Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Picks Thread *NO DISCUSSION*

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

286481.jpg

I'm finishing my team with a thus far ever-present for an impressive Uruguay team: Maximiliano Pareira. I must say he's a player who I don't know too much about; beyond his performances in the World Cup so far anyway, which have been enough to warrant a place in the draft. An attacking right-back with 41 international caps, he completes my back-line and team.

My final team:

M.Schwarzer

M.Pareira
    F.Cannavaro
    C.Marchena
    P.Lahm-

C.Poulsen
    S.Keita

Z.Zidane(c)

L.Messi
    M.Rodriguez

D.Forlan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

and, i finish my team with a player all us PL followers will be very familiar with. he is a player who has improved immeasurably over the last two years under Hodgson's tutilage, and i would hazard a guess is one of the first names on the Fulham teamsheet.

he's strong, quick, can play at RB or CB, he is...
    John Pantsil

UF_ghana_062306.jpg

he's been capped over 60 times for his country, and needless to say has been an integral part of his country's march to the quarter finals, and with a realistic chance of making it to the semis.

he provides defensive strength, as well as energy to get up and down supporting Krasic in attack.

i consider him wonderful value at this stage.

My Finished Line-Up:

Muslera
    Pantsil
    Terry
    Nesta
    Salcido
    Gilberto Silva

Xavi
    Krasic
    Cahill

Maradona

Anelka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My final pick is David James

0,,12306~5345407,00.jpg

Hugely experienced and with over 50 caps for England. Although he’s still prone to the odd error (what keeper isn’t?), he’s definitely gotten better with age. Despite a pretty disastrous World Cup campaign, all things considered he was one of England’s best players.

David James

Geremi
    Juan
    Joseph Yobo
    Patrice Evra

Darren Fletcher
    Tiago

Mesut Ozil
    Yoann Gourcuff
    Cristiano Ronaldo---

Ferenc Puskas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

One word I've been using quite alot about my team is versatility.I brought in James Milner to play on the right wing,but I'm going to move him into the centre and replace him with

Jesus+Navas+12.jpg

Jesus Navas

His quickness and ability to run at defenders,he can also play on the left should he be needed.He has been supplying quality to strikers his whole Sevilla career and has won 2 Uefa Cup medals and aswell as two Cope del Rey's,scoring the winner this season.He has consistently linked with bigger clubs and I'm sure it wont be too long before he moves on.

Final team

Stekelenburg

Dani Alves
    Sergio Ramos
    Upson
    Heinze

Milner
    Ballack

Navas
    Cruyff

Robinho

David Villa

Happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I've had somewhat of an eventful night and not arsed doing a write up so I present to you Sulley Muntari, the tough tackler who will complete my midfield.

1211045185_spt_ai_cardiff_v_portsmouth_facup_46.jpg

I have chosen Sulley Muntari to complete my midfield as he is exactly the type of player that is going to compliment my more attacking front four. The plan is for him to sit in the middle and act as a solid shield in front of the back four along with Meireles. Neither however will be playing as the ‘Anchorman’ central midfielder that sees them remain solidly in front of the back four. Rather their job will be to patrol the centre of the park for chances to dispossess the opposition and Muntari certainly has the athleticism for that.

Trophy cabinet:

Portsmouth
    • FA Cup: 2008

Internazionale
    • Supercoppa Italiana: 2008
    • Serie A: 2008–09, 2009–10
    • Coppa Italia: 2009–10
    • UEFA Champions League: 2009–10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Stephan Lichtsteiner

_44738922_lichtsteinertur_getty.jpg

Surprisingly, unless I'm mistaken, this is the first Swiss defender to be taken in the Draft. Defensively the Swiss did very well in this World Cup. Two clean sheets (including one against Spain which earned many plaudits) and only one goal conceded against Chile. The defender I'm taking played his part in those performances with some solid outings. He is another Lazio full-back to join my left-back Aleksandar Kolarov. His name is is Stephan Lichtsteiner.

I've had this guy on my shortlist for several rounds. Why? Well I need full-backs with energy for my system and Lichtsteiner is nicknamed "Forrest Gump" by the Lazio fans for his non-stop running. He won the Coppa Italia for Lazio in his first season with the club and has been a regular ever since. A lot of clubs are rumoured to be interested in him and if you believe his agent, Inter also if Maicon moves on.

At international level Lichsteiner has amassed over 30 caps and been first-choice right-back since Euro 2008 playing in all the Swiss games. He played in eight of Switzerland's ten 2010 World Cup qualifiers and featured in all of their World Cup games. I actually sat through Switzerland's match with Honduras (scouting work ;)) and I thought he impressed in attack and defence. He can be used as a right-winger too apparently so that's handy for when he gets forward.

I now have two Lazio full-backs in my team and despite the club not having a great season, they still had the sixth best defensive record in Serie A according to my research so having two sought-after full-backs can't be bad going seeing as I picked them so late in the game. Solidity and energy is what I was going for in those areas and I think I have that.

My final formation looks as follows:

_____________________Lloris_________________

__________________Beckenbauer (c)______________

_Lichtsteiner_____Puyol____Samuel________Kolarov

________________Elano___A. Song_______________

_Lee Chung-Yong_______________________Arshavin__

____________________Drogba__________________

Pick 1: Didier Drogba
    Pick 2: Carles Puyol
    Pick 3: Walter Samuel
    Pick 4: Andrei Arshavin
    Pick 5: Hugo Lloris
    Pick 6: Alex Song
    Pick 7: Franz Beckenbauer
    Pick 8: Elano
    Pick 9: Aleksandar Kolarov
    Pick 10: Lee Chung-Yong
    Pick 11: Stephan Lichtsteiner

That concludes my involvement in the selection phase. I think I'm the only one utilising a sweeper system so I look forward to the match-up that awaits. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

DIDIER ZOKORA

didier_zokora_ivory_coast240b.jpg

Didier Zokora is his country's most capped player with 89 caps to his name. The 29-year old will bring experience to my midfield. Along with van Bommel he will protect my back four, while both will have license to roam forward when the oppurtunity arises. Known as "The Maestro" in the Ivory Coast, Zokora is a tough-tackling defensive midfielder, with pace and energy in abundance.

Team:

Cech
    --van der Wiel
    Bruno Alves
    Chiellini
    A.Cole--
    Zokora
    van Bommel

Muller
    Fabregas
    Dempsey---
    Eusebio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

guy-demel-32277219.jpg

this is the final piece of my team i give you the ivory coast and hamburg Right back Guy Demel. He is strong and athletic and also has the ability to play a bit of ball. he started off as a CM but has really excelled since moving to right back.

team is

sorenson

Dimichelis
    Mertersaker
    Demel
    clichy

veron
    schweinsteiger

platini(c)
    kuyt
    ronaldinho
    torres

will do a write up and put it into this11 when the time comes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Round 11 - Nadir Belhadj

bel-280.jpg

This surprisingly ended up being one of the most difficult choices I had to make in the whole draft. I had four good candidates for left back but in the end it was Belhadj's ability going forward that swung things in his favour.

The Portsmouth man really impressed in a struggling side last year and that form carried into the World Cup where I thought he was superb against England in particular.

He is a solid left back with a great left foot and I think he would link up well with Di Maria on that flank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Benoit%20Assou-EkottoWS.jpg

A regular for Spurs and Cameroon, this man completes my team. He's a solid Left Back with a fierce shot a decent cross to go along with it.
    Howard

Alex
    Skrtel

Assou-Ekotto
    Fucile

Yaya Toure
    Iniesta

Elia
    Gervinho

Aguero

Shearer (c)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

bendtner2-415x275.jpg

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that he has been left unpicked until now, but as an Arsenal fan in need of a forward, I can hardly overlook Nicklas Bendtner! 12 goals in 35 appearances for his country and arguably a great season behind him with Arsenal, Bendtner provides good height and strength in the striker position. I proudly welcome another fellow Gooner into my World Cup XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Nilmar Honorato da Silva

091114brasil-inglaterra_f_027.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Finishing off my team with a first choice international keeper and league winner. Goal keeper for the meanest defence in World Cup history (longest time without conceding I think!)

Swiss number 1, Wolfsburg number 1...

Diego BENAGLIO

benaglio_neu.jpg

Actually really happy to have left this pick till last, and still been able to pick him up. Very good keeper and will only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Raul Albiol

Im going for Spains second choice right back to complete my defence and team, until he was recently displaced by Gerard Pique Albiol held a solid defensive partnership with Puyol at the back for Spain.

albiol1.jpg

It would be a shame to finish off this draft without picking this fella despite being displaced by Gerard Pique whom nobody can argue with but for club and country he has already proved his merits on the back of a solid season for Real Madrid.

Now that Ive completed the drraft I may aswell reveal my formation for the first time:

Julio Ceasar

Carragher----Ferdinand
    Raul Albiol--

---Sergio Busquets
    Felipe Melo

Steven Gerrard

-Alexis Sanchez
    Kalou----

Van Basten
    Luis Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Stephen Warnock

0,,10303~3752311,00.jpg

Solid dependable full back. Will do a job at the highest level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think I'm up now as over 24 hours have passed since the last pick, so I'll finish off my team with my last defender.

John Mensah

johnmensah.jpg

John Mensah has been Ghana’s regular captain over the last two years and the rugged backbone of the team,he is regarded as one of the best African defenders in football and is known for his intelligence on the pitch which has earned him the moniker the ‘Rock of Gibraltar’or ‘The pillar of Hercules’ due to his physical strength.

Also,if a fight breaks out on the pitch,I reckon he'll kill anyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

My final pick and to fill my left back position is Jerome Boateng of Man City and Germany.

boateng_HA_Sport_Ah_119691c.jpg

There isn't a huge amount of left backs left but I have been quite impressed by his performences at this world cup. He has been very solid and James Milner saw very little of the ball last sunday. Arsenal were sniffing around him last season and Man City felt the need to snap him up quickly before the world cup for £10 million.

Now I know some people are going to make the point that this is a world cup draft and he has no pedigree. But if you compare him to Patrice Evra, who was a third round pick, he has far greater world cup achievements. He has already reached a world cup quarter final and is part of an exceptional young Germany side who have set the world cup alight. Compare this with Evra who was the ringleader as France hit the self destruct button and imploded at the world cup. Therefore I am quite happy to have picked up Boateng at this late stage.

And here's my team.

1278016245461973.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

On behalf of Bounty Hunter:

my last pick will be another versatile defender, one who can play all along the backline and this season proved how good a defender he is by displacing Philippe Mexes in the Giallorossi defence.

Nicolas Burdisso

BURDISSO_N_20040817_GH_L.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

My last pick would be Mexico's number 1 this summer were it not for a pre-tournament injury disrupting his preparations for the WC. Presenting the best young keeper in the world, Guillermo Ochoa. If you watch one video in this thread, make sure it's this one. You have never seen so many world class saves in your life.

guillermo_ochoa_seleccion_11.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Antolín Alcaraz Viveros

alcaraz.png

Antolin Alcaraz

What a bargain Wigan got signing this guy up before the World Cup. Alongside his partner and my other centreback Paolo da Silva he has been outstanding this World Cup. He has been exceptional in the air for Paraguay and I've been impressed by his awareness and physical presence. AC Milan, River Plate, Auxerre and Getafe were rumoured to want his signature this summer. He was an ever present the last two years for Club Brugge in the Jupiter League as they finished 3rd and then 2nd this past season. I'm delighted to get Antolin to add alongside Paolo da Silva at the heart of my defense. I loved this goal too, such a powerful header.

• Advertisement
Advertisement