Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

cheers ill pm one of you before i go offline so if he hasnt come on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Picked and Pm'ed. Was suprised Glen wasn't taken and Right back will become a real problem position for other players towards the end of their picks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Picked and Pm'ed. Was suprised Glen wasn't taken and Right back will become a real problem position for other players towards the end of their picks.

Theres better RBs than Johnson there IMO.
    Won't name them yet as I have them lined up for my next pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'm going with Marcelo Bielsa's 3-1-3-3 tactics with Chile ;)

1276730842934084.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

First pick made Lukas Podolski and now the left back is next.

eagle eye wrote: »
    First pick made Lukas Podolski and now the left back is next.

Dude, its 2am, just post the name and then edit the post, I wanna get mine in before I go to bed! ;)

Delighted with my Agger-Kjaer combo at the back. Looked great the other day, and have been solid at the back for Denmark all throughout qualifying. Familiarity is the key!

1276738876432302.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bah I really wanted Kjaer.

Pick of the Round so far.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bah I really wanted Kjaer.

Pick of the Round so far.

....which also makes it the second worst pick :(:pac:

• Advertisement

yeah i wanted Kjaer too if im honest but Henry does fit my plans well even if there are potentially better players still available. He could partner higuain or go wing forward in a 451/433 as outlined below

Casillas

RB
    Ivanovic
    CB
    LB

Gattusso
    Riquelme

RWF
    AMC
    Henry

Higuain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

yeah i wanted Kjaer too if im honest but Henry does fit my plans well even if there are potentially better players still available. He could partner higuain or go wing forward in a 451/433 as outlined below

Casillas

RB
    Ivanovic
    CB
    LB

Gattusso
    Riquelme

RWF
    AMC
    Henry

Higuain

Its an OK team, but tbh all I have to do is say Booo Henry Boo and Ive a free pass to next round!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Archimedes wrote: »
    Delighted with my Agger-Kjaer combo at the back. Looked great the other day, and have been solid at the back for Denmark all throughout qualifying. Familiarity is the key!

1276738876432302.jpg

Nice team up there Archie, I had planned on picking him up.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Its an OK team, but tbh all I have to do is say Booo Henry Boo and Ive a free pass to next round!!!

it probably is a risky strategy picking him as even though id assume you tongue is firmly placed in you cheek with that comment it is possible that some would just vote on what teams (players) they like most instead of what the best combination of players are but i would hope that the people who have put a lot of thought and time into this game would also put the same into voting on which team is better than the other.

Thierry = God.

Last year I would have said awesome pick. But after his loss of form and losing the French captaincy I have been less inclinced to pick him, he didn't even make my shortlist.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Thierry = God.

Last year I would have said awesome pick. But after his loss of form and losing the French captaincy I have been less inclinced to pick him, he didn't even make my shortlist.

tbh i kinda agree although not the not on the shortlist thing, as i said in my pick post this year has not been his best and that is the reason he is a 6th round pick and not a 2/3rd round one. Kinda similar to Gerrard who if he had a stormer for Liverpool this year, the now England captain would have possibly been a 1st round pick instead of a 2nd/3rd round pick (cant remember which one it was but it was either near the end of the 2nd round or the sstart of the 3rd iirc). HIs versatility (WF/ST) and the dwindling amount of quality attackers left also made my decision over a number of other options available.

• Advertisement

IMO Henry used to be god.
    Going by his standards he is now ****e.
    But he is still a good player if you know what I mean

Gk

Glen Johnson
    Pepe
    CB
    LB

De Jong
    DMF

ATR
    Ribery

Ibrahimovic
    E'too

My team so far. at the moment I'm going for a 4-2-2-2 formation but that could well change. I'm liking what I'm seeing at the moment. Curse you Archimedes because Kjaer was my next pick before you nicked away from my grasp!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Damn you, I really wanted Kjaer.Should have taken him last round :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fuck you bamboozling :mad:

De Jong was mine for this round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Funnily enough I really wanted De Jong but predicted that you'd take him this round :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

*crosses de Jong off list*

though I think we all knew Xavi was going to take him regardless.

it's time to unearth some gems. the current tier of quality everyone's swimming in is getting a bit thin.

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's time to unearth some gems. the current tier of quality everyone's swimming in is getting a bit thin.

This.

Rounds 8, 9, 10 and 11 are going to be tough. Especially as I've only about 50 people left on my first list.

This.

Rounds 8, 9, 10 and 11 are going to be tough. Especially as I've only about 50 people left on my first list.

Yep,it'll be interesting

Took a long while to choose who I wanted there.Good few players left who will probably be gone this round who I could have taken.Hoping 1 or 2 of them will slip through to round 8 for me.

Happy with Toulalan though, I'm a big fan of his, think he's a very good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

*crosses Toulalan off back up list*

good pick at this stage. a very undervalued player. i think there are better available personally, but he's solid, and won't let you down.

my bad! It was time for a bit of midfield bite. There isn't going to be a whole lot of quality players like him left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah, very happy to get Park Ji Sung in the sixth round tbh.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, very happy to get Park Ji Sung in the sixth round tbh.

I was really hoping he was going to go unnoticed.Almost picked him instead of Toulalan.He's a good player imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Feck that anyway. I had Park in my plans. Thought he would go unnoticed. Probably the best pick of the round I'd say.

Had a good long think about Park but deided I would comprimise myself too much if I had two wingers and 2 strikers in the squad with no defensive midfielder

• Advertisement

Picked and Pm'd

I knew you'd pick Sagna after your post yesterday ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is squeaky bum time in the Draft I think.

This is squeaky bum time in the Draft I think.

Yup, I have the best part of 30 picks to wait before my next one. I'm lucky in that my two picks are very close, but it's a long wait when you have two players in mind :(

Next round is retired players round right?

Yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

My shorlist has taken a right battering since this time yesterday :mad:

Some very good picks lately. Still a couple of players I'd be more than happy to spend a 6th round pick on.

Credit to all involved for keeping this moving at a fair old rate. We are averaging about 8 picks a day and are just about half way through the picks stage of the game.

:cool:

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    My shorlist has taken a right battering since this time yesterday :mad:

Some very good picks lately. Still a couple of players I'd be more than happy to spend a 6th round pick on.

Credit to all involved for keeping this moving at a fair old rate. We are averaging about 8 picks a day and are just about half way through the picks stage of the game.

Your sig is pretty cool btw. How does one put that together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Your sig is pretty cool btw. How does one put that together?

Cheers! I just put the pictures of the guys together with Paint then used www.kusocartoon.com to make them cartoony.

This is my rough idea of what my team will be like

1276804061442447.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Pick made and PM sent! I feel I've made a good start to my defense in Zambrotta, although I would have preferred Cannevaro.

I must start putting together my formation properly now cos it's getting close to the end now.

Minto wrote: »
    Pick made and PM sent! I feel I've made a good start to my defense in Zambrotta, although I would have preferred Cannevaro.

I must start putting together my formation properly now cos it's getting close to the end now.

I totally forgot that next round is the legends round, I had hoped to get Zambrotta in the next round lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i am up in 3 picks time and I havent a clue who I want it all depends on my formation but cant decide what to go with till after my legends pick:(

As did I, although I was hoping I was wrong, 5 of the picks I was considering for next have gone today...

• Advertisement

As did I, although I was hoping I was wrong, 5 of the picks I was considering for next have gone today...

That's harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah this round has really done a number on my shortlist.

Anyway, in my boredom I whipped this spreadsheet up to keep track of the picks, maybe it could be copied into the OP?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvqwZuVoToy9dDEwTlA3UV9CWk80b2dDWWxXakx2VXc&hl=en

Ive been busy marking players off my list also, one of my positions only has one player remaining on it :pac:

Yeah this round has really done a number on my shortlist.

Anyway, in my boredom I whipped this spreadsheet up to keep track of the picks, maybe it could be copied into the OP?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvqwZuVoToy9dDEwTlA3UV9CWk80b2dDWWxXakx2VXc&hl=en

Bit complicated IMO,would be as well as just having a list of the names of the boardsies followed by the players they picked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I think this is gonna be my formation (for now).

Buffon

Zambrotta----???----???----???

Beckham----???----Cole----Donovan

???

van Persie

I can see it chanhing to a 4-1-2-1-2 after round 8 if everything goes to plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement