Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

• 03-06-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

All WC Draft discussion goes in here folks. The thread for making your picks is here

EDIT to include the rules here too:
    Boards.ie World Cup Draft
    • Based on the original Premier League draft idea (credit to Lloyd) and inspired by the Pro Wrestling Draft I give you the Boards.ie World Cup Draft Game. People who are interested would agree to pick footballers from the final squads of the 32 teams that have qualified for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. It would then be at the discretion of each participant to select a formation for their chosen 11.
    • There will be another draw after each player has picked his XI, putting people against each other in a knockout tournament where players will be required to argue why their team would win. This will be then be put to an open vote, you will be at the discretion of the soccer forum.
    • There will be 9 normal rounds where you can pick any of the players from the squads announced. Round 4 will be for a non World Cup player only while round 7 will be a legends round where you can pick any of the greats who played at the World Cup and not necessarily for a team that qualified.
    • When picking, feel free to add in a brief paragraph about the player and what he will add to your team. While this is not required, I would ask that each pick be accompanied by a picture of the player at the very least. If you miss your 24 hour deadline, the next player can go. It will be up to you to make sure you don’t miss this deadline. You can still choose whenever you can but players will be snapped up that you may have had an interest in.
    • You will be restricted to a maximum of three players from any one nation, akin to the Fantasy Premier League Rules.
    • With regards to assessing someone else’s team, you should take into account their performance at international level as well as their league form in the run up to the tournament.
    • Remember to play nice. Chances are everyone will have their preferences taken by somebody else at some point and in circumstances where you think someone has made a weak choice and you feel the want or need to stress it to them, do so with decorum and without resorting to one-line insults.
    • There may be a temptation to discuss who you chose your pick over but it would be smarter to not mention other available picks as to make sure that everyone is fair game.
    • Now there are plenty of regular posters here who frequent the forum on a daily basis. If you only log on occasionally and either can't or are unwilling to log on more often that is cool - but you will be likely to miss your turn and hold up the process and might be best to give it a miss.

Picks will be made in the following order. Every second round it will be reversed remember. So at the end of the first round, the 20th picker will also be the first picker in the next round. I will update this thread as picks are made so people can see who's gone and who's not.

**Excel Spreadsheet of picks so far**

1. JP Liz
    2. SlickRic
    3. Whatawaster
    4. Gillington
    5. Frisbee
    6. Mr. Nice Guy
    7. Mr. Guappa
    8. redzerdrog
    9. Xavi
    10. Voltwad
    11. Minto
    12. BigBenRoeth
    13. Mitch Connor
    14. Curry-muff
    15. LuckyLloyd
    16. Titan18
    17. Bamboozling
    18. Bounty Hunter
    19. Archimedes
    20. Eagle eye

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I reckon leave the threads up over the weekend and then start it on Monday to give everyone a chance to see them and the order they're supposed to be going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Pick number 19!?!

You've made a powerful enemy Voltwad.....

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How do long do we have before we miss our go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

lads to be honest I'm heading away on vacation tomorrow week for a fortnight and I can't see myself logging in too much during it (if I want to come home with all my body parts intact at any rate :))

in the interests of fairness to everyone else I'm not going to start and then abandon it halfway through so you can give my spot to JP Liz.

gutted, but don't want to ruin it for everyone else.

got bloody first pick too :(:(:(

Xavi6 wrote: »
    How do long do we have before we miss our go?

I editted the OP there to include the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Archimedes wrote: »
    Pick number 19!?!

;)
    Thank randomizer.org for that one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Are the picks based on current ability of players, or their overall career?

Based on their overall International + club careers or more weighting given to world cup performances?

lest there be arguments halfway through

Iago wrote: »
    lads to be honest I'm heading away on vacation tomorrow week for a fortnight and I can't see myself logging in too much during it (if I want to come home with all my body parts intact at any rate :))

in the interests of fairness to everyone else I'm not going to start and then abandon it halfway through so you can give my spot to JP Liz.

gutted, but don't want to ruin it for everyone else.

got bloody first pick too :(:(:(
    No worries. I'm sure you'll be around for the Premier League one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Archimedes wrote: »
    Pick number 19!?!

