfica+v+Portsmouth+Guimaraes+Trophy+rIgJgydtYiTm.jpg

With him and Capdevila on the left hand side,I'll possess pace,a strong defensive game against the myriad of strong right-hand sided players in the game, and the ability to deliver good balls into the box for Luis Fabiano and Dzeko.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I was going for Fabio Coentrao before Titan nicked him away from my grasp. However after reviewing the situation I was amazed to stumble upon this fellow. I present to you Pedro Rodriguez Ledesma.

FC+Barcelona+v+Real+Racing+Club+de+Santander+8dDQOs_D67ql.jpg

This season Pedro set a record never before achieved as he scored in all 6 competitions he played in. He rose through the Barcelona team rapidly this season having been a part player last season. He was first choice winger and can play on either wing, just like my other winger Franck Ribery.He completed the 2009-10 season with 53 appearances in all competitions (31 starts) and 23 goals. Pedro is a very talented footballer and highly rated in Barcelona and clearly highly rated by Vicente del Bosque as he saw it fitting to include him in Spain's world cup team following his magnificent season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Im fiarly certain this guy has not been taken shich surprises me considering he has been constantley linked with clubs like Man Utd & Arsenal so far this summer but most reports claim that a 25m asking price has been slapped on his head and has so far kept those clubs at bay. Along with his international team mate Branislav Isanovic infront of Casillas I will have a pairing that will not only hopefully have a good understanding of each others game but also unlike many of my oponents will speak the same first language, so i give you my 9th rd draft....
    Neven Subotic
    neven-subotic.jpg

Iker Casillas

???
    Ivanovic
    Subotic
    ???

Gattuso
    Riquelme

Camronesi
    Bergkamp
    Henry

Gonzalo Higuain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ibrahim Affelay

affelay.png

No time for a write up, sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Honda Keisuke

Japan+v+Qatar+2010+FIFA+World+Cup+Asian+Qualifier+-z5aP2T8oLcl.jpg

Keisuke Honda

I was raving about this guy before the World Cup, he is a fantastic playmaker and he hasn't disappointed on the World stage. I expect that he will be the subject of a lot of transfer speculation after the World Cup. CSKA have been known for taking gambles on players who might make it big and they got a real bargain with this lad for €6 million back in December. I expect to see the rumours flying as soon as the World Cup ends. I'm also getting one of the best free kick takers in the World with this pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mauricio Isla Isla

228617.png

balotelli_isla.jpg

Mauricio Isla

One of the most impressive right backs at the World Cup this year. He is only 22 years of age and was brilliant for Undinese last season. He loves to get forward and he had 8 assists in Serie A last year. He first hit the headlines at the Under 20 World Cup when he was the star of the show and is reported to have carried Chile to 3rd place pretty much by himself. After watching him play for Chile in the first two games of this World Cup I have no doubt he is going to be around for a long time to come and will be a star for many years to come. He is already being linked with a move to Roma this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Klaas Jan Huntelaar

huntelaar71.jpg

With the amount of creativity from Baggio, Robben, Malouda, Pirlo and Affelay, all I need from my striker is someone to finish the chances they present, and there are few better finishers than Klaas Jan Huntelaar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

off to bed now so ill not do too much of a write up infact its mostly a copy and past job....
    Joris Mathijisen

1721466962-11092009095153.jpg

Mathijsen was ever present for the Oranje during the 2010 World Cup qualifying. He played more minutes than any other player in the Dutch squad and played a key role in their record of having conceded the fewest goals in their qualifying group. He can also be played at either LB or CB so gives me further options when considering my last defensive selection in the next rd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Time to shore up the centre of my defence. Quality centre halves are becoming increasingly thin on the ground and with that I'm delighted to announce my 10th pick, Diego Godin of Villareal and Uruguay.

France+v+Uruguay+International+Friendly+DDvgZ8RVoYGl.jpg

Not many people will recognise him from his picture but he is an excellent defender. 40 caps for his country and still only 24. He's going to be a rock at the back witht Pepe. Himself an Pepe compliment each other perfectly, Pepe the man marker, Godin the leader in the air.

Godin is 6ft 1in (1.85m) and is a rock in Spanish side Villarreal’s defence, missing only two La Liga games this season as the club finished seventh. He made his professional debut with Montevideo-based Club Atletico Cerro in 2003 before moving on to Uruguay powerhouses Nacional in 2006, where he quickly became club captain at the age of 20. After just one season he was snapped up by Villarreal.

This man is a future captain of his country, of that I've no doubt. Has come off the back of another excellent season at Villareal and has been an integral dimension of the as of yet unbreached Uruguay defence at this world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

After Godin just going before my pick, I'll change position and take a goalkeeper.Buffon rates him as one of the best keepers in the world and through the European Qualification section and the WC, he's proved his undoubted quality.

I'll take

Samir Handanovic

England+v+Slovenia+International+friendly+MKvacB4FqIJl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Victor Valdes

Victor-Valdes.jpg

Valdes would be starting for most teams at this world cup. He is just unfortunate to have two of the very best in the world holding Spanish passports. He has been an integral part of the success Barcelona have enjoyed during recent seasons. A gifted shot stopper who is reliable at the other aspects of the game at the highest level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Salomon Kalou

Actually decided to rearrange my whole team based on the fact that I recently realised he is still available, at this stage of the game this is astonishing and Im one of bunch that hate people saying 'I can't believe he wasn't picked yet'frankly up until now its done my nut in, but all the same Im glad to pick this fella up at this late stage of the game even if it means changing my whole formation to suit ;)

Salomon-Kalou-Chelsea-CFR-Cluj-Champions-Leag_1603830.jpg

Unbelievabley im able to pick up one of Chelsea and Ivory Coasts top performers at this stage of the game, and I know its forced me to change my formation but this fella is worth it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Going for a solid right back from a team famed for its solid defence.

200px-Arne_Friedrich_-_Hertha_BSC_Berlin_%281%29.jpg

Arne Friedrich

Great right back at this stage. Top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Joe Hart

England+U21+v+Azerbaijan+U21+International+9wUTyIMbMEFl.jpg

Probably the best English keeper there is atm,in the form of his life.
    A good keeper will be extremely valuable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

article-1287922-0A191457000005DC-742_306x423.jpg

The USA captain, Bocanegra is another versatile player and can neutralise almost any striker.

• Advertisement

Usually an attacking full back for Porto, he is a talented Left back who has been linked with various clubs in England. In the game against Mexico we saw a little bit extra emphasis on defending from Fucile compared to against South Africa where Uruguay came out attacking, and definitely extra impressive this time that he was the first defender to keep Mexico's Dos Santos, who has been in great form, largely under control. He can slot in at right back or left back which will suit me now that I just need a full back to complete my team.

fucilemex.jpg

Round 10 - Diego Perez

1136976_full-lnd.jpg

Time to add a midfield enforcer to my side and few have been more impressive so far in this tournament than Uruguay star Diego Perez.

The 30 year old plys his trade with Monaco in France and has over half a century of caps to his name.

He will act as the holding midfielder in my central unit of three, allowing Bradley and Lampard to push on.

On behalf of Redzerdrog:

THOMAS SORENSEN

article-0-0569F9FA0000044D-229_468x279.jpg

The Stoke City and Denmark netminder has 90 international caps, but no goals to his name :cool:

THOMAS MULLER

1185937_large.jpg

The youngest player since Pele to score multiple knock-out round goals at a World Cup, the 20 year old German has also started a Champions League Final in his short career. Muller has scored 20 goals for Bayern Munich in 57 appearances and already has 3 goals and 3 assists at the World Cup.

Team so far:
    1. Petr Cech
    2. Gregory van der Wiel
    3. Ashley Cole
    4. Giorgio Chiellini
    5. Bruno Alves
    7. Thomas Muller
    8. Mark van Bommel
    9. Eusebio
    10. Cesc Fabregas
    11. Clint Dempsey

Lee Chung-Yong

1276085004-Lee_Chung_Yong.jpg

I'm going to act now to bring this guy into my team as I'll be heartbroken if I miss out on him. I'm sure I'm not the only one who became a big fan of Lee when seeing him this past season at Bolton where he performed brilliantly. Unsurprisingly he was named Bolton's Player of the Year in only his first year at the club and he has reportedly been linked with a move to Liverpool. I'm sure he will continue to be linked with big clubs in the future.

At international level Lee earned plaudits for his role in Korea's U-20 World Cup campaign in 2007 and has gone on from there to earn 30 caps for his country. At this World Cup he has bagged 2 goals in 4 appearances and he is still only 21. I predict big things for this guy if he continues to perform the way he has done so far. Here's a reminder of how he took to the Premier League in 2010 and what he is capable of:

I'm pleased to add Lee Chung-Yong to my ranks and I hope others will appreciate his worth as much as I do. His role in my team is to try and feed Drogba when he can, and to work hard when other teams have the ball which my system requires. He has great workrate so I don't think that's a problem.

My formation now looks as follows:

________________Beckenbauer________________

_____X_______Puyol________Samuel_________Kolarov

____Lee C. Y.______________________Arshavin_____

__________________Drogba____________________

Pick 9: Aleksandar Kolarov
    Pick 10: Lee Chung-Yong

Round 10 - Pick 196

Emmanuel Eboué

x610.jpg

I've gone with Eboué to finish my defence, slotting him in at right back, for a number of reasons. His athleticism is going to be very important on the right hand side and anyone trying to get down that channel will find it tough getting past VDV and then himself. He also has the pace to match nearly any striker in this draft so balls over the top aren't going to be a problem for him to deal with. It also allows me to put Heitinga in a more central position where his ball winning skills will nicely compliment Pique's sweeping in behind him.

Eboués last club season didn't go great and he ended up being subbed off after being subbed on by Wenger. This season however has seen of renaissance of Eboué's play and he has firmly become a fan favourite at the Emirates. His versatility for both club and country was another factor which came into me making this decision, he is predominantly used as a right back but is perfectly adept at playing right midfield so if my team is pushing for a goal Emmanuel can push up to support.

He also does awesome dances:

Needed a CB to finish off my backline so gone for England's goal scorer yesterday Matty Upson

matthew-upson-to-replace-jamie-carragher-for-slovenia-game--$7030604$300.jpg

One of struggling West Ham's better performers last season,their captain is good in the air and should complement Dani Alves,Ramos and Heinze in my defence

My 10th pick, and completing my outfield lineup is Geremi

_44417487_geremi_ap220.jpg

There aren't many RB's left, but the versatile Geremi will be a fantastic addition to my backline.

He has a massive 116 caps to his name for Cameroon, and this is his second world cup. Furthermore he has won 2 African Cup of Nations and an Olympic gold medal. That's not even touching upon his club achievements, which include champions league glory with Madrid as well as domestic titles in England and Spain.

A strong, athletic, versatile player, with bags of experience. Delighted.

X

Geremi
    Juan
    Yobo
    Evra

Fletcher (c)
    Tiago

Ozil
    Goucuff
    Ronaldo

Puskas

after that, to be honest, quite embarrassing mishap, I give you a keeper who I have noticed in this tournament, and bar one hap-hazard venture off his line against South Korea which cost him, has been exemplary, earning himself 3 clean sheets during the group stages. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been taken...
    Fernando Muslera

NEWS_1233674285_muslera.jpg

The Lazio and Urguguay goalkeeper is a mere spring chicken at 24, but has already cemented his place as no.1 at both club and international level.

his breakthrough season came in the 2008-09 season when he was part of a Copa Italia winning Lazio team. His season was such a success, that despite Lazio's purchase of a new keeper, he has kept his position in the team quite easily.

At this World Cup he has been a solid last line of defence, behind one of the meanest defences in the competition.

We'll be seeing this man in a few World Cup Drafts to come.

Muslera
    ?
    Terry
    Nesta
    Salcido
    Gilberto Silva

Xavi
    Krasic
    Cahill

Maradona

Anelka

....or something like that ;)

1109nx5d9sg7p4fy.jpg

I need a midfield enforcer. Admittedly I had been lining up Diego Perez to fill this position, but in missing out on him I'm happy to take someone with the pedigree of Juventus' Christian Poulsen.

At club level, my knowledge of the Dane is based on his tenure at Sevilla. In his first season he helped the La Liga club to win the European Super Cup, the Copa del Rey and the Uefa Cup. He was a really good player for Sevilla, before moving to Juventus in 2008. Now I don't really watch Serie A so I can't comment on his time there; I've read that he hasn't quite replicated that form, although according to his profile on Juve's site, he was one of the better players in a disappointing season.

At international level, he was an ever-present for Denmark in qualifying for 2010. He has a total of 77 caps for the Danes, continuing my pattern of experienced internationals. A tough-tackling, aggressive, and by all accounts model professional central midfielder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement