Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

flahavaj wrote: »
    Maybe there could be some compromise.

Have the 20 votes of the participants be worth one vote each. And the votes of the rest of the forum be worth something like 5 votes or something like that? Or treat the rest of the forum as a 21st participant? Either way give the forum a voice but also recognise that the participants should have a greater say. It would also be interesting to see if the participants and the forum pick the same winners.
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Or participants count 1.5, and everyone else counts 1, or something similar.

Yeah thats exactly what I suggested on the previous page. I understand what some of you are saying (regarding how much effort you lot put into this and how you don't want it turned into a joke etc). But I also think so of you are making us (forums users but not participants) out to be "stupid" or at least forgetting that not all of us are incapable of reading and forming informative opinions on teams etc. Its only a minority of people on here, (well I hope so) that would vote without abiding by the rules.

Either way I will follow this as it progresses, as I have been since the start. But I would like to be able to have some impact on it if at all possible.

Frisbee wrote: »
    How? Throwing the toys out of the pram would be something that directly effects the course of the game, either slowing it or stopping it progressing. The game will still flow as it is before without write-ups, the threads just won't be as decent tbh, as what's the point putting the time into doing a good write up of your team when about 50% of the voters will look at the two teams and vote for the one who has the most players from their team/players they know.

50% of people? Thats pure guess work (not that I can guess any better, nobody knows). And people are suggesting that public votes don't count as much as participants votes. To say your just not going to bother making an effort if its public vote is a bit silly imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    50% of people? Thats pure guess work (not that I can guess any better, nobody knows). And people are suggesting that public votes don't count as much as participants votes. To say your just not going to bother making an effort if its public vote is a bit silly imo.

To be fair T-bone3, some people just love voting in polls for the sake of it. Look at any thread in here that involves a poll, you'll see so many names that you've never even seen a single post from. I doubt this one would be any different, and to a lot of idiots, getting "1 up" on a rival team in a forum poll is a big deal. It always happens :(

To be fair T-bone3, some people just love voting in polls for the sake of it. Look at any thread in here that involves a poll, you'll see so many names that you've never even seen a single post from. I doubt this one would be any different, and to a lot of idiots, getting "1 up" on a rival team in a forum poll is a big deal. It always happens :(

Well to be honest, just if its a random name doesn't mean much. I've been reading this forum for a long time. Never really used to post as much as I have been lately. But that doesn't mean I'm just randomly clicking at the same time. But I do get what you mean, I just feel some medium can be reached where we get the best of both worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

This is unfortunately true. I do it myself on other boards all the time.

In the poll regarding who'd finish fourth last season, only 6% or something correctly predicted Spurs and most of them were probably Spurs fans. Most polls on this forum are a joke tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

maybe like someone else suggested the 20 paticipents have 1 vote each making 20 votes and also have a forum vote worth 1, 2 or 3 points whichever people think is best.

But you have to gain access to the soccer forum, which helps some what I would hope.
    In the poll regarding who'd finish fourth last season, only 6% or something correctly predicted Spurs and most of them were probably Spurs fans. Most polls on this forum are a joke tbh.

That poll was started ages ago and people didn't predict spurs getting 4th because no one expected them to beat Chelsea and City etc. They had a very tough run in, other teams had a much better run in. If we could all predict correctly what was going to happen we'd be all millionaires. I love spurs to bits(dads a huge fan etc) and I didn't think they were going to do it back then. Does that make me an idiot? Or mean I didn't vote properly in that poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Im all for the public vote, saying it was laid out at the start and I think it's one of those things that needs to be declared at the start and shouldnt be changed.

However I do agree that most of the polls on here are a complete joke, such as Given being picked as the best keeper in the premiership, in my opinion just because he was Irish.

The only fair compromise would be to have a player and public vote run side by side, trying to get a unanimous decision possibly having to have a clear 4/5 vote win in the player voting before counting public votes as a tiebreaker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That poll was started ages ago and people didn't predict spurs getting 4th because no one expected them to beat Chelsea and City etc. They had a very tough run in, other teams had a much better run in. If we could all predict correctly what was going to happen we'd be all millionaires. I love spurs to bits(dads a huge fan etc) and I didn't think they were going to do it back then. Does that make me an idiot? Or mean I didn't vote properly in that poll?

I never said anyone was an idiot. But I do think you get enough messers voting in polls to make the results of said polls pretty questionable. Perhaps the Spurs example was a poor one but the overall point still stands IMO.

I never said anyone was an idiot. But I do think you get enough messers voting in polls to make the results of said polls pretty questionable. Perhaps the Spurs example was a poor one but the overall point still stands IMO.

Yea suppose, guess its just a pity we have so many messers making the rest of us null and void :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

See the problem though is even if it's not 50% of voters that vote for silly reasons - let's say instead for argument's sake it's only 10% of voters - in a close-run contest where it comes down to a couple of votes, then that 10% have a huge amount of say in determining the winner.

It would ultimately mean that those not in the game, but who have followed it closely, would still have their votes cancelled out by those who haven't followed the game, and who are just voting for the hell of it for some absurd reason.

I would trust the other 19 lads to think carefully and thoughtfully about who they intend to vote for in the match-ups, as I intend to do. While I would trust the majority of the forum to do likewise, I wouldn't have trust in 100% of the board to do so and as I said, in a close run contest, that means a handful of people who haven't given it a great deal of thought will influence the eventual result. Wouldn't that make a mockery of the whole thing?

Unless someone can assure me there is no chance of the above happening then I would have to lend my support to the system we used in the last soccer draft - let everyone vote, but only count those who are involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

MNG essentially summed it up for me. As you say T-bon3 there is a good percentage of SF users who will vote properly on the merits of the two teams involved. But unfortunately for everyone of those there is someone who will vote for a stupid reason and so spoil the poll.

Perhaps we could open the floor for 10 voters to volunteer to add to the 20 participants (so there would be 30 people voting). Those who really want to vote could say so here, and the fact that they are asking to vote clearly means they have some vested interest. Just an idea.

Perhaps we could open the floor for 10 voters to volunteer to add to the 20 participants (so there would be 30 people voting). Those who really want to vote could say so here, and the fact that they are asking to vote clearly means they have some vested interest. Just an idea.

Not a bad idea. Like in the last one where we had Eirebhoy as an impartial voter to break any ties there might be, so with that idea have maybe 11 voters so there can be no ties.

Fair enough. Like I already said, I'm aware of the effort you lot have put it, and it would be a shame if it was undone in any way. Just a pity not everyone can be trusted. Or that there isn't a way to filter them out or anything, ha.

Looking forward to the knockout match ups. When you lot expect to get them going? I know there is still a small amount of picking to be done. Will it start as soon as thats done??

Frisbee wrote: »
    Not a bad idea. Like in the last one where we had Eirebhoy as an impartial voter to break any ties there might be, so with that idea have maybe 11 voters so there can be no ties.

Sounds good to me, but like I said, your the ones who've put the time and effort in, so its up to you lot to decide.

Obviously I'd like to be one of these, if you do decide to go down this road.

Thanks

Looking forward to the knockout match ups. When you lot expect to get them going? I know there is still a small amount of picking to be done. Will it start as soon as thats done??

We got them going straight after the picking was done in the Premiership one iirc.
    Sounds good to me, but like I said, your the ones who've put the time and effort in, so its up to you lot to decide.

Obviously I'd like to be one of these, if you do decide to go down this road.

Thanks

tbf if we do go this route you should be a shoe in for it as you've clearly followed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Pick made and PM sent. Happy out with Muller, especially after todays performance!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd be happy to vote, been following the thing the whole way, really interesting, will have to join in the next one :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'd be happy to vote, been following the thing the whole way, really interesting, will have to join in the next one :D

ScienceNerd and T-Bone shpuld be allowed vote imo, however this could lead to awkwardness if someone comes in like people previously mentioned (who im not going to name) that we dont want having an impact on who wins, i.e people the majority would consider trolls (easiest way to summarise what i mean without either saying something that can be taken out of context or point out individuals im mentioning) who say they have been following the whole thing.

Maybe oif after one or two more say they have been following the whole thing we just use all remaining votes as the tiebreaker vote. i.e with all 20 and T-Bone & ScienceNerd we would now have 22 and could still have a 11-11 tie so the rest of the public vote could be considerd the 23rd vote

• Advertisement

Ditch t-bone and sciencenerd and just have public vote as tie breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

eagle eye wrote: »
    No actually I'm more concerned that certain little groups will vote for each other actually. There is a clique who have notions that they are better than everybody else on this forum and its quite clear that a few of them are in this game going on the 'if its pubic I'm throwing the toys out of the pram' comments.

tinfoil_hat1.jpg

You've mentioned in another post that people in the draft seem to have no respect for the members of this forum. Sounds to me like you have no respect for the members of this draft, if you think people are going to come up with these voting blocks. This isn't the Eurovision ffs.

I know a couple of lads participating in this better than others, but I'm not going to vote on anything other than the merits of a given team. Why? Because I know how much effort I have put into this and realise that the other 19 people have done the same.

Anyway, I'm gutted Diego Perez is gone, he was who I wanted to anchor my midfield.

Pick made and PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

eboué was on my back up list.

this could get interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Damn it was hoping he'd go under the radar for my final pick. Not to worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Frisbee . . . f*ck you. You have a right back. That's what i told myself. I had a nice relaxing morning, thinking he was all mine

Frisbee . . . f*ck you. You have a right back. That's what i told myself. I had a nice relaxing morning, thinking he was all mine

That's exactly why I took Heitinga, he could play 3 different positions so I could see who was left where before picking :D

Pick made, pm sent.

Now to see which goalkeepers these two pr*cks steal on me.

Eh Ric, Ricardo is retired from International duty. Eduardo is Portugal's keeper!

• Advertisement

Eh Ric, Ricardo is retired from International duty. Eduardo is Portugal's keeper!

ha, I've actually not paid proper attention at all, and assumed he was the same one.

damn similar names.

i'll be back in a while.

EDIT: done, and PM sent.

Muslera, along with the rest of the Uruguayan backline, has been solid as a rock. delighted to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Done, and PM sent. I'll wait until we're all finished for a proper write-up, but my team:

M.Schwarzer

M.Pareira
    F.Cannavaro
    C.Marchena
    P.Lahm-

C.Poulsen
    S.Keita

Z.Zidane(c)

L.Messi
    M.Rodriguez

D.Forlan

Done, and PM sent. I'll wait until we're all finished for a proper write-up, but my team:

M.Schwarzer

M.Pareira
    F.Cannavaro
    C.Marchena
    P.Lahm-

C.Poulsen
    S.Keita

Z.Zidane(c)

L.Messi
    M.Rodriguez

D.Forlan

Poulsen was on my shortlist of 3 for my next pick :(

Poulsen's a great pick at this late stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I picked Perez over Poulsen in a coin toss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Have to say Ric your team is looking pretty slick :pac:

• Advertisement

Pick made, PM sent.

As with Necro, I'll wait to do the full write-up.

Here's the team though.

Muslera
    Pantsil
    Terry
    Nesta
    Salcido
    Gilberto Silva

Xavi
    Krasic
    Cahill

Maradona

Anelka

It was hard for me to decide between Eboué/Pantsil/A N Other for my previous pick. Eboués general messing and the Arsenal bias won me over.

Got bored, so here are the first 2 completed teams.

Necronomicon:
    1277737349771663.jpg

SlickRic:
    1277737570174133.jpg

why is Paintsil holding an Israel flag :o

Voltwad wrote: »
    why is Paintsil holding an Israel flag :o

i seem to recall that he might be Jewish; i could have plucked that straight from my ass though.

but he also played in Israel for a few seasons, so that might be it.

i really don't know the exact reason.

• Advertisement

Doesn't really explain it but from wiki:
    Following the first and second goals in Ghana's 2–0 victory over the Czech Republic on 17 June 2006, he celebrated by waving an Israeli flag, he also waved as the final whistle blew. This action provoked some protests in his native country Ghana and the Arab world.[10] Afterwards the Ghanaian Football Association issued an apology, and said of Pantsil "He was naive".[11]

Pick made, and PM sent.

David James

Geremi
    Juan
    Joseph Yobo
    Patrice Evra

Darren Fletcher
    Tiago

Mesut Ozil
    Yoann Gourcuff
    Cristiano Ronaldo---

Ferenc Puskas

Pick made, and PM sent.

David James

Geremi
    Juan
    Joseph Yobo
    Patrice Evra

Darren Fletcher
    Tiago

Mesut Ozil
    Yoann Gourcuff
    Cristiano Ronaldo---

Ferenc Puskas

whatawaster:
    1277738391435383.jpg

Gillington:
    127773976913064.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

had pantsil picked as my rb i was certain i would get him:mad::mad::mad: i even put my list of players in the fire and cant remember who else was on it apart from eboue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Weve gotten awful slow :( At this rate the thing wont be over by oxegen :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Frisbee has his right-back, then? Because I had three names on my shortlist for that position and two of them are gone thanks to SlickRic and Necro. If I lose the last guy I have in mind I'll be in trouble. :eek:

Sorry lads I was in work, I'll have a pick up shortly

My final pick, I'll give it some structure tomorrow.

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Last pick made and PM sent.

Zokora fits in nicely with the pace, power and energy of my team.

right, Redzerdog needs a kick; 2 rounds in a row now.

i'm a patient man, but...

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement