Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Yeh I was gonna pick di Stefano when I couldn't get Bobby Moore (still suicidal over that) then I read the wikipedia pages of a few of the choices I was considering....genuinely thought di Stefano had played at a few world cups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Really LL? I was only a couple of picks ahead of you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

finally Garrincha goes.

i would have been appalled if he'd not been picked.

yes, i've only seen clips, and heard stories, but the same can be said for much of Pele's career.

to be recognised at the 2nd greatest Brazilian player ever should be reason enough to be picked in this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Baresi is a great pick.

I actually was completely ready to pick Garrincha until Pelé fell to me. I was sure I'd never get Pelé at the fifth pick and was happy with Garrincha.

The only thing I was slightly concerned about picking him was that he wouldn't be hugely well known to everyone.

Baresi was very high up my list of possibilities, but then i realised i had a plum position in picking for the round.

Garrincha is one that could easily not be known, but i'd hope boardsies would know better.

same goes for people like Moore, and especially Puskas.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Garrincha is one that could easily not be known, but i'd hope boardsies would know better.

It was really th eonly concern I had about picking him, I was still going to.

But when someone like Pelé falls to you somehow it's not a pick you can turn down.

Frisbee wrote: »
    But when someone like Pelé falls to you somehow it's not a pick you can turn down.

he is the '1st best' Brazilian after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Fwiw, Pele claims that Garrincha (as well as George Best) were better players than him. No small praise from a man who loves himself, but we all know what Pele's opinion means :P

Archimedes wrote: »
    but we all know what Pele's opinion means :P

An African team is gonna win the WC sure...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

i actually expected Minto to take Baresi when he couldent get Nesta but.... ooo a pm im up back in a mo :)

Matthaus is a great shout.

especially considering this is a 'World Cup' draft, there's few better men really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

SlickRic wrote: »
    Matthaus is a great shout.

especially considering this is a 'World Cup' draft, there's few better men really.

He's an absolute legend who's career is often forgotten, maybe because he wasn't the goalscorer or the stylish centre half. But my god what a leader and player he was. Was suprised to see Garrincha still there quite late and a top, top player he was too.

BH, if you take the guy I have in mind, I will track you down, and I will kill you.

Jus' sayin.

:)

BH, if you take the guy I have in mind, I will track you down, and I will kill you.

Jus' sayin.

:)

good luck tracking me down in Taiwan... doubt i did though. Berkamp & Henry reunited and i dont even support Le Arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

you have a great Bergkamp but a crap Henry though.

• Advertisement

We're clipping along at a great pace today, good work people.

With The Devine Ponytail in my ranks, my team looks something like this so far.

1277131499333468.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

We're clipping along at a great pace today, good work people.

Yeah, and if EagleEye can get on soon theres no reason why we cant have a few of round 8 in too ;)

i'm delighted Baggio got picked.

one of my all-time favourite players.

i was rooting for him, not Italy, the entire '94 World Cup.

The girlfriend just rang me there, down at the beach with her family and having a barbecue later.

"Do yo want to come Bamboozling?" She asks

"No I says i'm quite busy if I hang tight I'll get my next pick sorted out in the world cup draft it's really shapin up well, just got Lothar a while ago and we're gettin through them at a great pace today. I'll meet you in about two hours."

"You sad little man."

I don't care anyway I'm in this to win and were I to take leave now I would be letting myself down, but more importantly i'd be letting my Boardsies down. Can't do it, won't do it.

• Advertisement

The girlfriend just rang me there, down at the beach with her family and having a barbecue later.

"No I says i'm quite busy if I hang tight I'll get my next pick sorted out in the world cup draft it's really shapin up well, just got Lothar a while ago and we're gettin through them at a great pace today. I'll meet you in about two hours."

"You sad little man."

I don't care anyway I'm in this to win and were I to take leave now I would be letting myself down, but more importantly i'd be letting my Boardsies down. Can't do it, won't do it.

...step away from the computer...

"You sad little man."

HAHAHA

Well played, im going to a BBQ now myself but I dont see it getting to me for a few hours anyway :(

"You sad little man."

Wait, if she understood who 'Lothar' is then get to that bbq asap, she's a keeper :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

i actually expected Minto to take Baresi when he couldent get Nesta but.... ooo a pm im up back in a mo :)

He was my original choice, but then I saw (incorrectly) that Nesta was available, so I went with him. The reason I picked Moore was because I had two Italian players already and I have one in mind for a later pick...

curry-muff wrote: »
    Wait, if she understood who 'Lothar' is then get to that bbq asap, she's a keeper :pac:

No her knowledge of football is limited. She only knows who Lothar is because of my constant ramblings the past few days about why Lothar is so important, what he'll do to my team, how my world will fall to pieces if someone nicks him. That's why we're on first name terms with Lothar.

had considerd Baggio myself and although he ruuled for me in that in the hole role in CM years back i see him as slightly more out and out stricker than i do Bergkamp.

apprecciate the sticking about Bamboozlin but id be off trying to do some bamboozlin of my own with the missus if i were you

No her knowledge of football is limited. She only knows who Lothar is because of my constant ramblings the past few days about why Lothar is so important, what he'll do to my team, how my world will fall to pieces if someone nicks him. That's why we're on first name terms with Lothar.

and she listened to you?

the original point stands: she's a keeper.

had considerd Baggio myself and although he ruuled for me in that in the hole role in CM years back i see him as slightly more out and out stricker than i do Bergkamp.

Really? Baggio is a classic trequartista, probably the most famous example of a player in that position. I'd certainly consider him more withdrawn than Bergkamp anyway, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Really? Baggio is a classic trequartista, probably the most famous example of a player in that position. I'd certainly consider him more withdrawn than Bergkamp anyway, imo.

I'd agree,I actually think Bergkamp was a poor pick with the amount of others available

he had all those attributes and ill admit he is a great choice for that role just i always see him in my mind as the finisher of goals rather than the creater but my memory might be kinda warped. Either way he was probably next on my shortlist and is a top pick

• Advertisement

he had all those attributes and ill admit he is a great choice for that role just i always see him in my mind as the finisher of goals rather than the creater but my memory might be kinda warped. Either way he was probably next on my shortlist and is a top pick

They're both suitable for it alright. I was actually talking to another soccer forum member on MSN about how'd I'd pick either Baggio or Bergkamp, depending on who you'd pick (I had a feeling you'd go for one of them as that was an important position for your team!).

With the legends round over people I'm suprised who didn't go:

Jairzinho, Dunga, Guardiola, Gerson, Tostao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I cannot believe that Romario got to me, I was certain he was a top six pick, I was just checking the thread and saying to myself please don't pick him when it got as far as 15.

So its back to regular World Cup 2010 players now right?
    I have a choice of two in different positions I want for this pick but I'll choose one in a short while.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I cannot believe that Romario got to me, I was certain he was a top six pick, I was just checking the thread and saying to myself please don't pick him when it got as far as 15.

So its back to regular World Cup 2010 players now right?
    I have a choice of two in different positions I want for this pick but I'll choose one in a short while.

Don't leave it too long mate. ;)

right, now that the legends round is over...

i must say all ones who I believe should have gone did.

a few I'd have liked to see used...

Gordon Banks.
    the entire Brazil 1970 team.
    Zico.
    Didier Deschamps.
    Marcel Desailly.
    Paul McGrath (if only for the Italy performance!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I thought Zoff, Cafu, Zico, Klinsmann, Batistuta, Charlton and Rossi might have went.

Don't leave it too long mate. ;)

yeah, bamboozling has a patient woman to get to.

:D

Surprised Schmeichel didn't go either, although I guess people wanted to use such a valuable pick on an outfield player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kempes would have been solid up top.

An if it's World Cup we're doing then Just Fontaine could've been a wise addition.

• Advertisement

Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Cafu, Jürgen Klinsmann, Kempes, Peter Shilton, Dino Zoff, Dunga, Hagi, Batistuta, Charlton and Rossi

were just some i expected to go, Was hard not to pick McGrath as a Villa fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Matthaus is a super pick. Pleased he was chosen. I was going to go for him had Beckenbauer been taken before my go.

Aside from the legends already mentioned, I'm surprised Bobby Charlton didn't get picked. Still holds the record of England's top goalscorer, was instrumental in England's WC win, and Fergie for what it's worth regards him as the best player of all time.

Jairzinho was the only one of them on my list.

I had

Cafu, Rivaldo, Zico and Karl-Heinz Rumminegge along with Jairzinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Zico,Rivelino,Carlos Alberto,Bobby Charlton,Yashin,Neeskens,Rossi,Kempes,Gentile,Boniek and Rummenigge might have gone.

Also more recent "legends" such as Edgar Davids, Rivaldo, Gabriel Batistuta and Patrick Kluivert were overlooked, although probably rightly so as better players were available for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The real fun starts now as shortlists get dwindled down to nothing and players get picked after a decent 5 minutes against North Korea :pac:

• Advertisement

How on earth is eagleeye so slow at this game? :mad:

he's old ;)

Chill man, I was watching the game.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Chill man, I was watching the game.

<--- Impatient as hell ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Just to add another one to the list of legends not picked, Fritz Walter. Chosen by the German Football Federation as their golden player ahead of Beckenbauer, Matthäus and Müller. The complete midfielder who led Germany to World Cup glory in 1954.

• Advertisement
Advertisement