Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Still havent decided if ill shunt Ivanovic out to the RB position (if maybe i see a better CB than RB available) but considering how late i left it to work on my defense im very happy to have two such good defenders infront of Casillas.

Iker Casillas

???
    Ivanovic
    Subotic
    ???

Gattuso
    Riquelme

Camronesi
    Bergkamp
    Henry

Gonzalo Higuain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

curry-muff wrote: »
    Nice solid team so far, but is leaving your lead striker and keeper to the last two rounds a bit risky :confused:

Looking forward to see who you produce ;)

Have a keeper in mind alright. As for my striker, I'm just looking for a good finisher. It's a formation that doesn't require much else from my striker - I'll leave the creativity up to Baggio, Robben, Pirlo, Malouda and Affelay :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

unless Eagle eye makes his next pick in the next few minutes ill have to pm my pick to a proxy, maybe just Bamboozlin as he will be after me anyway, otherwise ill have to go offline as ive to be up for work in the morning in around 5 hours

edit: in this case please include him in your pm once youve gone Archi

edit no.2: ill hang on a few more minutes as he just went (i shouldent but meh :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Picks made pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I knew you'd pick him Archie :pac:

Isla is a very good pick considering its round 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bye bye my pick. Damn you BH

127749044812613.jpg

There's a touch of Klaas about it alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Isla was on my shortlist. Definite squeaky bum stuff at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Honda is a great pick at this stage, I had hoped he might slip to me seeing as there are not many of us left needing an Attacking Midfielder, but I had a suspicion that EE might take him.

Edit: My last pick was between Honda, Pienaar and Dempsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Was sickened when Titan took my pick, but delighted to have snapped up Pedro. Was going for a defender but I couldn't turn down Pedro when I found him.

And now I'm sickened :( Damn you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

titan18 wrote: »
    And now I'm sickened :( Damn you

swings and roundabouts! Great thing about this game. Happy with Godín had to do a fair amount of headscratching to try and think of a good defender not already picked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

1277493249174788.jpg

Happy about the shape of my team, would be expecting that when defending Ribery and Pedro would slot back towards the defensive midfielders and leave almost two banks of 4.

The prospect of Eto'o and Ibrahimovic up front is frightening. Ibra gives my team a great outlet and we have great pace on the wings with players who can beat their men.

One of the best young goalkeepers in the world, already a German no1 at 23.

2 quick defenders, one an excellent player on the floor who clears everything the other an immense headerer of the ball but very comfortable on the ball.

Realistically I'd be expecting De Jong to cover Johnson on his forays up the field and to hold station as Matteus bombs forward as he occasionally does. Matteus to dictate the team, the tempo, the rythum and to lead the team.

Now all I need is a consistent, decent left back, not too attacking as I want my team to maintain some shape as Johnson attacks the whole time.

Lloyd, Friedel isn't at the WC.

Howard, Guzan and Hahnemann are the USA keepers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Valdes

Zanetti
    Baresi
    Carvalho
    X

Mascherano

Park Ji Sung
    Stankovic

Good luck trying to break us down fellas!! :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Friedel

Zanetti
    Baresi
    Carvalho
    X

Mascherano

Park Ji Sung
    Stankovic

Good luck trying to break us down fellas!! :)
    I presume thats meant to be Howard in goals or else you picked two players not in the World Cup.;):D

Fixed.

Picked and pm'd, in a friends house boozing now so ill fix it up tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Picked Joe Hart and PM sent

• Advertisement

I don't know if the picks are up to date yet but if not, here are my personal notes of the picks taken which I think are accurate (up as far as BigBenRoeth's recent pick):
    1. Necronomicon - Messi, Forlan, Lahm, Keita, Cannavaro, Maxi Rodriguez, Zidane, Marchena, Schwarzer
    2. SlickRic - Xavi, Terry, Anelka, Nesta, Krasic, Salcido, Maradona, Gilberto Silva, Cahill
    3. Whatawaster - Ronaldo, Gourcuff, Evra, Fletcher, Ozil, Juan, Puskas, Tiago, Yobo
    4. Gillington - Villa, D. Alves, Robinho, Ballack, S. Ramos, Heinze, Cruyff, Stekelenburg, Milner
    5. Frisbee - Rooney, Pique, D. Silva, Akinfeev, Heitinga, Pele, Van Bronckhorst, Meireles
    6. MNG - Drogba, Puyol, Samuel, Arshavin, Lloris, Song, Beckenbauer, Elano, Kolarov
    7. Mr. Guappa - Fabregas, Chiellini, A. Cole, Cech, Van Bommel, Van Der Wiel, Eusebio, Bruno Alves, Dempsey
    8. Redzerdrog - Torres, Schweinsteiger, Mertesacker, Ronaldinho, Veron, Clichy, Platini, Kuyt, Demichelis
    9. Xavi - Lampard, Lucio, Milito, Given, Di Maria, Vidal, P. Maldini, Bradley, Pienaar
    10. Voltwad - Iniesta, Yaya Toure, Aguero, Alex, Howard, Gervinho, Shearer, Elia, Skrtel
    11. Minto - Van Persie, Buffon, J. Cole, Beckham, Donovan, Zambrotta, Moore, Arbeloa, Diaby
    12. BigBenRoeth - Palacios, Vidic, Klose, Modric, Bastos, Sagna, Matthews, Gallas, Barry, Hart
    13. Mitch Connor - Sneijder, De Rossi, Di Natale, Scholes, King, Mata, Muller, K. Toure, Criscito, Friedrich
    14. Curry-muff - Julio Cesar, Gerrard, Suarez, Ferdinand, Sanchez, Busquets, Van Basten, Carragher, Melo, Kalou
    15. LuckyLloyd - Kaka, Mascherano, Carvalho, Zanetti, Stankovic, Park Ji-Sung, Baresi, Frei, Simao, Valdes
    16. Titan18 - Fabiano, Maicon, Hamsik, Dzeko, Capdevila, Toulalan, Garrincha, Lugano, Coentrao, Handanovic
    17. Bamboozling - Eto'o, Ribery, Pepe, Ibrahimovic, Johnson, De Jong, Matthaus, Neuer, Pedro, Godin
    18. Bounty Hunter - Casillas, Higuain, Gattuso, Riquelme, Ivanovic, Henry, Bergkamp, Camoranesi, Subotic, Mathijsen
    19. Archimedes - Robben, Pirlo, Malouda, Essien, Agger, Kjaer, R. Baggio, Marquez, Affelay, Huntelaar
    20. Eagle eye - Alonso, Tevez, Reina, Cambiasso, Podolski, Abidal, Romario, da Silva, Honda, Isla

I don't know if the picks are up to date yet but if not, here are my personal notes of the picks taken which I think are accurate (up as far as BigBenRoeth's recent pick):

Hero.

19 picks in one day, hats off lads ;)

Hang on, I'll revive it for Friday. ;)

For feck's sake, chaps. We've ground to a halt!

Thank this man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

ok there is 3 picks to go before me but i wont be on untill 2morro evenin at the earliest so anyone want to take my pick of me?

Mr. Guappa is due to pick after me so i will pm him my pick now as i have to go

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Mr. Guappa is due to pick after me so i will pm him my pick now as i have to go

PM Received

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Sorry about holding things up, having a mental day today! Made my pick and PM'd!

Minto wrote: »
    Sorry about holding things up, having a mental day today! Made my pick and PM'd!

Michael Dawson is a brilliant pick at this point in the game.
    When I was picking it was between Gallas and Dawson.

Dawson is a shocking pick imo.I like him as a player but this is a WC draft,not a Premiership draft, his lack of international caps means he's a poor pick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've noticed a few players being picked up that are good ability-wise but don't have many caps to their name at all, which effectively makes them poor choices going by the draft rules.

We are only allowed 3 players per country.. by my count Dawson is the 4th English player on Mintos team, along with Beckham, Joe Cole and Bobby Moore.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    We are only allowed 3 players per country.. by my count Dawson is the 4th English player on Mintos team, along with Beckham, Joe Cole and Bobby Moore.

Well spotted, I must have overlooked that rule!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Archimedes wrote: »
    Well spotted, I must have overlooked that rule!

i had NO idea about that rule.

Good job someone mentioned that, im on 3 england players too, so what happens, is he allowed to change his pick or will he have to swap one of his england players out with someone?

He'll have to change his last pick I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

i had NO idea about that rule.
    It's in the OP

Voltwad wrote: »
    It's in the OP

Which was probably branded as a tl;dr by most :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I'll change the pick in a few minutes. I was thinking it might be an issue, but assumed that since Beckham and Moore were picked in special rounds that they didn't count.

• Advertisement

I've noticed a few players being picked up that are good ability-wise but don't have many caps to their name at all, which effectively makes them poor choices going by the draft rules.

Yep! New / young players really aren't that valuable in this format. Average caps per player will be an important factor to weigh up at the end when assessing which teams are better.

I don't think caps are a major issue unless you are talking about low single figures.

international experience and form will count for a lot. it shouldnt really count too much against a young player only making the breakthrough but if the player is older but just never made the breakthrough at international level it should count against them imo

redzerdrog wrote:
    international experience and form will count for a lot.

Can't those be a bit of a contradiction though? Not going to single any players out but there are some who have tremendous experience yet haven't done it of late, so what counts more?

Also, if this is going to be forum-wide are those voting on it going to take the time to take these things into consideration I wonder?

Might be worth sorting this out before the Draft phase ends and the next one begins.

Can't those be a bit of a contradiction though? Not going to single any players out but there are some who have tremendous experience yet haven't done it of late, so what counts more?

Also, if this is going to be forum-wide are those voting on it going to take the time to take these things into consideration I wonder?

Might be worth sorting this out before the Draft phase ends and the next one begins.

My answer to that is i dont really know but I know ronaldo has great international experience but not current form and wasnt considered good enough for the legends round so that should tell us something.

My answer to that is i dont really know but I know ronaldo has great international experience but not current form and wasnt considered good enough for the legends round so that should tell us something.
    He was picked before the legends round, otherwise he would have went in the top 4. He was picked in the 'not at the World Cup' round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ronaldo wasn't picked was he?

He wasn't eligable for Round 7 anyway, he's still playing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ronaldo wasn't picked was he?

He wasn't eligable for Round 7 anyway, he's still playing football.

Yup, Round 4 is the only round he was eligible for.

sorry i ment round 4 he wasnt considered good enough to go in round 4

Well,I don't think international caps should matter really, as there are a few players who are breaking through now, or in the last 1 or 2 years who are performing very well.Guys like Ozil,Kjaer,Coentrao who have performed very well in the WC but wouldn't have too much caps.Plenty of other examples too.There are plenty of guys too who perform poorly at international level but are good at club level, and vice-versa.

Imo,we should vote on international form and the level they have performed at internationally over the qualification for the WC, along with club form in 2010.Not voting on potential to play very well based on performances a few years ago, or the talent the player has.

Also,I think only the 20 who participated should be allowed to vote and not the forum.There are a few others who have clearly followed this through by posting in this thread a few times etc, and we know who they are who could be allowed vote.I don't think it should be opened up to people who have clearly never watched anything other than the Premier League and CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

sorry i ment round 4 he wasnt considered good enough to go in round 4

Yeah because he's no longer at the top of his game. He's still a decent striker by all means and will do a job, but he's a shadow of the player who had defenders the world over shítting themselves knowing they had to face him soon. Without a doubt the best striker I've ever seen play and I was sorely tempted to get him in round 4 for purely sentimental reasons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement