Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Delighted with Keita, I opened the picks thread with a deep breath each time this round :) I accept that Cannavaro is past his best, but I explained why I think he's good value at this stage in my write-up. I was going to sneakily wait until after the Italy game later to pick him, but that would've been unfair to hold everyone else up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

and Rd5 has begun

1. Necronomicon - Messi, Diego Forlan, Lahm, Keita, Cannavaro
    2. SlickRic - Xavi, John Terry, Anelka, Alessandro Nesta
    3. Whatawaster - Ronaldo, Yoann Gourcuff, Evra, Darren Fletcher
    4. Gillington - Villa, Dani Alves, Robinho, Michael Ballack
    5. Frisbee - Rooney, Piqué, David Silva, Igor Akinfeev
    6. MNG - Drogba, Carles Puyol, Walter Samuel, Andrei Arshavin
    7. Mr. Guappa - Fabregas, Chiellini, Ashley Cole, Petr Cech
    8. Redzerdrog - Torres, Schweinsteiger, Per Mertesacker, Ronaldinho
    9. Xavi - Lampard, Lucio, Diego Milito, Shay Given
    10. Voltwad - Iniesta, Yaya Toure, Sergio Aguero, Alex
    11. Minto - Van Persie, Gianluigi Buffon, Joe Cole, David Beckham
    12. BigBenRoeth - Palacios, Nemanja Vidic, Miroslav Klose, Luka Modric
    13. Mitch Connor - Sneijder, Danielle De Rossi, Di Natale, Paul Scholes
    14. Curry-muff - Julio Cesar, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Rio Ferdinand
    15. LuckyLloyd - Kaka, Mascherano, Ricardo Carvalho, Javier Zanetti
    16. Titan18 - Fabiano, Maicon, Marek Hamsik, Edin Dzeko
    17. Bamboozling - Eto'o, Ribery, Pepe, Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    18. Bounty Hunter - Casillas, Higuain, Gattuso, Riquelme
    19. Archimedes - Robben, Pirlo, Malouda, Michael Essien
    20. Eagle eye - Alonso, Tevez, Pepe Reina, Esteban Cambiasso

So, now that Round 4 is over I guess we can talk about players who weren't pick, since they can't be now.

My back up in case Keita was picked was Christian Chivu, and after that it was Van Der Sar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My alternative to Darren Fletcher was Marouane Fellaini. Think i chose right in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

So, now that Round 4 is over I guess we can talk about players who weren't pick, since they can't be now.

My back up in case Keita was picked was Christian Chivu, and after that it was Van Der Sar.

van der Sar was my 2nd choice if Cech had been taken. Benzema, van Nistelrooy, Bosingwa and Senna were others who I thought might have went in this round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

nobody picked Duffer.

for shame ;)

Van Der Sar is a good call i didn't even think of, same with Bosingwa.

another i thought would go was Antonio Valencia.

even Ryan Giggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Surprised Nani wasn't picked with the shortage of quality wingers available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I had Krasic earmarked for round 6 or 8, didn't think he'd go this soon.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I had Krasic earmarked for round 6 or 8, didn't think he'd go this soon.

i didn't think he'd last that long.

and as Archi pointed out, there's not a fantastic array of widemen available.

I too hoped Krasic would go under the radar for another while, good pick.

Oh, Daniel Van Buyten was another one of my back ups. Dario Srna was another, he would've made a great attacking full-back combination with Lahm.

• Advertisement

not saying they all are good enough to have been picked but would not have been surprised if any of these were

Totti, Srna, Zapata, Berbatov, Pandev, Ronaldo, Adriano, Aquilani, Pato, Fernando Gago, Lass Diarra, Mahamadou Diarra

Diarra went under my radar.

i could have done with him as another option to Nesta that round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

pick made.

Fletcher
    X

Ozil
    Gourcuff
    Ronaldo---

X

I knew i'd be waiting nearly 40 picks for another go, by which time all the good attacking mids would probably be gone. I'd made a decision to build from the front, and i'm very happy with the way it's turned out so far.

It was between Ozil and one other for my pick. I've no doubt they'll be one of the next half-dozen to go, so when they do i'll reveal who it was.

because of the hype after yesterday, Ozil would have definitely been gone by the time it got round to you again.

i'll be interested to see how you sort out the spine of your team now we're getting deep into this.

where will the legend go for instance? (that's a rhetorical, i'm not actually being stupid and cheeky enough to ask ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Thought Valencia would go and Pato.Others who might have gone were Srna,Adebayor,Diarra(both Madrid players),Giggs,Aboutrika and Hamit Altintop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thought Bojan and Benzema might have gone in the last round. Also Olic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

some of the picks in round 4 were terrible when you consider some of the players that were takin late in the round and some that werent picked at all.

The 5 that i had ear marked were ronaldiho, arshavin, kieta, akinfeev and pato. the versatility of ronaldiho and arshavin won them over for me and then it was a 50/50 choice between the 2, the fact that ronaldiho just had a very good year with scoring and assisting a lot won me over.

ozil is a good pick i had him on my list at the start but knew after the start he had to the tournament he wouldnt last till the later rounds were i was hoping to get him

redzerdrog wrote: »
    some of the picks in round 4 were terrible when you consider some of the players that were takin late in the round and some that werent picked at all.

The 5 that i had ear marked were ronaldiho, arshavin, kieta, akinfeev and pato. the versatility of ronaldiho and arshavin won them over for me and then it was a 50/50 choice between the 2, the fact that ronaldiho just had a very good year with scoring and assisting a lot won me over.

I thought most of the picks were good. Once Essien and Cambiasso went there was a pool of probably 30-40 players of a similar level, so I think people filled an area in their team that they might struggle to get a quality player for in later rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I thought most of the picks were good. Once Essien and Cambiasso went there was a pool of probably 30-40 players of a similar level, so I think people filled an area in their team that they might struggle to get a quality player for in later rounds.

Spot on.
    I'm really happy with Modders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I gotta say I'm very surprised at guys that were not picked in that round. Adebayor, Bellamy, Sissoko and JOS are the ones that stand out to me that were not picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I honestly can't believe Pato wasn't picked, especially with the lack of quality strikers left available to pick, I'm guessing alot of people are saving the striker for the legend round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Smegball wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe Pato wasn't picked, especially with the lack of quality strikers left available to pick, I'm guessing alot of people are saving the striker for the legend round!
    Adebayor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pato

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

:o Forgot abouut Benzema

Was between Adebayor and Modric for me but I'm nearly sure I'm gonna play a 4-5-1

Pick made and PM sent

Fúck ya Laura :mad::(

Pick made and PM sent. Very pleased as I only had two keepers in mind I would have been happy with. I was able to breathe a sigh of relief after Gillington's pick since I knew Frisbee sorted his keeper out already. :cool:

I was able to breathe a sigh of relief after Gillington's pick since I knew Frisbee sorted his keeper out already. :cool:

Well I had been considering making a bold Maradona style management decision and picking two keepers but you would have been ok anyway, I had someone else in mind.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Well I had been considering making a bold Maradona style management decision and picking two keepers but you would have been ok anyway, I had someone else in mind.

Funny I was actually thinking of declaring my planned pick before your go since I knew you had your keeper anyway. Didn't want to risk it even if it was a slim chance. :pac:

there only 1 pick before me and wont be on again till tomorrow night so anyone want to take my shortlist?

I am getting very unlucky here keeps ending up with 1 player to pick before i have to log off:(

Funny I was actually thinking of declaring my planned pick before your go since I knew you had your keeper anyway. Didn't want to risk it even if it was a slim chance. :pac:

I could have traded my keeper for an outfielder and nabbed Lloris on ya! :pac:

redzerdrog wrote: »
    there only 1 pick before me and wont be on again till tomorrow night so anyone want to take my shortlist?

I am getting very unlucky here keeps ending up with 1 player to pick before i have to log off:(

Yeah I'll be on most of the day tomo so I can take it if ya want?

Bump :pac:

I took van Bommel this morning, delighted to get him. His energy and box-to-box style will fit in very well with the hard-working energetic team I am trying to build! He was my first choice in this round, my 2nd choice is still there to so fingers crossed he slides into the next regular round!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Bump :pac:

I took van Bommel this morning, delighted to get him. His energy and box-to-box style will fit in very well with the hard-working energetic team I am trying to build! He was my first choice in this round, my 2nd choice is still there to so fingers crossed he slides into the next regular round!

i know you didnt get him but whener i see you new sig i think you drafted Ronaldo from your pic

• Advertisement

i know you didnt get him but whener i see you new sig i think you drafted Ronaldo from your pic

Pfft.. no place for fancy dans on my team :)

Picked Michel Bastos and PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Picked and PM'd, had to move quick as Alexis Sanchez is one of the players I really wanted and after todays performance I was worried someone else would snap him up :pac:

At the risk of starting another arguement, what's the story with injuries? Mitch said they aren't taken into consideration but I don't remember that being said.

hopefully Lloyd will be on soon cos I see titan and bamboozling are currently online so if we are lucky we could get a nice run of picks as im up after that trio.

I remember talk of how you shouldent be able to just right someone off if they are injured i.e if two teams are against each other you couldent just say well my forwards would rape (copyright Graeme Souness) your defense because Ledley Kinfg would be injured all the time but thought it would be left up to each persons personal interpretation on why they should vote for a certain teams players as more likely to win. Its up to each voter to factor in how much injures etc should count against players/teams... could be wrong though

• Advertisement

Like BH said, I don't think it was made clear whether they would be.

My view on it would depend on how the winner is to be judged. If we are judging it on a straight knock-out style, one-off game format then I don't think they should be taken into account.

I think it would be daft for anyone up against Mitch's side to say "Ledley King would/might go off injured after half an hour so you would be a man down". At the end of the day we are not picking squads, just the first XI, so I say judge it on the best XI and on the basis that all players are fit.

If it's open to interpretation everyone will have their own views but that's my take on it.

My view on it would depend on how the winner is to be judged. If we are judging it on a straight knock-out style, one-off game format then I don't think they should be taken into account.

I think it would be daft for anyone up against Mitch's side to say "Ledley King would/might go off injured after half an hour so you would be a man down". At the end of the day we are not picking squads, just the first XI, so I say judge it on the best XI and on the basis that all players are fit.

I agree totally, particularly with the second part.

This was a big grey area in the PL draft, because we were deciding ties in two ways: how the teams would fare against each other, and how a team would do over the course of a full PL season. If we're thinking in terms of how a team would do in a full international tournament here, then injuries would have to come into it imo.

This was a big grey area in the PL draft, because we were deciding ties in two ways: how the teams would fare against each other, and how a team would do over the course of a full PL season. If we're thinking in terms of how a team would do in a full international tournament here, then injuries would have to come into it imo.

Yeah I think that's reasonable. If we're to factor how a team would last in the full duration of a tournament then injury problems would have to be considered. If it's just on the basis of the knock-out games then I don't think it is relevant.

I think as well there's the issue of people on the board voting on it. If it's open to everybody, and people are voting on the match-ups, then I don't think they will take into account injury-prone players.

i have picks 5 and 8 of the next 7 picks. Have three players in mind, so hopefully my 2 preferences will fall to me. Have a feeling one of them in particular will be gone by my pick though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Things are being done in knockout format so it'll be a case of head-to-head in one off matches so injuries shouldn't play a vital role at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Team Thus Far:

Ricardo Carvalho
    Javier Zanetti
    Javier Mascherano
    Dejan Stankovic
    Kaka

Very happy with how things are shaping up. Haven't fully decided on a formation yet tbh, there are a lot of ways I can go from that starting five.

Picked and pmed.Happy with Capdevila, think he's a good left back.

if bamboozling isnt on in the next 15mins or so ill be off to sleep (tis 3.15am here) so anyone know they will be online for a while yet? i can pm my next planned pick to you if so, to to keep things moving.

if bamboozling isnt on in the next 15mins or so ill be off to sleep (tis 3.15am here) so anyone know they will be online for a while yet? i can pm my next planned pick to you if so, to to keep things moving.

Ya,I'll be on for the next 4 hours anyway

I'll be on man PM me ur pick if you want

• Advertisement
Advertisement