;)
    Thats a good place to be Archie, you get 19 and 22. I get 20 and 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

no 2!

you f*cking legend randomizer.org.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Thats a good place to be Archie, you get 19 and 22. I get 20 and 21.

is it not random draw every round?

just asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

SlickRic wrote: »
    no 2!

Ah, you won't be saying that once you've made your first pick and you've to wait 36 more turns for your next one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

SlickRic wrote: »
    no 2!

means your next pick is no.39 though. Which is why i dont mind getting no.18 so much as ill also get no.23 and might get a nice lil double act in early

means your next pick is no.39 though. Which is why i dont mind getting no.18 so much as ill also get no.23 and might get a nice lil double act in early

as i said, i assumed it was random every round, hence my initial excitement.

i was obviously mistaken.

ah well.

Bang smack in the middle :pac:

Did you pm JpLiz or whatever the name is?
    I mean the first pick should be made already, like its a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Happy with number 6. Will have to think of someone special to tide me over for Round 2.

I'd suggest PM'ing everyone on the list and letting them know they're in and to look at the list to see what pick they are. Then give it until Monday for the first person to pick.

Did you pm JpLiz or whatever the name is?
    I mean the first pick should be made already, like its a no brainer.
    PM'd her. She can get the ball rolling whenever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Voltwad wrote: »
    PM'd her. She can get the ball rolling whenever.

If we get started whenver JP Liz is ready but don't start adhering to the deadlines until Monday? It would allow us get started while still giving everyone a chance to find out that they are in and prepare

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    If we get started whenver JP Liz is ready but don't start adhering to the deadlines until Monday? It would allow us get started while still giving everyone a chance to find out that they are in and prepare
    Yeah no worries. No time limit on the first round. Everyone should have gotten into the swing of things by Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ok i've never played this sort of thing before, i have read all the rules and am still not sure how you actually win matches against other people.

Ok i pick 11 players that haven't been chosen already when my time comes around to choose a team right?
    Then we get drawn against an opponent, ok after that im lost as to the main objective of the game?

Ok i've never played this sort of thing before, i have read all the rules and am still not sure how you actually win matches against other people.

Ok i pick 11 players that haven't been chosen already when my time comes around to choose a team right?
    Then we get drawn against an opponent, ok after that im lost as to the main objective of the game?
    A thread would be started for your match. You both argue your case for why you'd beat your opponent and then it goes to a poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

A thread would be started for your match. You both argue your case for why you'd beat your opponent and then it goes to a poll.

Thats a lotta work lol :eek: how long do we get to argue is their like a time set of an hour or something on the thread or just keep arguing till one person gives up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is a 24 hour clock not a long time considering the World Cup is on pretty soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Im in for the dark horse slot at number 14 :P

titan18 wrote: »
    Is a 24 hour clock not a long time considering the World Cup is on pretty soon?

I think that 24 hours is pretty reasonable, clearly there will be some groups of picks that are within 4 or 5 hours, giving up to 24 hours is fair as the odd time people wont be able to get on for a while. I know that Ill be checking daily because ive pretty much nothing else to do during the summer but other people with commitments will be busy with work etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Gutted I missed this, if anyone has to bail would they give me a shout? Had a blast in the PL one a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I fully intend on winning this.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I fully intend on winning this.

Not if I have anything to say about it ;)

I just had a look back through this JP Liz characters posts, and that person hasn't made a post in the soccer forum in the last week apart from the one looking to be part of this game.

Seems that person is into games and not football, no surprise we have been kept waiting.

I just had a look back through this JP Liz characters posts, and that person hasn't made a post in the soccer forum in the last week apart from the one looking to be part of this game.

Seems that person is into games and not football, no surprise we have been kept waiting.
    JP Liz does be fairly active on the Pro Wrestling forum and I've sent a PM so all we can do is give the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Imo starting it today was too much of a rush. You should have PM'd everyone and then left it until Monday so everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Imo starting it today was too much of a rush. You should have PM'd everyone and then left it until Monday so everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing.
    I said earlier in the thread that there'd be no time limit on the first round so I'm not panicking :)

I said earlier in the thread that there'd be no time limit on the first round so I'm not panicking :)

There's no time limit between picks?

• Advertisement

For the first round. Just to get the ball rolling

For the first round. Just to get the ball rolling

The Ball will roll fine with the time limits. Trying to set it all up in a day is where the problem is, especially coming into a Bank Holiday weekend.

So what happens if next Wednesday rolls around and JP Liz still hasn't picked? The time limits are there for a reason tbh, and if your not going to use them in the first round then why use them in any round?

Not trying to buzz kill here but surely allowing someone as much time as they want to pick will do the opposite of getting the ball rolling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The Ball will roll fine with the time limits. Trying to set it all up in a day is where the problem is, especially coming into a Bank Holiday weekend.

So what happens if next Wednesday rolls around and JP Liz still hasn't picked? The time limits are there for a reason tbh, and if your not going to use them in the first round then why use them in any round?

Not trying to buzz kill here but surely allowing someone as much time as they want to pick will do the opposite of getting the ball rolling?

Agree with this, I think the time limit should kick in on Monday, just leave it amble along until then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

To be fair there's plenty of posts from her on this board before joining the game:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=12456547&pp=25

It seems Liz asked to be put on the reserve list and then seems to have logged off around 4 o'clock. Then funnily enough soon after it turns out she was included in the game when Iago left and she was then given a number 1 ranking. It's pretty funny really. :pac:

All I can say is with regards to Liz, she took part in the Draft I ran on the PW board a few months back and I didn't have any problems with her. I think the lads who frequent the PW forum will also attest to the fact she can be relied upon. She's a regular poster on the TV and wrestling boards too.

I would agree with Frisbee that when it does kick off there should be time limits to help it along.

I would agree with Frisbee that when it does kick off there should be time limits to help it along.

With the Bank holiday this weekend and that in the last Draft we did on here weekends were considered as breaks we'd be much better off leaving it until say Monday at 10a.m. to start it

By that stage everyone will have had time to check a PM telling them their in the game and that they should know (roughly) when they're expected to have to pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Im not sure if this was mentioned already, but I remember in the PW draft, non-participants where not allowed to mention any potential picks. This stopped peoples obscure and well researched picks being spoiled. I think this was enforced by threat of banning, but can't really remember.

Minto wrote: »
    Im not sure if this was mentioned already, but I remember in the PW draft, non-participants where not allowed to mention any potential picks. This stopped peoples obscure and well researched picks being spoiled. I think this was enforced by threat of banning, but can't really remember.
    I mentioned that in the OP fella.

go on, JP Liz, you just posted in the Rafa thread.

you're number 1!

I'm assuming JP Liz was PM'd?

I'm assuming JP Liz was PM'd?

once or twice.

certainly by Volt anyway.

i didn't want to harrass her with another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

How about when we've read this thread we thank the 1st post? I mean the 20 that are involved,this way we can see who's ready etc.Theres 4 already,Archimedes,BigBenRoeth,eagle eye and Mr Nice Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I mentioned that in the OP fella.

Maybe I'm missing it, but doesn't your OP only cover that it's not a good idea to mention why you picked player X over player Y? What I suggested was making it clear that non-participants in the draft shouldn't be "advising" us?

Gillington wrote: »
    How about when we've read this thread we thank the 1st post? I mean the 20 that are involved,this way we can see who's ready etc.Theres 4 already,Archimedes,BigBenRoeth,eagle eye and Mr Nice Guy

Im ready, just forgot to thank the post, doing so now ;)

I just sent a pm, well more a rant:pac:, to that jpliz person.

I just sent a pm, well more a rant:pac:, to that jpliz person.

she's more than welcome in the game, but i have a feeling she won't be as regular as some of us on here.

so we may have to be patient, if people are willing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement