Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So this whole Jtag thing...

Options
  • 03-06-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭

So a couple of months back I got docentore to Jtag up an xbox for me, which I havent used.. at all :(

So I'm going to make a go of it at the weekend. Ok firstly I have no idea whats on it at the moment, need to talk to docentore about that! But what should i be looking to put on it?

Im after ordering a 500gb 2.5" HD so I'll be filling that with, em, certain files for sure, but what else can i do with this bad boy? Any media player yet?

Oh, I also have the problem with my current xboxs save files, which are on a 60gb HD. Can i use my new xboxs memory (its an arcade) to save them even though its jtagged?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have XexMenu on mine, cant remember what version now as my 7 year old son uses it - not me :o

It works like a file browser/launcher. You can run xex's from within that, for example several of my "files" have xex's that launch the files exectuable. I also have several choices for fan speeds, e.g. 50%.xex, 60%.xex etc etc

Im not sure about media player wise yet, nor save games but I can def vouch for XexMenu

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Oh, I also have the problem with my current xboxs save files, which are on a 60gb HD. Can i use my new xboxs memory (its an arcade) to save them even though its jtagged?

Update your banned console to the latest dashboard using the system update files from xbox.com (put them on a memory stick, put into the USB port at the back, turn on console to update). The latest dashboard update uncripples the hard drive/signing problem, or so I've read.

Alternatively, hook up a nand reader and restore the security data if you can, that's what I did - it is extra work.

And yes, you can use those savegames on the homebrew console, you may have to re-sign them using CONsigner.

I'm running XBReboot myself, going perfect.

ISO2GOD is a nifty program to have, I've a few others but I'll get their names later :)

Sorry, meant to say Im running XBR (same as TV) as the dashboard, with XexMenu running when needed via the library.

Is there a newer XBR these days TV? I havnt changed mine since the jtag mod itself a few months ago...

EnterNow wrote: »
    Sorry, meant to say Im running XBR (same as TV) as the dashboard, with XexMenu running when needed via the library.

Is there a newer XBR these days TV? I havnt changed mine since the jtag mod itself a few months ago...

Nope, latest up on xbins is 8955. I do hope they come out with a new one at some stage, would like the USB functionality :)

freeBOOT is running the latest dashboard (2.0.9199.0) and apparently has "many more features than XBR3", though what these are isn't mentioned. Interestingly I notice there is an auto-update tool that upgrades from XBR to freeBoot using Xellous/Flash360 (homebrew apps) ..maybe there is a shift to freeBoot from XBR taking place and XBR will die off...
    Freeboot is much better than xbr3, even the authors of xbr would tell you that. xbr was about functionality, it wasn't pretty but it worked. Now that Freeboot is has single nand support xbr3 is out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

My console isn't banned, I'm selling it and need the data off it! I used to have the xbox HD reading tool that I got with the ck3 but I have no idea where it is!

Thanks for the advice, bank holiday sorted! Tv, in response to your pm, yup that would be great, on my iPod so too lazy to go to pm!

• Advertisement

Nope, latest up on xbins is 8955. I do hope they come out with a new one at some stage, would like the USB functionality :)

freeBOOT is running the latest dashboard (2.0.9199.0) and apparently has "many more features than XBR3", though what these are isn't mentioned. Interestingly I notice there is an auto-update tool that upgrades from XBR to freeBoot using Xellous/Flash360 (homebrew apps) ..maybe there is a shift to freeBoot from XBR taking place and XBR will die off...

Did/does freeboot need seperate hardware? I thought it was a seperate chip or something...

It seems that freeBOOT would be the better option, it's more up to date and it seems there is a paradigm shift towards it from XBReboot - support for USB drives/trusted storage is a side effect of being on the new dashboard nd is a definite positive for that version.

Freeboot used to need external stuff like chips, but since v0.31 (maybe earlier) you just need the single nand and thus it'll work on all jtag'd consoles.

@wmn: Cheers dude, I'll bring down my transfer cable so you can use it with Xplorer360 to take your files off the new console. Unless you want to update it to the latest dash and use any old USB stick :)

Cheers TV, I think Ill look into migrating to freeBOOT from XBR. Is it still the standard dash, or does it look entirely different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I did few boxes with new freeboot. Basically you need your original nand dump or XBR3 dump and CPU key.

There are few application to make the whole process easier and I have to say it is really easy.

For those who don't have their nand dump hardware soldered you will need to boot to Xell/Xellous and get download relevant files (use Firefox or Chrome!), built the image and then flash it either in Xellous or using Flash360 from the dash.

Did I gave your files whitnessmenow? If not let me know and I will upload them onto some server.

I think you did ok, I have a zip file from you that contains: Config_raw.bin fuses.txt(which has a cpu and DVD key in it), keyvault.bin and kevault_raw.bin

Do you have a link to a guide for freeboot?

• Advertisement

So What is Jtag ? ? ??

So What is Jtag ? ? ??

Basically it involves making some hardware modifications to the motherboard of your 360, which allow you to connect it to your pc and read the NAND memory to a file. This file is then patched (with XBR in my case), and re-flashed back onto the 360. You then have the ability to run unsigned code, use whatever hard drive you want, more or less total control over your 360.

Not every 360 is able to be jtaged however, as the june '09 update closed the xploit which allowed the jtag. There are several photo logs in a thread a page or two back which detail more or less the whole procedure.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Basically it involves making some hardware modifications to the motherboard of your 360, which allow you to connect it to your pc and read the NAND memory to a file. This file is then patched (with XBR in my case), and re-flashed back onto the 360. You then have the ability to run unsigned code, use whatever hard drive you want, more or less total control over your 360.

Not every 360 is able to be jtaged however, as the june '09 update closed the xploit which allowed the jtag. There are several photo logs in a thread a page or two back which detail more or less the whole procedure.

August '09 for that update to the dashboard that closes the hole, though consoles manufactured from late June-August '09 might have the exploit patched.

I think you did ok, I have a zip file from you that contains: Config_raw.bin fuses.txt(which has a cpu and DVD key in it), keyvault.bin and kevault_raw.bin

Do you have a link to a guide for freeboot?

Get this http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EkyFyEFpAVwNqKHUPg.php run the .xex from a usb key or something, launch it in xexmenu. It allows you to dump the nand to the usb or wherever.

Now get freboot toolbox http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EkyFyEFpAVwNqKHUPg.php You need the nand you just dumped and paste the cpu key into the cpu key box.

Leave the disclaunch option checkbox at nand, it should autodetect your mobo version and CB.

Now go ahead and create freeboot.

Once created it can be put on a usb key and flashed to the nand using flash360 as above.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

what uncle doc told you all before? that you won't need lpt cables ever :P

docentore wrote: »
    what uncle doc told you all before? that you won't need lpt cables ever :P

It's true, you did say that. Quit your gloating :p

Its not going great so far tbh!

I used the web interface of xellous to dump the nand, and im getting bad blocks. And and Freeboot Tool box is telling me my cpu key and nand dont match. Launched a xexloader cd that TV left down here a few months ago to launch flash360 to try dump from there, exact same results, bad blocks and a CPU key that doesn't match the dump.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Its not going great so far tbh!

I used the web interface of xellous to dump the nand, and im getting bad blocks. And and Freeboot Tool box is telling me my cpu key and nand dont match. Launched a xexloader cd that TV left down here a few months ago to launch flash360 to try dump from there, exact same results, bad blocks and a CPU key that doesn't match the dump.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Whats the background of your 360? Is it jtagged already? Or are you only in the process of doing it now...

Emm the background of nxe? Didn't notice it being any different than normal. It's definitly jtagged ok, cause I could launch the xexloader disk from the dash, and pressing eject to turn it on boots into something with a blue screen.

Well that should rule out bad solder joints/connections. So your 360 is jtag'ed, has a patched operating system, but yet all nand dumps are inconcistent? Are you trying to dump the nand without turning the power off after every dump? My 360 came with a cd with 3 nand dumps, but when I dumped it myself the images didnt match, so a power cycle seems to change the image...

• Advertisement

Ok got somewhere with this guide, maybe!

I did what it told me, but I dont know what difference it made! I know my internal memory is no longer working as a memory card!

So, what now?

I was looking at the freestyle dash, looks the business, can i make that deafult dash?

Emm the background of nxe? Didn't notice it being any different than normal. It's definitly jtagged ok, cause I could launch the xexloader disk from the dash, and pressing eject to turn it on boots into something with a blue screen.

Pressing eject loads xelinux - your fuse values appear in this bootup sequence, photograph them using a camera, they scroll by too quickly. Depending on the version of that linux thing you have it may or may not display your CPU Key and DVD Key - if it does then happy days. If not, Fuses 04 and 06 [or 03+05] (put together) make your CPU Key. Make sure you have the right CPU key ;)

Advertisement