Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Bit complicated IMO,would be as well as just having a list of the names of the boardsies followed by the players they picked

You're welcome :rolleyes:

:pac:

Only joking. I took this template from the PL draft. I like it because it shows the progression of the rounds nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

You're welcome :rolleyes:

Only joking. I took this template from the PL draft. I like it because it shows the progression of the rounds nicely.

No i'm not taking the piss or anything but im saying what i said above and what is already being done would probably be handier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Gervinho.

He won out over me choosing a full back or a final midfielder. Now I just need the legend's round to help me complete my awesome forward line :)

Howard

X...............X...............Alex.............X

Yaya Toure

X..........Iniesta

Aguero.............Gervinho

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Arturo Vidal was a quality pick in terms of ability and form. I'd just be worried his non-celebrity would count against him with the judges. Love him as a player though. I think he's a great pick for Round 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Archimedes wrote: »
    Arturo Vidal was a quality pick in terms of ability and form. I'd just be worried his non-celebrity would count against him with the judges. Love him as a player though. I think he's a great pick for Round 6.

Decent pick, but id have to argue with his 'standout performer in Chiles opener' comment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

curry-muff wrote: »
    Decent pick, but id have to argue with his 'standout performer in Chiles opener' comment ;)

And then I would have to go to the effort of arguing that you didn't read the post properly because it clearly says he was one of the standout performers, not the standout performer.

All that arguing for nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Van Der Wiel was a very good pick.I think he's a better pick than some of the right backs who went before him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

titan18 wrote: »
    Van Der Wiel was a very good pick.I think he's a better pick than some of the right backs who went before him

I was very happy to pick him up anyway! Happy with how my team is shaping up:

Cech
    van der Wiel
    X
    Chiellini
    A.Cole
    Fabregas
    X
    van Bommel----
    ---X
    X
    X---

I'm a bit light on forwards but I'm not too worried about that just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

You'll pick up a world class forward in the legends round anyway.

My plan was always to leave the most important player in the team (in my case, my enganche) to the legends round.

Is it just me or is the legends round shaping up to be awesome?
    I can't wait to see who is picked and I really hope no one picks who I want because that would leave my life in tatters.

• Advertisement

I can't wait to see who is picked and I really hope no one picks who I want because that would leave my life in tatters.

Bit of an overstatement there I hope!!

Should be a good round alright, I'm 7th to pick so just waiting to see what way the picks ahead of me go... Everyone will get a "top top player" anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is the thing.

people were complaining about the legends round; yes myself, Necro et all have a slight advantage, but the key is that every single person should get an absolutely brilliant player. no question.

it's really not going to make a big difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

my 2nd round draft of Higuain isnt looking so early now eh! Potential goldent boot winner methinks and it was his international record that was called into question :) gwan Maradona ya mad bastardo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

my 2nd round draft of Higuain isnt looking so early now eh! Potential goldent boat winner methinks and it was his international record that was called into question :) gwan Maradona ya mad bastardo

i wasn't paying attention to the rules (round 4 and 7) when I started this - Picking Di Natale is going to be my downfall I reckon.

my 2nd round draft of Higuain isnt looking so early now eh! Potential goldent boat winner methinks and it was his international record that was called into question :) gwan Maradona ya mad bastardo

Didn't know he was doing the rowing too!

i wasn't paying attention to the rules (round 4 and 7) when I started this - Picking Di Natale is going to be my downfall I reckon.

Hes still a quality player and im sure will suit your team but some players will grow in stature as this tournament continues and i doubt Di Natale will be one of them while Higuain may get thrust into the International limelight which combined with his form at Madrid could really improve peoples opinion of my lineup
    Didn't know he was doing the rowing too!

haha nice, i mean what are you on about... and whats a ninja edit :pac:

haha nice, i mean what are you on about... and whats a ninja edit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

MNG you BOLLOX!

I need some time to think of my next pick now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pick made, PM sent. Now just have to hope my target for Rd 7 remains untouched.

Edit: Ha that's payback for the Rooney pick, Frisbee. ;)

• Advertisement

Pick made, PM sent. Now just have to hope my target for Rd 7 remains untouched.

Edit: Ha that's payback for the Rooney pick, Frisbee. ;)

You've ruined my day. I hope your happy.

really liking MNGs team so far , really solid defensivley and with Drogba you have got a great target man who Arshavin and a Legend can support/create chances for.

Pick made and PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Heitinga is a good pick, particularly for his diversity. When the pool of quality gets more shallow that versatillity will be important.

yeah, had my eye on Heitinga potentially taking my RB slot.

very good pick; it's genuinely a toss-up between him and Song for the better pick at this stage; depending on your needs i suppose.

almost legends time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Pick made PM sent,picked Heinze over my other potential choice,tough decision but I think my Legends pick,provided he's still there,would be better then the other player and nearly the same position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Pick made. PM sent.

that was definitely the hardest one so far.

pick made.

PM sent.

after his recent performances, especially in this World Cup, and double especially against France, I was surprised he's still around tbh.

Really looking forward to this legends round. Should be the most fun in the Draft. Nearly there now.

Woohoo Its Officially Legends Round!!!

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's genuinely a toss-up between him and Song for the better pick at this stage; depending on your needs i suppose.

I'm a Song fanboy though.

• Advertisement

I think all the picks in that round were good solid picks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

this is the thing.

people were complaining about the legends round; yes myself, Necro et all have a slight advantage, but the key is that every single person should get an absolutely brilliant player. no question.

it's really not going to make a big difference.
    It makes a huge difference and its completely unfair. Actually its so retarded that even a second round wouldn't make up for having the last pick in the first round of legends. It can be a draft in itself which would be very interesting.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It makes a huge difference and its completely unfair. Actually its so retarded that even a second round wouldn't make up for having the last pick in the first round of legends. It can be a draft in itself which would be very interesting.

I was thinking about this earlier and I was of the exact opposite opinion. I didn't want to bring this up again and start another argument but seeing as you are after getting the ball rolling here goes:

The likes of Necro, Slickric and the first 4 or 5 to pick in this round were the last to pick in Round 6.. this was a round where everyone seemed to have very similar shorlists and a lot of quality picks had disappeared by the the time we got towards the end. These guys will be last to go again in the next regular round and have to sit back and cross name after name off their shortlist and by the time we get to the end of round 8 the pool of decent picks will be significantly shallower.

In the Legends round everyone from 1-20 will be able to take a top class pick. Please just get on with the game and stop complaining.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I was thinking about this earlier and I was of the exact opposite opinion. I didn't want to bring this up again and start another argument but seeing as you are after getting the ball rolling here goes:

The likes of Necro, Slickric and the first 4 or 5 to pick in this round were the last to pick in Round 6.. this was a round where everyone seemed to have very similar shorlists and a lot of quality picks had disappeared by the the time we got towards the end. These guys will be last to go again in the next regular round and have to sit back and cross name after name off their shortlist and by the time we get to the end of round 8 the pool of decent picks will be significantly shallower.

In the Legends round everyone from 1-20 will be able to take a top class pick. Please just get on with the game and stop complaining.

Well said,tis only a game,get on with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The players that picked first in the first round gets to pick first in 6 of the first 11 rounds so they have an advantage already.
    As for the players not at the world cup round. I'll show you my depth chart for that round just to show how deep it was. I was probably missing players too but this is the list I did out for it. As you can see there was plenty of class in every position and not a real superstar standout.

GK: Cech, Akinfeev, Given
    CB: Alex, Hangeland, Ferdinand, Dunne, Van Buyten, Vermaelen
    FB: O'Shea, Zanetti, Cuellar, Corluka, Marcelo, Bale
    DM: Cambiasso, Essien, Sissoko, Keita
    CM: Fletcher, Ballack, Riquelme, Fellaini
    WM: Arshavin, Modric, Ronaldinho, Valencia, Bellamy, Giggs, A. Young
    FW: Ibrahimovic, Adebayor, Benzema, Bent, Zamora, Saha

I have done a depth chart for the legends round but its like there are six players who are way more famous than the rest and that comes into play big time when it comes to voting.

Having Messi and Zidane/Maradona in your team is just huge for the voting.

eagle eye wrote: »

Having Messi and Zidane/Maradona in your team is just huge for the voting.

This game is about arguing as to why your team should win.
    If you can argue a point well enough im sure boardsies will vote for you over you having a "star studded" team

Sorry, I don't like the argument that this brings but honestly the people in the top half of the draw have the first pick in the first round and the legends round, surely they have the advantage over those in the bottom half who only have advantage in the non wc player round. To make the game fair I would have suggested that 10 of the 11 rounds followed the normal first second principle and the final was another legends round with random drawing, that way top and bottom have 5 rounds each with one pot luck random drawing for the final round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

the rules are in place so just get on with the thing imo there is no point complaining now. the only option when this was brought up was not to have a legends round at all. but seen as it is already started we may as well just get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Puskas completing a formidable attack.

Pm sent

Hup Holland!!

Pick made PM sent,I wonder who Frisbee's gonna pick!!?

• Advertisement

Gillington wrote: »
    I wonder who Frisbee's gonna pick!!?

I'm stuck between two atm having thought one would definitely be gone by now.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'm stuck between two atm having thought one would definitely be gone by now.

Yeah,I had a shortlist drawn up and after reading more and more about Johann I decided on him over the other.What a legend he is!

Pick made and PM sent, that was a lot harder then I thought it was going to be.

Pele that far down is hilarious.

well done Frisbee.

this game is all about the set-up of the team, and arguing your point at the end. i'd have more faith in the boardsies than to simply pick a team to win based on the fact it has Maradona/Xavi, or Zidane/Messi, or Pele/Rooney. they're important, but don't give the whole picture.

it's a slight advantage, luck of the draw and all that, but not the be all, end all. not even close.

as i said, i'd have taken pick 20 in this round and been happy, no doubt. ok, i wouldn't have gotten Maradona, but I would have got an absolute legend of a player regardless. if you can't pick a legend whose going to significantly add to your team, and probably be your best player, even from low down, then I'd worry.

if you can't pick a legend whose going to significantly add to your team, and probably be your best player, even from low down, then I'd worry.

As would I.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Pick made and PM sent, that was a lot harder then I thought it was going to be.

I can't believe Pele fell to number 5 :eek:

I'm so bloody nervous waiting for MNG to pick.. I was torn between 2 players but now I've settled on the one that I really want and am just praying that MNG does not take him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Excellent team MNG, however I worry for the quality of your full backs at this stage of the rounds.

Smegball wrote: »
    Excellent team MNG, however I worry for the quality of your full backs at this stage of the rounds.

Thanks and it's a concern of mine too but I'm hoping my targets for those areas will reach me. Fingers crossed!

a solid spine to the team MNG.

as you'll well know, you'll have to pluck out a couple of gems at full back and AM to support a 'fits-and-starts' Arshavin and Drogba.

i like the look of it though. very no nonsense, and Beckenbaur gives the elegance and compusure you probably needed.

• Advertisement

Just made my pick there.. "The Black Panther" adds the attacking threat that my team had been lacking.

Advertisement